Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lexilex

accutane-- but antibiotics FIRST

my derm has been trying to get me on accutane for 2 years. i have always been reluctant because of the side effects, and i felt foolish taking such a crazy drug for something i thought was cosmetic or selfish or something...

up until recently, my acne has been mild to moderate, severe in the past year or so...then BAM--6 months ago, cycts started creaping up more and more often. after trying everything (haven't we all) i finally gave into the idea of accutane. so i went on the pill, got the blood work, and was set to start tuesday of next week. BUT, i have this colony of cycts on my right jawbone. they're weird, like an underground tunnel system...and i wanted my MD to check it out before the weekend...i have been on antibiotics (most recently bactrim then doryx--again) but they have done nothing about the cycts (or anything for that matter) and my sub-mental glands have been swollen for the past 2 months from the inflammation on my face. looking at my face it looks ok. i clearly have acne, but it doesn't look HORRIBLE (i think it does, but you know how critical of ourselves/our skin we can be)

---ok so here is the deal... my derm is making me do ANOTHER round of a DIFFERENT antibiotic BEFORE i even get to start the accutane. he says these cysts are an abscess and he wouldn't inject them. i am very frustrated since it took me years to make the 'tane decision and now i can't seem to move forward.

so these are my questions:

1. has anyone else had swollen glands from cystic acne?

2. has anyone else had to take antibiotics to get their acne to a certain point BEFORE they could start accutane?

3. has anyone taken omnicef (the antibiotic he prescribed)?

**and to everyone that posts on these boards: thank you for sharing, writing, supporting...i have been reading them for a few months now and never wrote. but your stories have kept me going. thank you.

FYI: i am 26, have had acne (mild) since my teens, moderate since college, and severe in the past 2 years.

thank you in advance for any replies.

peace.

1. has anyone else had swollen glands from cystic acne?

2. has anyone else had to take antibiotics to get their acne to a certain point BEFORE they could start accutane?

3. has anyone taken omnicef (the antibiotic he prescribed)?

**and to everyone that posts on these boards: thank you for sharing, writing, supporting...i have been reading them for a few months now and never wrote. but your stories have kept me going. thank you.

FYI: i am 26, have had acne (mild) since my teens, moderate since college, and severe in the past 2 years.

thank you in advance for any replies.

peace.