Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LV Boy

I went to a new derm...

It just seems that the majority don't really care or seem to understand how painful it is. I sit down when he comes in the room, my father next me.

He looks at me and lowers his glasses, asking me why I was there.

Ok. I'm thinking to myself, 'look at my face a-hole. You tell me.'

So I'm a bit bitter now. He's like all the other derms I've seen.

I tell him that I used Doxycycline, Benzacline, and a BP Gel with my last derm for a 6 week cycle and it did nothing for me. BP doesn't work I told him, at least not for me. It makes me red, swell up, itchy, and miserable.

What does he prescribe me? BP Wipes. Ughh, along with Retin A Micro and Dynacin Tablets. It's such a painful process. Ugh.

Then the derm recommends that I get a 20$ acid peel bi monthly. Anyone else but me think that my derm is crazy? My face has active acne, tons of red marks, and swollen spots galore, and he wants to peel it. Great. Wouldn't that just aggrevate it more?

Anyone, from experience, think that maybe he's just another money hungry derm?

I'll post before and now pictures in a minute.

K, here is a pic of me at the end of my freshman year in high school. Clear. I really miss being able to touch my skin and have it smooth. sad.gif

Note: For my before pic, look one post below this. I couldn't get it to work for some reason...

Then here is one of my acne and scars from above-ish.

user posted image

Then here are just the other views. My face is horrible, it's so embarrassing. Why the hell. This all started in the middle of my sophomore year, and it's been exactly one year, and my face has escalated to this, leaving me worried. It's so severe. sad.gif

user posted image

user posted imageuser posted image

user posted image

And finally. How I feel about myself. Note: I'm not really touching my face, but it appears that way.

user posted image

There ya go. This is all in the span of one year. I had clear skin like in the first pic exactly one year ago. Now I'm a disaster. I'm seriously thinking it's my liver.

Ok. Number one. Never ever say that you are a horrible looking person. Even with acne I can see the handsomeness shining through. You are a very goodlooking person and you can tell from your eyes that you are a kind one as well. Personally, and I know what you're going through, I think you should try accutane. It would clear you right up. I think you'd be a really good candidate if you can take the medication. I wouldn't bother with BP or peels. It will only irritate your skin. I wouldn't bother with topicals. I would try to treat it from the inside and don't bother with antibiotics either. Have you considered ALA photodynamic therapy? It costs 1000 bucks but I think (if you don't want to take accutane) that it would clear you right up smile.gif Good luck. We're here for you. And, dump that jerk derm of yours and find another.

I think accutane might be a good idea, too. My acne was a lot like yours before I went on antibiotics. They cleared it up quite a bit, but not completely. Now I'm on accutane.

Ok. Number one. Never ever say that you are a horrible looking person. Even with acne I can see the handsomeness shining through. You are a very goodlooking person and you can tell from your eyes that you are a kind one as well. Personally, and I know what you're going through, I think you should try accutane. It would clear you right up. I think you'd be a really good candidate if you can take the medication. I wouldn't bother with BP or peels. It will only irritate your skin. I wouldn't bother with topicals. I would try to treat it from the inside and don't bother with antibiotics either. Have you considered ALA photodynamic therapy? It costs 1000 bucks but I think (if you don't want to take accutane) that it would clear you right up smile.gif Good luck. We're here for you. And, dump that jerk derm of yours and find another.

It would be nice if you could go straight to accutane. I really think antibiotics would be a waste of 3-4 months only to be partially clear. A little longer and you could be completely clear.

Just know that there is always hope smile.gif

It would be nice if you could go straight to accutane. I really think antibiotics would be a waste of 3-4 months only to be partially clear. A little longer and you could be completely clear.

Just know that there is always hope  smile.gif

Guest Craigems

Yeh bro i was much like you ... 1 year clear maybe a few dots here and there ... then BANG explosion BUT, ur lucky... i was unfortunant enough to have my whole top of my body covered with this shit. I looked like you do now, plus all down the neck, and down the chest shoulders and all the way down the back almost my butt. But Accutane has like cured my back acne almost straight off, my chest is getting clearer occasional bumps here and there.... my neck is now clear from any active acne. And maybe 2 spots on my forhead just above my left eyebrow do i have 2 dried out specs.

My scarring is like fading (the red-ness is fading relatively quick)... fortunantly a few indentations here and there on my neck about 8 huge ones on my chest and well thats about it.

LV_Boy i feel your pain mate, if you can get on the Tane its all for the best. Also how recently did you have your WORST breakout? because if you had your worst just (just recently) before you go on tane you have a chance of missing the initial breakout wink.gif Because your white blood cell count will be higher than normal etc. thats what happened to me smile.gif

Please come to these boards we are all here to support one another. So if you feel like absolute shit.. read up on these boards you might learn some cool stuff wink.gif as well as gain support, as i have smile.gif

Yeh bro i was much like you ... 1 year clear maybe a few dots here and there ... then BANG explosion BUT, ur lucky... i was unfortunant enough to have my whole top of my body covered with this shit. I looked like you do now, plus all down the neck, and down the chest shoulders and all the way down the back almost my butt. But Accutane has like cured my back acne almost straight off, my chest is getting clearer occasional bumps here and there.... my neck is now clear from any active acne. And maybe 2 spots on my forhead just above my left eyebrow do i have 2 dried out specs.

My scarring is like fading (the red-ness is fading relatively quick)... fortunantly a few indentations here and there on my neck about 8 huge ones on my chest and well thats about it.

