Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have a feeling this is soo true.. Kids start at 13-16 with using products and OVERDO it.. the result is that it will only get worse.

I wish i never started with using stuff like "Clearasil" and other bullcrap products.. i'm sure i would have no scars and would be clear :( both my parents never had acne nor did my brothers/sisters.

but i'm too weak to stop DKR since it's working so well atm. going to wait another month or so then slowly stop using medication on my face

You should try and stop exfoliating and see what happens. Just let the skin pile up and fall of naturally. Or if it is a big flake use a tweezers and pull it off. Your exfoliating might be irritating your skin, and just causing more flakes.

I also get eczema on my face if it gets irritated. If the hydrocortisone is working for you, then keep it up. For some people hydrocortisone causes and other skin problems. For me it just made my problems worse, but it works well for my brother who also gets eczema.

My doctor told me to never scrub the areas that are affected by eczema, and to try and let them air dry after bathing. If you can't let it air dry, then pat it lightly with a towel that has been washed in very gentle detergent. You are also not supposed to pick or scratch the affected areas. For me, just being incredibly gentle gets rid of the eczema. That is why I suggested to stop using the washcloth for exfoliating. But, like I said, if Hydrocortisone works then you should probably keep using it.

how does look the facial eczema? like all around my nose my skin is 80% of the time red. its like i had a mustache of red skin... it doesnt look too awfull its more like a constant sunburn..

I don't know if eczema occurs with a red looking rash or not. I jsut know that if you have eczema your skin will flake and be itchy.

I think I tried this "wash with only water" regimen for about a week a year or so ago. I just couldn't do it. My face was too oily, itchy, and flakey. I always entertained the idea of becoming a mountain man for a year. Not have to face the public. That way I could go through all the side effects of a regimen like this without embarrassment.

I did however stop using any medications. I am now 24 so the bad acne flare ups are no longer here. I just have some scarring, red marks and bumps. But before a week ago I was only washing my face with Dove sensitive body wash. Made my skin soft and smooth and didn't dry it out...none more than plain water does anyway. Buuuut, I guess I was having a bad week or two and decided to give Proactiv another go. The only thing that ever worked for me. Like others it worked the first time, but never quite as well after that. Been using it for a week now and my skin looks good, but it's very dry and flaky now. I just can't get one without the other. Maybe it'll pass, but do I have the patience. That seems to be the problem every time. PATIENCE. Well, actually I think having to go out into the public eye is the problem. I could be patient if I could stay secluded for as long as it took.

Don't know where I was going with this post. Just sharing some experiences. I will ask if anyone has done the water only experiment for atleast a year? And I mean nothing but WATER. Not even exfoliating.

I also wonder if maybe I have eczema. My skin is flaky and itchy. Hmmmmm.

for oily skin.. you should stick to beta hydroxy acid aka salicylic acid because it can penetrate lipids and oils. Alpha hydroxy acids would have difficulty penetrating oil skin.

I can say I stoped using medication (acid salicylic and benzoyl peroxide) for about a year. Only washing my face with water when showering.

I no longer have breakouts and whiteheads. So no longer using topics and gently washing with clear water has clear acne.

But water hasnt solved my oily skin and black head problem. I still have lot of blackhead on nose. And like I said before my skin around the nose is itchy and red. maybe excema.

But if it is the price to pay, then Im satisfied. I mean trading whiteheads, painfull breakouts for some oily skin is nothing.

I have combination skin. My cheeks are always clear and healthy. But the middle of my forehead , my nose and my chin is oily. But it seems that my only problematic spot at the moment is around my nose. My forehead and my chin is less irritated than before.

Maybe my nose area is the last spot my skin has to "regulate", since im just 20.

Hey, about 2 months ago I basically stopped using BP and other stuff. I had probably a slightly less extreme version of this than jan suggests. Basically, I would wash my face using Cetaphil(extremely mild), and then I would use apple cider vinegar on my ENTIRE face, then I would moisturize with Aloe Vera with a few drops of cetaphil. Finally, I would apply 10% BP to ACNE(and ONLY the bad acne, probably the worst 10% of my face, which would usually be 1-2 pimples). Looking back, my face was pretty good, like it wasn't perfect obviously, but it was quite good. I was completely satisfied with it, and I went on Dan's Regime. My face the past 2 weeks has been the worst it has been in a while. So I'm going to revert back to my old routine, and then try to slowly ween myself off of each of those products, starting with the BP obviously.

I guess it's just another not-so-severe change. Use very mild cleansers and such, and vinegar, if you have to use on-the-stop BP, and then wean yourself off of those. Instead of just using vinegar...

So ill give this a while and see what happens.

