Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nyny18

Fraxel vs Smoothbeam

After reading a ton of posts on this site, it seems to me that people have expereinced the best results results on mild/moderate scars for invasive procedures with either the fraxel and smoothbeam lasers. I am trying to decide which one to try and would like to know if anyone had both lasers done and which they thought was more effective.

Smoothbeam has been around longer so it is more documented and it is the only FDA approved treatment for scars. Fraxel may be better, but I don't know what its FDA approval is for; if it is being used for scars as an off-label use, it could turn out to be another thermage catastrophe. That is the problem, we just don't have enough info on it.

I agree with emmanuel and Frozenblizz. Fraxel may turn out to be very effective, but it's unproven and still in the early stages of testing for treating acne scars. I think that Fraxel is approved to treat preorbital wrinkles (laugh lines around the eyes) or something, but those are very easy to smooth, from what I have read. Even simple chemical peels can smooth them.

Smoothbeam is already FDA approved and more widely available. I should probably say that I am trying SB in a few days, but I would (will?) also try a Fraxel if it was available within an hour's drive. It may also turn out that a SB/Fraxel combo is the holy grail that many of us seek. Much like the recent successes of the C02/yag combo lasers that some docs are using.

Oldguy I also am scheduled to have smoothbeam this upcoming Friday. I am just nervous that it will make my existing scars worse. I had a bad experience with microdermabrasion. The machine the assistant used didnt have the crystals it was basically just a vacuum and after four sessions it made my face worse. I feel like my pored got much bigger and more visible in areas(like to the left and right of my nose) made pores noticeable where they werent before the treatment. I have decided to go through with it anyway though because I need to do something to try to improve. I can honestly say there isnt one day that passes that I dont think about my scars for at least half the day.

Oldguy I thought you hated Smoothbeam. You TURNCOAT!!

I will say that my improvements from smoothbeam appear to be permanent. It's been.... 10 months now? Since my last treatment, and my skin is very calm.

I again insert: if you can get a package deal with vBeam, do it, and have them do both of those lasers on the same day, during the same visit. SB after VB, though the order is probably not too crucial.

I don't hate SB, lol. I am going for a 2nd Vbeam...ing since my remaining broken caps kind of branched out like little creeks a couple weeks after my 1st one. eusa_doh.gif So I just figured I would try SB while I was there. The machine was right there calling to me and all. It would be nice to not have to use topicals to treat acne as well!

Oldguy I thought you hated Smoothbeam. You TURNCOAT!!

I will say that my improvements from smoothbeam appear to be permanent. It's been.... 10 months now? Since my last treatment, and my skin is very calm.

I again insert: if you can get a package deal with vBeam, do it, and have them do both of those lasers on the same day, during the same visit. SB after VB, though the order is probably not too crucial.

Great to hear about the improvement! Why do you recommend both treatments?

OG, did your caps do that as a result of SB?

Emma dahling, I recommend them together because when I had vBeam performed consecutively with Smoothbeam, I didn't experience a post SB breakout. smile.gif

Dr. Chu actually advocated this machine (the vBeam actually, which, I believe, is an off-label use) as an acne treatment many, many moons ago-- I think it was actually in a post made by Maya when she was still here.

And the basic effect of the improvement is that I once again feel, well, hot. I feel like I have a life to live, again-- I don't worry about the fluorescent lighting on the train. I may be having a Yarborough dermabrasion later, though... Because mommie's offered to pay for it. (i'm a hideous brat-- probably won't disclose that fact again)... mmm, maybe even Orentreich injections.

--GoldRex

Great to hear about the improvement! Why do you recommend both treatments?

OG, did your caps do that as a result of SB?