LV_Boy i feel your pain mate, if you can get on the Tane its all for the best. Also how recently did you have your WORST breakout? because if you had your worst just (just recently) before you go on tane you have a chance of missing the initial breakout wink.gif Because your white blood cell count will be higher than normal etc. thats what happened to me smile.gif

Please come to these boards we are all here to support one another. So if you feel like absolute shit.. read up on these boards you might learn some cool stuff wink.gif as well as gain support, as i have smile.gif

that skin definetely needs accutane! What's wrong woth that stupid derm? Try to get another one and another one.

Have you asked your new one for accutane though?

Oh and I wouldn't bother with what he gave to you.

No problem buddy. We're here for you and we know what you're going through. It will all get better. You'll be clear in no time and this will be a memory.

Like I said, Retin A and other topicals won't help. I wouldn't even give them a shot. It won't fix the problem. Of course, appease your derm and say you did. I wouldn't wait. I'd go tomorrow and find a derm that'd put me on tane.

You can see my previous posts, I was terrified to be on it but now i'm clear. Your problem is hormonal. I'm a believer that topicals only work on small head acne or acne like rashes. The big ones, they need to be treated from the inside. Trust me, I did years of proactive with no success. In 30 days I was clear with tane.

ALA photodynamic thearpy is when they put this photosensitive liquid on your face and make you sit in front of a blue light. The chemical, when made active, kills the bacteria and shrinks the sebaceous glands. It's like accutane like that but it may have to be redone in a few years. Since there are no guarantees with accutane either, I would give it a shot. It's expensive but worth it I think.

Whatever you do, don't lose hope. We're really here for you and we care.

You're a cute guy, with or without acne! For real dude. biggrin.gif I think it's great you're going to ask for Accutane, I think it'd be the best choice for you. BP wipes and Retin-A and peels together, oh my gosh, my face would burn off! If you're going to give a shot, make sure you get a suuuuper gentle cleanser and moisturizer, like Dove.

Good luck getting Tane!! Stick around, there is a great support network here. If you ever feel bummed out just come rant to us, because trust me, we all know how you feel smile.gif

Mae

Luckily my mom referred me to a dermatologist whom she knew for years and years. Every other derm wouldn't give accutane the time of day. I currently have 6 prescriptions for antibiotics just sitting in my car.

He even gave me the accutane the very same day, without having to jump through a ton of hoops. Which is odd, since i'm not 18, but I do live by myself, so I figure he felt my dilemma.

So far, so good. Accutane is a wonderful drug, it really is, and I hope you get to go on it. Even a month in, to have partially clear skin means the world.

Well when I went to my derm she was very nice and I was releived that she had nice glowing skin. So I knew she was the real deal and knew what she was talking about. i lied to her in a way. I was prescribed minocinolin for my acne once but I read all the experiences of ppl who had taken them. I didnt want to lower my good bacteria or suffer even more severe acne so I threw them out. However I did use retina and clindamcyn and Muac all that other crap. I just told I have been battling with acne for 4 years tried the anitibotics and the creams etc and it dosent work. I want accutane! She didnt even figh with me she just examined my jaw line where I have alot of bumps under the skin and my back etc which only had hyperpigmentation. So TOMOROW is the big day when i start thank god. I really hope you get what you want and for this new derm lie to him and say youve tried everything and hell give you tane.

You're story is so similar to mine, except you are male and younger. I got acne for my 21st birthday. I literally had the worst/first breakout of my life on my birthday in October. I wanted to hide out.. Since then, Its gotten worse..in a matter of 4 months my skin looks 100% different than it used to. I luckily was clear through high school and even afterwards. Then, I just exploded. I actually only get it on my lower cheeks and chin- but I get about 9 cysts at a time, plus a bunch of smaller breakouts. It sucks, and my Dr gave me Retin A Micro as well. Shes a real tart because she also told me Accutane is only for guys. (Wtf..are you joking? So many women take Accutane its not even funny- Im scared that shes practicing medicine and I was still sitting in her office after a comment like that!)

Anyways- Hang in there. You're gorgeous and sweet- and honestly, I know its hard. But you seem well-adjusted and have a good sense of yourself because youre still hanging out with your friends. (Some people isolate themselves) Accutane would probably do the trick for you, Although I have a strong feeling that your experiencing hormonal problems because of the random on-set and worsening of it and your age and this, my darling, will pass. Dont let things bother you, You will have clear skin just like everyone else soon. I guess that its a life lesson of some sort, and in the end- Youll have beautiful skin and the installation of good character because youll know better than to diss people who have bad skin, or whatever else you might see. I know that my experience has changed my outlook.

Good luck, and I apologize for the long post.. I just feel what youre saying, and feel like our situation is so similar. Im trying to get Accutane but my family and friends dont support it (Boo! Off with their heads! Jk, Thats so wrong!)

your acne isn't so severe, but it is widespread. accutane would work really well..

I really hate preaching about what has been working for me.

But this past summer, my face was similiar to yours. just widespread chaos of redmarks. and although I still have a few redmarks left, my face has gotten at least 2 times better than before I changed up my diet.

maybe its for you, follow the two week diet, which includes no washing of the face, no lotion, no antibiotics, and no soda.

http://www.freeacnebook.com/SampleDiet.htm

You're a brave soldier posting a picture of yourself eusa_clap.gif

I would seriously give it two weeks on this "diet" before you take the plunge with accutane. I had a cousin go on that this past summer and although it worked for him, he is basically scarred for life with scars.