Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Also, I no doubt have a lot of respect for the person who started this thread. But I want to offer maybe an optional method to just using water for washing your face. Try using water mixed with a little bit of sea salt. Sea salt is all natural and won't harm your face. Instead if removes dead skin cells and is very anti-inflammatory. Ever wonder why your face clears up a little when you go to the beach? It's the sea salt!

I fill up a large bowl of hot water and add some sea salt into the water and then splash on my face for about 30-60 seconds. I also sometimes just submerge my face into the sea water for about a minute on each side. It makes your face feel amazing afterwards. It can't hurt to try!

Let me know if anyone else decides to try this and what your thoughts are.

Hope this helps someone!

Also, I no doubt have a lot of respect for the person who started this thread. But I want to offer maybe an optional method to just using water for washing your face. Try using water mixed with a little bit of sea salt. Sea salt is all natural and won't harm your face. Instead if removes dead skin cells and is very anti-inflammatory. Ever wonder why your face clears up a little when you go to the beach? It's the sea salt!

I fill up a large bowl of hot water and add some sea salt into the water and then splash on my face for about 30-60 seconds. I also sometimes just submerge my face into the sea water for about a minute on each side. It makes your face feel amazing afterwards. It can't hurt to try!

Let me know if anyone else decides to try this and what your thoughts are.

Hope this helps someone!

No problem...glad to help

Let me know how the research goes!

Also last night I tried the baking soda paste on my face. It felt really good and I thought it would help but today I flared up horribly. My face was terribly red and I developed new acne..way worse than I was. I don't know why I even tried it because my acne was clearing up using just the ACV and sea salt scrub. Anyway if anyone does try this baking soda thing just know that it doesn't work on all skin types.

Tim

Hey quick question for anyone who has started this regime. How do you know when to switch from the vinegar to water. Jon Carlo says after a few months...but does that mean when you aren't getting acne anymore?

And also I take it showering counts as rinsing your face with hot water? I shower morning and night so I'm guessing I don't need to do anything to my face besides let hot water hit it in the shower...

Wow, This is exactly me. I'm doing this.. The things you've explained match up with my perfectly.. I was wondering if it's still possible to do some masks like Green tea masks or honey masks while doing this?? Thanks alot

Hey guys.. Just a question..

I cleanse my skin with a mild cleanser two times a day, and then put on some moisture. Can I just overnight stop cleansing my skin ? - I mean no adjustment time or anything? Just go from cleansing two times a day, and then stop washing my face at all(perhpas 1-2 times a week, with water only).

And would u recommand using moisture when not cleansing?

Well I'm on week 7 of water only, and I am quite happy with the results. The purging of old oil plugs seems to have abated and I'm not getting as much skin shedding. I find now that right after water washing I just have light dryness which goes away after about half an hour, I haven't used any moisturizers since I started, since I rather wanted to get rid of what was shedding. Overall my skin looks and feels smoother and calmer, even though I still have light pigmentation marks on my cheeks. I would recommend this regimin for people like me with whole face oiliness and whiteheads, I can't say how this would work for pustules and cystic acne.

The less you wash your face, the better. For dry skin it means that you dont wash away the natural oil, so no need for moisturizer. For oily skin, like mine, I found that if you always wash the oil away the skin will produce even more to compensate.

The only time I "wash" my face is in the shower and I always switch to mild / cold water because very hot water is more harsh. I just pass my hands on my face gently without scrubing.

I'm not really a believer of the opinion that "washing the oil away from the skin will produce even more oil to compensate" What I do believe is that soaps and cleansers will dry out the surface of oily type skin and cause oil to get trapped in pores, thus causing whiteheads and blackheads to form. For me cleansers or soaps either dry out the surface or they leave residue that interferes with the skin's natural shedding process.

I'm not really a believer of the opinion that "washing the oil away from the skin will produce even more oil to compensate"

Bump.

Status: About 5 days in and I'm not getting nearly as much big zits, redness has gone down, but I'm getting tons of little zits. Doing pretty good..

8th week of water washing only, continued improvment. Slight purging of some whiteheads on my forehead, seems to be the last hold-out area on my face. Overall, my face looks healthier, less coarse and smoother without all those whiteheads covering my whole face. I sink wash in the morning and shower wash at night, face does still gets a light sheen of oil during the day while I'm at work. I still have a few pale hyperpigmentation marks on both my cheeks, but I'll never go back to soaps or cleansers!