I'm afraid of doing this, I've been using different products forever, and when I don't use them for like a month, my face gets worse and it is noticeable. When I use the products, it calms down (except for the occasional 2 or 3 pimples that appear).

for oily skin.. you should stick to beta hydroxy acid aka salicylic acid because it can penetrate lipids and oils. Alpha hydroxy acids would have difficulty penetrating oil skin.

Bump! I hope many more people are discovering this.... it helped me so much! After several months of NO acne products... my skin has recovered.. my acne is under control.. i get only little breakouts now and then, nothing major.

Seriously, try it!

I'm going to try this after I finish accutane. I think this would help because my skin looks really red and damaged from all the picking, squeezing and chemicals, it really is a vicious circle.

Is it ok to use a moisturizer though? I use a Clinique moisturizer and I think it doesn't have much chemicals in it.

Yeah, daanzell, why did you never even use things like a moisturizer or some sorta none chemicular topical like ACV?

I'm going to try this after I finish accutane. I think this would help because my skin looks really red and damaged from all the picking, squeezing and chemicals, it really is a vicious circle.

Is it ok to use a moisturizer though? I use a Clinique moisturizer and I think it doesn't have much chemicals in it.

Please don't use accutane, I did and I was wrong, it's too dangerous, I'm practically acne free since I don't eat sugar anymore, I just have 3 or 4 tiny zits per weeks who fade away very quickly, and I only follow this regimen since 26 days, don't use anything on your skin, just wash with hot water.

Please don't use accutane, I did and I was wrong, it's too dangerous, I'm practically acne free since I don't eat sugar anymore, I just have 3 or 4 tiny zits per weeks who fade away very quickly, and I only follow this regimen since 26 days, don't use anything on your skin, just wash with hot water.

I've been doing a watered-down version of this for about 2 weeks now. I'm using a really gentle cleanser, putting the ACV on my individual acne spots, and moisturizing with aloe vera. Right now I don't seem to be doing too hot, but hopefully it will change.

What of those 3 things do you think I should try to cut down first? I'm thinking probably the cleanser, because I don't really believe that ACV or Aloe Vera is actually damaging to skin, but I would like to wean myself off of those as well.

Tha's my regimen currently as well, using ACV and AVG. I'd say drop the cleanser and then ACV if you wanna get to water only. I don't see ACV or AVG as a problem in aggravating acne or the skin, so I am continuing to use them, and don't plan on weening off until I'm clear.

Ok, I didn't bother reading pages 3-44 or anything so if these questions have been answered sorry, but I'm going to start trying this treatment but i have a few questions.

I'll stop using my treatment and start using just hot water to wash and vinegar after that, right??? (untill i stop the vinegar too)

Also you said something about a moisturizer or sunscreen you should apply everyday, what brands/products are good? I rather have one i can just buy normally in my local CVS, Walgreens, w/e

When do you use the moisturizer?

Also, seprately i've been wondering about taking these following supplements:

Vitamin A? Any things i should focus on when buying?

Zinc? Same question?

Fish Oil?

Also with shaving, right now I'm using Gillete Complete Active Care or w/e and that seems to be a good shaving cream, is it?

Also, i saw something about shampoos and hair products.

what kind of shampoos are fine or do they all damage?

what about styling mousee?

Im quite tempted to give this a try. From all the products that i have used like BP, Glycolic Acid, Dalacin T Lotion and Clearasil profucts etc nothing has got me clear. None of my family really use products on there face like i do. Well ive seen my sister and mum use cleansing wipes sometimes, when i have used them there is no dirt, when anyone else in my family has there is so much dirt that comes off them, yet they dont get any spots.

Im just kinda scared at doing this. I get about 3-4 small new spots a day, and then sometimes get a biggish one a week. Would trying this be really suitable for me? Im 20 years old now, and have been using harsh products on my face since i was around 15, so it could be down to what ive been using on my skin. I think it will be worth a try.

Meh, already breaking out. Maybe wasnt the best time to start trying to this as im going to be busy doing things for the next couple of days :( Im hoping so much this will work, but i dont think for one second that it actually will. Ive given up hope on anything ever working.

I have been on the DKR for around 3 months now and I am pretty much clear.

After reading over this thread it really got me thinking how much damage BP can potentially do to peoples skin. I have a 10 day camp trip coming up in 3 week's time and seeing as I am clear (with some flaking) I really don't want to stop the DKR until after I get back from the camp trip.

By the time I get back from the camp trip it will have been about 4 months of me on the regimen. Is this enough time for BP to really damage my skin?

After the camp I am thinking of slowly cutting back on where I put BP on my face until it is only my chin (if I can get that far) just to see if I've grown out of acne yet. Earlier this year, my forehead just cleared practically overnight, I don't treat it with BP and I only cleanse it. So I hope the rest of my face will clear up just like that soon. I am almost 16, is this a time when most people grow out of acne?

This flaking is getting really annoying ...