Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi all,

I've read several of these pages and have had to laugh!!!

For years I've been battling acne. Its between mild and moderate and I've tried everything. I'm currently on the DKR (week 4) and its not going that well. I've always been so envious of my husband who has lovely clear skin. Yesterday, while getting upset over the arrival of two papules, one on each cheek, I told him that I would give anything to have skin like his, he laughed and said, well drink ten cups of coffee a day and wash your face with plain water!!!! Then I find this thread!!! I can dentify with so many other sufferers and really wish that I had left my skin alone. I just can't resist new products, but from now on I'm going to!!

I'm throwing away my BP tonight!!! Scared though

Cheers :lol:

this might work for some people. but i broke out with severe acne when i was 13/14 and only used water on my face. i think those who have had severe acne actually produce too much oil which is a hormonal problem, and simply forgetting about it won't fix it unless you suddenly start producing less hormones. fortunately, and not so fortunately, the glands that produce the oil shrink with age.

So I've been using only water on my face for the past several days.... and it has been a revolution. Here is a little history:

Got first pimple at age 10. I left it alone, it went away. Puberty brought on breakouts between age 11 and 12, they went away. My skin still looked supple and healthy. I started using various products on my face and over the past 8 or 9 years, my skin has only gotten worse. I never used to have acne anywhere but on the center of my chin, but sure enough anywhere I put a product ended up breaking out, first worse acne on my chin, then my forehead, then my cheeks, then my nose. I was very frustrated. The red marks are very prominient and slow to fade on me because my skin is extremely extremely pale. My parents both had acne until the were in their 30s or so, BUT when I say they had acne i mean that they broke out on their chin twice a year and the pimple went away in a few days if left to heal.

The only time I saw any improvement was about 5 months ago, when I started switching to simple products. Mineral makeup, cetaphil cleanser, all natural shampoo once a week and tea tree oil/jojoba oil. I saw a huge improvement fast. BUT my skin would still cycle as usual and when the makeup was off, the quality of my skin looked like SHIT. Red, blotchy, thin, irritated. After cleansing my face was really tight until a few hours later, when my own oils would start breaking through.

I started thinking about using water only after that, and it really struck a nerve with my own common sence. But didn't get around to it. The thing that made me decide to do it however is that I switched makeup brands to everyday minerals and my damaged skin had an allergic reaction. My eyes dried out and turned bloodshot and itchy, my skin felt tight and itchy, and I looked like crap. My skin started getting so oily everytime I kept using the stupid makeup that the result ended up being a huge breakout and lots of wasted tears. This caused me to give up all my face products including makeup, cleasners, and even shampoo. A day after I started, I found this thread off of someone's sig and thought it was fate, seeing as I'd never heard anything like it before. I read all the pages!!!

At first going out in public with a nasty breakout and no makeup made me feel like crap. BUT all of a sudden this new calmness has come over me. I feel so liberated!!! I can sleep in later, I can worry less, I don't have to hide behind cakey shiney makeup that clogs my pores and irritates my skin. My skin does not rule my life and I will never allow it to again. (Okay sounding like a lifetime special... but seriously).

My skin has thanked me so far with this anti-routine, and so has my mental health. Even though my skin is very itchy (not tight itchy, more like the healing kind of itchy) and is flakey and a little rough, I don't give a shit. Even if this takes months to work, and I go through initial breakouts, I don't give a shit. Because I look like ME now. I feel happy and not weighed down by stress over stuff that isn't important. I don't care how I look, and ironically, I think I have looked better than I have in years. The inner happiness and confidence radiates. :)

This is what I have been doing...

to face: few drops of jojoba oil applied with a cotton round when my skin feels dry... and evian spring water on face whenever I see my face is looking very filmy. I do not wash with water everyday, just because my problem has mostly been irrtation, and I'm trying to let my skin do it's thing and just be SKIN. I just use the filtered spring water whenever my skin feels like it needs it. And I only use filtered because it feels so soft and I know I don't have to worry about chlorine and estrogens and pollution and such. At least as much.

