Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scuba Diver

Getting depressed and discouraged!!!

Hello to everyone on the board here. I am a new member, and have joined to talk to someone who could understand what I am going through. I am getting depressed over the fact that I am 23, just turned 23 in fact, and I still have acne. I have had them since I was 13. That is 10 years. And they used to be pretty bad around the age of 15, and have not been since, but I still would say I have mild to moderate acne, depending on the day.

I don't want anyone here to think I am shallow, but it really is starting to bother me that I have acne. I don't let it get in the way of things, but that was all fine and nice since I kept thinking that I was going to be rid of them. I really hope this is one of those prolonged puberty things. But I would love to wake up and not rush to the bathroom to see if I have any new pimples and how my existing ones look. I am a fairly handsome guy other than for my acne, and I have been working out for quite a few years. I like to look nice, though I never dress up, but always dress sporty, because I believe in comfort over looks. I just wish I had a clear face to go with it.

I just don't know what I am going to have to do to get rid of these little devils. I am hoping that they go away on their own soon, but I doubt it. I have tried a few things to get rid of them, but none worked. The regimen on this website worked a bit, but my skin was too sensitive for BP. I sleep 9 hours a night, I play sports and work out, drink plenty of water, eat correctly and still they are here........hehhehehe. What is a man to do.

I feel like now acne are getting in the way of the things I want to do in my life, because they are on my mind constantly. Constantly. I do hope I don't come of vain, because I think I am not, but I really can't stand acne. Well, just needed to vent. By the way, once again, a big hello to everyone on the site, since this is my first time here. Hope we can help each other get over this little problem.

Don't be daft - no-one thinks you're vain for wanting clear skin.

I'm 27 and I'm clear now but only because of the Regimen. I only ever suffered from very mild acne but it was very persistant and very demoralising - so we all understand! As I am 27 - I can of course tell you the bad new - there is no guarantee that your acne will fade at a certain age and as you really know at 23 it is not likely connected to puberty. Sorry.

My suggestions

- get back on the regimen and stick with it if you can - be prepared to weather 4 weeks of red and dry skin (I have very sensitive and reactive skin and I got used to it)

- ditch all other medicated products

- stick to gentle fragrance free cleansers, moisturisers, and sunblocks

- once you have a routine stick with it for a few months before you throw in the towel.

good luck

Hey Frances,

Well the problem is that I really don't think that my skin likes BP. I have tried it for a long time but it just doesn't work for me. Plus since I work as a swimming instructor and a scuba diving instructor, it gets washed away soon, and I can't reapply it all the time. What about this B5 thing. Is that worth a shot.

Yes, well you would have a problem with BP and any topical if it doesn't stay on your skin.

I'm sceptical about B5 - I have never used it - it is vitamin b obviously...but in a whopping great dose far in excess of your RDI which makes it like a medicine and not a supplement in my books. Personally I wouldn't take it until it had been cleared by a major health body like the FDA. But who cares what I think...search the site about it there have been plenty of posts and are plenty of advocates.

Other suggestions for you - accutane, antibiotics

The chlorine in your pool is probably not doing you any favours.

Hey there, Scuba Diver!

I totally know where you are coming from... I am a 29 year old woman who has been suffering with cystic acne for YEARS! :cry: I hate the way that I have become obssessed with my skin and the way I look! I tend to not be a vain person but ever since my skin has been bad I think about it all the time and find myself looking at other peoples skin in envy! I have a great hubby who thinks I am beautiful anyway, and 2 kids who I think I am the best mum, but I still hate my skin. Now its getting clearer (due to the regimen) I still have bad scars which I have to wear makeup to cover ... and I hate having to put it on each day before I can go anywhere... even to take the kids to school. Even my kids point out the scars on my face! :lol:

SO, all that to say that I know how you feel... acne is a disease, it's not just like grey hair that you want rid of due to vanity reasons, so don't feel that you should feel wrong in wanting to change it. BUT BUT BUT, REAL beauty is WITHIN! REALLY. I am sure you still look fine, and you know what.. I think the people who notice acne the most are those who have it! Most people look at me and don't seem to notice it! I think we have more problems with it ourselves!

I hope you find something that will work and fit in with your swimming etc. Email Dan, he's really helpful. And HEY, remember try not to get stressed or worried about your skin as I think that really affects it, and also remember WE are not alone! Stay encouraged! :lol:

It's tough to hear that the regimen doesn't work for someone because I don't have any better suggestions. The regimen is the ONLY thing besides accutane that ever worked for me.

So let's make sure you really can't use the regimen before we look for other options.

1. What % bp did you use?

2. How long were you on the regimen?

3. Did you moisturize daily? Or even twice daily?

4. Can you do the regimen after swimming? Are you in the water all day long? If so, is this job more important than achieving clear skin?

Please respond.

-Dan

Hey Dan,

Well I used 2.5 % BP and it worked pretty good, but my face was very red because of it. And I know my skin won't get used to it, because I have been trying it for about a year now. I moisturized in the morning and in the evening, both time I would put on BP. I don't even do in water stuff anymore, because I think the pool water was not good for my skin, so I teach scuba diving and lifeguard, but do not teach kids how to swim. But I hate making concessions like this, because I feel like acne are getting the better of me. I like to be able to do all that I would do if I didn't have them.

As far as accutane, I really won't ever use it, because of all the side effects. I am very health concious, so I don't want to hurt my body in any way. Though sometimes I think, what the hell, I would do anything to have clear skin, but I never end up doing it after I think about it. Plus I should let you guys know that my acne isn't that bad these days, its just that I am getting tired of it. Maybe mild to moderate, and I know that Accutane is meant only for serious cases.

I am trying to get rid of my acne mby meditation and self-healing right now. I am trying to imagine all of my cells killing the bacteria. I know you will find this silly, but I never. EVER get sick, and if I feel like I am coming down with a cold, I just do the same thing and I don't get it, even when everyone around me is sick. So I believe I can get rid of my acne this way too. I have been putting off trying it for too long. I will let you guys know how it is turning out. So far, since I have been doing it, 3 days now, I only got one pimple on my face and that is it. I think as I get better, this will change to 0. Hopefully........hehhehe. Well thanks for all the support guys.

I went to see a dermatologist once, but he gave me this medication that I had to apply topically. I had to mix color in with it to make it my skin color. I didn't even apply it once. It was too much of a hassle. I don't really see what a dermatologist could do for me, since they can't help so many other people. If this was something that I knoew that they could help me with I would go, but I know that all they can do is make it better, not cure it, and a cure is what I am looking for.