Notifications
Clear all

waxing and accutane

MemberMember
(@banana)

Posted : 01/22/2005 10:11 pm

hey ths my first time to ost on this particular board cause anyway, i only started taking up accutane bout five weeks ago.

the thing is my derm put me on a relatively low dose, 20 mg for my 110 lb self. (but im supposed to take that for 10 months). my first few weeks were ok, i noticed a decrease in my face's oiliness already.

anyway since i was still new on accutane, i decided it wouldnt hurt much if i wax my upper lip hair. i thought my skin wasn't dry enough yet so i can still probabaly get away with waxing. so i did and i ended up with this HUGE wound on my upper lip. it started scabbing the day after waxing and i had this dark red scab that made me look like a girl with a mustache. well anyway, since i waxed, i stopped taking accutance cause im afraid it might delay healing or something. the scabs came of after 5 days and left this brownish marks that almost look like they're gonna peel but hasn't yet. should i resume accutane now? do you think these brown marks will ever go away? cry.gif

MemberMember
(@marox)

Posted : 01/23/2005 12:44 am

Id talk to your derm about it.

MemberMember
(@questionmark)

Posted : 01/23/2005 8:14 pm

They will go away. It'll take a lot longer if you're on the tane. I would wait until they fade (probably take 2 or 3 days) then resume.

MemberMember
(@blue_eyez)

Posted : 01/24/2005 8:30 pm

Banana: didn't you get a booklet before starting Accutane? I got one and it said do not wax, exfoliate or do micro-dermabrasion while on Accutane b/c it can cause permanent scarring. confused.gif

MemberMember
(@unluckyguy)

Posted : 01/24/2005 9:02 pm

banana, blueeyes is right, you did a bad mistake by not reading the accutane guide properly.

Anyway now that it is done , do not worry, the mark will fade. You can apply some fade creams or something, but do read the guide and make sure you know what you can and cannot to do on tane...

MemberMember
(@turnergirl)

Posted : 01/24/2005 9:09 pm

i have waxed on accutane and it was just normal (am on 60mg) the marks you are describing sound like wax burns rather than anything else i would go to a salon if i were u next time u want try it.

kat

MemberMember
(@msdominatus)

Posted : 01/24/2005 10:01 pm

i'd rather not take the chance of waxing while on tane. Who wants permanent eyebrow scars/lip scars - its not worth it when I can just tweeze for awhile.

MemberMember
(@evan)

Posted : 01/24/2005 10:26 pm

Okay first of all, we have to get one thing straight. Stopping accutane after you hurt yourself will only hurt yourself more. Let it heal, it will, it'll just take a long time. Accutane is in your system for weeks after you stop taking it so stoping now isnt going to do anything to help it heal faster. The only thing that you might do is help ur body become more immune to accutane which isnt a good thing if u want to take it again.

MemberMember
(@banana)

Posted : 01/25/2005 6:28 am

permanent? this thing is permanent? noooo!!!! well its been a week and two days now since i did the waxing. four days since the ugly red scabs came off, and the unsightly beown marks are still here. i might go to my derm to ask for some fading creams or something. god, god, please dont let this thing be permanent.

i did read the accutane booklet. its just that i didnt really think it would do that much harm since ive only been on accutane for four weeks. for that i am suffering the consequences of my false assumptions. eusa_wall.gif i have resumed taking tane, by the way. that thing that evan said about the possibility of being immune to accutane, i think, is a scarier possibility shock.gif thanks for replying guys smile.gif

MemberMember
(@vandelay37)

Posted : 06/24/2009 3:51 pm

I realize this topic is 4 years old, but I thought I'd share my experience in case it helps anyone in the future. I am taking a topical retinoid for melasma, but it apparently has the same effects as Accutane and other topical acne medication when it comes to waxing. I found this out the hard way after waxing my upper lip last night. Doh!

I now have red, blotchy patches on my upper lip where my skin used to be. I applied aloe, but it stung, so I switched to Neosporin while I waited to talk to my dermatologist. Her nurse just returned my call and said Neosporin can sometimes cause a reaction, so it's best to use 1% hydrocortisone cream, which is available OTC. She said if it wasn't better in 5 days to call them back.

Hopefully it'll be better by then!

MemberMember
(@accgirl)

Posted : 08/22/2009 11:55 am

hi vandelay37 i just had the same reaction today...is it getting better with the hydrocortisone? is there a scar?

