Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dean

Warning!

Just a quick post to warn everyone that, in my opinion, diet can have a really bad effect on acne.

Here's my story...

I've been taking b5 supplements for about 3 months now. For the past maybe 2.5 months I've also cut out wheat from my diet, too.

My cleansing routine involves washing my face twice a day with an oil free exfoliating wash from Clean & Clear, followed by a wash with 5% benzoyl peroxide.

I noticed as the weeks went by that I was getting fewer and fewer spots, and I would go a few days without even getting a little pimple. eusa_dance.gif

So, in the run up to Christmas, I thought 'great, if I keep to my current diet and cleansing routine I'll be ready to go out on New Year's Eve!'

Christmas came and went without me having ANY chocolate at all, and hardly any new spots at all. But then disaster struck ...

With there being boxes and tins of chocolates in every room in the house, and with me feeling my skin wouldn't react to it, I decided to start eating a few chocolates now and again throughout the day.

The week right after Christmas Day turned into a huge week-long chocolate binge but by the end of the week after Christmas, I had only a few new spots, albeit larger ones than normal.

Since then, the number and size of spots on my face has increased rapidly. New Year's Eve was a complete no-show for me. I just stayed in.

The last few days of last week and the first of this week have been the worse. cry.gif

So on Monday this week, I decided to never have refined sugar (i.e. chocolate, etc) again if it could be avoided. In addition to that, I'm still avoiding wheat and drinking tons of water every day.

After being totally demoralised and reclusive on Tuesday ninja.gif , I'm now clearing up again and today I had just 2 new small pimples. smile.gif

It was a truly harsh way of letting me know that chocolate really can cause terrible acne and I would quite happily never eat it again! I'm sure the effects of eating the chocolate were delayed, which lulled me into a false sense that I would be unaffected by the stuff. rolleyes.gif

It's depressing to know that diet can have such an effect. My diet is soooo boring and restrictive now but I'm hoping it's worth it. eusa_pray.gif

Have any of you had similar experiences?

I have also seen the horrible affects of refined sugar on my face, especially in the form of chocolate. After clearing my skin the natural way in late November and early December I went on a chocolate binge over Christmas and broke out badly. Now I'm on Differin to help fix the damage and I also try to stay far away from refined sugar.

I have also seen the horrible affects of refined sugar on my face, especially in the form of chocolate. After clearing my skin the natural way in late November and early December I went on a chocolate binge over Christmas and broke out badly. Now I'm on Differin to help fix the damage and I also try to stay far away from refined sugar.

It's so annoying that something so delicious and readily available is so bad for you.  eusa_wall.gif

Just out of interest, how did you clear your skin "the natural way" in the first place?

So how long after you started this diet did your skin clear up? And how bad was it to start with?

I didn't really do everything at once but I can estimate that I started in early november, and I was almost clear by early december. My acne was (is) mild, mostly on my forehead and chin, once in a while i'll get 1 or 2 on the cheeks.

i totally agree on you that diet affects your skin. recently i became a true believer to the phrase "you are what you eat". so one of my new year resolutions was to eat healthy. i promised myself that i would eat meat only twice a week. i've even cut down refined sugar and try to enjoy food like, fish, green vegetable, brown rice, fruits and so forth... and guess what? i haven't had my usual break out. once a month i break out like a mad woman. almost to a point i don't want to go out. my face would peel like my skin is really dry and i would get these dry red patches.

anyway, my skin has been behaving pretty good since i started eating well. so far i had no breakout and my skin feels smooth. i want to keep my diet the same for next few months and see if it holds true. i'll will update this entry after 2 months later. see ya then!

UPDATE: 2/27/05

ok i just wanted to give u an update of how my new diet is going and how i think it's relating to my skin. so basically i did cut down refined sugar for about a month...but my skin DID break out once again...so now i'm wondering if it's the meat. check out this quote i found on site that deals with acne research - diet & lifestyle.

"It is the male hormone, testosterone, which stimulates the production of the sebaceous glands in times of stress. This is why people often develop acne when under stress. Meat (including poultry) contains hormones and hormone-like substances which can affect the hormonal balance in the body. Beauticians have reported that women who regularly eat meat are more likely to suffer from acne and hirsuitism which they put down to the steroids and hormone levels in the meat."

but the important thing i DID realize since january is that eating healthy is good period. whether it makes your skin beautiful or not your body will be healthier. there are a lot more worse diseases than acne, cancer for example. what i'm trying to say is...whether diet affect acne or not i'll continue to eat healthy. i rediscovered how wonderful vegetable taste..and how unprocessed food taste so much better then processed. even if your acne might not clear up, your body will appreciate you and who knows..your skin might transform too in the long run.

so don't give up your good diet just because you don't see immediate results on your skin. i will give another update in a few months. thanks guys!

There's definately gotta be some truth in that phrase "you are what you eat" runa.

