Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I went to the Derm on Wednesday, he prescribed me Amnesteem. Hopefully this will clear me once and for all, and hopefully after 8 months ,5 months being on Amnesteem then 3 months being off of it, I won't have to take another round. I started today, got them in yesterday, but wanted to start in the morning and not in the night. So far nothing, the Derm said it shouldn't get much, if any, worse then it is now.

Oh, and the packages are a hassle to get open...

So I guess that Tazorac didn’t do it for you? I know, most of those topicals suck when your acne is really bad or just stubborn. But, congratulations on starting Accutane - - I’m in my third month and I love my skin!

What milligram of Accutane (Amnesteem) did the dermatologist prescribe?

I’m sure from reading the posts here that you already know a lot about Accutane but, just in case: Be sure to take it with a meal that contains something fatty or at least drink a glass of whole milk with the pill. Buy yourself some Aquaphor or other potent lip balm and eye drops. Drink a ton of water. If you suffer a bad initial breakout, see if your dermatologist can prescribe you prednisone to help you through.

And, the packages do suck - - I rip my pills off the flyer section of the package and fold the pill portion in half (five on one side, five on the other). This helps when I push them out. That is the best advice I can give anyone about opening the damn annoying package. I also can’t stand the pregnant woman with a big “X� over her belly. They are all over my house right now.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress! biggrin.gif

Heh, yes, the pregnent woman on every inch of the box gets anoying.

He gave me 20mg, so far nothing has really happened in terms of a breakout. Except one on my forhead, but I think that one has been coming up for awhile. So far my skin feels 100% less oily, which is also a plus. And, yes, my dad went and got me some balm and eye drops, havn't had to use them yet. I can tell it is working though, joints are starting to hurt, which I heard was a side-effect. I was hesitant about going on this, but I guess it is paying off (but this is just the first day), wish I would have went on it last school year. Oh well, I should be, if I don't have to take another round, be clear by next school year. The only thing that really bothers me is the shots every month, it looks like i've been shooting up lol.gif , I don't like to see blood and with a needle in your arm it gets even worse.

I also can’t stand the pregnant woman with a big “X� over her belly.

I am on twenty milligrams as well and it works better this way for me. I had a bad reaction when the doctor upped my dose to 40 milligrams a month so I am back down to 20 again. It’s great news that your skin feels less oily now! That must be a relief. Yes, a side effect is joint pain. I’ve been trying to take the stairs everyday at work and my left knee is starting to bother me.

Trust me, in one year, your skin will look and feel so much better. I’m not there yet but I can see that by the Summer, I am going to be a very happy girl.

As far as the monthly needle goes, turn away and make a fist with your other hand as well. If you are bruising a lot, Vitamin K can help.

Mitzie, they should put a picture of the pregnant-x-woman on my Yasim as opposed to Accutane. On my Accutane package, I want a picture of someone with clear skin. This way, I can take the Yasim and say “this is so I don’t get pregnant� and when I take Accutane “this is so my skin will be clear.� I actually think we might have something here - - show pictures of results on all medications and people will be more apt to take them. (te-he-he!)

Well just to keep you updated, I may ever week or so. 3rd day, not much has changed, Cheecks have clear up a little, but still a couple of new ones have came up. But,it is only the 3rd day, I can't expect much by then, can I now? Lips havn't dried out yet, and my eyes arn't dry eaither, joints hurt, but that is all. Chin has 3-5 new ones, cheeks have about 2-3 new ones, but more have went away on them.

Well just to keep you updated, I may ever week or so. 3rd day, not much has changed, Cheecks have clear up a little, but still a couple of new ones have came up. But,it is only the 3rd day, I can't expect much by then, can I now? Lips havn't dried out yet, and my eyes arn't dry eaither, joints hurt, but that is all. Chin has 3-5 new ones, cheeks have about 2-3 new ones, but more have went away on them.

Im currently on my 4th month of amnesteem and everything is going well. Im currently on 100 mgs and the chapped lips are insane. I definitely dont break out as much but the chapped lips are killing me. I have atleast 5 packages of lip balms, chapsticks, oils, u name it! The best part of taking amnesteem is fewer breakouts and not as oily skin. Good luck to the rest of you, i still have 2 months left. Wish me luck!

Question:Is my face supposed to get dry after awhile. I think it is starting too, expeccially on my cheeks and around my mouth. My lips are chapped too, but I know that is normal so no need explaining that. And ,if so, what are some good lotions to use and where can you get them at?

*Edit* Oh, and just so you know, or if you care, The pimples on my left cheeck have scabbed over, not sure why but they always seem to do this, guess it is natures way of healing. (No, I didn't pick them) My right cheeks hasn't had better progress, but has still progresses a little. My chin has finally stopped breaking out after the horrible tazorac loved to break it out 24/7, last pimple I got was a crist (I think) it hurt for a day or two then came to a point and is now going down. Still, someone had to comment on my face on Wednesday, which ruined my day, if not my week, it wen't along the lines of 'You have all those pimples (not sure what he is talking about, sence I only had about 10 in all which are going down., why don't you pop them.' Oh how I would have loved to just give him a good lickn', if that is the word. I did have it bad last year, he had to comment on them also, oh well. Once this is over, and it seems like it is going well, i'll be clear and noone more, bad, comments...hopefully.

*Edit 2* And, my forhead has cleared up except one small, small, pimple.

There have been a few recent topics about good moisturizers (read the one titled "Olay Total Effects" - or something along those lines).