MemberMember
(@charlestonsc)

Posted : 12/16/2010 1:53 pm

Same thing happened to me. I figured out that if you get waxed (at the salon) with the creamy wax, then have your stylist apply vaseline immediately after to the waxed area, no scabs or damage will occur. ITS A MIRACLE! Hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@nnr)

Posted : 12/25/2010 7:08 am

Hey I got some skin pulled of from waxing the skin is really dark! I'm not on accutane just on birth control but my cheek was healing from a massive disaster offs breakout, what can I do to heal it and get my skin normal how long will it take and what should I expect?

Please and thanks I really need help!

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 12/25/2010 1:25 pm

Hey I got some skin pulled of from waxing the skin is really dark! I'm not on accutane just on birth control but my cheek was healing from a massive disaster offs breakout, what can I do to heal it and get my skin normal how long will it take and what should I expect?

Please and thanks I really need help!

Response to PM: Just apply polysporin or petroleum jelly for a few days, treat it gently (no scrubbing, no meds, no nothing but a gentle cleanser) and you should be just fine within a week or so. Can't predict how long it will take as everyone's different but don't freak as it's not permanent. :)

MemberMember
(@nnr)

Posted : 12/26/2010 8:01 am

Thanks wynne your honestly a life saver! I actually have been doing that using pHisohex to wash and putting polysporin with some vitamin e. Majority of the black skin/scab came

Off and it's pinkish. I anticipate it will take a couple more days for my skin to regenerate to it's color but I'm mostly happy that there's no dark marks underneath and that the dark skin was not permanent! I'll keep everyone posted on what happens within the next few days just so I can help any one else out with a similar or the same problem!

MemberMember
(@11aamz)

Posted : 06/25/2011 7:18 pm

I waxed once on accutane and parts of my skin came off!

So then I used hair removal creams as a substitute to waxing on my arms whilst on accutane and I almost died!

It burned and made my arms really really red! They were blotchy and had scratches and holes in my skin! I couldnt sleep and called up the doctor who told me to take an anti inflammatory and not use chemicals on my skin such as hair removal cream!

MemberMember
(@amieagain)

Posted : 06/25/2011 9:01 pm

i did threading instead.

MemberMember
(@angiesangel)

Posted : 07/04/2011 11:17 am

Hi

I realise this post is a bit old but i have seen recently some people reply so i thought id share my story.

I have been on accutane for 6 months and on my second month it seems i did what most girls do and waxed my eyebrow and upper lip and what a mistake it was. My skin was completely burnt on my lip and eyebrow and bright red and raw. I went straight to a chemist and told them the situation and got burn cream to put on and was told by the chemist i would be scarred for life.

The next day i went to my doctor who also prescribed me a different burn cream but told me i would not scar which i didnt but i constantly had the cream on 24/7. I continued to take accutance the whole time through the burn at the advice of my doctor.

6 months in and my skin has cleared amazingly to all the girls its worth it not to wax the results are great.

goodluck :)

MemberMember
(@orchidsummer47)

Posted : 09/24/2011 9:52 am

Thank You to everyone who posted here... I just started accutane (this is my 4th day) and I will definitely NOT be getting my eyebrows waxed while on accutane. You all have scared me away from it lol ! Thank you so much for the warnings!!

MemberMember
(@bekahwitten)

Posted : 07/09/2012 11:49 pm

This is very, very old, obviously. But I found it in my desperation after (stupidly) getting my eyebrows and lip waxed. The pain was hideous, and so was my face! My twin nieces were just born, however, and so the house is filled with baby crap. My sister suggest "butt paste" that we use for the girls' diaper sores and things. I applied the paste on the affected area that didn't sting too horribly. The next morning my lip felt ten times better. It was still very red and dry, though, so don't expect that to go away all too quick, but after about three days or so I was perfectly normal. Hope my mistake can help someone in the future. :)

MemberMember
(@tasha-quinn)

Posted : 04/29/2013 4:01 pm

OH GOD I am in agony atm I waxed my eyebrows yesterday without thinking and they're BRIGHT RED its so sore and stinging please do not wax while on this medication! It literally peeled back my skin absolute nightmare. Using a burn cream as well as e45 moisturising face wash which helps it out a bit though.

MemberMember
(@strawsandmusic)

Posted : 06/21/2013 4:19 am

Hey i know this topic has been a while but i also found it out of slight desperation.

I have been on accutane for 4 months and im taking the 30mg. I waxed yesterday morning and the wax was abit hott. Anyway it left a mark and today i woke up and my upper lip had this dark red dry mark on it, i tried using pure aloe vera gel on it but it made it darker i think. Now im using this cream called Biafine but im afraid it wont work. I have camp in a 3 days and i would give anything to have it go by then.

Any suggestions anyone?