Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tiredofwaiting

Past the Worste - Accutane Users

I've just completed my first week on accutane and over the weekend my lips started cracking and peeling .. my face is also dry and peeling... especially my nose ... It all seemed to happen so suddenly. I don't know I thought it would be a few weeks until this happened.

I have a few questions:

1. Is it ok to exfoliate the peeling chapped skin with gentle scrubs or exfoliating sponges?

2. How do you know when you are past the worste with your symptons? Is there a time where you stop peeling, or will this persist the entire time that I use the medication?

1. Hey. Elsa’s right that you should not exfoliate but I have to confess that I have exfoliated while on Accutane however, I didn’t do it until well into my treatment. The first few weeks were the worst for me because my skin still had active acne but was peeling like crazy. Washing with Cetaphil and water alone would cause the cysts to open up and bleed. It eventually got better once my acne calmed down. Now, I don’t exfoliate at all. I use Cetaphil Moisturizer and Cleanser. When I am in the shower, I try to use my hands to slough away any dead skin then I moisturize and this helps the peeling a lot. Still, the peeling was never as bad as it was during the first few weeks.

2. It really depends on what you consider to be the “worst of your symptoms� when you ask that question. As stated above, after the first few weeks, my skin stopped drastically peeling. Being over four months in now, my eyes are dry and my lips are completely chapped. I also can’t fall asleep very easily.

Everyone’s experience varies. This is just what happened with me personally. I hope that the peeling goes away for you in a few weeks. In the meantime, try to find a moisturizer that will help you out a little bit. It’s all trial and error. Good luck!