Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am on week 2 of Accutane, and going through all the dry mouth and face pealing like a snake, nose bleeds and most of all terrible break outs, worse then I had before I started to take it! In my reading of this site, I have began to wonder how much I should take and body weight stuff has completely lost me! I am 132 pounds and taking 40mg a day, is this accurate for me? Can someone help? If it is not right I want to know so when I go back to the derm in a few weeks I can request a change.

In my reading I have seen some people paying so much for Accutane, I guess I am lucky cuz my insurance pays all but my $10. co-pay. I have tried everything out there over the years and bleached many clothes, sheets and towels from endless acne treatments. I have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on over the counter things, prescriptions, microdermabrasion, photo facials, peals and the latest rage, nothing ever working for me Accutane is my last hope for clear skin.

You start off on a low dose so your body can adjust to the Accutane - It will probably be upped on your next visit.

How old are you? I've seen some people around here start on 10 or 20 mg. I'm 26 and started on 80 mg. For my second month, my derm kept my dosage the same.

How old are you?  I've seen some people around here start on 10 or 20 mg.  I'm 26 and started on 80 mg.  For my second month, my derm kept my dosage the same.

132 lbs = 60 kilograms.

ideally you want to be taking between .5 to 1mg/kg per day.

Ie for you 30mg to 60mg a day.

Your dose fits nicely in the middle of that so it's quite good.

smile.gif

And the initial breakout could last a while maybe up to the 2nd month (in the extreme), although basically it just means it working. Stick with it and have patience, you will have clear skin soon enough.

132 lbs = 60 kilograms.

ideally you want to be taking between .5 to 1mg/kg per day.

Ie for you 30mg to 60mg a day.

Your dose fits nicely in the middle of that so it's quite good.

smile.gif

And the initial breakout could last a while maybe up to the 2nd month (in the extreme), although basically it just means it working. Stick with it and have patience, you will have clear skin soon enough.

The dose is normal for your weight still I had a bad reaction on forty milligrams and we’re about the same size. Due to this negative reaction, I stayed on twenty milligrams for a very long time and just recently went back on forty (in the middle of my forth month). As far as initial breakouts go, everyone’s experience is different. Most people have the initial breakout around the second to sixth week of treatment. The best thing you can do is be patient and absolutely suggest prednisone to your doctor. It will help with the initial breakout you’re experiencing so much! Good luck and let us know how you’re doing!

wub.gifHappy Valentines Day! wub.gif

Just about done with month one and today I was finally told that my skin is looking good!! eusa_dance.gif Oh how I have waited for this day to come!! biggrin.gif I know I will probable wake up tomorrow and have new break outs but I understand that there will be good days and bad days though out the treatment, but I can really get use to these “Good Days� I had so much more confidence today from the moment I got out of the shower and began to get ready for work and saw my face in the mirror yeh there are still many flaws but finally after years and $$ I can see the light at the end of the tunnel coming! cool.gif

I have started using Aquaphor cuz some many rant and rave on how great it is, and it is pretty good, pretty expensive too. I am still using Cetaphil cleanser the bar kind that is also antibacterial and I have been rotating between the Cetaphil face lotion and Clinique Dramatically Different lotion. I think that the Cetaphil is kinda burning my face, not so sure what is in it besides the SPF that may cause a burn. As far as body soap I love Dove and never will stop using that!

Does anyone notice that their nails grow more on Accutane? It seems that mine are which is great cuz I did acrylic for years which ruined my nails.

Anyway I just wanted to tell ya all who care that I am actually doing pretty good and I am sooo happy with my results this far! biggrin.gif

Hey I'm happy 4 you...hopefully soon I'll get to see that pretty light at the end of the tunnel biggrin.gif I'm on my 4th day and I have'nt felt any effects...YET...I'm still scared about that, I heard from alot of people about the whole... your face gets worse before it gets better thing...well I have severe cystic acne and face full of scars( can it get any worse?) even if it did I would'nt notice...I'm used 2 it cry.gif But anyway I hope skin keeps on improving and you finally get to bass in the light eusa_angel.gif Good luck!!!!

Scarred4lyfe,

You sound just like me. Severe Cystic Acne, with so many scars it's hard to tell when you are breaking out. I am on my 5th day of accutane. And since yesterday I have been breaking out. I really hope that I am getting my Initial Breakout early on, and out of the way. But with my luck, it's just another regular breakout. My skin is a little less oily today. And my lips are starting to chap a bit.

BTW, I am 125 lbs, and I am on 20mgs/day. (10mgs/AM, 10mgs/PM)

Good Luck to EVERYONE on accutane. I wish you all the best. We all deserve a break from all this misery. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Chow For Now!!!!!