Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dean

Warning!

You are so right... i noticed that when i followed the South Beach Diet my skin cleared up completely.. lately i have had awful, itchy acne on my lower jaw.. i wash and use benzpzide and it goes away slowly and reoccures quickly.. i have felt completely gross! so i decided to give up flour (no more sourdough toast in the am cry.gif ) and stop putting sugar in my coffee.. i am lucky- i don't have much of a sweet tooth. It has only been two days since this change and i see improvement!!!

maybe it has something to do with food allergies?? how does one get tested??

eusa_think.gif quki

Hmm....I'm really really tempted not to even do this, BUT maybe someone will learn something from it....

First of all, lets start with this whole confusing genetics business. Genes can be turned on or off, depending on your current situation, and this starts from the moment we are born. Normally genes are turned on/activated or turned off/deactivated throughout our growing, developing, aging lives. However based on outside or environmental influences we can deactivate or activete other genes within us.

For example, people that develop cancer from toxic waste weren't destinated to have cancer, it was the toxic waste that ALTERED their genetic makeup, activating genes that are normally deactivated. Although, granted some people are destined to have cancer (based on family history), BUT if they follow a "healthier" lifestyle (diet, exercise, avoidance of certain triggers), they can reduce or entirely eliminate their risk for cancer.

Therefore, now that we ALL know that genes can be activated or deactivated as time goes on and can also be influenced by environmental factors, is it easier to understand WHY not everyone has acne? If not, then perhaps you may want to take into account that despite wether you actually have a genetic defect for acne, as long as you suppress it (through medication, supps, etc) and/or through avoidance of certain foods that "feed" or trigger it, you can reduce or entirely ELIMINATE your acne.

See, the thing is, genes alone are NO guarantee you will EVER develop acne, obesity, or cancer, you also MUST take into account your environmental influences! It is these gene-environment interactions that ultimately determine whether you will develop a health problem or hormonal disorder. Sometimes your genes are the stronger influence and sometimes it is your environment, but do NOT be mislead into believing that since "its genetic" that you do not have control over altering your environment in order to reduce or perhaps even eliminate your risk for developing a future health problem.

Ahh, but of course, when it comes to altering your environmental influences, one must know what triggers there are in their current lifestyle, before they can even hope to reduce their risk. This is where the great debate seems to be, isn't it? Fried, Fatty, Chocolate, Sugar, Refined, etc etc, which IS it??? Well, my standpoint is that you must first understand what your current risk happens to be for in order to significantly reduce or annihilate your acne ! Is it for a future health problem like insulin resistance, obesity or diabetes or is it for a future hormonal disorder that results in Hyperandrogenisim such as, Non-congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (NCCAH/LOCAH), Insulin Resistance Syndrome/Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), or Hypothyroidism?

Generally you can tell your risk by looking at your siblings, parents, and grandparents. Do they have any health problems or hormonal disorders? Don't know, ASK them =) Do you have any health problems or hormonal disorders? Do you have other signs of a health/hormonal disorder such as other skin problems, weight problems, menstrual problems, digestive problems, neurological problems, fatigue, alopecia (hair loss), hirstuism (unwanted hair growth), jitteriness, heart palpitations, vision problems, poor circulation, etc Don't know, go see an Endocrinologist (may need a referral), as this is a doctor that specializes in metabolic, and thus hormonal, disorders. Another way to know if you have a hormonal disorder is to think back on when puberty first begin for you. Precocious Puberty (age 8 or younger) is associated with the development of future Hormonal Disorders. So if you started developing breasts, body hair, menstrual cycle, etc during this age...chances are you have an underlying hormonal disorder.

For those of you that didn't begin puberty at such an early age as myself, how long have you had acne? How severe is it and where is it located (face, body, scalp, ear, neck, legs, etc)? The answers to these questions will help you determine if indeed something deeper may be going on. Generally, the longer you've had it, more severe it is, the more signs/symptoms you have, & the less responsive to topical & oral treatments, the greater your chance that it is indeed caused by an underlying health or hormonal problem (if not some sort of pesticide or other toxin in your environment) and you should get checked out by an Endocrinologist ASAP!

Every1 one is putting forward well structured opinions and some good theorys.

I accept that if u think certain foods aggrovate acne then stay clear of them by all means.

However my reserach shows that acne is genetic. Acne suffers have a gene that makes our pores collapes in on themselves, so we get a build up of sebum and bacteria breeds with it giving u a spot. No one knows exactly why this happens therefore there is no cure for acne at present.

