Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm 32. I developed acne when I was in my mid twenties. (Never had it as a teen).

I'm in my 2nd month of accutane (40mg every other day). I'm thinking of quitting because it hasn't helped a damn bit. I underwent the initial break out, but other than that, I have about the same amount of acne as before (along with the added benefits such as nose bleeds, dry skin, and cracked lips. )

This is my third time on accutane, so I know it's not a cure. But maybe my body has become immune to it or something because at least I had a clear face the last two times I was on it.

Has any of you adult sufferers experiemented with hormone therapy? (ie: the bc pill?) I read somewhere that you never grow out of "adult acne". I really don't want to live like this until menopause. (and with my luck it would probably get worse)

I'm 32. I developed acne when I was in my mid twenties. (Never had it as a teen).

I'm in my 2nd month of accutane (40mg every other day). I'm thinking of quitting because it hasn't helped a damn bit. I underwent the initial break out, but other than that, I have about the same amount of acne as before (along with the added benefits such as nose bleeds, dry skin, and cracked lips. )

This is my third time on accutane, so I know it's not a cure. But maybe my body has become immune to it or something because at least I had a clear face the last two times I was on it.

Has any of you adult sufferers experiemented with hormone therapy? (ie: the bc pill?) I read somewhere that you never grow out of "adult acne". I really don't want to live like this until menopause. (and with my luck it would probably get worse)

Like you, Blemished, I never suffered from teenage acne and really wish I had. It would have given my than-young skin a chance to heal from the scarring that I now have to face as a twenty-seven year old (almost twenty-eight - - eeek) woman. My acne didn’t really erupt to a state requiring Accutane until July 2004.

There are several women here who’ve had luck using Spironolactone, a hormone that helps control acne. Yasim is the birth control I’m currently taking and it contains 25 milligrams of Spiro. Additionally, Vitamin B6 is taken to not only boost energy and increase metabolism but to regulate hormones. I’m not sure if you believe in vitamins or supplements but I always figure that anything is worth trying once. If you’re not currently taking the pill, an appointment with the endocrinologist could be way more beneficial than an appointment with a dermatologist.

Also, you’re on a low dose of Accutane, right? Perhaps increasing the dose to a higher level might not hurt. I hate to think of how desperate you must be feeling right now but there are several members of Acne.Org who have been on Accutane more than once. Also, (as you know) with acne, everything is trial and error - - that’s why there are so many damned treatments out there. I believe you will find the cure to your situation and hopefully it will be more than a temporary cure this time around.

Good luck and please don’t loose hope!

P.S. And yes, wrinkles suck too!

I'm almost 29 and have had acne, in varying severity, since I was about 13.

It's much more mild now, than it used to be, which I attribute to the bcp I'm currently taking (Dianette/Diane35). I did change to a different bcp (Brevinor) a few months ago, but I really didn't get along with it very well, and I started breaking out more again. I've been back on Diane for just over a month now, with drastic improvement.

I don't think Diane improved my skin this much, the first time I took it (for 3 years).. but I'm now using other products, which seems to be helping alot (I was using these other products for the few months I was on Brevinor too, but still broke out quite alot).

My acne's very mild these days, but I know it would come back with a vengance, if I stopped with the Diane 35 sad.gif

I am a 31 year old female and have had varying degrees of acne since I was about 12. Right now I have my acne under control with 200 mg of Spironolactone. I never had severe acne, just mild to moderate (especially around my time of the month) which tapered off as I got older. When I got pregnant with my first child my skin cleared completely until I had her and then again with my son. From that I gathered that my acne had gotten to the point where it was just caused from hormones so I started on Spiro and my skin has never been better. I do occasionally get a pimple here or there, nothing major...a very small surface pimple that will clear within 24-48 hours leaving no marks. I am convinced that these are from food allergies (mainly dairy, nuts and seafood/iodine) so I try to stay away from those foods. I had tried every thing under the sun before spiro (with the exception of accutane) and nothing has ever kept my skin so clear for so long before.

Hope you find something that works for you. I know how very frustrating it is having acne of any degree when your in your 30's. When I was in highschool I always thought I would outgrow it, but never did.

Good luck to you!

I'm 25. I never had teenage acne. I started developing it at 20. I had it pretty pretty bad at my worst. I"m on tane right now. I did different BCPs. I did Diane 35 which helped lots but caused bad side effects: hair loss, my nails were looking awful, awful migraines. I did Alesse which caused my back to break out. I did Ortho Tricycline which caused a really bad cystic breakout on my face and caused a bad skin infection on the left side of my face.

