Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arpazia

Accutane, Scar Tissue, Brain Swelling

It was a quick ride in and out of the city and an even quicker dermatologist appointment. He said that I absolutely have to start taking forty milligrams of Accutane - - even though I’m scared out of my mind to attempt such a feat considering what happened last time. He described it as “tweaking� and I guess he considers what he is doing is fine-tuning my skin. I might even brave sixty milligrams in two months. My dermatologist understands the mg/kg ratio so that makes me feel better. At least I know, he won’t be o.d.ing my body with Accutane.

He gave me a few injections of cortisone that I didn’t even think I needed since there are no cysts. The bad news is I found out something I thought wasn’t, is a scar. He said that by doing the injections, the cortisone and the needle will help break up some scar tissue. A few days later, it is less red and less noticeable. I pray that it continues this way because I think it is a keliod scar and I have no idea what type of surgery will rid my skin of that.

The other interesting thing that I learned was about brain swelling. I’ve had a tension headache for several nights and brought it up to him. He said that it wasn’t brain swelling because, if it was, the pain would keep increasing and the mounting pressure would surely drive me to the nearest emergency room. I know a lot of us are concerned every time we get a headache, so I hope this helps some people to know the difference.

Other than that, my skin is looking really good. I’m upset over the red spots but know that I have to be patient and just wait. There is one new pimple, right next to my eyebrow and it’s sore. Still, knowing what I looked like in September, I have no room to bitch over one lone pimple.

I hope you guys are all doing well and that you’re progressing as good as I am. For those that aren’t right now, just hang in there.

Hey Arpazia,

I'm glad to hear that your skin is looking good. I understand your fear about increasing your dose, I'm actually going up to 40mg from 20mg today and I'm a little scared. But I think that we'll be okay because we're way past our initial breakout stage or at least I'm hoping eusa_pray.gif . I actually don't have any active pimples right now and I'm starting to do scar treatment research already. I can't deal with red marks. I know I'm jumping the gun with 3 more months left in my treatment and I have to wait at least 6 months afterwards but I just want to know my options. I'm going to ask my derm when I see her next week what the best proceedure would be. Have you inquired about scar treatments as well and if so what did your derm say?

Like most people on Accutane, my dermatologist won’t discuss scar treatments with me yet. Still, he has been very honest when I asked him what would remain. He told me that he isn’t too concerned about my forehead or my left cheek. His major concern is my right cheek - - as is mine. Still, since I have several months to go, he said to see what happens. He does have a point. He is one of the best laser surgeons on the east coast so I have faith that when the time comes, he will be my number one advocate in finding what will work best.

I forgot to add in my above post that my triglycerides are down one-hundred points. If you asked me how this happened, I wouldn’t be able to tell you.

Interesting you mention headaches. I take 40mg every OTHER NIGHT. I've noticed a pattern. Without fail, the mornings after I take my accutane (generic: claravis) I wake up with a nasty headache. This never happens the morning after I do NOT take the drug.

I usually take some bc powder and it goes away. But it makes you wonder...."bRAIN SWELLING?!!)

Food for thought.

He gave me a few injections of cortisone that I didn’t even think I needed since there are no cysts.  The bad news is I found out something I thought wasn’t, is a scar.  He said that by doing the injections, the cortisone and the needle will help break up some scar tissue.  A few days later, it is less red and less noticeable.  I pray that it continues this way because I think it is a keliod scar and I have no idea what type of surgery will rid my skin of that.

Blemished, I guess the headaches are just that, headaches. I'm also on a generic form of Accutane due to the cost but am unsure if brand name would make a difference. I take Accutane during the day and get a headache right before bed. It seems as if we might be having the same reaction around the same time after ingesting the drug...

Unlucky, it was a raised scar that I just assumed was a small, stubborn cyst that had gotten hard. He left the indented scars above this one alone. I hate the way they make my face look in combination with one another. It's like a big hole. Raised scar on the bottom and indented ones on the top. I pray that the needle and cortisone help to dissolve some of the scar tissue on the raised one so it won't stand out as much. In the scar forum, I've heard some people mention using something like a tatoo-thing in order to get rid of some scars. I'm thinking the cortisone shots are along the same line.

Unlucky, it was a raised scar that I just assumed was a small, stubborn cyst that had gotten hard.  He left the indented scars above this one alone.  I hate the way they make my face look in combination with one another.  It's like a big hole.  Raised scar on the bottom and indented ones on the top.  I pray that the needle and cortisone help to dissolve some of the scar tissue on the raised one so it won't stand out as much.  In the scar forum, I've heard some people mention using something like a tatoo-thing in order to get rid of some scars.  I'm thinking the cortisone shots are along the same line.

Ok, that makes sense. I was afraid he did it on those below the indents you know the stuff that is pulling down the skin and actually causing the indents, cas that as you know is  big NO NO while on accutane smile.gif

Hey Arp.

Fingers crossed the 20mg/40mg transfer is smooth. I think it will be, the worst is over, im sure of it!!

As for redmarks, they upset me too. But, in September i would have died for just red marks but now its come to it, im still not satisfied!! Give it 3/4 months and they'll be looking sweet!! I know it!!