Just a quick question about just using water. What about the girls out there that use make up? I do however only use Bare Minerals, non pore clogging, Will water be enough? When I remove my make up with my face wash I use Rosewater as a toner, and I still see traces of make up on the cotton pad which I would prefer not to have on my face. What is you take on Rosewater? The all natural stores swear by it. I only use my own homemade face wash (Green tea, 100% Aloe, Honey, Tea Tree Oil, Oatmeal and Rosemary oil) and Jojoba oil for moisturizer, do you not recommend any moisturizer either? (I'm pushing 39, I only look 27, but I'm getting frustrated with this so called hormone breakouts, their coming bi-weekly now, and I have never had white heads before and now I can't seem to get rid of them. I think I' going thought Prue-menopause this sucks, I need help, what do you suggest?

P.S. Every time I try something new I think it's working, this only last a few weeks.

Help Mikki

Speaking of diet in helping acne and pimples. I am a 50 year old, firm believer that drinking dark colored soda's, i.e Coke, Pepsi, Dr Pepper, R.C. any thing that has a red dye in it can help sensitive people break out. Case in point for myself.

As a 13 year old, I love (still do) SUGAR, esp. CHOCOLATE. My grandmother, thinking that chocolate was the thing breaking our my face, decided that I was going to eat chocolate, and NOTHING but chocolate for 21 days-Dear God, I was in heaven, chocolate milk and hershey bars, ding-dongs and poptarts for breakfast, Ding-dong and butterfingers for lunch, and more chocolate for dinner, nothing else, no cokes(which I had been drinking aboout 1-2 a day 12 oz each.

Her reasoning for the complete chocolate diet, is that at the end of it, I would SO sick of chocolate, I wouldn't ever want it again. HA HA HA....Guess what? By the end of the second week, my skin had cleared up considerably. Yeppers..few new zits, and the old ones were gone.

I still love chocolate and sugar, and IF I dare drink more than 1 coke every couple of weeks, I get ZITS! Just a couple of months ago, I started drinking cokes-2-3 a day, and damn, my face broke out again. Ok. got it cleared up, and I drank 2 cokes this past week, and on Sunday (last coke was on Sat.) I go this honker on my eyebrow. You would think I would learn....

Fixing your diet is the hardest thing to do, but it is the cheapest and healtlyist.

Speaking of diet in helping acne and pimples. I am a 50 year old, firm believer that drinking dark colored soda's, i.e Coke, Pepsi, Dr Pepper, R.C. any thing that has a red dye in it can help sensitive people break out. Case in point for myself.

As a 13 year old, I love (still do) SUGAR, esp. CHOCOLATE. My grandmother, thinking that chocolate was the thing breaking our my face, decided that I was going to eat chocolate, and NOTHING but chocolate for 21 days-Dear God, I was in heaven, chocolate milk and hershey bars, ding-dongs and poptarts for breakfast, Ding-dong and butterfingers for lunch, and more chocolate for dinner, nothing else, no cokes(which I had been drinking aboout 1-2 a day 12 oz each.

Her reasoning for the complete chocolate diet, is that at the end of it, I would SO sick of chocolate, I wouldn't ever want it again. HA HA HA....Guess what? By the end of the second week, my skin had cleared up considerably. Yeppers..few new zits, and the old ones were gone.

I still love chocolate and sugar, and IF I dare drink more than 1 coke every couple of weeks, I get ZITS! Just a couple of months ago, I started drinking cokes-2-3 a day, and damn, my face broke out again. Ok. got it cleared up, and I drank 2 cokes this past week, and on Sunday (last coke was on Sat.) I go this honker on my eyebrow. You would think I would learn....

Fixing your diet is the hardest thing to do, but it is the cheapest and healtlyist.

I started this regimen after reading this thread. It really inspired me and sort of made me come to the conclusion that wow, my skin was never nearly as bad after starting to use products on it. The past 8 months or so I've used tons of products and now my skin is pretty damaged as a result.

I'm about 2 weeks in on using water only and the results are good so far. At first, I saw a LOT of oil production. Usually a few hours/the next morning after using a cleanser I'd see a ton of oil production too but it was even worse at the start of this regimen. However, after about a week my oil production went down a ton and my face rarely gets overly oily anymore; in fact I've experienced drying in a few spots(which I've never had) but that is also slowly subsiding over time. The drying could also be from sun exposure the past few days but either way my skin is finally finding a balance and is much smoother now. I think I got lucky and the excess oil didn't make me break out. Some people may see breakouts in the first few weeks with this regimen but it takes time, that's the point of it. Gotta build skin strength over time, it doesn't happen over night.

