Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
windycitycassie

Anyone else had YAG?

I had -1- YAG laser session with a Dr. Dayan in Chicago about 18 months or so ago, and I guess I can't tell that it really did anything. 90% of my problems are large pores (icepicks?) that make my skin just sort of appear a bit rough. None of them are even bigger than 1mm, so I don't know what sort of options I have anyway.

At any rate, they used a topical anaesthetic that I had on my face for 40min prior, and then he took like 20 minutes to do my entire face. After it basically felt like a really bad sunburn, and I had to keep aquaphor on it for a few days after, and the redness was pretty much gone in a week.

So, anyone else had a similar experience? The Dr. didn't want to do CO2 since he thought it would be overkill, and also wanted me to come in for up to 6 YAG sessions, so I was wondering if he was just trying to milk me for more money.

TIA! smile.gif

Well, I think some of mine are scarred pores, since they only seem to be bigger in areas where I had acne when I was younger. So, lasers can only possibly fix pores that are bigger due to damage and not ones that are 'normally' large? Or is it untrue in either case?

I have large pores. I think large pores are genetic and are basically with you for life. I know proponents of Intense Pulse Light for instance claim pores can be made smaller but Im yet to see any pictures to prove it. Some people will have temporarilly enlarged pores due to an increase in sebaceous gland activity during their active acne phase which may shrink back somewhat when the skin become less oily.

I had -1- YAG laser session with a Dr. Dayan in Chicago about 18 months or so ago, and I guess I can't tell that it really did anything.  90% of my problems are large pores (icepicks?) that make my skin just sort of appear a bit rough.  None of them are even bigger than 1mm, so I don't know what sort of options I have anyway.

At any rate, they used a topical anaesthetic that I had on my face for 40min prior, and then he took like 20 minutes to do my entire face.  After it basically felt like a really bad sunburn, and I had to keep aquaphor on it for a few days after, and the redness was pretty much gone in a week.

So, anyone else had a similar experience?  The Dr. didn't want to do CO2 since he thought it would be overkill, and also wanted me to come in for up to 6 YAG sessions, so I was wondering if he was just trying to milk me for more money.

TIA! smile.gif

As I said, it did nothing and I was charged $1200 a treatment. Perhaps they mean 20-30% after 3 sessions? I was very red for a week and had aquaphor on my face for like 4 days.

I'd love to hear other input too, so I am bumping the thread. smile.gif

Hi Cassie - I also live in Chicago and had LYRA/Yag by another doctor. My experience was rather different though. I had absolutely no pain or topical anesthetic. The whole thing was under 10 minutes. Only a cooling gel was applied to my face beforehand. He said that I come in for up to 4 or 5 treatments & then a reevaluation. Each treatment was $300 but I was only getting my forehead and nasal (and paranasal) areas treated...not my entire face like you did. It's the type of thing that cannot be done with 1 treatment to see real results. I also did photomodulation with the LED gentlewaves system 4 times at $100 per treatment. Not Much time has gone by but my skin is already feeling softer and has a little more clarity to it. Did you have any of this in the beginning? Or did you never see results? I think the overall look is "tighter" - just very subtle right now. You can still see most of everything that I started with. I am concerned that I seem to have 1 scar that looks to be getting deeper.

My baseline state was a series of shallow acne scars and wrinkles due to cystic acne treated with accutane many years ago. I also had premature aging from going tanning too much. My acne scars looked worse as I aged. They are still very superficial though compared to what some people have. I only have a handful of deep icepick scars.

My baseline seems similar to yours. smile.gif Thanks for the reply.

But no, I had none of the benefits you mention, and at $1200 a try it wasn't really worth it I guess.

I'll be trying some IPL treatments (Galaxy is the name of the one) most likely in a month or two though, and will post how that goes for me.

Thanks a lot for the reply. biggrin.gif

My baseline seems similar to yours. smile.gif  Thanks for the reply.

But no, I had none of the benefits you mention, and at $1200 a try it wasn't really worth it I guess.

I'll be trying some IPL treatments (Galaxy is the name of the one) most likely in a month or two though, and will post how that goes for me.

