Find results in...
clayjar

All Acne Sufferers

Are You Thin or Overweight?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Are You Thin or Overweight?

• Thin (difficulty gaining weight)
    • Overweight

Please answer whether you would consider yourself thin with a high metabolism or overweight with a sluggish metabolism. It would be interesting to see if there is a correlation between high metabolism and acne as I have read that hyperthyroidism (high metabolism) can produce acne. Thanks for participating!

I am 18 years old, about 5'9" (short compared to the other men in my family) and weigh 120 lb. I'd consider myself a little too thin. Sometimes I eat a lot, sometimes I eat very little, my weight doesn't seem to fluctuate that much. I have very little bodily fat, also about average in strength but don't really look like it. Sound odd?

With the case of Hypothryoidism, some of the acne or even all can improve by just taking your thyroid meds (and/or following a diet that doesn't encourage hypothyroidism).

I suspect there's some kind of connection between acne and metabolism.

When I do cardio exercise, my acne always gets better. Now why is that I wonder?

Well, when you do cardio your metabolism increases, and you burn fat (lipids) easier. Sebum is a lipid, and therefore Im thinking there could be a connection.

Also, B5 works by increasing metabolism and lipids, and this seems to help some acne sufferers.

Just a thought

Hey

I have a very fast metabolism; and because of it I believe fortunately my acne is able to clear up faster in the short term , although it still exists. For example, red marks will heal very quickly and generally I think my digestion works at a faster rate, and so the skin is healed and is more healthier - and aside from that -I can eat as much as I want- mind you, healthy things, and not put on weight biggrin.gif, otherwise it'd be lost and I'd dissapear into thin air

I used to be highly overweight and with a slow metabolism but I went on a diet and lost 70lbs and now I got a pretty quick metabolism but even worse acne then before.

Bump. I should add that if you consider yourself to not be neither, to not vote. I hope that's self evident.

Thin -- Fast Metabolism -- have difficulty gaining weight

Overweight -- the inverse...

Huge lopside

I always believed there was a correlation, I think it points to Acne having alot to do w/ digestion or lack there of

You know whats funny I always thought weight had something to do with acne. All of my friends that do have acne are super thin. And I have personally never seen a bigger person with acne.

I used to be on the heavier side and I didn't have pimples for that little while of my life, then I lost all the weight and am now 115 pounds and as soon as I lost the weight I flared up.

Weird.

remarkable results!!!!

what does this mean for us i would like to know.

can it be defined as metabolism or just body structure, we are assuming there are major differences in they way our bodys function, soley based on their shape and structure, is this belief justified by what we know about the body?? perhaps, but i wouldnt assume it, it needs to be investigated further.

I had acne when I was medium-sized with a fast metabolism, when I played sports and when I didn't. I lost weight and still had acne, I starved myself and exercised all summer to the point of dropping below the minimum weight for my health and still had acne, my metabolism has since slowed down because of this but I'm still underweight by BMI and I still have acne.

If any mod could add this: "[difficulty gaining weight]" after "thin with a high metabolism" i'd appreciate (and wouldn't have to make a new almost equal poll) because i suspect there might be many people misunderstanding the concept of "thin", and reaching the conclusion that since the thread's title is "...for all acne sufferes", and they aren't overweight, they must be thin, which would invalidate the whole purpose of the poll.

Thanks.

These results do make a lot of sense (i myself am a six foot 140 pound fellow who eats a TON but never gains a pound)

at my school however, there are quite a bit of overweight people with acne, but prehaps theirs is caused by some other problem (football helmet, poor diet or something)

does burning calories super fast increase inflammation?

...sometimes i feel like everything is a cause when it comes to acne...

The fact that bulimics are likely to get acne, and that putting your body into famine mode slows your metabolism to a crawl, and that long-term bulimics typically end up overweight, seem to me to be evidence that burning calories fast has nothing to do with that. Unless you wish to say the extremes in glycemic load are what brings acne out in bulimics...

It seems that the majority of people on this forum are thin, but out in the real world, open ur eyes, plenty of fat people with acne. They probably aren't on this board cuz they don't give a shit about acne, they are too worried about being fat.

I'm 5'6" and right smack in the middle of the normal healthy range for my height.

I've observed zero relationship between my level of physical activity and how many zits I have.

...also, I see plenty of overweight and normal weight people with acne. Perhaps these people tend not to attract as much attention as thin people with acne? I honestly would have thought there'd be a stronger relationship between being overweight and acne, as both conditions are made worse by excessive simple carb consumption, right?

Naturally thin with a bigger gut than normal (have had it since i was really young, but everything else about me was thin...) but ive been lifting for a little bit so not exactly thin anymore

These results are incredible...90% of people who voted, voted that they are thin rather than overweight.

Coincidence? I think not....

PS people: This is a three year old thread. There are several other similar threads scattered throughout these forums.

You guys that voted thin, do you have trouble gaining weight? That is, even though you seem to eat a lot, you can't gain much weight. Is that true?

It's true for me. I get a high metab from my dad who also had pretty bad acne (mom kind of does but tends to gain too much weight).

All 4 of my cousins (boys) on my dad's side are super tall, thin, and got acne at puberty.

What I can figure is that when the body burns the calories, it's also burning the vital nutritional support our bodies need. People who are tall also tend to be thinner hence from this theory may have more acne. This can often be genetic which is why roots are important. It's my belief that ancestral diets and environment are crucial to this theory. Like how they've found clinical obesity could be due to those who's ancestors lived in cold climates with less food.

This, after all, could be complete bologna but it's worth looking into.

I'm thinking milk could have a lot to do with it? Maybe not...but in today's world it's everywhere and only a number of decades ago was it in minute amounts. It could lead to excessive bone growth, hormonal imbalance, and of course the acne. Milk is also noted for its help in slimming the body. They say it kills hunger and the calcium speeds up the elimination of fat.