Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sandovaal

IPL (intense pulsed light) Treatments

I have had 3 IPL treatments for my rolling and pitted scars and I am satisfied with the results so far. I do not expect a miracle cure with IPL, but it has improved my skin in three ways. It has plumped up my scars gradually :D , evened out my skin tone :D (which used to be blotchy from post acne scars) and reduced my pore size :wink: (quite dramatically I must say).

Each treatments takes about 10 - 15 minutes; the flashing of the IPL feels nothing more than a short burst of heat. It was painless to me. One nice after-effect is that my skin feels taut after each treatment, but this feeling only lasts perhaps a week. If I have the money, I would have done microdermabrasion together with IPL, which I am sure would result in greater improvements. I'm scheduled for 3 more IPL treatments, and would keep you guys posted.

Ok sorry. Let me rephrase what i said. what sort of treatment is it. Non-evasive or evasive. How much does it cost and does it have any comparsions with other lasers.

non-ablative...The cost depends on where you live...I've had it done before for 500 bucks a session, but that was with a well-known surgeon.

You can find more info on IPL here : http://www.yestheyrefake.net/intense_pulsed_light.htm.

IPL is not a laser, what it emits is high intensity light. It is therefore a non-invasive, or what others call non-ablative procedure. It doesn't physically remove any scars but rather works from the inside out, inducing collagen growth. I would recommend people with post-acne hyperpigmentation to give IPL a try because I definitely do see results. I would say I had a 30 - 40% improvement on my scars by the 2nd treatment, although the scars are still there all right :?

I'm from Singapore and had it done for S$180 per treatment, which comes up to U.S.$101. This is almost similar to the microdermabrasions I had at S$200 per treatment. The place I went to is comparatively cheap, because there are derms that have quoted me S$800 for one combined treatment of CoolTouch and IPL!

Anyway, I am seriously looking into subcision, and have made an appointment with one derm who combines subcision with injectable Perlane filler. From the subcision reports I've read, most subcision procedures are stand-alone treatments with no mention of filler injection thereafter. Perlane is a clear gel that is used to fill-in or plump-up wrinkles/scars/lips, but its effect is temporary, lasting 6 - 9 months before it gets absorbed into the body. Has anyone had subcision followed by filler injection in one full procedure? Anyway, I'll be seeing him on Monday and will grill him on this. HA...I may even do subcision the very same day if he can convince me enough... :D In any case, I'll keep you guys posted.

I went to a derm today to have her look at my acne scarring on my neck. She said not to get CO2 laser on the neck because it could cause scarring. She recommended 5 IPL treatments coupled with 3 microdermabrasions at a total cost of 1500 Canadian. This I thougt is expensive because I had a clinic that I went to that did 3 microderms and what I think was IPL for 160 canadian on my neck only. The only difference was that it was done by a technician not a doctor. I didn't see any real results so I stopped after three and wasn't convinced that the technician knew what she was doing. I'm thinking maybe the derm will be more skilled. She said she did a fellowship from harvard on acne scarring.

My other option on my neck is the more gentle erbium laser. SHe referred my to a derm in toronto and I will call her tomorrow.

The more I investigate my options the more I see it as a buyer beware. The clinics offering IPL and microdermabraion are popping up everywhere but how many know what they are doing and how many are in it for a fast buck. Be careful

IPL did nothing about my scars(dented). IPL is for the treatment of red marks and red blemishes. It did nothing for my scars. If you want to try waste your money on IPL its your own opinion. I have done 5 treatments nothing happen!