Thanks a lot for the reply. biggrin.gif

Shyana,

Did the doctor give you anything for the build up of keratin, perhaps Retin-A? I think that's what I have, and I am using Retin-A. I still get lots of blocked pores, though. I have scarred pores and a few larger holes. I am going to get a few that bother me the most punch floated and dermabraded. This may help with the scarred pores as well.

Yes, I had 1 YAG, cost me $1500 caused me a great deal of hyperpigmentation and it did nothing for my scars....total waste....would have been better off without it.

Sorry we've all had poor stories about this. sad.gif

I am seeing two doctors the week after next so I'll report what they both say I guess. hehe. Right now cash is no problem, it is more time off work. Wonder what they'll both say they want to do.

no doubt - did you just have 1 yag treatment? how far after the procedure did you get the hyperpigmentation? was your treatment like cassie's with topical anesthetic & healing time or was it more like mine w/o anesthetic and no down time? thanks... i have 3-4 more treatments to go on which i dont think i want to do if it going ot make things worse (And my wallet lighter)

no doubt - did you just have 1 yag treatment?  how far after the procedure did you get the hyperpigmentation?  was your treatment like cassie's with topical anesthetic & healing time or was it more like mine w/o anesthetic and no down time?  thanks... i have 3-4 more treatments to go on which i dont think i want to do if it going ot make things worse (And my wallet lighter)

Shyana,

Did the doctor give you anything for the build up of keratin, perhaps Retin-A?  I think that's what I have, and I am using Retin-A.  I still get lots of blocked pores, though.  I have scarred pores and a few larger holes.  I am going to get a few that bother me the most punch floated and dermabraded.  This may help with the scarred pores as well.

Hi Cassie - I also live in Chicago and had LYRA/Yag by another doctor.  My experience was rather different though.  I had absolutely no pain or topical anesthetic.  The whole thing was under 10 minutes.  Only a cooling gel was applied to my face beforehand.  He said that I come in for up to 4 or 5  treatments & then a reevaluation.  Each treatment was $300 but I was only getting my forehead and nasal (and paranasal) areas treated...not my entire face like you did.  It's the type of thing that cannot be done with 1 treatment to see real results.  I also did photomodulation with the LED gentlewaves system 4 times at $100 per treatment.  Not Much time has gone by but my skin is already feeling softer and has a little more clarity to it.  Did you have any of this in the beginning?  Or did you never see results?  I think the overall look is "tighter" - just very subtle right now.  You can still see most of everything that I started with.  I am concerned that I seem to have 1 scar that looks to be getting deeper. 

My baseline state was a series of shallow acne scars and wrinkles due to cystic acne treated with accutane many years ago.  I also had premature aging from going tanning too much.  My acne scars looked worse as I aged.  They are still very superficial though compared to what some people have.  I only have a handful of deep icepick scars.

Ok I found out why this is different for me than you two.... I had Lyra/Yag and you guys both had Erbium-YAG...

Lyra/Yag is a slow process of multiple treatments requiring no topical anesthetic that shows very slow results (hopefully) over 6 months to a year.

Erbium-YAG is much more invasive and requires healing & peeling as you describe.

My doc does not perform Erbium-YAG and says results are not usually what people want (as you have all described). Lyra hasnt done anything yet other than some softening but i have to wait a year.

Shyana,

Regarding your previous post (off topic), do you know if people who have the excess keratin buildup are more likely to have subdermal scarring, so that when dermabrasion is performed more scarring can be revealed? Is this not a potential problem with the peels you've had, or do they not go deep enough? This is why I am having a couple of punch floats and a tiny spot dermabrasion over them to see if I respond well.

Thanks!

I had Lyra, it is Yerbium:YAG I think...

Anyway, according to the last two doctors I've seen, it doesn't do much of anything. It doesn't go deep enough to stimulate collagen, and its fairly superficial so it can't really even out skin levels, either.

I had another dr. recommend Fraxel to me the other day, but i'll be trying subcision + IPL to even out my skin tone and see how that goes for now.