Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ProActive has done wonders for me. Cleared my mild/moderate acne up quickly, and it never over dried my skin (that being said I always use a good moisturizer and followed the directions exactly). After 5+ years of use I came off of it (about 5 months ago) in the hopes of trying some new products and naively thinking that I had "grown out of" my acne. Big mistake! My acne has been out of control since. After attempting various alternative natural treatments, other medicated products and even oral antibiotics, I've thrown in the towel and returned to using ProActive. It's only been 5 days and my roommates have already been commenting on the fact that my skin is looking much better (less irritated and more healthy).

Point being, while I don't think that ProActive is the “best†solution (it doesn't get to the root cause of acne & contains harsh ingredients) it definitely works for me. And I’m just happy that I have found something that can keep my acne under control. Once my skin improves I will definitely attempt to supplement my regimen with more "natural" products where possible.

Edited by HopefulSceptic

I had acne REALLY bad, I seriously tried everything from baking soda to even proactive and none of it worked. The way I figured out how to get rid of it was by actually figuring out what type of skin you have on your face. There are so many different types it was crazy. I learned how to figure out the type I had from http://3bc412fzyw4y2r7xv49tow933g.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=ACNE . This was the product that really saved my social life and im finally all cleared up. Hope it helps!

LOL, of course Proactiv doesn't work. It doesn't really take a genius to figure it out.

The cleanser and toner they supply is nothing special, and you can buy them in shops for a quarter of the price. The 'dime-sized' amount of 2.5% BP they instruct you to apply will do NOTHING. I remember when I first got Proactiv I was always worrying whether I was applying too much of their 'repairing lotion.' LOL. You need tons and tons (the way Dan does it) of 2.5% BP in order for it to do anything.

In any case, you could easily buy the identical ingredients needed for Proactiv in stores, for a fraction of the price (which also avoids the shipping costs and waiting time).

The people who say Proactiv made their skin 'worse' or 'better' are talking BS, though. Proactiv doesn't do anything. If your skin got worse while you were on it, then your skin was having an off day. Proactiv is not not harsh at al, unless your skin is SUPER sensitive or you are allegeric to BP or something. Same with if it got better. It had nothing to do with Proactiv, because the stuff they tell you to apply in the amounts they tell you to apply it is very very weak and is equivalent to not applying anything whatsoever.

Proactive has made my skin clearer, but what the websight doesnt tell you is that you dont just buy one kiy with big bottles of solution...you get a new kit 3 different times and instead of 20 dollars you end up spending over 60...so i would have to say that even though it works the slightest bit it does not work fast and efficiently enough for every life style.

Trust me, spending your money on Proactive is definitely not worth it. Though, Proactive may work for some people, practically all the reviews I've read have been negative. Rating, 2.6/5? ..Doesn't sound very convincing to me. With my experience with Proactive, my acne got the slightest bit better at first, but then started to break out worse than it has ever done so before. Giant, knot like pimples appeared all over my cheek and chin areas. Extremely sore to the touch. I kept using the product in hopes of it working, but it did nothing but get worse. I used it for approximately a month, and nothing happened at all. Personally, I think I wasted my money. You never know, though; Proactive might actually work for you..but you might want to really think about it before you do.

Proactiv was the WORST thing that ever happend to me! I tried it for the first time years ago, at the time I had very moderate acne and just decided to use it for giggles thinking well it cant hurt.. Was I wrong.. It made me break out severely with cystic acne, something that has never gone away since. It was the worst decision ever. Also, I know tons of ppl who have tried it, and not a ONE has clear skin like in the commercials.. such a scam.

it works well for the first month, then it's nothing but nothing.

It made my acne worse and gave me a bumpy compexion!

i hate proactiv :doubt:

OOOHhh. I agree with the last two posts.

Never try Proactiv !

You'll either be stuck using it your WHOLE life

OR you'll break out after the first few months.

Then your skin will never go back to normal !

It's the benzoyl peroxide, I swear.

Bleaches your skin, dries it out, irritates acne, makes it so no other cleanser will ever work the same for you again, and it SO expensive.

while it seems like a quick, nice fix. it will haunt you for the rest of your life.

ok. I'm being a bit dramatic. haha. But seriously.

