Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shaft

Second round of accutane?

About a year ago I started my first round of roaccutane. I had pretty bad breakouts on my back and on my face, which the accutane stopped nicely.. I had about 5 months of pretty much acne-free skin in the end. A few minor breakouts here and there, consisting of maybe one or two small zits was really it.

I felt really good you know. I have had acne for about 6 years and I've been really self conscious of it for about 4. I became more out going and it helped me a lot.

Then three weeks ago, the acne came back. So far my back has been pretty much spared from it, maybe two-three pimples tops, but my face is worse off. I've had two pretty big cysts and a lot of smaller ones, mainly concentrated on my jaw.

So now, I am really considering a second round of accutane. I'm at my wits end about treating the condition. In the past I've used a lot of things, tetracycline, the regimen, salicylic acid and such with no permanent luck. But since I've gotten cysts(which I did get before accutane too) I'm a bit hesitant to be doing topicals. Really, what are my alternatives? Is there anyone where who has gotten good and lasting results with the second round? Or will it all be just like the first time, with great results that aren't permanent?

This is my thrid time on Accutane and I know how frustrating it is when it comes back. The hiatus in between courses was amazing and I know what you mean when you say it totally increases your confidence level. I would strongly recommend you taking a second course if like you say it's coming back even worse. Although the success rate is approx 80%, my derm told me that some people require two or three courses of Accutane to get rid of acne once and for all. I can't promise you that this will never happen to you again (there are no 100% guarantees with this drug), but I will tell you that I never regretted taking Accutane for a minute. It really is the only drug that's been effective for me and over the past 12 yrs I've taken pretty much every antibiotic and topical out there. Good luck on whatever you decide.