Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gingeebread :)

dryness! it just won't go away :(

Okay, I'm starting to freak out.

Alright, I've been on the regimen for over a year now with beautiful results. biggrin.gif

I began with neutrogena on-the-spot. About 4 months ago, I switched to Dan's gel. I love this stuff!! It's amazing, the texture, everything. Goes on smooth, doesn't leave me white, doesn't take forever to apply - the list goes on! On top of which it has made me even clearer eusa_dance.gif

But here's the thing. Dryness!! cry.gif I had posted this topic http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...topic=39478&hl=

I got tons of useful advice about what to do to get rid of the dryness/flakes. And for a while there, my skin was starting to get back to normal.

I use Cetaphil cleanser, it's very soft and I apply it gently and then rinse off. Takes me just a few seconds to do. I'm using Eucerin renewal, it works great with the gel. All that is fine and dandy....BUT i still have severe dryness and flakes confused.gifsad.gif I'm not sure what could be going wrong. I'm a long time regimen user, and this has never been a problem for me eusa_wall.gif

I am now using almost 20 pumps of moisturizer, twice a day.

I was remaining clear with a finger full of Dan's gel. But since this awful dryness, I cut down to using half a finger. And still, the dryness continued!! sad.gif So I've now resorted to using BP only once a day, which I've never had to do...and it sucks massively because now I'm starting to get new pimples!!! shock.gifcry.gif Are these breakouts due to my skin being too dry? Or due to using the BP only once a day now?? I just don't know anymore!

Okay, now that you've survived my sob story....my question is this, and it's for those of you who:

1- have gotten used to using huge amounts of BP

2- have been on the regimen for a long while

3- have switched to Dan's gel

When you switched to the BP gel, did you suddenly get severely dry??

I'm just trying to figure out if it's the bp gel doing this to me. I can't attribute it to anything else eusa_think.gif

help! sad.gif what should i do??

hey, ive only been using dans BP gel for 12 days now, but i have been getting much more sever drying. the thing was, however, the first couple days of using the gel i didnt experience any bad drying, and then probably the 3rd or 4th day i woke up with terribly flaky skin. since then ive been using a lot more moisturizer, but ive still been very dry, mostly around my eyes. i was hoping that this would eventually fade away as my skin would get more used to the gel, but i guess since youve been having this for a while, it wont.

i really dont know what to do, but at least im much more clear.

maybe dan has some suggestioons?

thanks for replying jersey hun! eusa_angel.gif

yeah, it's becoming a real problem for me. It's so freakin embarrassing, all these blasted flakes and dry skin redface.gif

I'm still clear too, tho. So it could be worse....actually it's getting to the worst point now that i appear to be breaking out!! *sob!* cry.gif

Dan!!! eusa_boohoo.gif someone?

Could it be my precious BP gel causing this?? sad.gif

Oh, hey! is the cetaphil moisturizer any good for extreme flakes? eusa_wall.gif blah

I have been using the bp gel as soon as it became available. During the summer, I had absolutely no dryness or flaking. Now that the winter is here, I am feeling your pain! I use a very very very small amount on my chin area (only place that breaks out). I too use cetaphil as a face wash. I am very gentle with my skin, because with the flakes, I had the overwhelming desire to rub them off with a sock (sounds weird, but it worked), but I was left with a red, irritated face. So I am very gentle but very dry like you. I know it is partly the dry weather, but I also wonder if it is that I am now getting older and my skin is drying out. I have read about using jojoba oil, and it gets rid of all flakes with no irritation, but as soon as I wash my face, I am dry once again. The worst part is that I am so freakin' itchy. I just started using jojoba oil and hope that the dryness will go away. But it may not until winter is over. I had thought about stopping for a day, but if I do, I am guaranteed to break out. I would rather have dry skin (that can be temporarily covered up by the jojoba oil) than have red pimples on my pale skin! hth!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been on the regimen & doxycycline and am 99% clear now. My skin did get pretty dry in the beginning but once I stayed consistent with washing, BP, Eucerin moisturizer (don't use neutrogena healthy skin) for about a month I got and stayed clear with no irritation.

Hope this helps!

Okay, I'm starting to freak out.

Alright, I've been on the regimen for over a year now with beautiful results.  biggrin.gif

I began with neutrogena on-the-spot.  About 4 months ago, I switched to Dan's gel.  I love this stuff!!  It's amazing, the texture, everything.  Goes on smooth, doesn't leave me white, doesn't take forever to apply - the list goes on! On top of which it has made me even clearer  eusa_dance.gif

But here's the thing.  Dryness!! cry.gif I had posted this topic http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...topic=39478&hl=

I got tons of useful advice about what to do to get rid of the dryness/flakes.  And for a while there, my skin was starting to get back to normal. 

I use Cetaphil cleanser, it's very soft and I apply it gently and then rinse off.  Takes me just a few seconds to do.  I'm using Eucerin renewal, it works great with the gel.  All that is fine and dandy....BUT i still have severe dryness and flakes  confused.gif  sad.gif I'm not sure what could be going wrong.  I'm a long time regimen user, and this has never been a problem for me  eusa_wall.gif

I am now using almost 20 pumps of moisturizer, twice a day.

