Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My derm told to use sunscreen while on accutane. Actually all derms used to tell me that for all acne medicines including antibiotics, and I like a fool have ignored all that. But by now, I am sure that was a mistake and want to make sure I protect my red marks from sunlight while on tane.

Anyway I try to use sunblock everytime I am out and then wash it off as soon as I get inside. That is just to prevent any possible breakouts from the sunscreen by leaving it on only for short periods of time.

But I had a couple of questions based on my understanding of the sunlight effect on skin which is shaky , please answer if you know about this stuff

1. The sunlight in non-bright days (cloudy days etc) does not have UVB but still has UVA. UVB is the type that is harmful for red/brown marks from previous acne while UVA is not. UVA hinders collagen but does not directly worsen red marks.

So if due to some reason I forget to put sunscreen on during non-sunny days, it is OK. Is that right?

2. The sunlight in bright days has both UVA and UVB. So it is abosultely a must to use sunscreen to prevent the UVB worsening of red/brown red marks from old acne. Is that right?

Please let me know if I am doing something wroing. I am not one of those lucky ones whose red marks improve from sun, mine actually worsens. So I need to make sure I am doing the right thing.

Thanks for your help.

unlucky- all my dermies have convinced me that sunblock is necessary everyday- regardless of the weather. There's always rays even when its cloudy. I have always used a sunblock made specifically not to clog pores. I use Oil of Olay complete daily. During the summer I use Hawaiian Tropic Oil Free Faces -SPF 30. Neither of these have broken me out. I just started accutane last week so we'll se if the oil of olay is moisturizing enough. I like cetaphil lotion but their sunblock is not as good. Good luck with your course!!

Guest Craigems

I have been sunburnt bad 3 times on Accutane lol. i am no real help! but... what i can say is my red marks are gone! and it hasnt really affected the outter appearance of my body cept more tanned look. Problem is i dont know how much damage i have caused under the skin which is the sad part. But both time were purely un-intentional .. and its hard when i live in a climate based on heat ... even when you use sunscreen it does go quickly and if you forget to reapply your a gonna!

I have to say my complexion is good... my derm told me morning and afternoon sunlight is okay it will help get rid of the marks, he said only short periods tho, and try to avoid the direct mid-day sun. I can 100% say i did not do this lol. but i am trying to be good now smile.gif

Guest Craigems

However i am on a low dose of accutane. 20mg/day, so i might be less prone than you guys on higher dosages.

The most important thing is avoiding direct sunlight for prolonged periods. 5 to 10 minutes is not going to be problem. More than 20 is. The best way to block sunlight in my opinion is to avoid direct contact with it. I rarely use sunblock on my face as I feel it causes more breakouts, but when I am going to be in the sun for longer than 10 minutes I will wear a hat. When I golf I wear a full-brimmed hat and throw a lot of sunscreen on my arms and legs. I havent been burned yet and this is while on Accutane.

I think it also depends on your skin type and previous exposure to the sun. Can see from his pic that Craig is quite dark and probably has had lots of sun exposure in the past. I'm a typical celtic blond so burn like buggery! I'm going skiing in a couple of weeks....we'll see what horrors that produces hehe.

Thanks for the replies.

Andrewb, you are right. There is a risk of breakout with sunscreen but I hope it is worth the risk if your red marks improve a lot.

I use coppertone sunblock, which is benzone based . I like it so far cas unlike the zinc oxide based ones where you have to apply it for 20 minutes before going out, which sounds stupid, this one you can just dab on before you get out of the door and wash out as soon as you get inside a building or someting and do the same on the way back...

I remember being in the sun for a few hours. Boy could i feel my face burning....

Anyway why don't you try to use one which is oil free and paba free? Shouldn't cause any breakouts then.

I remember being in the sun for a few hours. Boy could i feel my face burning....

Anyway why don't you try to use one which is oil free and paba free? Shouldn't cause any breakouts then.

Yaa this one (coppertone shade sunblock spf 45) is all that , paba free, non comedogenic but not oil free. I have 2 others that are oil free but are zinc based so you have to apply it about 30 minutes before going out else it will not have effect, sort of stuff.

The oil that this coppetone one has is jajoba oil and everyone sings its praises so I feel it would be ok, but who knows...

How is that suncreen with regards to blending in and absorbing into the screen? The biggest problem i have is that the white sunscreen mixes in with the dead skin peeling off my face and makes it look like crap and stand out even more. I have yet to find a sunscreen that doesnt have this problem. Is the coppertone white in color or clear?

Thanks for the reply. I think the problem is that I was using the zinc-oxide and titanium dioxide based sunblocks. I will give that Coppertone shade 45 a try.

I'm just back from a week's skiing.....I used Ambre Solaire factor 60 "for the sun intolerant skin". No problems either with burning or breakouts....unperfumed and pretty easily absorbed. Would certainly recommend.