My point is i am 100% clear on the regimen and i am still eating the same stuff as i have always eaten. i still have acne because i have tried comming of it a few times and i broke out.

I changed my diet for 18months once. Stayed away from fried foods and chocolate, DIDNT DO SHIT. i just made myself ill from not eatting enough food. I will admitt i think certain foods increase oil production but changing your diet dont stop your pores from collaping in on themselves so even your normal of amount sebum u r ment to have in  your skin will give u spots if it gets trapped.

Nicky

Until I see a before and after picture here.  I ain't gonna believe none of the food shit.  Cause I tried it for four months and it didn't do anything.  My acne actually got worse.

they say if you believe that something like say chocolate gives you more acne that then it'll happen , they've done these tests with sugar pills told the people they were special pills and theyd help them in which ever way, these people autimatically improved in watever it was they said it cured, the people they told that it didnt work didnt improve, therefore if u believe chocolate effects ur face then it mite be goin to ur brain and it could be telling ur body to make more acne or w/e, just a theory

they say if you believe that something like  say chocolate gives you more acne that then it'll happen , they've done these tests with sugar pills told the people they were special pills and theyd help them in which ever way, these people autimatically improved in watever it was they said it cured, the people they told that it didnt work didnt improve, therefore if u believe chocolate effects ur face then it mite be goin to ur brain and it could be telling ur body to make more acne or w/e, just a theory

Nicky,

The above post is directed hopefully at showing how "genetics" isn't just the easy way out of believing that you have less control over your circumstances than you may actually have.  However, there are always exceptions, but I would like to further clarify a few things.  When I say Health Problem I also mean to include Allergy, Intolerance or Sensitivity of foods or chemicals (in the foods) that we consume, as these untreated can greatly affect one's quality of life.  However when I say Hormonal Disorder, I mean to include those that are genetically as well as environmentally induced.

Now you've said that you've researched this and feel that it is entirely genetic and hormonal based, but sure among your research, you discovered that our hormones are controlled not just by our liver, but by the foods we eat.  If we starve ourselves, chances are we wouldn't have acne either as the body doesn't have the NECCESSARY nutrients to produce acne, yet it is absolutely unncessary and unhealthy to do so.  Instead, research has shown that there are certain foods that are more likely to invoke an androgen increase and/or inflammatory product increase, and thus in people that are susceptible to acne or those that just get "too much" of these foods, acne can result.  Therefore we have now accounted for both instances where diet plays a contributory role genetically (providing fuel) or the only role environmentally (too much of certain foods/compounds).

I'm not certain if it was you or someone else that wondered this but, no, everyone in the western world will not develop acne unless they have reached a point where they produce hormones essential for growth & proper development.  Usually this would be considered the point where Puberty occurs, and therefore unless you were born with a hormonal imbalance, this is the period where it will start to (slowy) kick in.  Now the above posts also mentions Precocious Puberty, but for those undergoing either form, "Puberty is a Temporary state of Insulin Resistance"   and once puberty has ended (early 20s?), Insulin Resistance subsides and the hormones normalize.  However 25% of the (adult) population STILL has Insulin Resistance, so it's not always so temporary. Did you happen to come across Insulin Resistance Syndrome or the Metabolic Syndrome as being implicated as the aggrivator or sole cause of certain health problems & hormonal disorders, including acne?  Well it is. 

While there are a variety of hormonal disorders out there, someof them are associated with Insulin Resistance and therefore can possibly be controlled through diet alone, or at least some of the symptoms, IF they pick the right diet.  The case of Insulin and it's affect on hormones has been known since the 1960s, yet you won't hear many dermatologists or doctors bragging about this.  The discovery that Insulin was being associated with androgen increases (or decreases in certain other hormones or proteins) was as slow one.  First starting with one woman, then several women, then men, than male & female adolescents, and now, well I wish it was common knowledge, but obviously from the responses on this and other boards, it still is not. 

Furthermore, people like to think that a pill or cream will solve everything, but for some of us it can not.  In fact once again, depending on one's gene-environment interactions, medications, supplements, and even a non-refined vegan "low carb" diet may not be enough to fix one's health problems or acne.  Sometimes it requires more of a "sacrifice" than that, such a sacrifice, usually involves altering one's lifestyle, and thus diet BEYOND what some feel are "worth it", but if it was the only way to get off the drugs or clear your skin, why wouldn't you do it?