Hair: I do not use any shampoo/conditioner/hair products in my hair, yet it is more soft, thick, and shiney everyday. I don't need styling products, just my fingers. Seriously, everyone should give up shampoo, even though I warn you there are definately nasty stages to go through, just like this face thing. All I do is when I feel my scalp building up (probably every week to two weeks) I use 1 tsp baking soda and about 4 oz. of water and massage it into scalp (feels very good!). I do this very completely and gently and take time to relax under the shower. Then I rinse well, and rinse ends of hair with diluted apple cider viniger (20 percent ACV to 80 percent water). No, my hair does not smell. :) And I've adjusted the normal no poo recipe to my liking and probably will as my hair/scalp continues to heal. I also use a little jojoba oil on the tips of my hair if I feel that they are dry.

Funny thing is I don't get hat hair anymore. all I need to do after work (I wear a hat 9 hours a day) is fluff my hair with my fingers and it is full of body. What is really weird is that I have always had the flattest, straigtest, oilest hair ever! My hair looks fantastic already and I've already gotten tons of compliments. It is so funny when people say "Your hair looks great, what did you do?" and I say "I haven't washed it for two weeks." HAHAHAHA. I feel like I have goddess hair. :)

The whole point is, I've really started to free myself from being obsessed with looks and using man made, money sucking CRAP. I am just enjoyng being a person and excited for what life has to bring. I think that is key!

I will update as my skin and hair change, as long as anyone might find it helpful.

Hi Pixie,

Please update when you can, I'm still considering this regime. I've made a small start this morning by using just water on my face. I had to use a little moisturiser because BP has "killed " parts of my cheeks. Then I followed with a dab of TT oil, because I simply couldn't resist it!!!!!

The very best of luck to you!! :dance:

I have a question:

What do we do with scars?

I did accutane and before and after the treatment i just washed with water. It seems that water do the trick FOR ME. I used all the crap doctors prescript, but i stopped and that wasn't so much difference.

Thanks Jenn! I really think you should stick to it and see what it might be able to do for you!

So update on my skin. Today is Day #6 of no washing, no products, no makeup. My skin looks a million times better. All my cysts and big pimples have healed and flaked off, leaving only a red mark which should fade over time. Now I just have a load of white heads and blackheads that are active. But I've noticed something funny with these.... they are all coming to a head. Every blackhead cloaking my nose (it is covered) has raised into a flesh colored point! It is not noticeable unless I stare at it in good light close to the mirror. It feels like very short leg hair stubble, lol. But I feel this is a good thing since that means they can easily fall off. I have broken out with a few very very small white heads on my chin (woirst area on face) but I'm not concerned whatsoever. Overall my skin has a much healthier appearance and is even toned, minus red marks. But when there is natural oil on your face, red marks and indented scars look much less prominent anyways. It is flaking off old skin extremely fast!!! Doesn't feel dry, just is flaking off chunks of skin! It doesn't look bad though... again you can only notice if you get up close and stare, and I don't care what it looks like anyways. I care about my health. :)

Update on hair... this is day 12 of using no shampoo. My hair is a little static-y today and doesn't have alot of volume. But the weather is weird and hair is readjusting anyways. It is so soft and shiney though! And not in a flat oily way. I have only washed once with baking soda and vineger since the first day of this. But I would say the biggest improvement is that after having SEVERE, unmanagable dandruff for over 16 years, I have none!!!!! Like, all of a sudden... all dandruff has vanished along with itchy oily scalp!

Overall I'm very pleased... and I will say it again... I am just so happy to be done with giving away my money to corrupt companies in some stupid attempt to be "perfect". I feel more beautiful now than ever, and for no reason other than that now I can say I am a natural beauty rather than one covered in makeup. I wore a light handmade/embroidered flowy halter top today and just felt like a goddess or something. :)

Also, something to note is that I eat healthy, not for skin, just for health. I have digestive issues (constipation) if I eat too much dairy, processed foods, additives, et cetera. I try to just eat food with nutrients in it, and avoid anything extra. Also you should all be avoiding these things for they are bad for everyone if you want optimal health:

-dairy

-horemones in most meats/eggs

-hydrongenated oils (spelling?)

-refined flour or sugars (honey and whole grain are the best substitutes) (sugar isn't the problem it is the refined sugars/flours that are bad)

--CORN SYRUP/CORN STARCH

-saturated fats need to be kept at a low

-roasted nuts and pasturized juices take away much of the nutrients... raw nuts and fresh squeezed juice are the best

Popeye was onto something... spinach is super food.