As for new break outs, I currently only have about 2-3 active whiteheads, a few blackheads and then I have red marks. For so long I was treating these red/brownish marks with cleansers and acids thinking it would help it heal faster. Boy was I wrong. I'm already seeing the marks start to fade after STOPPING the use of cleansers and acids. But I still have a lot of damage to repair from using harsh chemicals on my face. It sucks but I'm glad to be making a start on it. Hopefully eating healthy and taking the right vitamins and care of myself will speed up the process without too many new break outs on the way.

For people with mild/moderate acne like me please try to just eat right, take certain vitamins(Zinc, Vitamin C, Fish oil etc.) and washing your face daily. Give it a shot before giving into these harsh chemicals that are mostly made for people with serious acne that runs in the family. I see so many people using this stuff that don't need it at all and for me as a result I have a few scars and a bunch of red marks from it. I kept telling myself "oh it'll get better" but it just made the rest of my skin weak and sensitive and it never was like that before. It'll probably take about a year to be back to 100% skin strength, hopefully less but I don't care. This is a long term solution for people with mild acne that have been using unnecessary treatments on their face.

So I just wanted to thank jan_carlo for this post. I'd still be using products on my face to this day. This post really opened my eyes, I must say. After I read it I went back and looked at some old pictures of me when I was 16-18 and wow, my skin was pretty damn healthy. It's only been about 2 weeks of stopping cleansers but I can just feel it that my skin is healthier and it looks healthier too. Thanks jan_carlo, hope you read this post again-I think it's saved many people and made people come to the realization that when dealing with mild/moderate acne-putting harsh chemicals on your face is almost never the answer, just a short-term one that will cause more problems in the end. It's a tough path to start but once you ween yourself off these products it's a great feeling.

Peace

For those of you having trouble with a lot of oil production after stopping all of your products on your face, I recommend eating some extra virgin olive oil (4 servings a day). You will notice a difference in oil production. Don't cook with it..but pour it on top of foods after you've cooked. It really is delicious on just about anything so very very good for skin and oil production.

hey i have nearly the exact same story as you. though it could be puberty for me. a while back i had my first cases of acne as a teenager, my skin was normal and id say i had quite a lot of pimples in one area. then i tried BP and all that stuff. didn't work for me, so i just left it alone. a while after i moved to a new house, the house was dusty and probably clogged my pores. i started breaking out again(mild) and had some mild allergy, so i went to the dermatologist. he gave me differin gel, thats all. i used differin gel for a while, and damn it works good on mild acne. anyway, i cleared up and just got lazy because it was summer. i was mostly at home so i didn't care about oil and thought pimples would eventually go away. and it was the summer where my skin was at its best, using only cetaphil and sometimes even slacking off. then school began and i started doing some mild dan's method to prevent pimples and damn it got worse, now i think back and wonder why the hell did i do that. anyway i thought it was pure coincidence and didn't stop. it didnt break out immediately but over the half year i just got a few pimples back like once in a while and the marks wouldn't heal because of the BP. so it looked red + few spots over it. still mild. eventually i stopped and was able to get another tube of differin. This is where the shit happens. After applyin differin for a few days, i went to an indoor pool party(warm water) and that dried + irritated my skin really badly, and also my first time to flake from such irritation. i thought, oh crap the water mustve did something to my skin. so i kept using differin gel, applied moisturizer and the moisturizer broke me out so i stopped. eventually over the course of around 4 months(seemed like forever though), the differin didn't clear me up, only helped decrease the redness on pimples. eventually it just got worse. and worse. not only do i have moderate acne now, but i got EXTREMELY oily and i was already oily before. I can now touch my face anywhere with one finger and see the liquid reflect. i suspect the differin did this to me. well i am also 16, so it could be hormonal but i doubt it because its suppose to be balancing at this point. MY PARENTS DONT HAVE ACNE. i have a brother and sister, both in their 20s and 30s they both have good skin. yes they suffered mild pimples as a teen, but not acne like me. theyre also nowhere near as oily as me, my bro has shiny face but not in the cheek area like me, where i applied most of the differin(probably too much) and got the acne worse. i want to try this method, but can't i just use a cleanser? my siblings use cleanser and they're clear. ive decided yea ill stop putting chemicals on my face but maybe using only a cleanser would clear me up? the problem is that i have so much oil i can go to the bathroom like 3-4 times during school hours just to wipe oil off face with a tissue paper. i tried blotters but they kind of made me break out. tissue paper actually works better o.O. suggestions? not exactly a water regimen but i know lots of people that use probably only cleansers and they're clear. i have the most acne where i applied the differin gel(cheeks), and it has gone from mild to moderate over these few months and my cheeks before were never oily. after treating the mild pimples on my cheek with differin/bp/salicylic , it is now extremely oily.