Try to keep us posted on how your skin improves with a healthier diet. I know it's hard to keep coming back to this site when you have pretty much cleared up (as I found about 3 weeks ago) but it would be beneficial to other readers if you did.

I'll do the same. biggrin.gif

I hope diet really is the cause of my skin problems, then I can hopefully stop using b5, benzoyl peroxide, etc, which cost me a lot of money. It'd be so much easier to stay clear if diet was the only cause. eusa_pray.gif

Anyway, good luck both of you! eusa_dance.gif

Dean - I can totally relate to your chocolate tragedy...I no longer have active acne but when I did ..CHOCOLATE (and ONLY chocolate) made it go crazy!!!

I craved it sooo.. much, It would kill me to see someone enjoy it...I used to tell my boyfriend.."if I ever found out I only had a few months to live..I am going to buy a 50lb. chocolate bar and eat the whole damn thing!!!" lol.gif

haha all that is shmuck~ for me atleast..

i eat rice everyday (as a korean-american)and junkfoods everyday and chew 3+ sticks of gum everyday..

i dont get that much acne anymore after ive started using the.. "no washing face" regimen..

Guest Nicky_uk

Heres my story.

Ate chocolate when first got acne.

Cut it for a year and changed my whole diet. still had acne.

Started dans regimen, still eating what ever i want, a year later i am totally clear for 8months striaght.

There is no scienific evidence to link food to acne, if that was the case the entire western world would have acne coz we all eat crap.

Nicky

Heres my story.

Started dans regimen, still eating what ever i want, a year later i am totally clear for 8months striaght.

There is no scienific evidence to link food to acne, if that was the case the entire western world would have acne coz we all eat crap.

Nicky

True but acne is not an allergic reaction it is a genetic defect, its either in your genes or it aint, hell u can even have the acne gene all your life and its possible that it wont switch on.

Something u done to your face two weeks ago can cause a spot, once the bacteria is in your pores it takes a week to, two weeks for it to develop into a spot, so what people conclude what triggers their acne is a lot of the time jus a coinsidence.

Nicky

Nicky...

It's scientifically proven that we are all different, so it's quite possible that in some people, like me, chocolate (refined sugar) can cause acne.

I've done some research on the net and found out about candida yeast that is a natural part of our body. This candida grows when it gets fed with other yeast (i.e. from bread) and from refined sugar (i.e. refined chocolate from chocolate, etc), which it can't break down and get rid of very easily.

For some people, the candida yeast can grow out of control and cause yeast infections, such as thrush, and has also been linked to acne.

Before my chocolate binge I was slowly clearing up for the first time in about 8 months since my accutane-assisted clear skinned days (although every friday I would have a bar of chocolate as a "friday treat", during the week I might have the odd mini pack of jaffa cakes and on saturday I might have a bowl of ice cream) .

After the chocolate binge, which involved the equivalent of about 3 chocolate bars a day for about a week, plus stuff like rhubarb and custard deserts, I've been set back by about a month or more.

You mentioned that "there's no scientific evidence to link food and acne, if that was the case the entire world would have acne cos we all eat crap". You summed it up perfectly in your other post saying that genetics had a role to play in acne.

Maybe my genes are such that if I eat too much of certain foods like refined sugar, wheat, or dairy, etc, my body will react by breaking me out? Who knows?

But everybody's different, that's why certain regimens work on some people but not others (like the bp regimen). All I know is that I've identified refined sugar as the problem, so I'm cutting it out of my diet completely. If my skin clears up more rapidly now without any refined sugar at all, I'll know that this is the true cause of my acne.

I'd much rather cut something out of my diet than have to keep applying products to my face for the rest of my life.

Well, it is certainly possible that you might have a reaction to some kinds of food. Try it out and find out. I avoided all diary products, all big sources of carbohydrates and keep to a very healthy diet for a while (1-2 months, I think), then started eating a lot the same for another period, and compared - I saw no difference. In my experience stress and a lack of wellbeing contributes much more to acne outbreaks. And perhaps that is how many acne cure myths start - once you are on such a 'cure', you might feel better, thinking you are doing something that might help, and are therefore getting better.

eusa_clap.gif to all this replies, I wonder why fat ppl dont get acne? I have a research of people eating chocolate for months. Some of their conditions stayed the same, some got better n some got worsen. So go figure

i dunno, i think it all depends on the person. loadsa my mates eat crap n their skin is perfect. hmmm im confused. i eat 5 portions of fruit & veg a day n not much sugary foods n my face is spotty. i think its just bad genes and hormones personally. cry.gif

Just a quick post to warn everyone that, in my opinion, diet can have a really bad effect on acne.

Here's my story...

I've been taking b5 supplements for about 3 months now. For the past maybe 2.5 months I've also cut out wheat from my diet, too.

My cleansing routine involves washing my face twice a day with an oil free exfoliating wash from Clean & Clear, followed by a wash with 5% benzoyl peroxide.