I was remaining clear with a finger full of Dan's gel.  But since this awful dryness, I cut down to using half a finger.  And still, the dryness continued!!  sad.gif So I've now resorted to using BP only once a day, which I've never had to do...and it sucks massively because now I'm starting to get new pimples!!!  shock.gif  cry.gif Are these breakouts due to my skin being too dry?  Or due to using the BP only once a day now??  I just don't know anymore!

Okay, now that you've survived my sob story....my question is this, and it's for those of you who:

1- have gotten used to using huge amounts of BP

2- have been on the regimen for a long while

3- have switched to Dan's gel

When you switched to the BP gel, did you suddenly get severely dry??

I'm just trying to figure out if it's the bp gel doing this to me.  I can't attribute it to anything else  eusa_think.gif

help!  sad.gif  what should i do??

egh i hate this flaking business. Its like a balance between acne and dryness, what to chose? clear flaking skin or smooth spotty skin? Same question applies with shaving: shave and eliminate some acne but show the rest off or cover up by growing it and experience heavy beardline acne, and im only 16!

With flakiness i generally reduce the amount of bp, however, i discovered last week that a body moisturizer works wonders. Well of course its not meant for the face but it works- i wonder if it causes much acne in the long term and if its worth it or not.

thanks so much, i really appreciate all the replies

well, i have decided to go back to using the bp twice a day. I guess I'll have to try to deal with the dryness somehow doubt.gif I can't stand that once I cut back on the bp, i have broken out mad.gif

I was just curious as to what's the culprit of this sudden severe dryness eusa_think.gif But even if it is the BP gel, it's the only thing that keeps me clear

you said it Wotalotaspot: what to chose?? eusa_wall.gif

thanks again all !! you rock wub.gif

All these replies are intresting but not what I wanted to here sad.gif . I have been on the regimen for two years now, and Im clear also, but my face is sooooooooooooooooooooo

DRY! Even if I stop the regimen for a few days I am still left with all the flakes, just more pimples! I would love to here a reply from Dan! Becuase it is sooo embarassing and frustrating! I cant go to school as much no more because I smile alot when I talk to people, and smiling = cracking face! I also use Cetaphil cleanser and dans gel and Eucerin mouisturizer, but after 5 min of putting it on flakes start popping up again! Well hopfully Dan replies to this message.

Oh! One more thing, I do have a way of getting rid of flakes, but it is risky!

I take a hot shower let steam penetrate the pores and let a little bit of water get on your face,, to make the flakes soggy and soft. and get out of the shower and pat your face a few times with a towel, but dont dry your face completely! This put friction between your hands and your face, and just rub all the fakes off, it takes me about 3-5 min, your face will be a little red after, and there is a 50% chance you will wake up with zits the next day, but you will be flake free! When I did it, sometimes I hade like 2-3 small zits the next day, sometimes none, it all depends on how bad your acne is, mine is not severe, but not light also!

well, i have decided to go back to using the bp twice a day.  I guess I'll have to try to deal with the dryness somehow  doubt.gif I can't stand that once I cut back on the bp, i have broken out  mad.gif

I was just curious as to what's the culprit of this sudden severe dryness  eusa_think.gif But even if it is the BP gel, it's the only thing that keeps me clear

thanks again all !!  you rock  wub.gif

I'm using Dan's gel. confused.gif I'm not sure what's up anymore eusa_wall.gif Die flakes, dammit! I'd love to continue using the gel, continue being clear....but demolish the flakes and dryness Is this too much to ask for?? *waaaah!* eusa_boohoo.gif

All these replies are intresting but not what I wanted to here sad.gif .  I have been on the regimen for two years now, and Im clear also, but my face is sooooooooooooooooooooo

DRY! Even if I stop the regimen for a few days I am still left with all the flakes, just more pimples! I would love to here a reply from Dan! Becuase it is sooo embarassing and frustrating! I cant go to school as much no more because I smile alot when I talk to people, and smiling = cracking face! I also use Cetaphil cleanser and dans gel and Eucerin mouisturizer, but after 5 min of putting it on flakes start popping up again! Well hopfully Dan replies to this message.

I'm using Dan's gel.  confused.gif I'm not sure what's up anymore  eusa_wall.gif Die flakes, dammit!  I'd love to continue using the gel, continue being clear....but demolish the flakes and dryness  Is this too much to ask for?? *waaaah!* eusa_boohoo.gif

did you start getting dry only after using the BP gel Chachi?  eusa_think.gif

yes, i'd like to know if dan has any advice  eusa_pray.gif

No, I mean Dan's BP gel http://www.acnesupplies.com/ Did you notice that you started getting drier after using his gel? Or are you not using his gel?

