Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I just wanted to warn all of you and let you in on my experience. If nothing else, I hope we can all learn from each others mistakes.

I had terrible cystic acne when I got pregnant with my son. After I had him, I would do anything to get rid of the scars. I did a few small things at first. A couple of deep microdermabrasions, retin-a , glycolic acid peels. But I wasn't happy with the results. I had hyperpigmentation and some ice pick scarring as well. Well, my Dr. told me that lasers were the way to go. He talked me into 2 VLS lasers ( same as v-beam) for the hyperpigmentation the first one wasn't bad but the second one bruised me like crazy. Well, that helped with the hyperpigmentation but I still suffered from some indents and such that I didn't like. My Dr. said the newest thing to do was Thermage. The best thing about this product is not only would it help "soften" the acne scars by heating the dermal layer and stimulating the collagen it would also help with whatever acne I was still having. Sounds great doesn't it? Well, I bought into it. I did it and I did not think about the possible side effects. As my dr. said there were none except a little redness and swelling for a few days. Well, today I suffer from ALOT of fat loss in my cheeks. I once had very full cheeks...I liked them. However, now they are thin and so is my skin on both sides of my cheeks. My acne scars are starting to worsen and I know it is not my imagination. I believe it is due to the increasing fat loss that I am still suffering from over a year past these lasers. I also think the VLS lasers may have contributed to this also. I hate my skin now MORE than I did before I had anything done. I wish I could go back in time and not have done anything with lasers and went the conservative route and just stuck with the peels and retin-a. I think I would be in a better place right now. I am so crazy over this, I am unsure of what to do. the scars are getting worse and the fat loss continues. What I am trying to say is this ....BE CAREFUL of these new lasers. They have not been out long enough to know the long term damage. If I would have waited 1 year of Thermage being out, I would be in a better place now. Now, I don't even know if I will have any collagen or facial fat in 5-10 yrs. That will put me at 41 yrs. old. Not a time I should be having to worry about plastic surgery. I never wanted a "contoured Face" I was happy with my face shape, not my scars. I want all of you to careful. Be careful not only of the Thermage but any new laser out there, including Photo facials and Fraxel. I think all these things change your skin underneath. We want to change the upper dermal layer of the skin and epidermis not the lower structures. So be careful and don't end up like me and PLEASE learn from my mistakes and always trust your better judgement. These Dr's are smooth talkers, they need to pay off their student loans and their expensive machines. Don't be sucked in to the hype. My best to all and may all of your decisions be good ones.

I am so sorry. My heart goes out to you. I do remember reading very poor reviews of this procedure in many reputable sources. This procedure had very negative side effects on several patients and, in fact, there were lawsuits against the doctors who peformed it. Have you considered suing for medical malpractice?

One pubmed journal I read was particularly disturbing. Various patients reported severe facial burns from Thermage.

I had a somewhat negative experience from dermabrasion, but it was due to my own problem not the doc's. I am very dry, itchy and scaley in the area I had dermbraded which was an indication that this procedure may not be for me. Luckily I only had a small scarred spot on my forehead dermabraded. My acne pitting has been horribly severe since I was only 19. Even before then I had bad pustular acne from 151/2 on. My life with perfect, unblemished, unscarred skin has been so short I can hardly remember it. My life has been ruined and now i'm trying my best and praying really hard that something works. Out of everyone's pictures I have seen on this board, I can say my scarring is so much worse than their's.

As a starting point, I recommend trying the 302 skincare line. Frm there, I would consider fillers or other non-invasive procedures. These are my recommendations. The threads detailing them are on the board if you haven't read them yet. Hang in there. It will get better.

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. I think that some doctors are really misusing Thermage. I've researched a bit about this procedure aftering hearing of the fat loss stories on this board. It seems that Thermage is really meant as an alternative to the surgical face lift. It's meant to tighten loose skin. So if a person's skin is not loose but tight, it would make sense that Thermage would cause the already tight skin to thin out and become hallow looking.

Here's some info I found that clearly states the proper uses of Thermage:

How does Thermage work?

Each pulse of the Thermage unit precisely heats the tissue underneath the surface of the skin, creating contraction and remodeling of collagen and tightening of excessively loose skin.

Where on the face or body can Thermage be used?