Well, nothing has really gotten much better. My cheeks have broke out, especially the right one. The left cheek is doing alright, but still one or two to get rid of. Chin borke out a little, some are still going down. Forhead is mostly clear, just one or two to deal with there, also. I guess the glands have shrunk, this would also be the cause of the new pimples i'm guessing? The oil ony my face has pretty much came to almost nothing, which is a big improvement over what it used to be like. I got Cetaphil lotion, I used it while on Differen, also so I'd give it a try agian. Oh well, just the 2nd week, I can't expect drastic improvement by then. Still have 4 1/2 more months..so.

Well, a week after that. Both cheecks have gotten better. My left one bork out last Monday, I beleave. Since then they have gone down, and should be, hopefully, be gone by Tuesday. We had a 4 day weekend... Anyways, right has gotten alot better, all the ones I had my last post are gone. I still have 1 small one, came up today, and a larger one on the side. My chin hasn't gotten too much better, my trouble area has decreased to one now, I have one right on my chin, but the inflammtion in it has gone down conciderable. Forhead brok out some 3 new ones. They are also going down, but since this med takes it longer to heal, they take longer to go down. Or so it seems. I go back Feb 16th, hopefully I won't have any by then. So far, so good.

Well, now my main problem is Red Marks. Had them before, don't want them agian.. doubt.gif Still havn't stopped breaking out, can any answer if this is normal or not? (It has been 1 month Tuesday, I go back next week the 16th.) Skin has been dry, but I really havn't done anything about it, to be honest. I have had less breakouts, and my cheeks have almost recovered. (I have about 2 on each cheek, and 4 on my chin. 1 on my forhead) Now i'm mad because I have redmarks, I guess i'll get some Vitamin C tablets, agian. They seemed to work a little last time, finally recovered from my last 'redmark disaster' in late Nov. early Dec. Now, they are back agian... confused.gif

Patients isn't my best quality, especially when you go through something...twice. Oh, and, answers would be nice... eusa_wall.gif

NewGuy, like you, I assume that the breakouts are caused when the glands get smaller and the oil has no place to go so it surfaces on your skin and that is the cause of the initial breakout. Who knows? We both could be wrong but it is as good a theory as any. Breaking out at this point in your treatment is completely normal. As you know, people can sometimes breakout during their entire treatment but the majority start to clear up around the third and fourth months. I remember when I first started Accutane and I wanted clear skin in one week. It was the super-drug so I didn’t think my expectations were so bold. I learned that it didn’t matter whether or not I learned patience: patience learned me. doubt.gif

Has your doctor prescribed anything to use on your skin while on Accutane such as lotions or creams? I think I’ve said it a million times already here and probably posted this to you before but I had great luck using Klaron gel to dry up any pimples that came to a head. It didn’t help out with the cysts but it quickly dried up the smaller ones.

You said that you aren’t doing anything about your dry skin. Does this mean that you are no longer moisturizer or that you aren’t exfoliating? Exfoliation is a big no-no eusa_naughty.gif while on Accutane so I wouldn’t feel too guilty about not doing it. If you feel like taking chances removing dry skin from your face, try using scotch tape to gently lift it away or use your hands with Cetaphil cleanser in the shower. I’m in my fourth month and only recently has my skin become way too incredibly sensitive to exfoliate.

As far as red marks go, there really isn’t much you can do about it while on Accutane. Not to upset you and only to prepare you, healing time is delayed on Accutane so the redness might take longer to go away. Some people have a different opinion regarding this and say that since Accutane is drying out your skin, the exfoliation process will help reduce redness. It makes sense, but it hasn’t happened for me.

Things such as bleaching creams and topical retinoids are usually too harsh for people on Accutane so Vitamin C is a good idea because of this limitation. I take Ester-C daily and also drink water with lemon juice. I get moderate results from this.

Good luck and continue to keep us posted with your results. Also, if you have questions regarding particular things, it helps a lot to start a new post with your questions.

Well, I must say, I am better off then I was 5 weeks ago. I had about 15 on my face and my chin, well I forgot how many I had there, but they were big ol' crysts. Anywas, I know the Red Marks will take longer to heal on Accutane, I;ve had remakrs before, and, excuse my language, they can be a bitch sometimes. I tend not to look in the mirror anymore, which helps a little. And ,yes I do use mousturizer sometimes, rarely though. I used it all day today, but it really didn't help, to be honest.

Well, 10 days since my last posts, this may even be my last if things keep going to way they are. So far most has clear up. I have about 1 on my cheeks, 3 on my chin, and one on my forehead. This is the clearest i've been in, about, 6 months, or so. All are going down, also, which is always a plus. Went to the derm on the 16th, they filled my persciprtion wrong. They only gave me enough pulls for 20 days, 60 pills to be exact. I was supposed to get 90 pills, I take 3 a day, and return on March 16th. Now I have to return about 10 days earlier just because they messed it up.. rolleyes.gif Last month I took 60mg a day, now I am taking 20mg a day.

I'm all clear now, exlcuding the red marks. The only zit i've had in weeks was one on the side of me face, near my ear lobe. Now for the scarring. I am thinking of getting Laser treatment, see how that goes through. I have 2-3 ice pick scars, some look deep in certain light, but I can't feel them or see them when I get really, really close to the mirror, and it is still red. Two of the others are on the left side and are pretty close together, I think they are shallow. I've gone all year with these and I would love to get rid of them over the summer, while I am at home almost 24/7 anyways. I have a few smaller indented scars that I am just now noticing, not sure what they will look like once hte redness has gone down. I would love to get rid of these, I have no pictures, but they are mostely shallow, excluding the one I can't feel on the right side of my face that I mentoned earlier. (I'm not 100% sure it is even deep) Any advice would be nice, or any good treatments, chemical peels, laser, (mircro)dermabrasions etc, etc. Obviosuly I have to wait one more month to get off this, which is also my last month, and the one month 'recovery' afterwards.