Well is it worth buying? Or will it make it worse?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NO! Proactiv is sh*t. When I ordered it I only had mild acne, after I started using it my acne just got worse and worse. Every single person I know who's ever tried it agrees that it made their acne worse; it's just far too irritating.

I had to use it for 9 months before I got results. It just takes time. OF course u don't put a new product on yur face and expect it to work right away!

Hey,

I had the same questions about Proactiv when I was deciding whether or not to get it. Personally, I started seeing results within the first couple weeks, however what people are saying is true, it is quite drying and you need to stay on top of moisturizing if you want to keep your skin looking healthy. I think its worth a try and really its only like 40 bucks if you don't like it, you can just stop using it with no huge loss. You have to remember that a lot of people on this forum are here because they haven't yet found something that works really well for them , just as if u went to a Proactiv forum you would find tons of people that say it's made by Jesus himself. Right now with no cure for acne every solution has its draw backs, while proactive is a little rough and irritating, i found that the regimen made my skin look REALLY shiny, and i had huge over drying problems. So you cant expect miracles from any product at this point in time. Hope it helped out you.

If U put a new producton yur face of course its gonna dry it out. It will go away u have to be patinet.

I have been using for a full week right now and it is doing its job except one part. The products don't for warn against what will happen if you do things wrong. I used the refining mask two days in a row to boost my skin but I am angry now. My face is literally burnt. It smells burnt, feels burnt, and thanks to proactiv they did not tell me this would happen if I use it two days in a row. The back of the bottle says use 2-3 times WEEKLY. So I thought it wont hurt to use it 2 days in a row but oh no. :naughty:

If you call the help line the connection is very bad and it eventually hangs up. They are very good at communicating with their customer's through the facebook fan page, email, etc. When I called a guy hadn't ever heard of being burnt from the refining mask. Out of the hundreds or thousands of users, he has never heard this. Hmm.... The guy told me to not use the mask for 2-3 weeks but didn't tell me how long it will take to have my face back. I am very annoyed but also happy that my acne is getting better. I have been layering on lotion and I have to go put more on because I am still dry feeling.

I will be blogging about my skin review when this is all over with if you wanna read it.....http://web.me.com/lkb4jsd

i used proactive way back in the day around 1997 or so and it worked really good for me for years on my regular acne but didnt do much to stop my cystic acne. after a while it just stopped working. later on tried acnefree which i liked alot and was a lot cheaper than proactive and i liked that i can buy it cvs or target. i now use only olay products with benzaclin. i see so many proactive ads now though. back in the day it was only on infomericals and it was so much more expensive. did i read correctly that they changed the formula or something?

I've been using it for a week now. I had used it about 5-6 years ago, when you had to order it online and they kept sending you a new shipment every 3 months. Now that I can get it from the kiosk at the mall, I don't have to cancel if it doesn't work and I can use it at my own rate. It advertised that it had a new formula, so I thought I'd try it again.

When I used it way back when, it did seem to dry things out. Now, not so much. Maybe they really did change the formula. Other than the 3-step products, the only other thing I tried was the green tea moisturizer, which seems to work well. I haven't tried the refining mask, I recall I tried that once before and it really dried me out.

I've been using Proactive for over 10 years for my mild stress related adult acne. It has been working for me. First few years, I tried the recommended 2 times a day approach, but find it drying out my skin (I have fairly oily skin) and too cumbersome. So eventually I reduced it to 1 time a day morning only. And it has been working effectively to keep my face acne free ever since and still a part of my morning routine today. Another interesting side effect of using the Proactive is the moisturizer. Most men I know don't use facial moisturizer, if it wasn't for proactive, I might not use moisturizer at all. I just turned 40. And women friends of mine commented that I have the skin of a man in his 20s. Quite a complement. :)

Recently I cancelled my membership because I was using the product a lot slower then the delivery frequency. Then I found that you could get 8 Oz large bottle supply from places like Costco. So I will probably be buying the product from off the shelf source from now on.

One thing to note. Some folks complain that Proactive doesn't work for them. My advice is to know your own skins sensitivity to active ingredients such as benzyl peroxide or salicylic acid. My skin tolerates benzyl peroxide much better than salicylic acid. So products like Proactive works much better for me as opposed to certain Neutrogenia, Clearasil, or Murad products. Before trying any of these products full on, it might be better to test it out by reducing amount to make sure there are no adverse reaction.