AUGH.. look how many of us there are. Seems to be a lot of women too. I'm 26 and just got it a year and a half ago. I tried bc (ortho) and it seemed to make it worse. I've been taking 6 grams of B5 for almost a month now, and my skin is looking WAY better. I'm crossing my fingers that it is not a fluke, but usually I get 3-5 zits and just as they are going away, I get 3-5 more. Well, I got 3-5 around 10 days into B5, and I have had NONE since then. Next week will be the real test as it is the run up to my period. I'm also taking fish oil and drinking TONS of water, a necessity with the b5, but it can't hurt.

I eat very healthy too, but I was doing that when I got acne!

I am 25 and have had acne since I was in high school. I am on my 5th month of Spironolactone and have had good success with it. There are links in my signature to my log as well as the thread on here that we have going about Spiro. smile.gif

I just turned 30. Like many of you, during my teenage years I never knew what a pimple was. Then, around 23, I started breaking out mildly. I took Diane and went back to clear. I stayed clear until 1 year and a half ago. So I took Diane again, but it seemed this time it wasn't enough. So I've added spiro (1 month know). I have to wait and see, but at least my skin is no worse than it was before. wink.gif

WOW! What great feedback. And this Sprio, Diane..and Yasmin is all new to me. I'm very hopeful. It seems to have some success for most of you.

I was on Ortho tricyclin for YEARS (since I was 16) because of menstral cramps. I started having irregular periods, so I went off a few years ago. My monthly went back to normal and the cramps were not near as bad when I was 16. By the way..I never noticed a difference with my acne being on Ortho Tricylclin.

One reason I decided to go off the pill was because I heard it can cause clotting and brown spots if used for a prolonged period of time. I think I may have some brown spots on my legs. My cousin (in her 30's)had some heart papiltations. Her doctor told her that women after 35 should be very careful using the pill. She stopped it.

One other benefit of quitting the pill for me was my libido completely shot through the roof! (estrogen surpresses testostorone which is responsible for sex drive). I never had a problem before but DAMN...I'd hate to loose my newly found active sex drive. (Maybe I'm just reaching my prime??)

Well, I'm sure hormone treatment can't be worse than the aweful drugs I'm feeding my body now. Let's face it. Accutane is a controled type of poisoning! I may reconsider a new kind of BC pill. I'm inspired to check with an endocrinologist. (I have to find out what it is first) eusa_shifty.gif

Thanks so much girlfriends for coming forth and sharing!

Wow. I guess I'm the only male that suffers from adult acne. I'm 30 yrs old and have had acne since I was 14. 16 long years of bad skin. I just recently finished a course of Accutane and it helped a little but I still break out. I can't go the hormonal remedy route (i.e. BC or Spiro) since I'm a male so I realy don't know what other alternatives I have. I'm thinking about going one more course of Accutane if my Derm will let me. But like blemishedgirl said I don't think it will ever go away at this age. sad.gif

I'm a 28 year old male and have had acne since I was 14. Was taking minocycline for two months until I started getting new moles, I guess they're moles, they look like moles. My acne is now worse after coming off of minocycline then before I took it. Derm gave me a script for tetracycline but I'm hesitant on taking it. Now I'm left to see which method to go with now. I really don't want to take pills again.

I am 25 and didn't have severe acne until i was around 20! urggh yeah i hate having adult acne cuz i thought that i would outgrow it by now. I also took Diane 35 but I also hated the side effects of it....especially the moodiness!!! So now I don't wanna take other pills anymore ( I also took minocyclin and tetracycline..i think that's how it is spelled) so I juss want topical medication.

I'm 34 and have had acne since I was 16. I used BP for years and it worked until I turned 30, and then it stopped working for some reason. I did "The Regimen" before there was "The Regimen." razz.gif

Now I am on 'tane and I hope it works.

I have been lurking on this board for a very long time, but I have never actually posted anything. I finally decided to post because I truly have tried every treatment out there and would like to be of help to other people. I certainly don't claim to be an expert, but if anyone has any questions about any of the treatments I have tried I would be happy to share my experiences. I know that I have benefitted greatly from reading other people's posts.

