Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So, Ive been doing some Accutane research and am willing to take it. My doctor, however, says no. How priceless is my Doctor? Gotta love her...

Anyways- Im starting to feel like there's no end in sight. I was thinking about doing some type of Laser treatment but am having trouble finding information about it. If anyone's done laser treatment, can you tell me about your experience and results? Also, What are the best types of lasers for getting rid of acne and also, red marks/scars? Thanks so much in advance!

Hey,

First off I believe you have to take one step at a time. First get rid of the active acne. Then you have to wait. Then you treat the scarring.

I've seen someone with really bad acne do the ALA photodynamic therapy and have great success. He had been on accutane previously, and the acne came back.

Anyway, that's all the advice I can give on lasers or lights. I don't know a heck of a lot about them except that for the most part there are mixed reviews. LIke with everything.

Take care smile.gif

My dermatologist is one of the best laser surgeons on the east coast. Part of the reason he is my current dermatologist is because I read a post that ALA lasers could cure acne with less effects than Accutane. So I did some research and found his name. Fortunately, he is in my insurance company network and I don’t need to pay a lot to see him - - though I would have.

When I went for my first consultation, I had been off of Accutane for two months (after two months on) because my initial breakout was so incredibly bad, it seemed as if I was having an allergic reaction to the drug. I wanted lasers. I wanted to be acne-free and would have paid anything in order to achieve this. I wanted a miracle cure. He looked at me, reviewed my file and blood work and said, “You will never be happy unless you complete your course of Accutane.� He went on to explain that lasers are a temporary cure for acne, especially when it is cystic and severe like mine. He said that I could spend thousands of dollars on laser treatments and my acne would probably come back.

So, there I was, sitting in this great laser doctor’s office and he is telling me to stay on Accutane. He knew I was desperate and would have spent a large amount of money but he was decent and honest. He didn’t take my money. He gave me excellent advice and now, almost three months later, I am happy that I listened.

As far as a bad reaction to Accutane again, it never happened. He put me on prednisone and a low dose of twenty milligrams a day. Unlike my previous dermatologist who kept wanting to raise my dose as fast as possible, my new doctor is a doll who knows what they would do to my skin again.

I don’t post this to negate lasers altogether. I am sure that they work extremely well for some people and are a good option for many. This is only my personal experience and I’m certain that other experiences vary.

Thanks to both of you, First of all!!!

Well, as far as Accutane goes- Apparently its mainly reserved for severe acne. Mine is not severe but it is moderate considering I get cysts/nodules. I think thats why my Dr is hesitant about putting me on it. I also havent tried anything except for Retin A Micro. Im brand new to the acne world, so she was telling me No Dr would give me it yet. I could visit any Dr and theyd all say No.

Lasers, however, seem to do similar things as Accutane but its much less involved. (Meaning bloodwork and weekly check ups, etc)

I mean, you never know if even Accutane will work for cystic acne. Ive seen some posts saying "im on my 3rd course" and I just think to myself- I couldnt do that. I wouldnt mind if it isnt "permanent", because I dont think Accutane is permanent either. (For some it might be, but with my luck- id relapse in a few months!!) Going back in a year for another treatment doesnt really seem that terrible. Going back on Accutane in a year, seems kind of daunting.

I dont know- I dont have much room to talk because I really have never been on any kind of therapy yet, so my information is limited. You would know more than I, so I understand what youre saying. I should talk to a dermatologist after my 8 weeks on the Retin A Micro, and see what they have to say because theyll actually be looking at my skin, ya know? LIke your Dr knew the laser wouldnt benefit you.

Thanks again for the information- I hope we all figure this thing out!

I say get on Accutane soon if your acne is progressivly getting worse so that it doesnt go to a HORRIBLE state of acne. Kill it while its just beggining before it gets toooo bad.

Do any of you live in so. cal? There's a radio station called KOST that is constantly advertising the laser and dermatology institute. There's one in Irvine, Covina, Bev. Hills. They make it sound soooooo wonderful. The morning guy has apparently been there and it was sooooooo wonderful. I think he went on and on about his lasik surgery too at another time and that his doctor was soooooo wonderful. They apparently have 26 different lasers there and "surely" one of them can help you with your acne (his words). Just wondering if anyone ever tried that. I swear they're gonna snag me one of those days. Of course, I get excited when I see the pro-active commercials too. I always feel like Puff Daddy surely wouldn't lie to me about his acne problems LOL. Rambling now. TTYL

I have spent SO much money on photo facials and laser treatments and microderabrasion, and I am now on Accutane. Nothing ever worked for me, just wasted a lot of money. My derm that prescribed me the Accutane told me that those are great procedures after your acne is gone, it works great to resurface your skin for scars. So my advise is get rid of acne first other wise you are wasting money, and if you have acne when you get it done, it hurts like hell.

Oh I have also tried Proactive, rip off for me! I love Puffy but it does not work for me, I actually hear Jessica Simpson on a Proactive commercial today too! They must get paid to do them. I would do it to if they paid me!