Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Craigems

Supplements and Acne: Creatine.

Guest Craigems

Okay well I was asked by someone (Arpazia) to do some information in relation to sports supplements and their relation if any to Acne. Well i've been doing lots of research into these areas because i'm studying Sports Nutrition at Uni, and i wanna help those guys who wanna lift weights without breaking out as a result of certain supplements. (being an avid Gym Junkie myself)

First Supplement I was interested in, and it seems a bit mixed in opinion whether it causes acne or not. Personally i think some supplements MAY help with some other factors increase your acne as i personally have experienced and experimented with myself in regards to this.

OKAY CUT THE CRAP HERE'S THE VERDICT ON CREATINE

As a result in research in this field i have read many different ways people think creatine might cause Acne. (Non of this is definate and not medically proven BUT is highly likely)

Advantages of taking Creatine short term:

1. Build mass quickly

2. Lift heavier objects quicker than normal

3. Best thing safest thing to take before having to take some sort of steroids.

Disadavantages

1. Hightens the level of Testosterone in your body. - Testosterone is proven to play some role in acne, and those with higher levels tend to get more acne. Now if your an Acne sufferer, more testosterone in your body isnt probably the best thing your are after at this time.

2. Dehydration of the muscles - Creatine takes the water from body fluids and the skin which in turn is absorbed into the muscles to replenish the muscle tissue. This allows the athlete to recuperate from workouts more quickly, Yet leaving the skin more oily as a result of the skin trying to put moisture back into the skin.

3. Rejection of Creatine - If your body rejects the creatine supplement or taking too much creatine (whether liquid or powder form) it needs to excrete the excess Phosphatecreatine supply found in the muscles out into the bloody supply or the skin causing it to irritate the skin.

These are just some of the reasons why I think people should avoid creatine whilst on accutane or on other medications due to acne.

HOWEVER some people do not get acne as a result from taking Creatine. It's really strange, some people can get serious outbreaks of acne from taking it, yet others (generally those that dont have acne problems previously) dont get one spot.

Personal accounts for taking creatine and acne can be found here... (good read)

- http://www.nutritionalsupplements.com/creatineR51.html

Any questions, i'm interested to know peoples opinion on this supplement because personally i havent tried it but i have heard alot of Pro's and Con's with regards to Creatine. ninja.gif

I have never used Creatine by friends of mine have. A couple still do some don’t. I will most likely never use it. To me it’s very just feels fake. I can’t argue that it doesn’t work, because it does allow you lift more and give you visible results, very fast. But like I was saying I think it’s fake because if you stop taking it for a week you lose anything you gain and it’s like you never took it. From what I hear it’s also pricy. The real long term effects of taking Creatine supplements aren’t known yet. That’s how I feel about it. Hope that helps some.

Craig, thank you, thank you for posting this information. I just see questions regarding supplements, Accutane and working out so many times that it helps to have a post to link everyone to when they ask. You rock! eusa_clap.gif

Guest Craigems
I can’t argue that it doesn’t work, because it does allow you lift more and give you visible results, very fast. But like I was saying I think it’s fake because if you stop taking it for a week you lose anything you gain and it’s like you never took it. From what I hear it’s also pricy. The real long term effects of taking Creatine supplements aren’t known yet. That’s how I feel about it. Hope that helps some.

what are you talking about? I've read a lot about creatine, and it does nothing to your hormone (testosterone) levels. creatine is naturally in your muscles anyway, it's in a lot of foods too in small amounts at least. the creatine in your muscles gets depleted when your working out, and when its totally depleted they become fatigue. if you take a creatine supplement, your muscles can last longer, give you better endurance, and a better workout.

maybe i missed something, but what i read said that it had nothing to do with hormones, I'll find the link. If I'm wrong, correct me and give me a link to where you saw it, I'm thinking of taking it sometime so I'm interested in learning more about it..

btw more testosterone =/= more acne. testosterone levels that are not stable can cause acne.

First off, taking Creatine is like cheating on an exam. I have no respect for anyone who says they lift, and take Creatine. It does all those things mentioned before hand, but the way it's building muscle is by adding water to that area. As a result, you get bigger, but it's not firm, it's gross soft, and as soon as you stop taking it, you lose whatever you gained from it. It's like: Oh, man,I need to pee *tinkle tinkle* Oh NO! My Bicep!

creatine is not just for the water retention and pump or whatever you want to call it, it gives you more endurance so you could have a longer, better workout so you could makes actual gains faster

I dont take Creatine cause Ive heard it affects athletic performance (kills your cardio).

What about Protein powders? Can they have an affect on Acne?

Guest Craigems

Lifting weights in general generates greater testosterone. By increasing testosterone, the athlete can theoretically increase their strength. So by taking a substance like Creatine, which in turn builds muscles increases your testosterone levels to accomodate increased muscle strength and size.

Yes Creatine is in the muscles naturally, its part of the ATP/PC energy system which allows for muscles to do very quick things and very heavy for the first 10 or so seconds, then the lactic acid system kicks in. When you have more Creatine in your system your muscles recouperate faster therefore your resting time between sets is much shorter.

So when looking at Creatine, YOU DONT just look at the substance but you need to also consider your body when taking it. What i mean by this is that CREATINE in itself doesnt increase testosterone ITSELF, BUT as a result of your muscles becomming larger and stronger more testosterone in the blood is produced. So when looking at the substance as a whole creatine as an adverse affect does create more testosterone, hence so does WHEY protein and roid's (even tho roids are sythesised testosterone in it self).

I will try and find a link which descibes this exactly. But when looking at sites about creatine they more go into the detail of how it works and the results voila bigger muscle mass quickly. But are a little brief on the body as a whole in conjuction with testosterone increases which in turn comes with bigger muscle tissue. (i'm more combining ideas that i have learnt and the facts of the substances which is theoretically correct to my understanding but i might not be entirely correct but majority it seems right). As i said personally i havent taken it myself so i cannot claim a first hand account on the side effects.

Well if you have an inbalance of testosterone ... more testosterone isnt better.... >?

ok, well regular working out could make you break out just or almost as much as if your taking creatine then, your still working out, building muscle, and there's still testosterone, just with creatine there is a little more since your working out more. makes sense

I don't understand your last statement, I never said more tesotsterone is bad, it doesn't matter how much testosterone you have, but an inbalance of it can cause breakouts

Guest Craigems

yeh it wasnt a statement it was more rhetorical lol. I dont really know about the whole testosterone imbalance thing. I was just saying well if theres is an increase in testosterone and you have an inbalance already more testosterone to an already inbalanced system could probably make it worse. Just makes sense to me that if you already have this inbalance why screw it up more.

As far as i'm aware in general working out without supplements i found personally i started off getting a lil worse with my acne, then when i hit that plateu, my acne eased off ... thats when i started with protein etc and then boom again it goes. I'll start another thread referring to protein later.