Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm 24. I've had moderate to severe acne for the past 6 years. Kept going to the derm, tried retin-a, bp, monocicline, doxycycline, benzaclin, neutrogena, exfolliators, deep cleansing soap, AND I STILL HAD ACNE. A week ago, thanks to post suggestions, i found a cheap combo that has cleared me up in A WEEK with no new acne to report. IT'S SIMPLE:

1) B5 pills - 10 grams a day

2) Alpha hydrox enhancing lotion

3) DDF Glycolic Toner 10% <--- recently added, great for oil, use in mornings

And washing my face with cold water. THAT'S IT. No new acne. Red marks and bumps I've had for months fading. Skin looking smooth and healthy. My only question: why did my derm never even mention these products? Instead she put me on expensive prescription drug after drug, with the same humiliating acne.

To anyone who has tried everything else, I strongly recommend you to TRY THESE THREE THINGS. And spread the word on the message boards.

To all that have given up there is hope. I don't know how long I have to keep doing this to keep these results, but I DON'T CARE. The lotion, $11 a bottle. The pills, bought in 100 capsule bottles, about $1.50 a day. Worth it? Completely. I can't stress to all of you enough - go try this regimen!!!

I will post updates if the results change, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

White oblong gelcaps. I bought them from GNC under the name "Pantothenic Acid", but it's the same thing.

I shoud also mention to everyone I also take 1 500 mg B-complex pill a day. Not for acne, but to keep yourself healthy from all the B5. Also, if you live somewhere sunny, try using sunblock. I haven 't experienced it yet, but some posts say your skin can burn more easily when using alpha hydrox.

Why don't you use a more effective Coenzyme-A precussor than just Pantothenic Acid? You could probably cut down on your tabs to 1 or 2 a day then.

I think he is talking out of his ass. Congrats, glad b5 worked for you, it is working for me in lower dosages.

And theirs no doubt that derms know about diet and b5, but if everyone else did then their wouldn't be a need for derms.. Sadly this might be a reason that some diseases arn't cured because they pull a lot of money out of them from treatments

I was also getting very good results from B-5. I took about 8-9 grams (powder form) for 2 weeks. My face is usually very oily but decreased a lot, and I also noticed it helped clear up my back. I was also taking extra biotin and b-complex that everyone recommends to take.

But, at the end of week 2, I began to notice that my hair started to thin. Everytime I took a shower I would shed some hair. It also felt very dry. Other problems I noticed were that I had trouble sleeping at night and my face always felt flushed. Has this ever happened to anyone else taking B-5? I hate to discourage anyone from using it because it seems to work, who knows, everyone's different and you may not get the same side effects I got. Taking 9 grams was probably just too much for me. Maybe I should try 2-3 grams and see how that works. Has anyone had good results on low doses? I just hate to quit using it because it really helped with the oil, just don't want to risk losing anymore hair.

B5 is a precurssor to Coenzyme A. That's why it works, because it supposedly converts to this int he body. There rer products out there that combine the more active form of B5, with other things to more effeciently convert to this, thus, less pills. If I'm understanding this correctly, it's not the B5 that clears you, but when it is formed into Coenzyme A. The theory goes that the body doesn't have enough of the enzyme to both produce and regulate sex hormones and metabolize lipids, therefore you get acne. What B5 does is convert to this enzyme so you have more of it. I'm just saying using straight B5 is not the most effecient way to go about it.

Here's a link to one brand. I've seen other sites where it's been around 40.00. I've seen it even cheaper on E-bay. That works out to less than $1.00 a day.

http://www.harvesthealth.com/purcoen90cap.html

Here's a recap of the article:

http://www.coenzyme-a.com/acne_vulgaris.html

As for lipid metabolization, I think there are more cost effective ways to go about it.

The original poster speaks the truth. Funny, I use the same brand of B5 too from GNC, and I also get the B-complex from there. I decided to try it because they had a sale for vitamins. At the regular price it's wayyy too pricey for me. I think I'm going to switch to another brand when the sale is over. But everything he said is SPOT on. I noticed resutsl just 3 days after. I'm not even kidding you, some will call bullshit on me but I don't care. My oil reduced in just 3 days but I still had my acne, BUT I was seeing RESULTS. I got before photos. I'll be taking this for 2-3 months and I'll take after pics for you all.