In answer to your question about adult acne... I am 29(female) and have had acne since I was 11 years old. I have been on every antibiotic and topical out there, as well as four courses of accutane with booster rounds each time. In addition, I have had ten Smoothbeam treatments on my face and approximately 14 or so on my back (I have lost count at this pt). I have also had IPL photo-facial and V-beam laser treatments. Oh, and I have done the Blue-U light treatment and have a home phototherapy blue light/red light that I use regularly. And of course I have done the Pantothenic Acid thing, all the diet and vitamin stuff, and have been suckered by many a well-meaning esthetician promising they could "cure" me with various peels, oxygen treatments, microdermabrasions and even aromatherapy.

It goes without saying that I have used every over the counter product that exists. If one more well-meaning person that has no clue what I've been through casually says "Have you tried Pro-Activ?" I will scream.

For all the women taking the Birth control pill, I would like to mention a little about my experience with that. I was on Ortho-Tri Cyclen for three years, which helped my acne quite a bit. Unfortunately, I suffered a stroke 3 years ago when I was 26 that was due to the pill. I had no risk factors (not overweight, never smoked, etc..) I was partially blind for about 3 months, but have thankfully recovered. There are many other women who have not been so lucky. Although when I started taking the pill I read the package insert and was aware of possible side effects like stroke, I never in my wildest dreams thought about any of them happening, certainly not to me. Virtually every woman I know is on the pill. Now, though, I have met many other young women who have suffered strokes from the pill, some of them paralyzed for life. These tragedies appear to be seriously under reported and are not talked about in the media.

I am not trying to alarm people. Obviously, millions of women have benefitted tremendously from the pill. I just want people to be aware that it is a serious drug with serious side effects. So many people are on it, I think we lose sight of that. I certainly had no idea.

The end result of all of this is that I still have acne. I have recently started to accept that I probably always will. I realize this is not very encouraging, but my situation is more extreme than most. My father is 52 and still has it. My grandmother quit school because of it. If I can help anyone in any way let me know. Maybe that way all my efforts at treatment will not have been wasted.

Thank you for sharing your story. smile.gif I'm sorry to hear about the stroke, but glad you recovered! I have never tried the Pill for that very reason. I consider it my "last resort" rather than accutane. I know people think accutane is so much more dangerous than the pill, but I have always been wary of it for myself. I really hope I don't have to resort to taking it.

I can completely empathize with your frustration in finding a way to get rid of acne. evil.gif

JullietR, thanks so much for your story. I cannot believe that you actually went through that and I am glad that you are okay. I never really wanted to go on the pill juss for acne reasons but my doctor insisted that I do, and he even gave me a lecture about it. I have used it for a year and a half but then for some reason my gut feeling told me to stop so I did. I will definitely never take pills again to treat my acne, not even accutane. Although it is very hard for me, everyday I juss try to tell myself that my life is more important than acne itself....I still have to take care of my whole being instead of focussing on acne.

I am 33 and have suffered with acne since high school. I started with OTC stuff which never helped, so in HS I started using retin-A and e-mycin gel. I don't really think either of them helped that much. Then the acne started getting more cystic towards the end of college, at that point I went on accutane, that was 10 years ago. Face looked great after accutane for about 4 years until I went off birth control pills. Broke out horribly again, but was trying to get pregnant so I couldn't do anything about it. After getting pregnant my face cleared up and looked normal again, that was in 1999. Had a second baby 2 years ago. This past June I started breaking out again, and by the fall it was terrible, all around the sides of my chin area, with a few errant ones on other parts of my face.

Started using tazorac, the .1% gel, prescribed by my primary. That stuff tore up my face, so I went to the derm, who offered me accutane right away. I said I was willing to try topicals for a time, so she prescribed taz in the .05% cream and an antibiotic (duricef). I've only been using them for about a week now. I keep thinking I should have just taken the accutane, because I am really down about how bad my face looks. I feel like, I've been working out, getting my body in shape, but nobody will ever notice that because they'll be too busy looking at how gross my face is.

Derm said to try the taz for 2 months and if no success, we'll move onto accutane. I didn't have too many bad side effects from it before, but I'm a little worried I won't be as lucky this time. My acne isn't really cystic this time either, it's just weird... every single zit that comes up leaves a red mark, to the point that on the sides of my chin you can't tell if there are even any zits there or not because it is SO red. I just look ridiculous. People are always mistaking me for my kids' nanny, I think because they see my face and figure I must be a teenager LOL.

bumbbum21,

It's so funny that you mentioned that your instincts told you to stop taking the pill. I took it for three years in college with no problem, but when I went on it again after the birth of my daughter I always had a vaguely uneasy feeling about it. I told myself I was crazy and kept taking it anyway and of course, then I had a stroke. I usually don't give much credence to the "sixth sense" sort of stuff, but in retrospect I wish I had listened to my gut and stopped taking it. I think you were smart for listening to yours. Your body was probably trying to tell you something.

