Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
just_imagine82

Your Opinion: tanning and red marks

Hey Taners,

Something has been bugging me, so I figured I'd post and see what you guys have to say.

I'm on my 11th week now and I think it's JUST starting to work. Breakouts are less frequent, but still occurring. I have to say that I'm often quite frustrated. I'm trying to be optimistic. I really want this to work for me... I'm seeing small improvement, but nothing "dramatic" yet. Anyways...

My issue is, that since being on Tane, my skin tone has changed a LOT. I have always had olive-toned skin; people say I look tanned all year round because of it. I have the type of skin where I hardly ever burn and I tan fairly easily. Or should I say, I HAD that type of skin! Since being on Accutane, it's as if the colour has drained out of my face. I admit that I used to visit tanning beds previous winters, but very infrequently - probably once a month. I haven't been tanning since August and the colour of my skin has changed SO much. I went from having tan, yellow-toned skin to being ghostly pale with an odd rosy cast. To give you girls a better picture, my makeup used to be in the "golden beige" colour range, and now it is Ivory. IVORY! WTF? I have never used any makeup in the colour Ivory in my entire life!

This isn't just me being vain, other people are noticing it too and asking me if I'm sick or tired. It's Thursday today and I've been asked 3 TIMES at school this week, "are you okay?" or "You look really tired", when I've been totally fine. It's really frustrating, and I'm positive it's because I look so deathly pale all the time. When I look in the mirror, it's like I'm this chalky ghost! When I'm at work (where we have to wear all black), I look sooo washed out, plus my hair is naturally blonde, so it's like being extra void of colour, LOL. And yes, I've tried all kinds of different blush shades to give me some cheek colour - it sort of works, but also accentuates my worst area of red marks (the upper cheeks), and I hate that almost as much as being so pale.

Okay to the main point of my post --> I am convinced that because my skin is whiter, my red marks look a lot worse. I was looking back at pictures of myself this summer, when my acne was HORRIBLE but I had a nice tan, and my marks are pretty much invisible. Now, even though my face is smoother, my makeup can barely cover the marks, and I can see them in my family Christmas pictures from this year. I look like I have visibly worse skin now than I did before, even though I'm on Accutane! I'm starting to get convinced that having a tan really was hiding a lot of flaws.

I know that tanning is bad for you and all that, I dont need a lecture on that wink.gif , and I know that it supposedly keeps your marks around longer. But if it hides so much, I feel like my self-confidence would be so much better if I could get my normal skin colour back. I'm seriously considering hitting up the tanning beds, and starting really slowly since my skin is a lot more sensitive now, not to mention not used to UV light...

So to anyone who wants to respond, does the sun help your skin look better? Do you notice a difference when you're tanned? Have you noticed your red marks being more visible because you haven't been out in the sun? Do you have any stories you could tell me to somehow convince me to hold off for another couple months?

Alright guys, thanks for listening to my rant of the day.. *sigh*

Mae

Hey Mae, How about a mystic tan? I think you should stay away from tanning beds. Just my opinion. My daughter is olive skinned and she got really pale also. Towards the end she started using New Complexion by Revlon and she told me that she thought that really helped her paleness. She used a medium beige color. She never went down to an ivory color makeup even though that might have matched her skin color. It would have looked out of place with the rest of her body.

She tanned before a special formal event but she was mostly interested in getting her body a little darker. It worked for her with no adverse affects. It did nothing for her red marks. She started off really slowly and only did it for a few days. I hope this helps a little.

Guest Craigems

Okay i know i'm a guy n all but i'll just give you a little insight to what my derm said, with this whole Accutane skin changing colour thing and red marks etc.

He told me to go out into the sun. (i hear you all Gasp)... but wait he told me not to go into direct midday sun, but morning and afternoon sun when the damaging effects are minimized greatly. I know its hard for alot of your northerners coz you dont have sun pretty much all the time, so i really cant help you guys in that respect. But i personally have to say the "red-ness" of my miserable past acne is fading very very quickly. (i am the same i'm lucky i Tan at the drop of a coin, and basically dont get burnt even on the tane).

The reason why almost everyones skin goes "WHITE and PASTY" during Accutane is due to the skin having less contact with the sun due to alot of people staying out of the sun altogther. I know this first hand coz there was this girl at my work who was on Accutane also and she was a GHOST, but as soon as she's stopped and shes been in the sun a lil more her skin complexion has changed heaps. Almost within a month of stopping her treatment i know if she stopped for a month b4 she went and got a bit of sun or what but she looks real healthy now.

Anyways I have found like i said that the sun reduces the appearance of my red spots, and even my derm actually admits it reduces the time it takes for the redness to disappear!

Guest Craigems

Yes, thats why i was referring to my country and the sun when i was saying that. I didnt mention anything to do with tanning booths. I think they r a waste of time personally.

Thanks for the thoughts, you two! Boston, it makes me feel a bit better knowing that your daughter is experiencing the same thing. God I am seriously sooo white right now. When I look in the mirror it is so obvious to me. I think this is because my natural skin tone is just NEVER this pale.. it looks so unnatural on me for this reason. I feel like I look unhealthy!! Like I never step outside or something!

Craigems, yah, hard for me right now to enjoy the warmth/sunshine, as it is -8C outside right now, brrr wink.gif But it's sunny actually. Not exactly a warm, tanning kind of sunshine though, haha.

I never thought of Mystic Tan, that's actually a great idea... but I'm concerned, does it clog your pores? I might kinda freak about stuff being sprayed on my face. I'll have to look into this.

As for the sun/red marks debate, I've never had a doctor tell me the sun helps, they have all said the exact opposite. But I do know that in my personal experience, my face looks a lot clearer and tends to break out less in the summer months. My mom always tells me that the sun helps. So I guess that it is unknown. But I need to do something about my skin right now, since the ghostly appearance I have is making me look drained and sickly!

If I do go tanning (and I'll start of veeery slow, like your daughter Boston), I'll report back any changes...

Thanks again!

Mae

I find my skin looks better in the summer, too. Feels like the sun reduces hoe oily my skin is. Maybe Im crazy. I don't have to worry about sun for a while, though. I live in Alberta (Canada), and it's been at least -40 degress celcius all week. Fun!

Guest Craigems

okay well i'm getitting +40c (metric) every day i'm dying with the heat but my face is looking remarkable smile.gif