Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snowwhite

finally on roaccutane

Well, I am totally new to this message board. Please be patient with me, as I will probably post things in the wrong place etc etc for a while (I hope not, but I am just warning you all ahead of time). I have been reading up on all the posts/regimes of so many of you for the last few weeks now, and have decided to take the plunge and sign up eusa_clap.gif

So, where do I start.....I am on Day 20 (or around that....)....but I guess I should give you a little history first........

I am probably one of the older members here.....29 (YIKES !!!! Does that sound old or what ? ) In the last 15 or so years I have suffered with acne. At the age of 14 or so, it wasn't too serious, but it gradually worsened....hormones...I blame HORMONES cry.gif

I tried antibiotics, topical solutions, dietary changes, Diane -35 (for over 10 yrs or more).....and even Zenmed (which helped for about 3 months, and then I seemed to develop a resistance to it).............and now, here I am .....ROACCUTANE. Finally.

Anyway, I can relate to so much that I have read on these boards.....the frustration, the anxiety, the anger etc .....

Here I am Day 20....and most of my face has improved...except I have one mother of all cysts/boils or whatever you want to call IT.....on my chin (kinda hard to hide). This is the nature of my acne though - cystic - particularly on my chin.........so awful, so difficult to deal with........and so painful. I have the biggest one of my life on my chin, and I am seriously hoping that this is it...the initial breakout .....because if i get another one like this, I am not venturing out until they clear up a bit. Other side-effects so far are: dry lips, dry eyes and a bit of muscle pain in my lower back and legs.....but nothing serious.

Thanks to everyone for posting and making me feel that I am not alone...and that there is hope for a cure for my terrible skin.........

Welcome snowwhite!

I have started accutane like 20 days before you... The side effects arent at all so bad as I thought they would be. The only thing that bothers me is losing lots more hair. My lips are drier, but it isn't really that bad. I noticed a minor improvement in acne the since i started, pimples calmed down, skin tone is lots better. Just that I also keep on getting cysts on my chin, and it sucks! Its like in a way its not acne, cause it starts so deep in the skin, and i cant really connect it with the theory of oil blocking pores... Oh well smile.gif

Greets, Semme

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.....

Semme, thanks for the support - cysts are just the worst. I wish I had small pimples.....I have a cyst that just amounts to about 30 pimples ! I hate IT. I tell you, in my office, they are going to start asking IT for an ID badge when I walk in the mornings. I think IT is stable, it is not any bigger...but it shows no signs of leaving either. And it is sore.

On a better note, the rest of my face has improved...skin tone is more even, and the pores on my nose have improved (they are getting smaller). I feel a bit flushed from time to time. Lips are fine....but that could be because I am using HEAPS of lip stuff.

My hair is ok...I think....but it is a bit thinner maybe. I do believe today is DAY 21 .......and surely the cyst should go away one of these days ?

I am on 60mg a day by the way. I go back to the Dermatologist on Jan 24.

Paul, good to know that you are going through the same things ...it really helps to know others are out there.......

will update this evening when I get home.

ciao ciao

wishing you all COURAGE for the day...............(I keep telling myself it is WHAT IS INSIDE THAT COUNTS!!! ) eusa_angel.gif

ok, sorry me again....I need some hope here...........how LONG until this cyst on my face starts to clear ? It just seems like it will never ever go away.

It is DAY 21 now.........and I am fed up with feeling so miserable and self-conscious. It has been a while since I have had anything like this on my face....it has a life of its own.

anyone out there with any ideas on the life span of something like this ?

URGHHH !!!!!!!!!!!! cry.gif

Day 31..............and I can give you all some hope...........

The giant cyst is getting smaller by the day...it is still there, but less than half the size, not painful or red anymore....just there. The rest of my skin is doing fine - I look constantly flushed, my skin is a lot drier, but I really can't complain.

I have had sore eyes, to the point that I have been taking some antibiotic eyedrops....but hey, not so bad that I wouldn't take accutane.

Today I went to the dermatologist and had to have the routine blood work done. Find out on Wednesday if the results are good.

Oh, I am still on 60mgs a day....20 in the am and 40mgs at night.

'Tane has done more for me in one month than anything else has done for me EVER.

just thought i would give you all an update, and some positive feedback.

ciao

Hi Snowwhite,

How's it going? Hope the 'big un' has disappeared back where it belongs!!!

I started the tane roughly the same time as you (26th Dec) due to my lovely giant cysts which are a right pain!! I have a lovely one on

my jaw at the moment that has been there for 2 weeks..I think it kinda likes me wink.gif

I'm still on 25mg & will be upped to 60mg next week (fingers crossed)

Here's to a cyst free face wink.gif Keep us updated!!

Karrie x

eusa_angel.gif

Hi everyone.......

