Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FrankieBGirl

Ostriches have it made..My skin dilemma..

Ostriches have it made because they can bury their heads in the sand. I am jealous of this fact, because right now...I am a mess!!!!

Im new to this board, and acne. I posted only one other time on this board..So this is my first thread. If you havent noticed, Im a little silly and write alot (Im a creative little bugger-but its how I cope.)

Alright, SO 5 months ago I got my first zit. I was 20 years old. Then, for my 21st Bday I got acne. Oh, How sweet of you, sebaceous glands. I get cystic acne on my lower face. The top part of my face is clear...and my cheeks used to be clear, but Retin A Micro has made sure to destroy that for me, as well. Gotta love Doctors who are less qualified than a lima bean to practice medicine. However, Bitterness and Anger aside... I am trying to find a way to stop my problem before it becomes a full out war taking place on the southern region of my face...or even worse *gasp*..moves to the northern region. (Darn Confederates, Leave the Yankees alone!)

I am currently on Retin A Micro .04% and I hate it more than the Lima Beans I spoke of earlier. I dont know but its made me super oily, and Im breaking out worse than before I started taking it. I know this is supposed to happen- but come the hell on, Are you trying to make me a total hermit? I hate leaving my house right now, because I feel like Swamp Thing. (Thank God I live in South Florida, where the Everglades are..If things get bad enough, Ill blend in nicely.)

Im desperately seeking Accutane and answers to my irrational fear of the so called "Miracle Drug". Since I am a skinny girl, and tall- I was thinking that accutane might wreak havoc on me. I probably would only be able to take a low dosage. Has anyone taken a low dosage and stayed clear? Ive heard a few stories where they stayed on it longer, but took a lower dose. (Such as 20 mgs for 8 months) Im scared of the dreaded "initial breakout" because my retin a micro breakout is pretty bad. I also have a ton of red marks.

If anyone has any information theyd like to share about Accutane.. (Aside from the usual "stock up on lip balm!" advice.. Not to say that isnt helpful, but God-Willing I know Ill need lip balm.) I guess I just need reassurance that itll work. I am so OCD about my skin because I work in an industry of beauty, and feel like I dont fit in there anymore...5 months ago I was SO confident and sure of myself- Now I am envious of an Ostrich. A big, furry bird, damit. A big furry bird Is what Im Jealous of.

Thanks for listening to me babble. If no one responds, Ill know I am in a boat all my own. I really am desperate for answers, and if I can figure out how- I will post before and after pics, and all of that hoo-hah. Thanks for any support, as well. God knows I need it.

Im desperately seeking Accutane and answers to my irrational fear of the so called "Miracle Drug".  Since I am a skinny girl, and tall- I was thinking that accutane might wreak havoc on me.  I probably would only be able to take a low dosage.  Has anyone taken a low dosage and stayed clear?  Ive heard a few stories where they stayed on it longer, but took a lower dose. (Such as 20 mgs for 8 months)  Im scared of the dreaded "initial breakout" because my retin a micro breakout is pretty bad. I also have a ton of red marks.

If anyone has any information theyd like to share about Accutane.. (Aside from the usual "stock up on lip balm!" advice.. Not to say that isnt helpful, but God-Willing I know Ill need lip balm.)  I guess I just need reassurance that itll work. I am so OCD about my skin because I work in an industry of beauty, and feel like I dont fit in there anymore...5 months ago I was SO confident and sure of myself- Now I am envious of an Ostrich. A big, furry bird, damit. A big furry bird Is what Im Jealous of.

great girl, you asked the question i've been wanting to ask from 'taners here!

I want super-low dosage (to avoid the initial breakout) but extended prescription of Accutane. If there was a 5mg, I'll take it everyday for a year.lol!

Exactly! I recently found out there IS 10 mg. Someone told me they took 10 mg for the first 3 months, then went up to 20 mg in the 4th month..and were about 98% clear from it, and was staying on it 8 or 9 months. Thats what I want, but I dont know how common it is! I only know of about 5 people who have done that.

Hi and welcome to the board. It’s always good to hear people describe their acne in an entertaining way - - it shows you have a sense of humor to cope with all this. Hang on to that.

Everything that GettingThere posted is basically right on. I am 5’8 and weigh 123 so I’m also a tall girl and relatively thin. I’ve been on Accutane for a little over four months now and am finally having great results. My doctor started me on twenty milligrams since I was afraid of the scary suicide thing (suffering from depression and all). After I completed one month of twenty milligrams, he increased my dose to forty and my skin went more haywire than usual. I took a hiatus from the drug and went back on two months later after getting a new dermatologist. I explained to him what happened when I was increased to forty milligrams a day so we started on twenty milligrams again with a dose of prednisone (remember that word - - it could save you during your initial breakout) and I just began forty milligrams a day again.

Still, after doing the math, I realized I’d be on Accutane until August unless I agreed with the increase to forty milligrams. The dermatologist assures me that I am in the “clear� - - no pun intended - - and probably won’t suffer another horrid breakout.

When on Accutane: (lip balm), tons of water. The side effects of Accutane are very similar to being dehydrated so drinking a lot of water will help alleviate most of those. And, coming from a girl who modeled during her teenage years, fuck the beauty industry. They only succeed in making women feel ugly and worthless if a woman doesn’t match the cover on a magazine. Also, try taking Vitamin E or Evening Primrose Oil to help keep your body moisturized.

When is your appointment with the dermatologist?

Thank you so much for your replies! I was worried that no one would understand my randomness.

