Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bulldog

V Beam laser

hey there~

i have shallow ice pick scarring and my dermatologist, whom i have the utmost respect for, recommended that i try the v-beam laser. however, because the office where he currently works does not have the v-beam he is not able to perform this on me himself. thus, he suggested that i go to one of the top laser surgeons in the country (who happens to live in a city near me) and have him use the v-beam on me. when i went for my appointment with this laser surgeon he suggested that i get CO2 and then the v-beam. he said that the v-beam by itself would not really help my situation. to make a long story short, i decided against the CO2 and this laser surgeon in general, and upon talking to my regular dermatologist he thought that i really didn't need the CO2 and that the v-beam alone would show noticeable positive results for me. anyway, i then had my derm recommend another laser surgeon to me for a second opinion. this surgeon suggested that i get either CO2 or non-ablative laser surgery. i talked to her about the v-beam and she said that this really won't do anything for scarring at all--it's more to get rid of wrinkles and such. so, that's the info i've encountered regarding the v-beam. it can be difficult and frustrating to get recommendations from laser surgeons and dermatologists because it seems everyone has their own differing opinions. nonethelss, the second laser surgeon that i mentioned was very informative and very cool, definitely giving me better vibes than the first guy i saw. she works with a highly reputable laser surgeon in chicago at northwestern university hosptials. what i'm going to end up having done is the non-ablative surgery which will use a 1064 yag laser, helping to rebuild collagen, the key to healing scarring. i'll have 4 treatments at around 300 bucks apiece. the success rate for healing scarring with this laser is 30-60 percent. redness lasts for about an hour or so and then your skin returns to its normal color. apparently the yag works best for people with fair skin, like myself. we'll see what happens. it's the most promising method i've heard of yet. i haven't encountered much talk about the 1064 yag laser on this forum, although once i mentioned it and didn't get much response.

hey there keep us informed how it goes and the results you see after each treatment. Im always looking for new stuff to see which is best for me before i decide as im sure a lot of other people on this board are the same as well

hey again~

the exact name that the laser surgeon gave me was the '1064 nd yag laser'. from my understanding this is not the erbibum/yag, however, i could be wrong. i will definitely keep you updated as to how the treatment works out. i'll post after each individual treatment to let you know if there is any visible improvement. the first laser session will take place at the end of may and will continue through august, as there's a 2-3 week break between each treatment. from what i've heard, a lot of people notice a positive change in their scarring after the second treatment, but of course, it differs for every individual.

i'll keep you posted. :evil:

My understanding is that V beam is better for spider veins and light wrinkles. I have had Smoothbeam done, and will have 2 more spaced one month apart. Smoothbeam is a collagen remodeler and is suppose to help with depressed scarring. The yag laser CJ is referring to must be a "cooled" laser, otherwise redness would be visible longer than 1 day. This laser sounds similar to the smoothbeam.

Anyway, you can see my post under the smoothbeam topic.....