Well, it has been a while since I updated my little "journal".....to be honest, things have settled down quite nicely.....ok.....here is the listing of things that i have noticed at the moment....(I have been on the 'tane for 6 or 7 weeks, since Dec 24)

1. sore lips....red, peeling, and cracked at the sides....and I have almost every lip product known to man.....carmex...which burns (although the like the texture), a creamy Louis Widmer chapstick (European brand....which now leaves white yucky patches ....urghhh......), neutrogena...liquid type stuff which doesn't really work, Neals Yard Lip Balm (not really lasting at all, although organic eusa_angel.gif ), and finally, Lancome Juicy Tubes stuff...which I like.....(HELP, YIKES...I am spending a fortune...I can't get Aquaphor here ....I like in Antwerp, Belgium)

2. Red patches on my neck....like a flushed look.....

3. Flushed face (look like I have a suntan)

4. Still have THE CYST....yes, it likes me too (hey, Karrie, it seems that these things don't disappear overnight..... cry.gif ) but it is getting smaller and smaller......

I think I will just be so happy the day I don't have it anymore.

5. my eyes are also red, dry etc...and I sometimes have to put in medicated drops as I feel as if I am getting an eye infection.

6.......nothing else really.......oh I seem to have lost weight...I just don't like fatty stuff ...I can't seem to tolerate it like I used to..........(this is a good thing !!!

7. my hair is drier....but ok.

Ok that is it from this side....Oh, and despite all of this, I think 'tane is just the BEST.

I haven't got results like this in all the years of things I have tried....and I mean all the things........DIANE 35, Antibiotics, Liquid nitrogen on my face, Topical stuff, you name it, I did it.

take care everyone out there on the same path..........

mail if you have any questions/comments.

cheers, and have a brilliant w-end.

ciao

Lucy

hi snowwhite..just wanted to say i enjoy your log because our acne sounds a bit similar. I started breaking out as a teenager but know at 2age 4 the acne has morphed into cysts. The cysts are predominately on the lower half of my face. I'm wondering did the Diane clear you up? We don't have diane in the states...but i did try spiro. for 5 months- did nothing. Now i'm on accutane- just two weeks in.

Be careful about using so may lip products- could make them more red. My lips are sensitive to begin with so i use just one lip balm. I do have aquaphor ready when i need it. Can you order aquaphor at your pharmacy? Ask about it

As for that evil cyst- I know all about those lingering enemies. Have you ever gotten them injected? It hurts a bit- but helps a bunch. Good luck!!!

Hey Curly Q,

thanks for the post....so good to hear that there are others out there with similar problems (ok, it is obvious that there are so many people out there with skin issues....but when people talk about it, somehow it makes it all feel easier to deal w, ith).......well, the cyst thing.......I call remember being at school (like when I was 16 or so) and getting some really horrible cysts...and other girls would be so mean...and make horrible comments, or treat you like you are a leper. Not a nice experience. I was on Diane 35 from the age of 15.....and I can honestly say that it NEVER cleared my skin. I was still getting big pimples (some cystic...deep and sore) even into my 20s.....and here I am at 29 (yikes) and I wish I had tried accutane earlier....because in one month I have had more results than in 8 yrs or so (a whole 8 yrs, no break) on Diane 35. I guess it helps some people with less severe acne, or should I say, less cystic...but for me, it didn't work... at least not well enough to justify 1. the cost 2. the hormonal aspect etc.

anyway, thanks for posting, and feel free to ask any other questions....well i will always try to answer.

hope your skin settles soon.....some days i think mine looks much better, and then the next, it seems to look really inflamed....and bumpy.

i will ask @ the chemist re the aquaphor. sounds like miracle stuff. think i need it.

later,

Lucy

Hi Lucy...glad to hear your skins doing so well & the cyst is shrinking..YAY!!

You're right...it's sooo good to hear from people in the same boat skinwise, the people on here are really cool!!

Mine's still going strong, it's in such a crap place too...right at the side of my chin

It's been there for 2 weeks already & shows no sign of shrinking yet...that's got to be some kind of record, I feel I should get an award or something like you do for growing prize vegetables. smile.gif

Anyway take care & hope you had a nice w/end

Kx

Hey .....

Karrie, I have to laugh........your post about getting an award or something...LOL biggrin.gif

i do know how you feel .............and let me tell you that that GIANT mother of all cysts that I had lasted more than 2 wks...hell, I still have it (ok, so it is smaller, and getting smaller...but hey, it is STILL there).....the giant stage lasted about 2 wks...so we are both up for the same award ......... smile.gif

Mine was also on my chin...and somedays I didn't want to go to work...so embarrassing....I thought that the security guard was going to ask for a separate access badge for my cyst.......... shock.gif

seriously, it was just GROSS.

anyway, chin up,

have a great day..............

ciao

Lucy

Hey .....