I noticed as the weeks went by that I was getting fewer and fewer spots, and I would go a few days without even getting a little pimple.  eusa_dance.gif

So, in the run up to Christmas, I thought 'great, if I keep to my current diet and cleansing routine I'll be ready to go out on New Year's Eve!'

Christmas came and went without me having ANY chocolate at all, and hardly any new spots at all. But then disaster struck ...

With there being boxes and tins of chocolates in every room in the house, and with me feeling my skin wouldn't react to it, I decided to start eating a few chocolates now and again throughout the day.

The week right after Christmas Day turned into a huge week-long chocolate binge but by the end of the week after Christmas, I had only a few new spots, albeit larger ones than normal.

Since then, the number and size of spots on my face has increased rapidly. New Year's Eve was a complete no-show for me. I just stayed in.

The last few days of last week and the first of this week have been the worse.  cry.gif

So on Monday this week, I decided to never have refined sugar (i.e. chocolate, etc) again if it could be avoided. In addition to that, I'm still avoiding wheat and drinking tons of water every day.

After being totally demoralised and reclusive on Tuesday  ninja.gif , I'm now clearing up again and today I had just 2 new small pimples.  smile.gif

It was a truly harsh way of letting me know that chocolate really can cause terrible acne and I would quite happily never eat it again! I'm sure the effects of eating the chocolate were delayed, which lulled me into a false sense that I would be unaffected by the stuff.  rolleyes.gif

It's depressing to know that diet can have such an effect. My diet is soooo boring and restrictive now but I'm hoping it's worth it.  eusa_pray.gif

Have any of you had similar experiences?

I was always a firm believe that diet doesnt cause acne but I had a similar experience after Xmas.

I ate loads of sweets n stuff over Xmas and was fine,but it was about 4 weeks later I got a nasty breakout.Whether its  related or not Im not sure but I have my suspicion.

I was on accutane for 4 months n didnt eat any sweets at all n i still broke out so I just dont know.

What I found when I was on accutane is that my skin was very irritated from it,hence causing me to breakout even whilst on it.

Irritating the skin is a major part in acne and what you put on it could also play havoc with it.

I would recommend everyone to try water only for a month to see as it helped me alot,although there can be a bit of dead skin build up but that can be shrugged over in the shower.

Im starting a water only and moisturize routine tomorrow to see how that goes.

I know all this speculation is exciting to u but its genetics and horomones yall.    Think about it,  when did yall start having acne?  Check the thread I made about outgrowen acne.

Heres my story.

Nicky

The statement that diet cannot affect or cause acne is totally illogical.  What that says is that nothing you consume can cause acne, i.e. nothing you take into your body can have an adverse affect.  We all agree that eating certain foods can have a positive affect on our bodies, but we are supposed to simultaneously believe that foods can't have an adverse affect?  That's just silly, as anyone with a food allergy will tell you.

We know that certain drugs or other substances (B5) taken into the body can affect acne in a positive way.  Just because a substance that you put in your mouth is labeled "food" doesn't mean we suddenly stop looking at it's affects.

Anyway, a point that is usually missed is the fact that foods CAN aggrevate acne.  And if someone has all requirements to be an acne sufferer, but they are all just below the threshold to actually manifest as pimples, it's possible then that an aggrevating food can be enough to push system over the edge into visible acne.

Check this out. Got this from another website. This is mainly for men.

Dr. Stoll, can you explain just what occurs when an adolecent does indeed "outgrow" acne?

Posted by Brad on December 12, 2000 at 23:00:50:

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to a response. I hope I have not overlooked an archived explanation of this- and you have my deepest apologies if I have.

Brad

Hi, Brad.

The current theory is that, as soon as the bodymind adjusts to the adult hormone balance, the problem tends to disappear. It is the rapid changes that precipitate the problem in adolescence. Acne that persists, beyond adolescence, happens to those whose stress-effect storage is already so bad that the hormones STAY in a perpetual imbalance.

Walt

Every1 one is putting forward well structured opinions and some good theorys.

I accept that if u think certain foods aggrovate acne then stay clear of them by all means.

However my reserach shows that acne is genetic. Acne suffers have a gene that makes our pores collapes in on themselves, so we get a build up of sebum and bacteria breeds with it giving u a spot. No one knows exactly why this happens therefore there is no cure for acne at present.

My point is i am 100% clear on the regimen and i am still eating the same stuff as i have always eaten. i still have acne because i have tried comming of it a few times and i broke out.

I changed my diet for 18months once. Stayed away from fried foods and chocolate, DIDNT DO SHIT. i just made myself ill from not eatting enough food. I will admitt i think certain foods increase oil production but changing your diet dont stop your pores from collaping in on themselves so even your normal of amount sebum u r ment to have in your skin will give u spots if it gets trapped.

Nicky