I'm just trying to narrow down what had made me so friggen fraggen DRY!! *sobs*

The only thing I've changed is switching to his gel eusa_think.gif Or maybe it is just the winter weather confused.gif

piece of poo. I think I'll be shedding like a reptile for the rest of my life eusa_snooty.gif

No, I mean Dan's BP gel http://www.acnesupplies.com/  Did you notice that you started getting drier after using his gel?  Or are you not using his gel?

The only thing I've changed is switching to his gel  eusa_think.gif Or maybe it is just the winter weather  confused.gif

piece of poo.  I think I'll be shedding like a reptile for the rest of my life  eusa_snooty.gif

The worst part is that although the jojoba oil does a really decent job of covering the flakies, my chin has been itchy lately. Especially where it is really dry. I want to itch it off!!!!!!!! sad.gif It is driving me nuts.

Does anyone else notice that the winter months just makes your skin so dry? I feel like an itchy flaking body!

I did notice that only washing at night with Cetaphil and just splashing with water ever so gently in the morning cause less dryness. Gentleness is key here. I have tried rubbing them off with my fingers when they are soft, but my skin becomes very irritated and not worth the redness and pimples that can form.

I am too dealing with this flakes, and hoping that being gentle, using the barest amount of bp, and jojoba oil will make this eventually go away. I can 't get away from the winter weather, but I will try the above and drink lots of water.

Try jojoba oil, it is some really awesome stuff. And it is supposedly non- comedogenic (sp?). If I come up with something else I will let you know, but thanks for bringing this up, because I feel your pain! Or itch eusa_wall.gif

No, I mean Dan's BP gel http://www.acnesupplies.com/  Did you notice that you started getting drier after using his gel?  Or are you not using his gel?

The only thing I've changed is switching to his gel  eusa_think.gif Or maybe it is just the winter weather  confused.gif

piece of poo.  I think I'll be shedding like a reptile for the rest of my life  eusa_snooty.gif

Take short lukewarm (not hot) showers (hot showers take away the oils from your face and dry it out)

Try not to stay out in the cold for a long period of time

And lastly invest in some Neutrogena Intensified day moisture (it works awesome

on dry, flaking skin)

Do this for a week or so and you will be flake free

I used to experience severe dryness with lots of flakes on my face in the past, here are some things that my dermatologist told me to help the problem and also some of my past experience with the skin care:

- if possible, try not to put any make up on, especially powder as it will make the flakiness even more appeared. Powder may be good for normal or oily skin as it absorbs skin's natural excess oil.

- if you wear make up during the day, use cleansing milk to remove the make up in the evening before you wash your face with the gentle cleanser. Using cleansing milk will remove the make up gently yet completely as well as exfoliate the flakes. Just put on the cleansing milk (get the one for dry or sensitive skin) and wipe it off very gently using a non-perfumed facial tissue (don't use washcloths). Don't rub too hard and don't massage. If you are on the regimen, once your face is clean from the make up and cleansing milk, then wash it gently with your cleanser as usual (just a few seconds as Dan's recommended). Don't worry about the cleansing milk containing oil, you will just wash it thoroughly with the cleanser afterwards anyway, so it should be fine to take care of the make up and flakes. If you do this in the morning too, your face will be soft and well prepared for the medication or make up. You may want to use cool (not cold) instead of hot or warm water if your skin is extremely dry.

- I am sure you have noticed that the eucerin skin renewal has lactic acid in it, which exfoliates your skin, and plus, it has SPF in it, which according to some studies, may cause irritation on your skin. So you may want to use another oil free moisturizer with no SPF and exfoliants for the evenings (you don't need sun protection in the evenings anyway). It's necessary for daytime use however.

- for those who are already clear from acne, yet have dry or flaky skin, you may want to try facial peel. I used to have facial peel for only 3 minutes with gentle AHA but my dermatologist did it for me. I had a very nice and smooth skin thereafter. If done correctly, it will make your skin very smooth and healthy. I found that Neutrogena has a new facial peel that we can do at home, but I don't know how it works, it sounds very promising for dry and flaky skin, but I wish to know if it will be good for acne prone skin.

I hope this will help.

well, i have decided to go back to using the bp twice a day.  I guess I'll have to try to deal with the dryness somehow  doubt.gif I can't stand that once I cut back on the bp, i have broken out  mad.gif

I was just curious as to what's the culprit of this sudden severe dryness  eusa_think.gif But even if it is the BP gel, it's the only thing that keeps me clear

thanks again all !!  you rock  wub.gif

stop messin' with your skin. switch to a BP wash and get some emu oil. get ready for a kickass breakout but your skin will thank you in the long run. seriously, you gonna ruin your skin; atleast use a SMALL amount like Goody advised.

I thought a lot of this junk started when you switched to cetaphil cleanser. Consider switching back.

My skin has become MORE moisturized in the winter. But of course our winters are mild (Atl).

I only do the regimen once a day, but that was because it worked better for me that way.

I use clean and clear morning burst cleanser, BP gel, then eucerin. I'm down to about four pumps of Eucerin or a little more because my face seemingly won't absorb anymore.

For the rest of the day, I do nothing else to my skin.