OK, so this is how it works.  If Insulin Resistance is responsible for a variety of health problems that are considered "preventable diseases", then surely there MUST be a way for us to try and prevent them.  So instead of merely taking Avandia to help your body become less insulin resistance, BUT still continue eating all the foods you want, thus COUNTERACTING and possibly NEGATING the positive effects of the drug, why not just change your diet?  While you may be able to get away with this by taking a higher dose of Avandia, the safest & healthier option is to change your diet so that you may not even NEED the Avandia!  In fact, it has been known since the 1970s that changing your diet yields the same response (lower insulin, androgen, tryglycerides & LDL levels) or greater than taking certain drugs, thus negating the NEED for those drugs!!!

This is why we follow the diets that we do.  I don't mind giving up an extra item or two if it means I don't have to be on a prescribed pill for the rest of my life, but I'll take a supplement. ;-)  I wish I could say that my dietary changes had a significant impact on my hirsutism, but it only reduced that a little (combined with Spiro & its a great combo).  However, finding the near right diet for me, gave me 99%+ clear skin (no "right" medication every gave me that) , eliminated my horrible cripling crying on the floor menstrual pains, reduced my sebum production, reduced my dandruff, gave me the tiniest pores I've had since before puberty, slightly improved my vision, and heck and as a result, enabled me to do things and wear clothes that as a woman I could not do (as I had body acne).  After 14 years of dealing with acne, these are all the reasons that dietary changes, particulary when you find the right ones, WAS worth it for me!

If you are still skeptical and need proof, feel free to search the board under my name for associated scientific articles.  The info I have is guaranteed to overwhelm you, but it's always well intentioned  ;-)  If you are curious how your diet stacks up to the rest ours, feel free to post what type of diet you tried specifically mentioning the types of foods you were and weren't eating. Of all the people that myself or others have met or worked with, I've only come across a handful of people that dietary changes didn't work for, most of which never bothered to explain what they did or didn't do.  While I can consent that diet isn't always the answer, and I don't believe it is the only answer to ALL health problems in life, for those that chose this option and are still not seeing results, sometimes all it takes is one little unfavorable food item in the diet to spoil your progress...

Take care

Right, except when one alters their diet just to loose weight or for some other reason and end up with clear skin as a result.  How does a placebo go into effect if one wasn't thinking about diet clearing their skin?

On the reverse of that, how come when we KNOW that anti-androgens or insulin sensitizing drugs work to improve if not clear our skin and we believe that all we have to do is now take these pills and "all will be right," yet discover that all wasn't right, how come the placebo effect didn't work here? 

So, while I do believe in mind power, I fail to see how it applies for most of us on this board that have discovered both of the above scenarios to be true.

Jade,

Do you have your diet described somewhere on these message boards? If you do, please point me in that direction, as I would be interested to know what works for you.

You make excellent contributions to these message boards, although I must confess that I don’t always read all the way through what you’ve written. Sometimes, a lot of information - some of which is admittedly unknown - inspires a frustration within me. It is a frustration akin to the one I feel when I slowly break out while attempting a purely diet related acne treatment.

Hey Jade

I read the link you have referenced and I found it interesting. It’s funny, but as you run through the list of what you don’t eat, I found myself thinking: “What else is there?� but then as you go on to describe some of the things you can eat, it became clear that many substantial foods remain on your menu. One thing you’ve mentioned before - which made all your subsequent posts more interesting - was that High Fructose Corn Syrup causes cysts. I am certain this is true, but a good many people who suffer from cysts won’t give up soda, or look to see what sweetener is in certain products. Funny, but I don’t get acne from table sugar, which means that I could probably drink soda if they would just sweeten it with something else.

My diet is rather Spartan, and it probably suffers from a lack of variety. But when I stay on it, I don’t usually have a noteworthy acne issue.

Oatmeal, Rice, Noodles, Potatoes. (I prefer all of these things slightly undercooked.).

Chicken, Cheese, boiled eggs, hard salami

Apples, Bananas, Carrots, small Lettuce salad

Butter, Flax Oil, Tofu, Salt, Brown Sugar

Vitamin C

That is really about all I eat... No wait, it is my habit to eat a small bag of Animal Crackers while at work, and these are simple carbs, sweetened with corn syrup. Other foods crawl in to this diet when I eat out, but I try to avoid ground beef, as I believe it makes me mildly arthritic.

i disagree and nothing makes me more crazy than when someone suggests its refined sugar. i dont even eat chocolates or like candies. and im naturally a health nut. i buy only organic and wholesome foods. and no i dont eat wheat at all. im glad it works for you, but i dont believe it just because i have sever acne and i dont eat garbage. and it makes me furious when people bring it up to me. i feel like the incredible hulk or something, like im going to flip over cars. but glad its working for you.

