Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alright. I started using Salicylic Acid as the main treatment for my acne since middle of January 2005. I bought MUAC's 8% Beta Hydroxy Serum, and use it every 3-4 days, for deep-cleaning my pores, and as a prep for my weekly chemical peels.

I've read info about beta hydroxy (salicylic acid) and it seems it's the only topical that really goes deep within the pores and dissolves(?) comedones and oil. And my face is full of whiteheads, all the time. If i scratch my face whitehead seeds will always go under my nails. So I chose this product over BP. Besides, BP burns my skin, can't use it.

So knowing that beta hydroxy will push the gunk from the pores, I know I will have breakouts initially, as SA pushes all the dirty stuff to the surface. I expected breakouts, and I did. On my forehead and my cheeks and my chin. And I expected that when the pores are already cleaned and controlled by beta hydroxy, there'd be no more clogged pores, and pimples, right?

I'm on my third week on this regimen. And today, I woke up to the most hideous breakout I've ever had in the longest time. Over 20+ pimples appeared in the span of 10 hours. I blame this on my diet and hormones as well.

My question is, for those who've used SA and was successful with it, did you break out really bad after weeks of treatment? How soon till your pimples cleared up?

Please help me on this - I still have faith on SA and willing to continue for at least a month before giving up, but I must know if somebody went through the same thing and succeeded in controlling breakouts.

Alright. I started using Salicylic Acid as the main treatment for my acne since middle of January 2005. I bought MUAC's 8% Beta Hydroxy Serum, and use it every 3-4 days, for deep-cleaning my pores, and as a prep for my weekly chemical peels.

I've read info about beta hydroxy (salicylic acid) and it seems it's the only topical that really goes deep within the pores and dissolves(?) comedones and oil. And my face is full of whiteheads, all the time. If i scratch my face whitehead seeds will always go under my nails. So I chose this product over BP. Besides, BP burns my skin, can't use it.

So knowing that beta hydroxy will push the gunk from the pores, I know I will have breakouts initially, as SA pushes all the dirty stuff to the surface. I expected breakouts, and I did. On my forehead and my cheeks and my chin. And I expected that when the pores are already cleaned and controlled by beta hydroxy, there'd be no more clogged pores, and pimples, right?

I'm on my third week on this regimen. And today, I woke up to the most hideous breakout I've ever had in the longest time. Over 20+ pimples appeared in the span of 10 hours. I blame this on my diet and hormones as well.

My question is, for those who've used SA and was successful with it, did you break out really bad after weeks of treatment? How soon till your pimples cleared up?

Please help me on this - I still have faith on SA and willing to continue for at least a month before giving up, but I must know if somebody went through the same thing and succeeded in controlling breakouts.

I've only just begun my SA treatment, but I wonder if using only 8% was enough. I was using a 15% sample and it seemed to do ok, but my face handled it very well, didn't even get the slightest red, and I used it everyday before I ran out (got some 30% on order) and I have sensitive fair skin. So, maybe you should use a higher percentage.

Also, I got the straight stuff from a peel site. You said you were using a serum, which leads me to believe it had other stuff in it that maybe your skin didn't like.

Just a few thoughts.

Ive used so many SA products in the past, my face looking worse and worse and never getting better. I then realized that SA was the reason why my face looked so terrible in the first place. Not only did it not prevent more pimples, but it forced all new ones to form into white heads. I had so many whiteheads on my face, not tiny ones, huge ones. It was just disgusting. I dont know , it seems to have different effect on different people, but for me it just didnt help at all. It even made red marks worse.

I found SA just didn't prevent my face from breaking out, just helped dry up existing spots and help my oily skin. I've been on AHA for nearly 3 weeks, and still a consistant flow of whiteheads which come up. However, AHA's may help me out more than BHA's because i believe they have the ability to go deeper than BHA to un-glue the bond of dead skin and help with discolourations, improve complexion.

Your completey right about how SA is pushing all the siht in your pores to the surface...but maybe thats not a good thing hey..i mean if it speeds up the process of a spot, but never seems to prevent, then like me...just a consistant production of whiteheads.

I've only just begun my SA treatment, but I wonder if using only 8% was enough.  I was using a 15% sample and it seemed to do ok, but my face handled it very well, didn't even get the slightest red, and I used it everyday before I ran out (got some 30% on order) and I have sensitive fair skin.  So, maybe you should use a higher percentage. 

Also, I got the straight stuff from a peel site.  You said you were using a serum, which leads me to believe it had other stuff in it that maybe your skin didn't like.

Just a few thoughts.

You're onto something here. The serum I use has Isopropyl alcohol on it, which is a major irritant....but also effective in deep-cleaning the skin. I was thinking that maybe my skin will be able to handle alcohol upon more use, but I dunno.

Which site did you get your SA? I want to order. Thanks!

how long did you use SA?

I got my sample from platinum skin care, but placed my main 30% order from naturalskinshop as well... which I haven't gotten yet.