Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey everyone. My doctor just prescribed Differin for me a couple of weeks ago, along with these pills (forget what it's called, they're little pinkish capsules). Anyways..I heard that it can make your face worse before it gets better-for as long as 2 months! I used it for a few days and my face looked AWFUL...What should I do? Keep using it or not? I just got some extra strength Proactiv, and that worked wonders for me the few days I used it (it's really cold out here and my skin couldn't handle the cold AND proactiv--got really dry and flaky)...So i was thinking about using Differin in the morning and proactiv and night to help clear it up...What do you guys think? I'd like to hear your experiences with Differin or any advice please...Thanks! smile.gif Kaylee

Differin sucks. I had to use it 2 times a day at night and the morning along with taking 100 mg of minocyline a day. It did nothing but make my red marks worse. rolleyes.gif

Hi Kaylee....I'm on differin too....but the CREAM not the gel, and it's been just over five weeks, and I think my skin is really getting better. As for breaking out, you probably will break out for about the first 4 weeks, thats been my experience, and some other ppl on here's, but after that it gets better. I wouldn't say it made my skin worse, the break-outs I got were the same calibre as before I was on it, so don't stress too much about that. Using it twice a day is definitely too much, just use it at night. As for red marks, thats the first improvement I noticed, it was after about 2-3 weeks, that they started to lighten up. You can check my log in the personal regimen forum, to read about my progress...Anyways I hope that helped.

PS. I think those pink caplets you have are erythromycin, I took them before and didn't find they made any difference, but hey maybe they'll work for you....

You won't see any improvements for at least 12 weeks. My face was red, dry, and irritated for the first month and gradually got better. I've been on it since August and I haven't had a pimple for 2 months now. It even acts like a permanent exfoliator so your face sheds the dead skin. One more thing - Differin only prevents acne, it does not treat current acne on the face. Don't think by slopping lots on a pimple it will clear it. If you are willing to wait some time for a clear face then stick with it.

Im on my second week of differin now. I can definently tell that it is going to take some time to work completely because it seems like it is bringing all of the pimples up to the surface. I am getting more breakouts than normal, but they are all usually small and go away within a few days. I use differin at night and in the morning i wipe with Triaz 3% pads. I really hope that this regimen works for me, and hopefully in less than 12 weeks!!

I've been on differin for 6 months now and well, it wasnt till 4 months that I started seeing some noticeable clearing. Now aftrer 6 months I've seen even more clearing, my forehead has had constant acne for 8 months is now clear of active acne, just red marks to worry about now! I still get acne around my nose though which is annoying me. My best bit of advice is stick with it for a long time. I'f I'd have given up after even 4 months I would have missed out on a hell of a lot of clearing up

I love Differin gel! It definitely helps any pimples I have to clear up quicker.

Differin will make your skin a bit worse in the beginning as it brings out all the impurities which is really good, and with continual use you should be free of blackheads (or almost all clear). It didn't really make my skin worse at all when I started using it, my dermatologist said it would bring everything out, but it was fine(if I can remember maybe just a couple little whiteheads), and after a week great improvement, I used to get little pimples on my forehead every month just before my period but with differin my forehead is permanently clear. It doesnt prevent pimples forming on my chin though but they dont progress into huge bumps thanks to it. Oh and I only apply it at night, another thing my dermatologist told me was not to apply moisturiser at night which I did stop doing and after a few days my skin did regulate itself and I realised I didnt need to apply moisturiser at night.

I took doxycyl when I started using Differin and it worked like a bomb, I was totally clear, like 1 small bump once a month, I was so happy, at last! Unfortunately after 1 year it lost its effectivness coz of prolonged use, but still using the Differin gel at night and it helps quite a bit. biggrin.gif

differin really really really really did not work for me. when i was on it i had like 3 pimples on each cheek but then i got like 15 pimples on each cheek and now i'm on benzaclin which is really working

it made my life miserable and brought my confidence way way wya down. people complain that it burned their skin but for me i felt nothing is that wierd?

Hey KayKay....just wondering about your progress. Also I just want to tell you not to be discouraged for the first few weeks. I cleared up the first week, and then broke out for the next 3....anyways I'm in my 6th week now and am 99.9% clear!!!(except for a few dark spots) I would also encourage you to try some sort of antibacterial agent in the morning (to get irid of bacteria and active pimples) That was the final step I needed. I'm not a fan of BP, b/c of it's other effects, so I use tea tree oil in the morning and it's working great....Just thought I'd share, you can check my regimen in the Personal Regimens Forum.... Good luck!!

I am on 15 days of differin, and I just started using these Triaz wipes in the morning, and I am not doing very good. My face is breaking out a lot, and I have a bunch of little pimples all over my cheeks. It is really depressing, mostly due to the fact that I just got a girlfriend cry.gif I think I am going to go back to the derm tomorrow and see what she thinks. I wish I could just have clear skin, life would be so much better.

I broke out really badly the first three or so weeks of using Differin. But because I read on this website that it takes as long as a couple of months for Differin to really start working, I stuck with it. First thing I noticed was that it was bringing out these really annoying white bumps that I'd had on my cheekbones for YEARS. Now they're gone, although they've been replaced by redmarks but I can survive that.

While my skin isn't perfect -- I still have tons of blackheads on my nose and plenty on my chin -- I don't get huge red pimples on my cheeks anymore. I get little whiteheads, if any at all. I have noticed a huge difference on Differin; but it works differently for each individual. Good luck with it!