Just a quick post to warn everyone that, in my opinion, diet can have a really bad effect on acne.

Here's my story...

I've been taking b5 supplements for about 3 months now. For the past maybe 2.5 months I've also cut out wheat from my diet, too.

My cleansing routine involves washing my face twice a day with an oil free exfoliating wash from Clean & Clear, followed by a wash with 5% benzoyl peroxide.

I noticed as the weeks went by that I was getting fewer and fewer spots, and I would go a few days without even getting a little pimple.  eusa_dance.gif

So, in the run up to Christmas, I thought 'great, if I keep to my current diet and cleansing routine I'll be ready to go out on New Year's Eve!'

Christmas came and went without me having ANY chocolate at all, and hardly any new spots at all. But then disaster struck ...

With there being boxes and tins of chocolates in every room in the house, and with me feeling my skin wouldn't react to it, I decided to start eating a few chocolates now and again throughout the day.

The week right after Christmas Day turned into a huge week-long chocolate binge but by the end of the week after Christmas, I had only a few new spots, albeit larger ones than normal.

Since then, the number and size of spots on my face has increased rapidly. New Year's Eve was a complete no-show for me. I just stayed in.

The last few days of last week and the first of this week have been the worse.  cry.gif

So on Monday this week, I decided to never have refined sugar (i.e. chocolate, etc) again if it could be avoided. In addition to that, I'm still avoiding wheat and drinking tons of water every day.

After being totally demoralised and reclusive on Tuesday  ninja.gif , I'm now clearing up again and today I had just 2 new small pimples.  smile.gif

It was a truly harsh way of letting me know that chocolate really can cause terrible acne and I would quite happily never eat it again! I'm sure the effects of eating the chocolate were delayed, which lulled me into a false sense that I would be unaffected by the stuff.  rolleyes.gif

It's depressing to know that diet can have such an effect. My diet is soooo boring and restrictive now but I'm hoping it's worth it.  eusa_pray.gif

Have any of you had similar experiences?

i disagree and nothing makes me more crazy than when someone suggests its refined sugar. i dont even eat chocolates or like candies. and im naturally a health nut. i buy only organic and wholesome foods. and no i dont eat wheat at all. im glad it works for you, but i dont believe it just because i have sever acne and i dont eat garbage. and it makes me furious when people bring it up to me. i feel like the incredible hulk or something, like im going to flip over cars. but glad its working for you.

I think I agree with the diet affecting how bad acne is. I've had acne now for 6 years, to cut a long story short for the past 6 months I've simply washed with warm water and and have recently started improving my diet by just eating fruit, mainly apples, and drinking pints of water. The large cysts have virtually stopped altogether and now i only really get a few "normal" spots dotted about the lower part of my face. I'm hopeful that if i continue eating and drinking healthy they will completly clear. But to be honest I think maybe its more to do with me growing past the teenage years and naturally growing out of them, and this just helped speed it up.

Anyway, regardless of acne, you should eat more healthy to be fitter, feel better all over, and not turn into one of those obese people we see all over our tv screens nowadays.

okay...? If you eating fruits and things like that of course your skin is going to look better, BUT!!!!!! IT DOESN'T MEAN THAT WHAT YOU WERE EATING BEFORE WAS CAUSING YOU BREAK OUTS. People blame the food, what they don't realize is that food has nothing to do with acne. Some believe some kind of foods can affect it, but it doesn't mean it really is. I wish people would just shut their mouths and stop talking about food and acne. I seen teenagers eat whatever they want n having acne, they never say is because of what they are eating till there is one moron that is going to tell them that food is causing it. I remember people telling me you eat crap and look at your face. I used to be so careful with what I ate, I still was breaking out, not as much because I was taking care of my diet. Meaning it was going to be healthier. I eat whatever I want now, I Don't care if I break out cause I know is not from the food I eat. It just happens. People put so much stress on their foods eusa_snooty.gif Just because you eat a chocolate today doesn't mean tomorrow you would be popped with pimples. Grow up...

I am not trying to be mean or offend anybody, but if you think about it you'll know. Even if you stop eating complely and just drink water for a month doesn't mean you are cured since u are not eating anything. You are still going to break out, just get it on your mind that eating healthy helps you look healthier, eating what everyone eats is not going to make you break out.

JUST EAT CONSCIENCELY NEVER STRESS YOUR SELF OUT BECAUSE OF WHAT YOU EAT.

goody - I agree that food is not the cause of acne. but i do believe that certain foods can aggravate it, or make the dormant pimples under the skin come to the surface. just like stress.