In answer to your question about my skin now--I still have a lot of problems, not only on my face but also my chest and back. It is very, very embarassing. My daughter is 6 and is scared of the water, mostly because she is never around it. I

cannot bear to take her to the pool in the summertime because of my acne. I know I should be a bigger person than that, but putting on a bathing suit when you have cysts all over your back and chest is an excruciatingly painful experience. Only someone who has or has had acne can really understand. I would give anything to go back on Accutane (the only thing that ever cleared me) and be free of this, if only for a little bit. Unfortunately, no derm will even think of doing that since I had the stroke.

As for my regimen, I have had moderate succes using the Happy Skin red/blue light by Verilux in conjunction with Dan's regimen. I sit in front of the light for an hour each night and then apply the bp. This routine is not feasible for my chest and back, though, because I do not want to devote an extra 2 hours a night to sitting in front of the light and the BP bleaches everything. I plan on getting another smoothbeam treatment on my back when it gets closer to summer. It did help my back, although it caused my face to worsen.

I certainly sympathize with you. Like you, I just try to remind myself that there is much more to life than acne. Some days it works, but other days are very hard. This board has helped me a lot. Although I wish no one had a reason to visit here, it is nice to know I am not alone.

Hi All,

I am a 26 year old male and have had acne for some time. It was suppreseed for a bit throuch college but I have always had the occasional zit. The last 2 years or so.. I have been getting more and more. I am not sure if its my diet, env, stress of the fact I tned to my face more now.. but i have a few active zits and more red marks than the twister board. Its tought being older and having acne when you look around at your peers and they have "outgrown" it.. they complain about having a zit or two after going out in a smoky bar or staying up late partying on the weekends.. but i can do nothing all weekend and still breakout come monday morning. I look at this point in my life as the prime time in my career and love life. But the effects of having acne has led me to shy away from socal gatherings/outings and also being so self concious when it comes to meetings at work. Its hard for me to be confident when i am having discussions with VP, sales people etc etc.. cause I know they are looking at me and thinking .. how can i take him seriously when he doesn't even care for his own body. I know we all know it has nothing to do with hygiene.. but people without acne tend to look at it in a different light.. oh wash your face, take a shower.. its so embarassing. There are times i would rather stay home and work from home with a lame excuse instead of going into work and having to stare down everytime i leave my office to use the restroom.. I hate acne!!!!

thats my vent.. i wish all of you the best of luck with dealing with this horrible condition

bumbbum21,

It's so funny that you mentioned that your instincts told you to stop taking the pill. I took it for three years in college with no problem, but when I went on it again after the birth of my daughter I always had a vaguely uneasy feeling about it. I told myself I was crazy and kept taking it anyway and of course, then I had a stroke. I usually don't give much credence to the "sixth sense" sort of stuff, but in retrospect I wish I had listened to my gut and stopped taking it. I think you were smart for listening to yours. Your body was probably trying to tell you something.

In answer to your question about my skin now--I still have a lot of problems, not only on my face but also my chest and back. It is very, very embarassing. My daughter is 6 and is scared of the water, mostly because she is never around it. I

cannot bear to take her to the pool in the summertime because of my acne. I know I should be a bigger person than that, but putting on a bathing suit when you have cysts all over your back and chest is an excruciatingly painful experience. Only someone who has or has had acne can really understand. I would give anything to go back on Accutane (the only thing that ever cleared me) and be free of this, if only for a little bit. Unfortunately, no derm will even think of doing that since I had the stroke.

As for my regimen, I have had moderate succes using the Happy Skin red/blue light by Verilux in conjunction with Dan's regimen. I sit in front of the light for an hour each night and then apply the bp. This routine is not feasible for my chest and back, though, because I do not want to devote an extra 2 hours a night to sitting in front of the light and the BP bleaches everything. I plan on getting another smoothbeam treatment on my back when it gets closer to summer. It did help my back, although it caused my face to worsen.

I certainly sympathize with you. Like you, I just try to remind myself that there is much more to life than acne. Some days it works, but other days are very hard. This board has helped me a lot. Although I wish no one had a reason to visit here, it is nice to know I am not alone.

Ooops. Sorry guys, I guess I accidentally posted my previous message twice.

twocanyan,

Trust me when I say I know how you feel about not being taken seriously at work because of your acne. Somehow, though, you have to not let the acne hold you back. The truth is, most people are too focused on themselves and their own lives to pay any significant attention to your skin. The most successful, dynamic woman I know has truly horrible cystic acne all over her face. But when you talk to her, you don't even really notice it because she is so upbeat and engaging.