I do have a relatively interesting outlook on my acne. My acne has a personality (and you know what they say about ugly things look better when they have a good personality..) It goes away for a few days, and I think "I conquered it!" and then I wake up with 4 cysts that make their presence known by being under the skin, but red enough to give a lovely zitty glow to the area. Then they must fear me talking smack about them in their absense, so they never really go away,and red marks are uncool. What-The-Hell-Ever.

I dont fully understand Accutane dosage. I know its 2 mg per some other number plus the additional fact that, lets face it, Im not bright when it comes to math. Is there a certain amount you have to take to get rid of the acne?

Prednisone. I will make a post it note. Im such a hype, Ill go in and ask my derm for it before they know my name. "Lemme get some of that Prednisone, Doc."

Thank you, though- In all seriousness. I am truely suffering with this, and even though I might make it seem light-hearted, its not...Ill admit to have broken down a time'er'two about it. Thanks for the support and tips. Lets hope I get accutane.

Appointment wise- I have to go back in a week (thatll be 4 weeks on Retin "A-hole") and we will go from there. She wants to give me Clindamyacin. I really want to give her the "backhand". Antibiotics wont help this, this is cystic acne. Also, why must we all go through this routine of "Here, Let me give you a bunch of medications that will exacerbate your acne and burn your skin and eventually will stop working, if they even work at all, and then after months of struggling- Ill give you Accutane where you can have, yet another, initial breakout..when I could have given you Accutane from the start and had you go thru the breakout, and be done with it." I mean.. What is this dance we are doing, Doctor?

For those that want the lower dosage - I think you'll change your mind once you realize just how quick and powerful accutane really is. I weigh 155 and I'm on 80mg a day - probably not increasing, but it's possible. I look better every day. I want it OVER with!

The side effects are minimal. I just can't wait until I don't have to worry about chapstick. The sooner the better.

Well, I truely am the definition of a lightweight. Im tiny, and always have been. Im barely 110 pounds people!!! Im a whole-lotta-nothin!! But, ya know- I dont think I could physically take a high dose of Accutane, based on weight alone. If I could gain weight, to be able to take a higher dosage for more effectiveness, I would do it. But, this wont happen unfortunately.

I dont know, a Derm might not think I am a candidate for accutane..Although I would say based on people who take it, I am. I get cysts primarily (the only non-cysts I have are on my lower cheeks, and these have got to be either from the birth control pill im taking, or the retin-a micro because I never had them before).. And my cysts tend to scar, and/or leave red marks. There were a few times I had up to 10 cysts on my chin...and being that I am a skinny chicken wing, my face is small as well. So that means, my chin is tiny...and 10 cysts, definately make it look more like the Alps than a chin.

The most rewarding thing to know, is that I also have high cholestoral (What can I say, the office space commercials for burger king are inspiring).. So thats another factor that might not allow me to get on it. I want to try to take a low dosage, if anything, just for those reasons. Being a peep, and having high cholestoral. I also heard that if someone starts you on too high of a dosage for your weight, your initial breakout can be so severe it will cause your skin to scar worse than ever (because it is also more fragile due to the accutane)...

I'm on what is considered a "low dose" course. It was my choice to do it this way. I weigh 100 pounds.I started on 10mg/day and after the first month I went up to 20 mgs/day. I have been on 20mgs/day for a month and a half. I am still breaking out, but my oil was gone after four days. It was incredible!

Retin-a made me super oily and gave me cysts. It simply did not work for me.

emmanuel-

Thanks for the post. Well, thats awesome..I hope to be non-oil-slick someday!

As far as you saying you are "still breaking out"... what do you mean by that besides the obvious..(im blonde but not THAT blonde)- I just mean.. Is it the initial breakout (youre still early on in treatment), or are you still seeing the normal amount of breakouts that you usually get??

Retin-A Micro is giving me more than oily skin and cysts. Its giving me headaches because I am banging my head against the wall from the aggrivation of it all. (not literally) I cant stress how much I hate it, though- And my Doc is going to get schooled on my hatred for it, as well.

Good luck with your accutane. I really hope it works for you, and fast! Although, Im sure youll start seeing results very soon.

ps- My medical insurance is useless in terms of prescriptions.. I pay 45$ for retin-a micro (I could have used that 45$ for alot more than new acne).. So Im not sure what I would be charged for Accutane. Any ideas what it costs?? (insurance may cover some of it, im not 100% sure...) Thanks!

I don't know. Honestly, I am not sure if it's an initial breakout or what. confused.gif I am only at the 2½ month mark, and I am on a low dose to boot, so who knows.

As far as insurance, all plans vary. Call your insurance company and ask them.

The major reason I'm on such a low dose is because I have a bad reaction to higher doses.

Minocylcin helped my cystic acne for a really long time - - years - - so it can be cured with antibiotics and if it still worked, there is no way I'd be on Accutane right now. Still, I understand your point. Begin where you are going to end...

For your high cholesterol, take Garlic supplements and try eating salads at McDonalds (not sure if they're offered by BK) instead.

I have Horizon Blue Cross/Blue Shield PPO and they suck. I have to meet a prescription deductible of $500 every year before I get reimbursed for my medication. Then, I still have to pay out-of-pocket and wait three to six weeks to get a reimbursement check. Accutane costs me around $200 + dollars every month. It sucks. I need new tires and have to put something on my credit card this month that will gain interest. I hope it works out better for you.

I completely feel your pain arpazia. I am not on your insurance, but since I lost my parents and am unemployed I have had to get supplemental which doesn't cover shit! I am paying $140 for 30 - 40mg pills! When my derm doubles the dosage, the costs doubles too. Its a hell of an expense to be on accutane.