Also another thing that I think that it works so fast for me is because I don't eat a very bad diet. I cut out all fast foods, candy (or atleast try, IT'S SO HARD), and processed/bleached bread. I actually try to cut out bread as much as possible because of gluton. My breakfast is consisted of ALL fruits, lunch is fruits too with some salad and the occasional meat side and for dinner, it's brown rice, veggies and some meat. I don't drink any soda at all. It's all water or tea for me. I drink about 4-5 bottles of those crystal geyser 9fl oz bottles a day. I don't even know why I ever drank soda. That stuff is NASTY. I used to drink it religiously but I quit half a year ago and when I do try to drink it now, it makes me want to vomit. It's wierd, I used to love that stuff. Also I cut out smoke all together. I was a smoker for 4 years and I just stopped cold turkey. It's NOT hard people, seriously...mind over matter. When you feel like you want one, YOU REALLY DON'T. You just THINK you do because it has became a habit but it's NOT a physical addiction. I have to admit, everytime I go out to a bar I get the urge to because all my friends are, but when I think about how bad it is for my skin and how many zits I will get from smoking, I turn down any cigarettes offered. A week full of zits and depression isn't worth a few smokes.

I was also getting very good results from B-5.  I took about 8-9 grams (powder form) for 2 weeks.  My face is usually very oily but decreased a lot, and I also noticed it helped clear up my back.  I was also taking extra biotin and b-complex that everyone recommends to take. 

But, at the end of week 2, I began to notice that my hair started to thin.  Everytime I took a shower I would shed some hair.  It also felt very dry.  Other problems I noticed were that I had trouble sleeping at night and my face always felt flushed.  Has this ever happened to anyone else taking B-5?  I hate to discourage anyone from using it because it seems to work, who knows, everyone's different and you may not get the same side effects I got.  Taking 9 grams was probably just too much for me.  Maybe I should try 2-3 grams and see how that works.  Has anyone had good results on low doses?  I just hate to quit using it because it really helped with the oil, just don't want to risk losing anymore hair.

Hmmm..

How come you are the only one that knowed about about this Coenzyme A "stand alone". All those people talking about b5 and no one knowed about this???

Has some tried something like that? I gess no, right?

b5 worked for me great..but to exprensive in croatia (2-3x more than is USA)

Hmmm..

How come you are the only one that knowed about about this Coenzyme A "stand alone". All those people talking about b5 and no one knowed about this???

Has some tried something like that? I gess no, right?

b5 worked for me great..but to exprensive in croatia (2-3x more than is USA)

Yeah, I don't know about this Coenzyme A stuff. I'm normally skeptical about these bullsh*t websites that boast some variation of a vitamin or acne solution based on some study they find. That's what steered me away from B5 at first. But I took a chance and used it, and it worked. I think people will try to talk you into other things because companies can patent them and be the only provider. B5, on the other hand, is generic, and a million companies are selling it, so price isn't too outrageous.

My advice - stick with the B5. It seems to work for a lot of people on this message board, and so far it works awesome for me. Websites boasting these other "miracle vitamins" are just praying off our desperation for clear skin. F them. Go get B5 wherever it's on sale for the cheapiest, and stick to it. And for the posters that say 5g's a day's working, I'd stick with that, and not increase dosage unless the results start to fade.

Good luck for everyone giving this regimen a try, let me know how it works out.

Hey kids,

I'm a month into B5 and I'm only taking 6grams, and I'm having great success. I hope it lasts. I got 5 zits about 10 days in and I've had NO new acne since then. All I can say is, take the biotin and the B-complex (those of you whose hair was falling out, were you taking the biotin??) and DRINK LOTS OF WATER...

Good luck everybody.

Carrie

To the all people in this thread that said you were/are losing hair:

Were/are you taking the b-complex and biotin and if you so how much are you taking?

Hehe I've actually been doing the exact same thing. I've been one B5 two previous preiods and it cleared my acne, but I stopped thinking I was finished with it forever. So I started it again when my acne turned bad this fall and also started using the AHA enchanced lotion. And I must say it's been doing wonders. Only done about a month with the B5, and already my skin is greating clearer and clearer for each day, and red marks are healing really fast.