The Thermage unit can be used on the forehead to lift the eyebrows, in the mid- and lower face to improve cheek folds or "jowls", and to lift and tighten skin on the neck. The Thermage unit was developed for use on the face, but can be used anywhere where skin is loose or sagging. Currently, it is FDA-approved for use around the eyes and forehead, with approval for other areas pending

Doctors should not be using Thermage to treat acne scarring just as they would not use face lifts to treat scars.

SICKOFTHIS31 - Reading your story made me cry once again...I cry for both of us...you know who I am ..give me a call at any time maybe we can figure out a way to handle this entire situation...I see & feel your pain everyday, you are not alone....No one should be MISSLED into believing this is going to diminish scars...The doctors DO mislead...they want the $$$.... we trusted them.

Yet, when a problem arises ...we are told you are "seeing things", "its your imagination", "you have OCD" and so on....No doctor wants a lawsuit..so they manipulate...now they are your enemy ...my P/S even changed my records to his advantage so I couldnt have a lawsuit...and he reversed my before and after photos too...etc. ..just pisses me off!

toomuch - That is what I was told too...it was a non-surgical face-lift..

that is SOooo...FAR from the truth.

I experienced absolutely NO skin tightening effects with Thermage...

I experienced the exact opposite..

...a HUGE amount of fat loss, just like SICKOFTHIS31...

With the lost fat Acne scars appear MUCH deeper, the skin is LOOSER and SAGS and CHEEKS HOLLOW OUT due to the fat loss, wrinkles and jowls develop,...

NEW Severe scars slowly form over a period of months as dents, swirls and craters....as the fat is melting in different spots on the cheeks....

it is a horror story in the making over a period of months..

everyday it progresses..

It makes me cringe when I read some of the YOUNG kids on this board have had Thermage..or their docs are luring them in with promises and Hope....

All I can say is Research the plastic surgery boards on real people experiences...stay away from the companys false information and hype...

you will come to your own conclusion...and Im willing to bet...

You will never have THERMAGE....never.

BTW - toomuch..I did have a face lift last year..It improved my acne scars significantly....I finally felt good about myself...until THERMAGE screwed that up.....I am 39....Now, I look like I am in my 60's with SEVERE acne scars. sad.gif

((((((((((NO DOUBT))))))))))) Big Hug from me to you. We will figure out something together. We will talk, we cannot let these Dr's get away with this.

We should make a list of dangerous treatments and pin it on this forum to warn everyone about them. There are many poorly studied treatments that are being used to get money. Those machines are cheap compared to the big amounts of money that drs can make from them.

I think the Cool Touch laser caused fat loss in my face as well. I never had to worry about sagging skin since i was only 27 when I started the laser treatments. Now, at 29, my face looks like it is sagging, and loose. I hate it. Oh, do I regret it so bad. In fact, I think the laser has aged me sooooo much. At 26/27, I looked really really young (at least 20). Now, I feel that I look much older than my 29 years of age. If only I could go back in time.

I wish, I wish, I wish I never did the stupid laser. I would rather have acne scars with nice firm skin. I am going to have dermabrasion in April, and I hope this will help tighten my skin a little bit.

Thank you for warning us of this. All too often we trust our doctors implicitly because we assume they know all the complications and really care about us. But unfortunately I think they are more interested in the money a lot of the time. I was severely burned by an IPL laser because the technician who did it was not trained in using the laser on asian skin. I was lucky I recovered, but it royally scared the h*ll out of me. That's why I'm so leery of lasers now. I won't go near one again.

You are brave to step forward with your story. Maybe you need to get into a class action lawsuit because that will deter other doctors from trying to perform this procedure for non approved uses.

I found this on Google, this firm that is already representing 2 women in similar circumstances. You may want to look into this:

http://www.swartzlaw.com/CM/PracticeAreaDe...criptions36.asp

They usually don't charge a fee unless they win the case.

As one of the few people on this board who has had both Laser (twice CO2 and one other) and dermabrasion I would far far far far more recommend dermabrasion. I hate laser with an absolute passion (any idiot could do it --- you hit the buttons and off you go on this machine that costs at a minumum $100k to purchase) but think extremly highly of dermabrasion which has been around since the 1500's.

