Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blondegirl21

Sodium Laureth/Lauryl Sulfate is in EVERYTHING!

Im looking for a good cleanser that will be completley safe for my skin. Someone posted that sodium Lauryl sulfates are bad, and clog your pores, but STILL this ingredient is used in acne products! WTF huh? Does anyone know of acne products that work and that dont have any ingredients like this in them that cause acne even though the product is made *for* acne? Thanks eusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gif : eusa_wall.gifrolleyes.gif

I use SLS shampoos when there's nothing else around my house. That stuff definatly messes with my scalp and skin; I get dandruff and break out a bit, plus my skin looks a bit worse then it usually does. I use Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, which I guess is also supposed to be irritating, but it doesn't bother me at all.

You need to stick with products from health food stores - like Whole Foods - or look for these type of products online. Just to give you some ideas - Aubrey Organics, Derma e, Burts Bees, Jason Naturals, just to name a few. I am in the same boat you are - I joined this site and looked at all the products Dan mentions but all the soaps have the sodium laurel sulfate in them, which I got rid of in all my face/body products years ago. So now I am looking at some of these skin care lines and will be trying products once again - but this time using the BP gel. Hopefully that will work.

good luck in your search!

Dawn

Im looking for  a good cleanser that will be completley safe for my skin. Someone posted that sodium Lauryl sulfates are bad, and clog your pores, but STILL this  ingredient is used in acne products! WTF huh? Does anyone know of acne products that work and that dont have any ingredients like this in them that cause acne even though the product is made *for* acne? Thanks eusa_wall.gif  eusa_wall.gif  eusa_wall.gif  :  eusa_wall.gif  rolleyes.gif

Hey there, that was me. I like Dr. Bronner's. It's a pure castille soap-perfectly safe. Even GNC carries it. I like it the peppermint and almond varieties, it also comes in eucalyptus, tea tree, and baby mild. I hear that the Burt's Bees Tomato Compexion Soap is excellent too.

If you are looking for a more mainstream product, the C&C Continuous Control is decent, as is the Neutrogena 60 Second Acne Wash.

As for shampoo, I shy away from SLS there too, I'm afraid it'll run down my back or face give me zits. I use either Dr. Bronner's or Burt's Bees Rosemary Mint Shampoo Bar.

If you are interested in double checking your products (cleansers, makeup, etc.) for comedogenic (pore clogging) ingredients, go here:

http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/article6.htm

pm me if you have a question, I'm ridiculously neurotic about ingredients wacko.gif so I've learned a lot. biggrin.gif

Ayla

thanks! Im actually using Avalon Organic Botanicals right now- have you heard of it? Thats what Ive came across since posting this. Ill give that other a try too from GNC as soon as I run out of this stuff. Thanks for your help!