Karrie, I have to laugh........your post about getting an award or something...LOL biggrin.gif

i do know how you feel .............and let me tell you that that GIANT mother of all cysts that I had lasted more than 2 wks...hell, I still have it (ok, so it is smaller, and getting smaller...but hey, it is STILL there).....the giant stage lasted about 2 wks...so we are both up for the same award ......... smile.gif

Mine was also on my chin...and somedays I didn't want to go to work...so embarrassing....I thought that the security guard was going to ask for a separate access badge for my cyst.......... shock.gif

seriously, it was just GROSS.

anyway, chin up,

have a great day..............

ciao

Lucy

well, Tuesday ....has come and nearly gone....and my skin is getting better each day....well, generally better.....It seems as if the skin tone is better....and people are starting to comment on how much better it is looking....(apart from THE cyst of course).

My eyes are a bit red and irritated....but hey, c'est la vie. you can't have everything.

lips are ok......going out to hunt for Aquaphor tomorrow......

My hair feels different.....each strand feels thicker, and kinda rougher....weird....i guess it is drying out. have to keep you posted on that though....

Well, take care everyone,

Karrie, cheers for the post !!! You make me laugh....at least we can still laugh about it (JUST..... eusa_eh.gif ) ..... keep me posted on the life and times of IT.....maybe we should give them names........feel like i have known mine all my life. cry.gif

bye.......

Lucy

Hiya Lucy biggrin.gif lol..I refuse to name it, that THING doesn't deserve a name. (Maybe Lucifer?!?!) wink.gif

...glad to see everything is going well skinwise..

The dry eyes are a buggar aren't they!! (let me know if you find any good drops)

I've had a bit of shrinkage on my extra chin, so i didn't have an injection today at my derm appointment. eusa_dance.gif

Good luck with the Aquaphor, I think it may be from the U.S so I'm not sure if they have it over here or not.

Hopefully some nice U.S peeps will take pity on us & our disintegrating lips &

offer to ship us some??? eusa_boohoo.gifeusa_whistle.gifwink.gif Erm seriously....Anyone???

I'll keep my eyes peeled (horrible expression)

Take care

Kx

Well Aquaphor is not available in Belgium - Eucerin is, but Aquaphor isn't. NICE.

The one thing I want is not available. ***t happens........

I don't know why it is like that.........but it is. c'est la vie.

I am gonna try and track some down from the UK.....does anyone know if you can get Aquaphor in the UK ?

Karrie, where do you live ?

I lived in South Africa for about 18 yrs......and now live in Belgium....

anyway, gotta go......not much else going on.......eyes still sore....natural tears do nothing for me......... cry.gif

yeah, Karrie,

signing out..........Lucifer and I need some rest......... (LOL)

Pretty good choice actually........

ciao, later,

Lucy

eusa_angel.gif

Nearly 9 wks on 'Tane.......yip, Friday will be 9 full weeks.

Just wondering..........

I seem to have a rash on my hands and arms....It does respond to creams etc...but before it does, it takes about a week or more to get better.....It is red, and I have dry, raised little bumps....almost like a rash from the sun. It doesn't hurt, but it is sensitive.

I have little ezcema like patches near my shoulders and neck area.....all dryness I guess. I wanted to see if anyone out there has been through the same.........

Weird. My skin has improved a lot (ie. on my face) but the rest seems to be sore, red, dry...you name it, I have it.

hope to hear from you if you have something like this, or have had it.

L

x

Hi Lucy, hope you're doing well!! smile.gif

I'm from Manchester UK & we can't get the aquaphor over here either...GRRR evil.gif

Haven't had a rash yet but my hands have been feeling a little itchy this past week,

I've got a load of E45 ready just incase.

Swapped moisturiser yesterday, now using the Olay TE...WOW!!! Massive improvement on my face, I still haven't found anything decent for my lips though.

Take care

Kx

Day 103 (I think)...........

about three and a half months gone ...and JUST 2 and a half to go.......and i cannot wait to get off this stuff.

I guess everything is going well........rashes have disappeared.....but I still have very sensitive lips (always peeling, flaking and sore) and my skin is flushed looking. Skin on the whole is smoother and clearer. People are commenting at how good my skin is looking - which is, I believe the first time in my life that i have received compliments about my skin.

My hair is dry but the dermatologist has reassured me that this will go away once the treatment stops.

For the time being I am using

1. Cetaphil cleanser for sensitive skin

2. Enydrial (ROC) moisturizer for face

and the really rich Enydrial for body too

3. I had Purifac (also ROC) - well I still have it - but I don't use it as it is for combination skin and at the moment I certainly don't have combination skin.

and that is it. Actually a great feeling not having to try a 1000 different acne solutions and cures...............oh, I wear contact lenses...and it is actually going fine - got great eye drops (hyabak).....and they do the trick.

Have some muscle aches (mainly in my legs ) in the evenings but nothing too bad.

Not many other things to report................

Karrie, will reply on your journal....

Take care everyone, hope the 'tane journey is going ok with everyone.

Lucy

eusa_angel.gif