Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
happyb

Restylane Lumpiness

I just learned, to my chagrin, how technique-dependent a filler like Restylane can really be!

I've been getting Restylane injections for the past year in NYC and although the effects dissipated within about 5-6 weeks, on me, I always loved the result. It filled in my rolling scars on cheeks beautifully. However, I recently moved to to a small university town and went to the local plastic surgeon. My first mistake was letting him talk me into doubling the amount of Restylane I was used to getting, because then it would "last longer" and be "cheaper in the long run." Then, instead of injecting in the middle of the area that needed plumped up, he seemed to miss the spot every time, on top of which.... he injected too shallowly, which caused a wide variety of unsightly BUMPS clearly visible just under the skin! Needless to say, I feel I got a horrible result. Massaging isn't helping -- 2 weeks later it's just as bad.

Has this happened to anyone else and what do you do while waiting for the stuff to go away?

Now I am really leery of local docs. I was interested in Sculptra but am now not sure.... what if you get someone as ham-handed as this guy, and have to live with the result a very long time?

Wat is the correct way to perform the injection?

Do they place the needle into the scar? Or do they do it a little away from the scar ....

Do they place the needle into the scar? Or do they do it a little away from the scar ....

Dont worry, it will get better within a couple more weeks.

Restylane should last longer than 5-6 weeks though.

3-6 months is more likely.

Hi, my surgeon overfilled some places in my temples as well. It must be very difficult to make it look right on the very thin skin in that temple region, since my cheeks came out quite well. Call your doc's office and tell them what happened and he can easily remove some of it and smooth the lumps. (I am 99% sure they would not charge you or make you wait long for an appointment.) Personally, I didn't do what I just suggested, because a few smallish lumps did not bother me like the pits did/do. Btw, I still have maybe 50% of the Restylane left after 5 months. I have probably said this 5 times or more here so sorry if I’m redundante*, redundante*1, but anyone considering Sculptra or any long-lasting filler should consider “auditioning� their surgeon or derm with a syringe of Restylane or collagen.

* It’s French, b*tch ~ Steven Colbert

*1 this is a secret message

The idea of "auditioning" with a less-risky filler before something like Sculptra is a great idea... thanks. But I'll try that with someone else!

I know that the length of time Restylane corrects for me is very short, compared to what the claims are... but I haven't minded as long as I had the result I wanted, as long as it lasted. And then the bad result seems not to want to dissipate. Oh well Live and learn!

If anyone has a mechanical technique (massage? hot compresses? anything?) that has worked to reduce lumpiness after a filler, I'd love to know about it.

Thanks!

Hi, my surgeon overfilled some places in my temples as well. It must be very difficult to make it look right on the very thin skin in that temple region, since my cheeks came out quite well. Call your doc's office and tell them what happened and he can easily remove some of it and smooth the lumps. (I am 99% sure they would not charge you or make you wait long for an appointment.) Personally, I didn't do what I just suggested, because a few smallish lumps did not bother me like the pits did/do. Btw, I still have maybe 50% of the Restylane left after 5 months. I have probably said this 5 times or more here so sorry if I’m redundante*, redundante*1, but anyone considering Sculptra or any long-lasting filler should consider “auditioning� their surgeon or derm with a syringe of Restylane or collagen.

* It’s French, b*tch ~ Steven Colbert

*1 this is a secret message

This should have been a flag for me... the PS said as he was starting to inject... "the sales guys for Restylane were just in here and they said the way to make this last longer is to inject just under the skin... not under the subcutaneous fat layer, like most of us have been doing..." So I think he was trying out something new by injecting that shallowly, just based on what the sales force was recommending. But I knew, from experience, how it worked best on me. I should have spoken up loud and clear!

Placement is pretty important. Usually they inject from the side of a depression until they see the needle just under the spot that needs plumped up, then they depress the plunger and leave a "trail" as the needle is pulled out. What I learned from this is that I ought to watch with a mirror as the injections are placed, until/unless I have total faith in the doctor's technique and aesthetic sense.

This should have been a flag for me... the PS said as he was starting to inject... "the sales guys for Restylane were just in here and they said the way to make this last longer is to inject just under the skin... not under the subcutaneous fat layer, like most of us have been doing..."  So I think he was trying out something new by injecting that shallowly,  just based on what the sales force was recommending.  But I knew, from experience, how it worked best on me.  I should have spoken up loud and clear! 

Placement is pretty important.  Usually they inject from the side of a depression until they see the needle just under the spot that needs plumped up, then they depress the plunger and leave a "trail" as the needle is pulled out.  What I learned from this is that I ought to watch with a mirror as the injections are placed, until/unless I have total faith in the doctor's technique and aesthetic sense.

I have a sort of Restylane thread here that might be of interest.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...78entry302178

Even I know that Restylane is not supposed to be injected under the subcutaneous fat layer, and I'm not a doctor. (Although I sometimes like to play dress up. user posted image) If they inject it too shallow, it will have a bluish tint. I watched my surgeon so attentively in the hand mirror when he injected me that I actually would feel comfortable doing it on myself, as far as the technique. It stung quite a bit though near my eye so that wouldn’t be wise, though. heh. And of course, hit a nerve and it’s all over. Unless you want to have a blank Cher-stare. neutral.gif