I am very sorry for the people who get talked into laser it really makes me shake my head in disgust at these doctors. Sick of this I feel sorry for your story.

My only saving grace is I did not do another one like the Dr. suggested 6 months after the first. I hate to even imagine what i would look like. I too, think I look older now with out the facial fat. I am sooooooooooooooo livid that I was sucked into this. I did it for acne and scars NOT because I wanted no fat in my face. I get sooooo mad everytime I think about it. Why didn't the DR. warn me of this? I just hope I die before all my facial fat disappears and I can go with some dignity. I am sure by the time I am 40 I will look 60.sad.gif

My only saving grace is I did not do another one like the Dr. suggested 6 months after the first.  I hate to even imagine what i would look like.  I too, think I look older now with out the facial fat.  I am sooooooooooooooo livid that I was sucked into this.  I did it for acne and scars NOT because I wanted no fat in my face.  I get sooooo mad everytime I think about it.  Why didn't the DR. warn me of this?  I just hope I die before all my facial fat disappears and I can go with some dignity.  I am sure by the time I am 40 I will look 60.sad.gif

wantperfectskin....yes, he did mention fat transfers where they take the fat from one part of your body and putit somewhere else, but I am also afraid to do this. I could end up with lumpiness and more scarring not to mention infection. And does that last forever? Does anyone know about this? I have never had to look up fat transfers so I don't know much about them.

((((No doubt)))) you are always free to elaborate on anything I have to say. We are in the same boat. We know this ocean way too well. I just hope we don't sink. Chat later. smile.gif

Italguy...I had 2 VLS lasers done I think it is the same as v-beam. It too left me very bruised. V-beam is not suppose to penetrate the sub- Q layer of fat, just go below the epidermis into the dermis. I believe it doesn't have the capabilities to go below that to change your facial structure. However, in saying that. I have always had a perfectly round face. I am not fat but I am Polish and it is in my genes. After, looking at my before and afetr pics from the Thermage and such, my one cheek did go in slighlty more after the vls and then really caved in after the Thermage. I think my docs were very aggressive, I think from now on I will take the conservative approach. the only think I will consider now are peels and maybe a fat transfer in my cheeks later on if it gets REALLY unbearable.

Wantperfectskin...I didn't think cooltouch could cause fat loss. Do you have before and after pics? Does your skin feel thinner and more fragile as well?

My face looks older and saggier after the Cool Touch treatments. I had 4. I do believe it was caused by this. I have a before photo, which is in the gallery (I think it is on page 5). I have after photos, but I think I look too horrible.

I do plan on getting dermabrasion which will help with the scars. But honestly, my main concern is how my face does not look as plump anymore. I just turned 29 and I do not think my skin should sag the way it does. I am hoping that dermabrasion will help tighten it a little bit.

Does anyone know of a natural way to plump up the face? Weight gain?

Weight gain is the only thing I can think of. I just went and picked up my pics from my derm and my before and after photos look like a different person. My skin ton and turger where so much better before Thermage. And Guess what? I can't see a single acne scar in my before pics but I can see them everywhere in after pics. God if I just left well enough alone. So many people told me not to do it but I didn't listen. What a big idiot I am. I could've maybe had decent skin right now instead of still fighting with these scars. Everyone here knows that it is better to have plumper skin when you have acne scars right? It makes them softer. When you lose the fat they stick out like a sore thumb.

Wantperfectskin...I didn't think cooltouch could cause fat loss.  Do you have before and after pics? Does your skin feel thinner and more fragile as well?

omg i feel ur pain i am sooo sorry ... *HUGS* i hope your fat comes back.. keep hope alive. i am so so sorry. i think u should go get a law suit and use it to pay for cheek implants or something. im dead seroius. they should pay for reconstrcutive surgery.. thank u so so so much for posting your story here. you will help a lot of people and you are a very giving person to care about others liek that. i dont know ya but i luv ya and pls keep your head up ! *HUGS*

Italguy...It took about a full week for the purple bruises to go away. They gradually will fade everyday. The first 3 days were the worse for me. I couldn't even cover them with makeup, they would show right through. I didn't put anything on them as they are bruises. The onlt thing I did, was use ice especially the first 24 hrs. Good Luck, they wll go away.