Good Luck.

I bought proactive once to try and they sent (and charged me for) a 90-day supply and would not refund my money.

Proactive was too drying and irritating for my skin, so needless to say, I don't want anymore supply of it and mostly, I'm very mad at the Rodan & Fields company for being so shady.

Its only BP, and SlycAcid, thats all it comes down to - Its no miricle cure but chances are if it makes your acne "worse" drugstore topicals and prescriptions are going to OWN you because proactive is pretty weak. Id recommend it for people with dryer skin because its very hydrating - horrible for me with my oily skin though haha

^ Wow, that's a first! I always hear about it drying people's skin, heh.

But I suppose it just differs from person to person. Based on my own experience, I don't know if I would recommend it to anyone anyways. It did clear up my acne (still had breakouts, but they weren't as severe), but my skin was always left in a really poor state (dry and rough). I eventually stopped using it when the BP cream made my skin itch...

I also hear Proactiv is geared more toward teens?? Apparently after this age group, it becomes a lot less effective, but I wouldn't know.

Anyways, I just feel like with 50+ bucks you could do better.

Edited by keetner

Let me just say, I'm only here to help anyone that is seeking some kind of hope. Okay FYI I'm 25 and just about cleaned my acne and it really started to grow on me at age 18 so I've put my dues in. I've tried nearly everything. I've read so many websites Search and search. This is the number one thing I found. NOT EVERY PRODUCT WORKS FOR EVERY PERSON!!! Thats what sucks, ACNE SUCKS!!! But Keep trying knew things find what works for you i guess. But I've tried Proactive and let me tell it works so well! I LOVE IT! MY brothers used it back in the day and it never worked it made their acne worst. So ive never tried it until i could stand acne no long and i decided to just try it. Three months later BAM!!! LOOKS GREAT! But FYI i went through the stage where is looks like its getting worst. I wanted to stop so badly. But Guess what NOOOO! Give the product a full chance. Here some help full advice dont get the proactive stuff where u pay like 50 bucks for two months, I just went to wal mart and got thge wally world version for 11 bucks and guess what still works. But get the PROACTIVE Refining Mask. I love the product and i felt it mad a big difference.Good luck ACNE FRIENDS!! Remember, there is nothing you can do about acne, dont let it ruin ur day or life.

I have been using for a full week right now and it is doing its job except one part. The products don't for warn against what will happen if you do things wrong. I used the refining mask two days in a row to boost my skin but I am angry now. My face is literally burnt. It smells burnt, feels burnt, and thanks to proactiv they did not tell me this would happen if I use it two days in a row. The back of the bottle says use 2-3 times WEEKLY. So I thought it wont hurt to use it 2 days in a row but oh no. :naughty:

If you call the help line the connection is very bad and it eventually hangs up. They are very good at communicating with their customer's through the facebook fan page, email, etc. When I called a guy hadn't ever heard of being burnt from the refining mask. Out of the hundreds or thousands of users, he has never heard this. Hmm.... The guy told me to not use the mask for 2-3 weeks but didn't tell me how long it will take to have my face back. I am very annoyed but also happy that my acne is getting better. I have been layering on lotion and I have to go put more on because I am still dry feeling.

I will be blogging about my skin review when this is all over with if you wanna read it.....http://web.me.com/lkb4jsd[/quote

Here is the thing bro, Everyone skin is different. I use the refining mask every day. Some times i leave it on over night. I have no problems at all. You got to get to know your skin. You might have had some kind of warning when you were using it once. I love the Refining MASK

Edited by AcneUsucK

This product does suck & is overrated. It should STOP being on TV NOW. & should STOP saying it clears acne where there are ingreidents in it that cause acne!!!! There are so many bad toxins in Proactive, no wonder why it doesnt clear acne. These people really need to be suied by saying its the best & blah blah blah. Dont buy it. try Pronexin.

I used proactive for two years and though a times it looked like it had worked it really didnt all it did was hide it under my skin which when i pressed down on my skin i could feel what seemed like golf balls and it also causes pre mature ageing at 20 i now have slight wrinkles under my eyes from where proactive has sucked the life out of it its just something celebrities endorse to suck money from you.