Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Frogs

How common?

Hey, this isn't a specific thread about ndividual acne scarring, but more of a general one.

After noticing about 10 very shallow boxscars on my face, i began to panic and look into scar revision treatments. Then i realised that i haven't had any active acne for about 4 months, so these scars have probably been there a while and i only just noticed. I can also only see them under very bright lights if i tilt my face to a certain angle.

My acne wasn't even that bad, so i started looking at famous people to see the condition of their skin. It seems that most famous women have perfect skin (probably due to make-up), but most guys (Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp etc) have at least the odd box scar or mark on their face if you find a pictue of them in bright lights. I even discovered that David Beckham has a pretty deep scar on his left cheek. I hadn't noticed it on them, so i'm beginning to think maybe people don't notice it on me.

Anyway, i was wondering. Do most people, (guys in particular) have at least some scarring on their face left from acne, even very shallow boxscars? After all, it's rare to see someone with perfectly even skin. Are we comparing our scarring with perfection, or with reality?

Ice Pick and rolling scars are probably more noticable... but boxscars can often be very shallow and very faint. Is this "the norm" or something to worry about?

Any opinions/feedback would be appreciated.

I think it is fairly common for people who have had acne to be left with some scarring, but most people who visit this forum visit because they feel their scarring is worse than the norm, this being why they want to address it.

I've gone through the same process you have - took a few months for me to accept the fact that my face wasn't falling apart and I'll be ok as is. I wanted to do some revision at first, but from looking at other people, no adults have perfect skin.

I also think that people don't notice or don't care that much about scarring - after all I didn't notice till now that I probably had scars for the last few years.

I think having a positive atitude is much more important than worrying about the scars, for women having a guy with a bad or depressed attitude will turn them off quicker than any scar will. Scars don't matter in work (what does is your attitude), and they don't hurt, could be so much worse.

I am also now refusing to spend so much time worrying about the scars, when I could be putting my mental energy and precious time into something useful. I'm getting better at it day by day (worrying less that is). I am letting go, and moving on, after all you only have a limited amount of time to spend, I refuse to spend it worrying about something I can only improve by a limited amount.

I am mad about still having acne though eusa_boohoo.gif (I'm 25).

I've gone through the same process you have - took a few months for me to accept the fact that my face wasn't falling apart and I'll be ok as is.  I wanted to do some revision at first, but from looking at other people, no adults have perfect skin.

I also think that people don't notice or don't care that much about scarring - after all I didn't notice till now that I probably had scars for the last few years.

I think having a positive atitude is much more important than worrying about the scars, for women having a guy with a bad or depressed attitude will turn them off quicker than any scar will.  Scars don't matter in work (what does is your attitude), and they don't hurt, could be so much worse.

I am also now refusing to spend so much time worrying about the scars, when I could be putting my mental energy and precious time into something useful.  I'm getting better at it day by day (worrying less that is).  I am letting go, and moving on, after all you only have a limited amount of time to spend, I refuse to spend it worrying about something I can only improve by a limited amount.

I am mad about still having acne though  eusa_boohoo.gif  (I'm 25).

When I was down in New Orleans for my dermabrasion, we had a couple of days before it to go check the area out. I tend to look at peoples skin ALOT because I am so obsessed with my own. I'm a people watcher too and there were tons of people there and I noticed a few things. What I saw was probably 6 out of every 10 people had either very mild acne (3 zits here or there, more or less), moderate, severe, or had some type of acne scarring. Wierd? eusa_think.gif

Not weird at all to me, or probably certain other geeky science nerds. New Orleans is, at least in part, below sea level and is located in the southern part of Dumbf*ckistan, therefore it tends to be very hot and humid. And as someone that lives in the "other" gator/ trailer/mosquito-infested Dumbf*ckiswamp*, I can attest to the fact that humidity usually makes acne worse. Also, the tendency that people of European ancestry have in warm climates to get sun damaged skin could account for much worse scarring.

*this is an asterisk

Not weird at all to me, or probably certain other geeky science nerds. New Orleans is, at least in part, below sea level and is located in the southern part of Dumbf*ckistan, therefore it tends to be very hot and humid. And as someone that lives in the "other" gator/ trailer/mosquito-infested Dumbf*ckiswamp*, I can attest to the fact that humidity usually makes acne worse. Also, the tendency that people of European ancestry have in warm climates to get sun damaged skin could account for much worse scarring.

*this is an asterisk

I have to say Oldguy, i've been following your skin progress gallery, and i see a big improvement. When i see your face, i don't even think "Oh, scars". I just thought i'd let you know i don't think it's nearly as bad as you probably imagine. Then again, i wouldn't want you to leave acne.org, as it's great to read your posts and experiences.

Oldguy - I couldn't agree with you more about the climate. I have been saying for years that my ancestors probably came from a coldler, dryer climate and the skin that I inherited has not evolved to accomodate the changes. I would move if I could!