Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dan

Alpha hydroxy acid experiment

I just wanted to point out that adding alpha-hydroxy acid to Dan's regimen would put it in line with the Proactiv solution.

Why?

Alpha-hydroxy acids are organic acids with an alcohol functional group attached to the carbon adjacent to the carbonyl-containing carbon (or on the alpha position, hence the name). What is the simplest AHA? Glycolic acid....the same acid used in Proactiv's toner. What is proactive? Benzoyl Peroxide + glycolic acid.

It should come as no shock to anyone with mild acne that this will work, since proactiv seems to work for the majority of mild cases.

So sorry to shoot people down from their cloud, but just because alpha-hydroxy acid sounds diffierent or new, it's the same thing as glycolic acid. No new revelations here. On a side note, using glyoclic acid toners on a daily basis is a good idea whether you have acne-prone skin or not, especially if it's oily. Great for the complexion

that's wat i was thinking. but money's a big difference. i can do dan's regimen with AHA, save money, and consequently use a whole lot more bp and AHA. cant wait to start the regimen in a week, my face is already bp tolerant ima smudge my face with that stuff. ive been on proactive for 8 weeks now, had results, now startin to break out again, cant wait to get my $70 back so i can buy like 10 times the amount of bp, AHA, cleanser, and moisterizer for way cheaper.

Derek2005 wrote:

than finally I make it by myself using herble extracts.(My job is to sell skin care ingredients to the manufacturer, so I can take the convinience.)

I don't know if you all believe in Chinese herble remedies or not. If yes, I can introduce some.

I would like to add my two cents that I'm a great believer in salicylic acid used in conjunction with benzoyl peroxide.

Either used alone BY THEMSELVES will not be effective, or as effective as used in conjunction. Dr. Kligman (the "father" of Retin A) has said this repeatedly. He found that a 2% salicylic solution was as effective in exfoliating as an 8% glycolic acid. That is why salicylic acid is used in lower strengths - you just don't need as much as glycolic acid for the same performance.

In Prevention magazine 2 or 3 issues ago, in an article on acne, one prominent dermatologist was interviewed and said that the best over the counter treatment is a 2% salicylic acid solution used in conjunction with a 10% benzoyl peroxide topical. (Of course is 10% is too strong for you, use the weaker strenghth). I myself use a 2% salicylic acid cleanser along with a 10% BP cream. But I have extremely oily skin, so it works!

Interestingly enough, Proactiv Solution is now marketing a "newer" Proactiv Solution, marketed as extra strength, containing a 2% salicylic acid cleanser, a 2% salicylic acid toner, and a 7% benzoyl peroxide lotion. They are going very low key with this product for some reason; it's not yet on their website and QVC, who sells tons of Proactiv Solution kits does not yet carry this. But if you call Guthy Renker's 800 # you can order this directly, as I did.

Anyway, I found the extra strength kit to be MUCH more gentle than their regular kit that has gycolic acid toner. I figure, for me anyway, salicylic acid IS much more gentle that glycolic acid can ever be. Go figure! But I thought I'd share this information for anyone who is interested. I didn't care for the basic Proactiv kit, but the extra-strength one is wonderful.

I mixed alpha hydrox oil free with benzoyl peroxide lotion in my hand half and half and it does seem to make it penetrate better and kill the zit faster. Great idea Dan ! eusa_dance.gif

Dan, I have a question about your regimen and this product and the simularities between the alpha hydroxies in this and the Euracin(sp?) Lotion you reccomended for it..

I used your BP and the Lotion you reccomended in the Regimen, but my face was so dry and was starting to get burned around my eyes. I figured the lotion had alcohol in it, so I stopped using it. When I was using it, my face was just about 100% clear, but even though I'd do anything to make my acne, no matter how little I have, go away, I won't make my face actually HURT just to be clear. So I just use BP and it only controls my acne, I still get pimples, but my face isn't loaded with them.

So, my question is...If you use JUST an alpha hydroxy like this lotion all over your face, do you still have to use BP? I would test it myself, but I have a date in a week and I'm not going to let my face break out. razz.gif

So just curious, maybe you've tried it and got results, I don't know.

I think what is happening is the alpha hydroxy acid breaks up the plugged pore and the benzoyl peoxide can kill the bacteria easier. And as we all know, it the the plugged up pore that causes the oil gland to back up and the normally produced oil cant be released onto to the skin as it is suppossed to be and then you get the acne or cyst from the backed up pore.

Dan-should the AHA replace the moisturizer? Or is it still reccomended to moisturize after applying the BP?

other than skin drying out, which mine doesn't too bad after putting AHA over a good area of my face, are there any risks of using AHA on your whole face?

this was happening to me as well.  It was totally annoying, the bp gel sliding right off.  But the thing was, I was using the aha lotion like almost all over my face (which turned out to be a bad idea)  Now I just use the aha on SPOTS only.  Exactly where I have a zit forming, I apply aha to it.  Just the pimple.  Then I wait a few moments for the aha to dry wherever I've applied it.  And when I put on the bp gel, it doesn't slide all over the place anymore.

Make sure you are using the aha only on spots where a pimple is forming.

It definitely stops a zit from forming into a huge monster for me.  I apply it directly on the pimple before using BP.  I get those under-the-skin zits, the painful ones that last FOREVER and always leave a damn red mark for years afterwards no matter what!!  eusa_wall.gif  Sorry, had to vent.  Anyway, the aha stops these quite nicely.    And it diminishes the chances of lengthy red marks when you use it on a forming pimple.

so ur saying only put it on zits that are forming? what about existing zits?

so let me get this straight.

AHA is the first thing u put on (spot treatment) after u wash ur face.

then bp

then moisturizer?

i have almost every in the mail already to come for dan's regimen i bought everything i needed. but im scared to go on it sad.gif

so many horror stories about bp redness etc.

do u guyz pop ur zits when they become whiteheads?

can anyone verify my questions thanks. really want clear skin..

and dan i hate u tongue.gif j/K

ur skin is flawless from the vids i see. very nice smile.gif

Guest TylerD

You dont breakout from using 20 pumps of Eucerin?!?!??!?! Like i use 2 pumps of the neutrogena moisturizer for my entire face forehead chin cheeks everything and im good go to wow 20 sounds like alot holy crap lol.

You dont breakout from using 20 pumps of Eucerin?!?!??!?! Like i use 2 pumps of the neutrogena moisturizer for my entire face forehead chin cheeks everything and im good go to wow 20 sounds like alot holy crap lol.

What are you doing about the red marks? I probably get like 1-2 isolated zits a week, nothing major, and am pretty much just dealing with the red spots now.

where can i find this in the uk? i've been searching google for ages!

i can't find something suitable, anyone with info it would be greatly appreciated!