Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HC9

How to get rid of oil?

This probably isn't the place to put this but how can I reduce the oil on my face? I am on mino an tazorac (does tazorac make you more oily?) I also have started doing the baking soda and apple cider vinegar regimen every other night. Yet the oil still continues pretty badly. What could I do to rid myself of this oil? Oh yeah I also moisturize w/ Cetaphil moisturizer. Is accutane my only hope for reducing the oil?

Hi! You are absolutely posting this in the right forum. All we do all day is talk about prescription acne drugs - - aren’t we exciting?!? lol.gif

The only products that will get rid of oil are retinoids. Everything else either speeds up exfoliation or kills bacteria. Tazorac is a new retinoid that is used for more mild acne so it should be making you less oily. Retin-A and Accutane are other examples of retinoids. They are relatives of Vitamin A and work by decreasing the amount of oil your body secrets and the size of the sebaceous glands. If the Tazorac isn’t working for you, try Retin-A. Accutane is usually reserved for people with severe cystic and/or stubborn acne and the cost and side-effects that go along with it aren’t very desirable.

Baking soda and vinegar methods are commonly used to treat hyperpigmentation (the red marks left behind when the acne goes away). I’m not sure how much success you will have at decreasing the amount of oil by using these products. Vinegar is probably very good at killing bacteria, though.

A lot of people on this forum (including myself until recently) have found Cetaphil moisturizer to be too greasy. Unlike its sister-cleanser, Cetaphil moisturizer does seem to aggravate breakouts for certain people. Unfortunately, for many of us, it’s all trial and error and finding the right skincare product that works for us. Here is a link to a thread regarding moisturizers. I hope it gives you some good tips. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=39182

eh, i don't know, i'm pretty sure retin-a micro makes my face a LOT more oily than it is normally. a lot of other people have said the same thing too.

HC9: what do you use to wash your face?

Retinoids are supposed to help with oily skin. That is what my derm said ( 3 of them, they all cant be wrong), plus it is mentioned in many websites.

I always get booed out of a thread when I mention this, because most ppl did not have much luck with the oily skin with retinoids

If someone feels that retinoids made thier skin oily, I would suggest talk to thier derm about the type of the topical ( cream or gel) and the strength (0.025, 0.5 or 0.1), how they are applying it (rubbing it in properly, losing a lot of the medicine in contact with pillows, clothing etc, since most ppl apply it overnight etc etc ).

I used the differin gel and I used to let it sit for some time before going to bed so that at least something went into the skin before getting absorbed by my pillows and blankets and the mattress.

Try jojoba oil as a moisturizer. It's the closest thing to human sebum. You may fool your skin to produce less oil.

the real choises are

1)accutane low dossage ( 20 mg per mont during four months then 10mg every day)

2) Nizoral shampoo , wash your face with this and leave it for 10 minutes every day

3) Azelazi acid

4) tretinoins

5) topical antiandrogens

6) may be , not sure but Dutasteride

Good luck and don't fall in any scam

the real choises are

1)accutane low dossage ( 20 mg per mont during four months then 10mg every day)

2) Nizoral shampoo , wash your face with this and leave it for 10 minutes every day

3) Azelazi acid

4) tretinoins

5) topical antiandrogens

6) may be , not sure but Dutasteride

Good luck and don't fall in any scam

Nizoral shampoo for the face, interesting? How does that help with oil? Nizoral is for dandruff. Please educate me on this, I can't seem to connect the two. eusa_think.gif