I'm not trying to sound preachy or like I have it all figured out. I struggle with this issue constantly. But when I read a post from a young guy like you I am struck by the waste acne can cause. Please don't let your acne keep you from doing the things you want to do. As my mother always says, we're not mannequins. We're human beings and all of us have flaws. So go out and enjoy life and work hard to accomplish whatever goals you have set for yourself. Because when you're dead, you're dead for a long, long time.

Julliette,

Thanks so much for sharing your stroke story on BC pills. Geez! I was getting excited about those bc pills that work for some people, but now I''m reconsidering. I mentioned my cousin started having heart palpitations and her docter said the older you get, the higher risk of blood clots and strokes. (Not to mention the brown blotchy spots that can show up on your skin)

I agree that hormones should be taken as serious as drugs. Screwing with hormones is no joke.

Also Julliette,

I can relate to wanting to scream if someone says; "Have you tried pro-active?". HA! I too have tried EVERYTHING. I've spent lots of $$$ in plastics surgeons offices. I've paid for peels, lasers, all kinds of topical goop. I've done "natural and herbal". I've done "industrial and scientifically proven".

Also TwoCanyon,

You are right. People tend to view your skin as a sign of hygene and health. (If not consciously, then subconsciously)

So, what do you say about someone like me who: is a vegetarian, drinks lots of bottled water daily, works out in the gym and goes rollarblading in the fresh air, (at least 3-4 times a week of exercise), rarely gets sick, and is too vain to even CONSIDER poor hygene even for a day?!

Not to mention I don't particularly have a "stressfull" lifestyle (for those who say acne is cause by stress. I can name several people I know that are more stressed out than I, and THEY HAVE CLEAR SKIN!) I'm in fairly good emotional health.

I UNDERSTAND YOUR PAIN AND FEEL YOU, BROTHER!

So what the hell do clear skinned people know about acne??? Like Juliette said; I will scream the next time someone mentions pro-active. (Been there done that!)

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I think more people should know that those side effects on synthetic hormone packages can really happen. I'm so sorry to hear that you have gone through difficult times. How has your stroke affected your daily life?

I hope that your skin gets to how you want it to be. Have you ever heard of ALA photodyamic therapy? I've seen it work wonders, better than accutane. You might want to look into it. I found a place in Toronto, Canada that does it. But i'm sure there are others around where you live, I found one around where I live too. I'm on accutane right now but if it were to come back, I wouldn't take accutane I'd do the ALA.

If you want to see some before and after pics I found them on this site

www.drkara.com

Bless your heart! And keep smiling smile.gif

bumbbum21,

It's so funny that you mentioned that your instincts told you to stop taking the pill.  I took it for three years in college with no problem, but when I went on it again after the birth of my daughter I always had a vaguely uneasy feeling about it.  I told myself I was crazy and kept taking it anyway and of course, then I had a stroke.  I usually don't give much credence to the "sixth sense" sort of stuff, but in retrospect I wish I had listened to my gut and stopped taking it.  I think you were smart for listening to yours.  Your body was probably trying to tell you something. 

In answer to your question about my skin now--I still have a lot of problems, not only on my face but also my chest and back.  It is very, very embarassing.  My daughter is 6 and is scared of the water, mostly because she is never around it.  I

cannot bear to take her to the pool in the summertime because of my acne.  I know I should be a bigger person than that, but putting on a bathing suit when you have cysts all over your back and chest is an excruciatingly painful experience.  Only someone who has or has had acne can really understand.  I would give anything to go back on Accutane (the only thing that ever cleared me) and be free of this, if only for a little bit.  Unfortunately, no derm will even think of doing that since I had the stroke. 

As for my regimen, I have had moderate succes using the Happy Skin red/blue light by Verilux in conjunction with  Dan's regimen.  I sit in front of the light for an hour each night and then apply the bp.  This routine is not feasible for my chest and back, though, because I do not want to devote an extra 2 hours a night to sitting in front of the light and the BP bleaches everything.  I plan on getting another smoothbeam treatment on my back when it gets closer to summer.  It did help my back, although it caused my face to worsen.

I certainly sympathize with you.  Like you, I just try to remind myself that there is much more to life than acne.  Some days it works, but other days are very hard.  This board has helped me a lot.  Although I wish no one had a reason to visit here, it is nice to know I am not alone.