OH.. what a journey accutane has been, what a journey!!

Thankyou for your support Arpazia, it means a lot!

x

Arp, we're here for you. My derm didn't want to talk scar treatments. She said that no dr. would talk to me until 1 year had passed since my last accutane pill and unless I was completely clear. Umm..hmm.

Anyway, good luck my friend. Keep us updated. smile.gif

Arp, we're here for you. My derm didn't want to talk scar treatments. She said that no dr. would talk to me until 1 year had passed since my last accutane pill and unless I was completely clear. Umm..hmm.

Anyway, good luck my friend. Keep us updated. smile.gif

Hey guys - I'm still not believing that my daughter's derm said she could start dermabrasion any time now and she's only a month off of accutane.  He has patients that do dermabrasion throughout their whole  treatment.  I'm still scratching my head over that one.  I don't think we'll do that just yet.

I do not beleive it either. I think that derm is an idiot. He may be the only derm in the world who says dermabrasion is ok after one month of accutane. My derm told even injecting collagen which is as mild as you can get should not be done for 6 months, let alone any form of abrasion. Even topical creams like retionoids he said wait at least one month. He is consistnent with all accutane literature and what everyone else here is posting.

This derm of yours should be beaten up, paraded thro the streets of Boston on top of a donkey and should be thrown into the Charles river with his hands tied.

Other than those thoughts I have right now, I am really a nice guy smile.gif

Perhaps it's microdermabrasion that the doctor is talking about. Some people actually do have a very gentle microdermabrasion performed whilst they're on isotretinoin-- it removes the top layer of skin, so the stuff that is being pushed out by accutane can escape. I dunno if I'd do it, but it's not exactly heretical practice.

Even if it is only microdermabrasion, I wouldn't suggest it to anyone on Accutane or the months following Accutane.

Yeah, it is micro-dermabrasion. Something called DiamondTone. He'd probably have stopped it by now if there had been problems. He has many patients doing that so we probably shouldn't string him up just yet. Since tanning booths were freaking me out while she was on accutane, I don't think we'll go for his right now anyway.

Boston, there is big difference between micro and regular dermabrasion as you might know. Your original post said dermabrasion and I was shocked smile.gif.

Seriously though you really want to continue going to this derm who "routinely" does microdermabrasion on accutane patients, microdermabrasion is mild but it is essentially aggresive peeling and the main reason for avoiding all such things while on tane is to avoid the risk of overgrowth of skin aka tumor, keloid etc etc due to the tane induced reaction.

Why not stick to topical retinoids for 6 months, which in the long run will really help the skin in addition to reducing the marks and then decide what you want to do...

I think theres a lot of differing opinions regarding all aspects of accutane and post accutane. Its pretty annoying. My derm once mentioned a difference between the states and the Uk vis a vis scarring treatments and said in the Uk, they leave it for at least a year whereas in the US, they generally act earlier on it. He said that there are more reports in the US of permenent scarring from acting too quickly post accutane than there are in the UK and that the US is just now cottoning onto this fact. This might be why theres so much confusion about the whole thing.

For me though, treatment will not be done until at least a year. He also said that i'll be surprised by how little i actually have once the red marks have gone and the skin has calmed and gone back to not being majorly fragile.

Its a tricky one, i'll say that but i'm going for leaving it a year.

Yo Fronk how ya doing?

Yeah, I totally agree with Fronk. And, i'll give you an example of the fragility of my skin. Guess where I've developed scars? Guess? Are you done guessing? MY DIMPLES!!! I never had acne in my dimples and now I have these permanent creases, scars. Weird. I think my skin is very fragile. My skin is like butter. My cat scratched my foot and she took off a big chunk of flesh instead of just a scratch. I have a hole in my foot haha. Not so bad. Anyway, I think waiting a year would be a good idea. Better to be conservative with regards to these things.

HELLLLO!!

FRAGILE SKIN.. i most definitely suffer from that, i have little cuts all over my hands from just knocking it and wake up with scratches on my face from where ive done it in my sleep. My skin seems thinner too, as in, slightly more transparent, lol. that doesnt sound right but it is.

OHHHHHHH two more months and then nice thick tough skin with NO ACNE and just a few war wounds, redmarks for souvenirs.

Frankie, I am completely with you. I am waiting at least a year before having any type of surgery to help with the scarring (unless you consider those cortisone shots surgery). This is partially due to financial reasons since Accutane is bankrupting me but also because I am afraid of permanent damage. In the meantime, I plan on spending that year working on my skin holistically to reduce the redness and scarring and to watch what nature does with my skin.

I am feeling a little better, too, guys. A woman in my office who hasn’t seen me in a while took one look at my skin and said “Wow!� She mentioned that the little scarring I have is nothing compared to what she had expected. She is older than I am and suffered from acne as a young woman as well. She said that she wished she had Accutane at my age but instead it was a pregnancy that cured her situation. Like Frankie (I’m sure), she has a beautiful English accent.

ha! I wish pregnancy cured my acne.. infact.. its what set the ball rolling. Good luck w/40 arpazia! Im sure you'll do fine, we're with ya girl. It's so nice to hear your skin is improving.