Hey Jade

I read the link you have referenced and I found it interesting. It’s funny, but as you run through the list of what you don’t eat, I found myself thinking: “What else is there?� but then as you go on to describe some of the things you can eat, it became clear that many substantial foods remain on your menu. One thing you’ve mentioned before - which made all your subsequent posts more interesting - was that High Fructose Corn Syrup causes cysts. I am certain this is true, but a good many people who suffer from cysts won’t give up soda, or look to see what sweetener is in certain products. Funny, but I don’t get acne from table sugar, which means that I could probably drink soda if they would just sweeten it with something else.

My diet is rather Spartan, and it probably suffers from a lack of variety. But when I stay on it, I don’t usually have a noteworthy acne issue.

Oatmeal, Rice, Noodles, Potatoes. (I prefer all of these things slightly undercooked.).

Chicken, Cheese, boiled eggs, hard salami

Apples, Bananas, Carrots, small Lettuce salad

Butter, Flax Oil, Tofu, Salt, Brown Sugar

Vitamin C

That is really about all I eat... No wait, it is my habit to eat a small bag of Animal Crackers while at work, and these are simple carbs, sweetened with corn syrup. Other foods crawl in to this diet when I eat out, but I try to avoid ground beef, as I believe it makes me mildly arthritic.

Hmm. I've just found out that P. Acnes lives in the GI tract... including the mouth.

I'm thinking that eating sugary foods might cause it to grow and increase the chances of getting acne (for example whilst brushing teeth it's really easy to get saliva, which presumably contains P.Acnes, on the face.)

Once there it's easy to imagine it forming acne.

All I know is that I do get acne around the nose and mouth.

Jack,

Indeed you are corect. Lots of people immediately feel as if their food world has just been taken from them because they either didn't think about the other foods in life or have never experienced them.  There's still plenty to eat and if we can just train ourselves or learn how to cook better, or to eat more vegetables, like we do of other foods, our bodies overall would be much healthier  =)

As for the soda thing, people may not notice a difference in their skin when giving up soda, as I didn't for the 10 years that I did, because Fructose Sweetners are found in the majority of processed foods!!!  LOL, no wonder people can't make the connection as they were always consuming these types of sweeteners, even when they thought they were not.  =0  Oh, but there are Organic/Natural sodas such as Wild Oats & Organic Blue Sky that do use table sugar sweetners.  Not even Fruits Juice sweenteners will do as they are still more heavily Fructose based than table sugar/sucrose is.  Here's something you may find of value:  http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=42112

As for your diet, well again, ONE little or large thing in your diet that your body views as unfavorable, is all it takes to spoil your fun!  Based on what I can see in your current diet, you've got several possiblities:

Noodles - what type?  Durum, Semolina, triticale are all wheat varieties.  Perhaps you should try 100% Quinoa, Rice, Buckwheat, Corn, or a combo of these grains instead for pasta noodles.

Bananas - some of us are intolerant to this and get cystic acne as result.  I still love up, but I gave them up http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=43420

Oatmeal - is this 100% unrefined whole rolled oats?  Is this contaminated with gluten-protien?  I know that some people that are Gluten-Free can eat Oatmeal as long as it's unrefined and not the instant stuff like frome Quaker Oats.

Cheese - some people have issues with dairy others don't.  Maybe you might want to experiment with goat cheese, I tried feta once it was quite tasty.

Animal Crackers - well you know it has the HFCS, but it also has the Gluten.  There is a gluten-free version by Mi-Del and they aren't made with HFCS : ,http://www.vitacost.com/store/products/productdescription.cfm?SKUNumber=030684769979&searchby=PN&bt=products&pd_section=rp

So, think you might want to eliminate or try substituting some of these and see what happens?  ;-)

okay...? If you eating fruits and things like that of course your skin is going to look better, BUT!!!!!!  IT DOESN'T MEAN THAT WHAT YOU WERE EATING BEFORE WAS CAUSING YOU BREAK OUTS.

if there is a gene that makes the pores of acne sufferers collapse in on themselves, maybe strengthening your skin can help. white tea builds up the immune system of the skin.

Diet certainly doesn't cause acne. Genetics is the main culprit IMO. If you are not genetically inclined to have acne then your diet will probably not cause you to develop acne.

However I think that if you are one of the many of us who have been given a tendency genetically to develop acne a poor diet can aggrivate you acne. A good diet MAY control your breakouts. Diet may not help everybody in their quest for being clear, but might as well give it a shot, you're not going to lose anything by trying it.