Hey guys, From a RN who took Accutane 2x and hear of many patient complaints of irreversible drug side effects-quit the B5. I read a few studies about 6 months ago that did show harmful effects. I recently had sinus surgery because the Accutane did dry out my sinuses but not the acne. I can never reverse how dry I am. B5 is a DRUG. It's not worth it. I posted earlier today on ramping up the bp. Try it, you'll be amazed how if you weren't caking it on 2x/day, it won't work.

That company wasn't the first to market Coenzyme A. That isn't even Coenzyme A, it's a mix of things(a form of B5 is in it), that converts to Coenzyme A more effeciently, thus less pills and less money spent. Again, it's not hte B5 that clears you, it's the Coenzyme conversion(According to B5 theory). Read the link I posted, as it was written by the guy that made up this B5 theory.

STAYING STRONG

What do you wash your face with, what kind of acne did you have, were you oily?, and what previous things have you tried?

Thanks!

Hey guys, From a RN who took Accutane 2x and hear of many patient complaints of irreversible drug side effects-quit the B5.  I read a few studies about 6 months ago that did show harmful effects.  I recently had sinus surgery because the Accutane did dry out my sinuses but not the acne.  I can never reverse how dry I am. B5 is a DRUG.  It's not worth it. I posted earlier today on ramping up the bp. Try it, you'll be amazed how if you weren't caking it on 2x/day, it won't work.

Jalrus-

I wash my face with cold water 3-4 times a day. It's important to wash your hands with soap before doing this, so they're clean when touching your face. As far as what soaps I've tried, just about everything. Neutrogena (the orange bar), Deep Clean soap, Oil-free acne wash, Nivea "oil-reducing" face wash, Nivea exfoliator, St. Ives exfoliator, hand soap, and the list goes on and on...

One thing these products all had in common, they did NOTHING to reduce or eliminate my facial acne. Friends of mine with moderate acne say the same thing. I've seen better results in 3 days with my B5 regimen then I did with a month of Nivea's Oi-Free acne wash, a product whose name is a lie.

I've come to the conclusion that the over-the-counter face wash/cream industry are frauds. They use commercials with model spokespeople that already have beautiful skin to prey on our insecurities about our acne and take our hard-earned money. Proof that none of them work? Look around at the mall, or wherever. Lots of people still have acne. I'm sure they're not happy about it, and have tried all those products, but they still have it.

The only thing those products have accomplished with me is a dry, red, irritated face. Screw 'em. They charge way too much money, and I hope all burn in hell for exploiting a medical problem that so many people are ashamed of. evil.gif That's why PROPS TO DAN for having this site, where acne sufferers can discuss real solutions outside the lies being told to us on TV.

Alright, my rant's over. I feel better. It just made my so angry when I'd go in to work with like 10-15 zits and have some smart-ass co-worker say something like "man, you need to get some oxy pads or something". I wanted to just knock them out. It's those damn commercials that make people with clear skin look at us like we're lazy, that the only reason we have acne and they don't is because we're lazy, and don't take care of our skin, and that just buying a pack of oxy pads would solve our problem. I wish it was that easy.

And I'll have to agree with Last Straw about BP. They keep repackaging it under different names, Proactiv, now something called Benzaclin, I'm sure many other as well, but it doesn't work. That's why derms get so much business. You go in, they usually give some form of BP to you without even really investigating your acne, you go home, it doesn't work, and you're right back at the derm paying for another appointment.

BP may work on people with very minor acne, but that's it. If it worked, all the people in the waiting room at the derm that I'm sure have been on it wouldn't be sitting, still covered with acne, to talk about other medications.

Stick to the B5, the AHA, and dump ALL the other bs "miracle" prescription and CVS products. Trust me, THEY DON'T WORK. eusa_naughty.gif

Good news about B5 - at GNC for all of February it's a buy 1, get 1 half off sale. That breaks down to 200 pills for $15 bucks! I'm sure its even cheaper on the web, but for those who want to buy it from a store, thought I'd let you know.

And if I'm not mistaken, can't you become a member of some suppliment club at GNC? Everyone might want to check that out -- it could be worth it.