Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mor

Skin Culture Peels

has any1 tried any of the products of www.skinculture.com?

I was considering trying it out but it is quite expensive. Plus it says that the active ingrediants that it uses are Resorcinol and Phenol. Phenol kinda makes me nervous because ive heard a lot of horror stories about it. I dont wanna turn pure white and end up looking like Micheal Jackson. PLEASE NO LOL:P

Save your money - pretty much everything on their website is over hyped - I tried a 4000 peel of theirs and had the worst experience.

Hi Maya,

What was so terrible about the peel?

Do you think that this type of peel might be good for spot treating pits, kinda like the spot TCA/cross method?

What percentage of acid was in your peel?

Freedom - I don't know the % - but it was a strong peel - but the downtime is crazy! I had to wait around 8 days b4 it started to peel (and in that time - your face looks like a shrivelled prune - no way you can be seen by the public) - and it left my skin very raw, and there was no improvement to scars or acne!! I don't think it would have the same affect as a high % TCA for icepicks.

I spoke with Julie (my needling therapist) and she said that she thought that a strong Kojic with Lactic mix could possibly work in a similar way to TCA for icepicks - I may try this in the future.

Thanks Maya for your opinion I appriciate it.

Did the needle therapist say what strengths of lactic and kojic she would recommend? Why kojic; I thought that was for discoloration? And lactic seems too week.

I was thinking a very strong salicylic acid; maybe 70% Seems like it would be strong enough to irritate/wound the pit yet safer than TCA which is known not to penetrate the skin as evenly as other acids.

Freedom - not sure about it all, but salicylic acid is better for treating acne than scarring from my experience. No, she didn't mention the strenghts for the lactic and Kojic mix, but I am seeing her tomorrow and I will try to remeber to ask her.

Thanks! I will look forward to her reply! Could you also inquire why she suggests those particular acids?

Yes, I will ask her - I am going to write a note to remind myself to ask - will post tomorrow :cry:

Freedom

I Saw Julie today and asked her. She said that Kojic was very good for discolouration and Lactic is very good for collagen growth - she would mix at 70% and use for up to 5 minutes on each pit. Also, she said that lactic/any acid peels could be different strengths depending on on the PH levels (and not the %) - I think that's why some people have got burned with 50% glycolic and others haven't - it must be that the PH levels are different.

Yes the pH seems to be the most tricky part. Thanks so much for asking her for me! Do you know how to tell what the pH an acid? :D:D:)

Freedom - apparently you can buy some paper from a pharmacist and test stuff out by dipping the paper in it.... but I don't know if a higher or lower PH is more effective.

I remeber in Chemistry classes many years ago... I think it was called litmus paper.

I believe that the lower the ph the more active the acid.

I have some of the paper but the increments are too large.

Freedom, I think you are right - I remember Julie saying that the lower the PH, the stronger... took you to jog my memory

When I told Julie that I had been doing lactic peels at 50%, the first thing she asked me was 'What PH is it?' Of course, I have no idea... maybe I will send homepeels an email and ask them.

I would be curious also to know the pH of the lactic peels. I am thinking about trying them. Can you tell me if they helped with any more shallow scars?

With very shallow - yes, anything that is an obvious indent - not. But they help with discolouration and make your skin feel smooth.

Maya, what kind of scars do you have? Indents or red and dark spots?

Cause I have dark spots, red spots and some hyperpigmentation. Do you think this culture peel would help me?

Thanks

I have mainly indents/pits/picks

if you have dark spots/red spots etc.. you are better off with lactic peels