Last night marked the beginning of my no-topicals, no cleansers experiment. I'll let you all know how it goes as the days and weeks go by!

Question: I still have some antibiotics left- should I finish them or completely drop them as well?

This is going great. About a week ago, I haven't gotten one zit for days. But during those days, I had very little food around the house and none of it was junk. Then once I got back to the store, and ate some food with sugar in it, I woke up with a couple small zits. Other than that, Miracle.

Update for me. Been about 2.5 weeks since starting this. Seeing a decent amount of oil production but it seems to vary on what I eat. Gonna try the virgin olive oil thing-thanks Psuboy. On the other hand it seems that if I wash my face more than twice I seem to dry out in certain areas so I've cut it down to 2 maximum per day. I still have red marks but they are slowly fading and sometimes they are almost completely faded and others they are a bit more visible. Time is unfortunately the only REAL cure for red marks so I'm being patient. My nose seems to be getting some small whiteheads on it and there's one by my mouth too. Very small though they don't bother me and since starting this regimen I've seen these small whiteheads pop up a few times but they literally go away in a day or 2. My skin seems to be more resilient and faster at healing now. Those cleansers just made it worse.

So other than the left over marks from old acne and a few whiteheads/blackheads I'm basically clear. I'd say as a rough estimate I'm about 80% clear, 15% red/brown marks, 5% whiteheads/blackheads. Not bad and it seems to only be getting better. Will keep it updated.

whoa. insane. i tried doing this last night. just washed with water last night and woke up in the morning. then i did the same thing. already i notice decreased oil production. i went to school and usually by lunch i have oil on my face that i touch with my finger and see it glimmering. there still is but it was a lot less. but the a couple zits got pus on them now. its only been like half a day but then the decreased oil production is awesome. this could be it.

Update for me... Got a medium-sized zit on chin, should be gone in a few days. It was probably a result of what I ate the other night. Have gotten a few clogged pores on my nose the past few days but they have been healing very well and seem to be going away. Other than that, like 2 whiteheads, bunch of blackheads on nose(they've been there for a long time, are small and hardly noticeable) and a bunch of red/brown marks. The marks seem to be getting better every few days but they will probably take another few months to fully blend in with my skin tone. So as long as the new zits don't get bigger or anything then I'll just have red marks to deal with which aren't too bad anymore. All my whiteheads are now going away much faster it seems. My skin has kind of built up a defense against it in just 2-3 weeks and seems to fight new pimples a lot better now so red/brown marks are definitely my main issue.

I am seeing some skin drying however so I've been using small amounts of moisturizer in certain spots. In a few areas my skin feels itchy, I think it's just my skin getting used to not having a cleanser of any kind since I've only been washing twice a day-I doubt it's from that.

I'm wondering if I should start doing a once or twice a week exfoliation just to remove the left over dry/dead skin cells but I'm not sure what product I'd use. Or get a facial every 2 weeks but I feel kinda gay going into a spa to get my face done. I'll most likely stick with just water for another 2 weeks and see how it goes. At most I'd do once a week exfoliation with a very gentle product or the baby brush method. I'll never go back to a daily cleanser but I'm sure the dryness will go away on its own after a while-it's nothing severe.

Oil production is basically non-existent though and overall my skin looks much healthier. I'm still not where I wanna be in terms of skin health but I think I'm getting there. It looks much better other than a few small dry patches and the red/brown marks but I want it to feel good and healthy and then this will be successful. Its only been 2-3 weeks and this regimen usually takes months to see real results so I'm staying patient. It's safe to say that so far, this has been much more successful than any cleanser regimen I've ever started.