Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hrb007

Clear with St. Ives Medicated Apricot Scrub

Just wanted to share some products and ideas that seems to have finally worked to keep my skin under control. Some background:

-21 year old male

-Mild, yet -very- persistent, acne since 15 or 16

-Have tried Proactiv, Dan's Regimen, Botchla's, some other homemade combinations

-Mostly get whiteheads, sometimes the small, but bright red bumps (forget name)

-No blackheads ever (don't know why)

-Mild, but definitely present red marks

Proactiv was terrible, Dan's and Botchla's gave me decent at best results, but my skin was never as clear and felt as good as it does now. It's hard to explain, but even if there were days where I had basically no active acne, my skin was always leathery, dry, or simply didn't feel good.

Things like like loads of Benzoyl Peroxide or Tea Tree Oil (especially combined with cold weather) would make my skin so dry I really can't express how bad it was. I somehow managed to go to class with so many flakes of skin all over my face, but looking back at it I don't know how I managed to not skip those days. Shaving, manual and chemical exfoliation, tape, nor moisturizer could keep the flakes under control.

Disgusted with Tea Tree Oil and large amounts of BP, I decided to try a more or less only Salicylic Acid program. I had used Clean & Clear Blackhead Scrub from Botchla's, but I had heard the St. Ives Medicated Apricot Scrub (2% SA) was a better product, and cheaper to boot. For three and a half weeks straight on this product I have had 3 tiny zits, 1 being a whitehead and 2 being the small red bumps. The second I noticed them, I went ahead and applied a tiny, tiny bit of BP on them. Within the next day or so they were either gone, or close to it. What I do everyday is:

Morning:

1. In the shower wash face with St. Ives Medicated Apricot Scrub.\

2. Moisturize with Eucerin Renewal w/ 15 spf (my favorite moisturizer)

Night:

1. Prepare face for shaving with a quick rinse with a tiny amount of Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser

2. Shave (sometimes everyday, sometimes every other day, just depends)

3. Wash face with St. Ives Medicated Apricot Scrub

4. Apply small (-tiny-) amount of BP to any spots (luckily I've only done this 3 times)

5. Apply aloe vera gel as night moisturizer product (I use the Fruit of the Earth kind)

I know some say a scrub like St. Ives Medicated Apricot Scrub isn't made for daily use, and I can understand where they are coming from, but personally my skin has never felt better in a really long time. And this is coming from someone whose face can get so dry and irritated from certain products that my skin is feeling and flaking like it's sunburnt, but it isn't! One last thing, I've always wondered about the connection between my diet and acne, and I never could pinpoint any specific thing, but I can say that I haven't been eating poorly lately, but by no means have I had zero soda, sweets, refined products, etc. and things are going well. Just depends person to person, I guess. Good luck.

Hi,

I had an extreme amount of success with that scrub two years ago. Since then, I stopped using it, switched to a series of different regimines but nothing was working. since last year, I started to break out on my forehead (and I never had before).

anyway, despite the good results...I seriously think you should stop using it though. It's one of the most damaging exfoliators around:

http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep/browse_products.php

go to Skin Care in the pull down menu, then Exfoliators.

Hi,

I had an extreme amount of success with that scrub two years ago. Since then,  I stopped using it, switched to a series of different regimines but nothing was working. since last year, I started to break out on my forehead (and I never had before).

anyway, despite the good results...I seriously think you should stop using it though. It's one of the most damaging exfoliators around:

http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep/browse_products.php

go to Skin Care in the pull down menu, then Exfoliators.

Wow. I appreciate you sharing this with me. Let me ask you, did you go off of the scrub because of this finding? Did your skin get bad pretty much soon after? Are you clear/semi clear, if so what are you doing now?

Wow. I appreciate you sharing this with me. Let me ask you, did you go off of the scrub because of this finding? Did your skin get bad pretty much soon after? Are you clear/semi clear, if so what are you doing now?

Also, what do you think of some kind of sulfur (kaolin and bentonite natural clay) masque / water only regimen? My skin is clear at the moment, and while it hurts to go off this St. Ives product, christ it is a damaging product. I know you find warnings and stuff for a whole slew of products, but it really stood out for some reason when I looked at the page you linked to me.

I use sulfur soap along with every thing else I use in my other post (This seems to work) I buy it at my local cost cutter store (food pavillion) ... works good.