Olive oil is excellent for you. It needs to be stored and cooked with properly though or else it will lose it's value and go rancid. Keep it tightly sealed with a cap in a cool place. When cooking with it, do not heat the oil before adding the food... instead, lightly brush your food with oil prior to cooking.

This may seem like a lot but if you just try to incorporate this into your life as much as possible your body will thank you. I still eat my chocolate once in awhile and whatnot.

Anyways, sorry for being on the soap box again, but your physical health goes hand in hand with your happiness and mental health, trust me!!! Take care of your body, it takes care of you.

Hi Pixie,

Please update when you can, I'm still considering this regime. I've made a small start this morning by using just water on my face. I had to use a little moisturiser because BP has "killed " parts of my cheeks. Then I followed with a dab of TT oil, because I simply couldn't resist it!!!!!

The very best of luck to you!! :dance:

Hi all,

Well, both last night and this morning I've washed only with water!! Along with some simple moisturiser mixed with jojoba for my very flaky patches.

This morning though, I have to admit to bursting into tears at the sight of my scarred face and five large active pimples, then cancelling lunch with a good friend because i can't bear to leave the house looking like this!!!!

I have to admit to feeling very fragile at the moment but will carry on as I could see that the BP was just tearing my skin to bits!!!

I will carry on with this though, I might just have to cover the scars with a tiny bit of mineral makeup unti I feel stronger.

For years I've been battling acne. Its between mild and moderate and I've tried everything. I'm currently on the DKR (week 4) and its not going that well. I've always been so envious of my husband who has lovely clear skin. Yesterday, while getting upset over the arrival of two papules, one on each cheek, I told him that I would give anything to have skin like his, he laughed and said, well drink ten cups of coffee a day and wash your face with plain water!!!!

For years I've been battling acne. Its between mild and moderate and I've tried everything. I'm currently on the DKR (week 4) and its not going that well. I've always been so envious of my husband who has lovely clear skin. Yesterday, while getting upset over the arrival of two papules, one on each cheek, I told him that I would give anything to have skin like his, he laughed and said, well drink ten cups of coffee a day and wash your face with plain water!!!!

'Kay, good advice, and I hope it works, but don't drink ten cups of coffee a day! Don't drink much at all if you can help it. Caffine screws with your hormones and crap, messing up acne.

And jenn, Look into getting ACV and AVG, that is, Apple Cider Vinegar and Aloe Vera Gel. They do wonders.

Hi all,

Well, both last night and this morning I've washed only with water!! Along with some simple moisturiser mixed with jojoba for my very flaky patches.

This morning though, I have to admit to bursting into tears at the sight of my scarred face and five large active pimples, then cancelling lunch with a good friend because i can't bear to leave the house looking like this!!!!

I have to admit to feeling very fragile at the moment but will carry on as I could see that the BP was just tearing my skin to bits!!!

I will carry on with this though, I might just have to cover the scars with a tiny bit of mineral makeup unti I feel stronger.

Hi all,

Jenn!!! Don't let your skin do this to you! Live your life and forget about. It is not important! I'm sure that no one worth your time even notices or cares! I know it is hard, but try to not let it bring you down.

You know, I had a friend all throughout high school that I would constantly cry to her about how "disgusting" my skin was. She said to me after 10 years of knowing me with acne on my entire face... "I've never even noticed you had acne. I just see YOU, I don't even notice your skin."

I'm sure thats how the other ones in your life feel. :)

Hi Pixie,

I know that you are right, before joining this forum, the only person I moaned to about my acne was my poor long suffering husband!!!!

He always says that he never notices my spots only when I point them out to him!!!! I always thought that he was just trying to spare my feelings!!! Poor man.

On the plus side I'm quite enjoying washing with water only, its only been a few days but I'm now determined to stick with it, I hated the feel of BP

Thank you so much for your enouragement, time to stop feeling sorry for myself!!!

Update!

It's been about 2 weeks since using anything on my face except water... and around 3 weeks since I've washed my hair with shampoo/conditioner/used hair products.

Skin: Feels absolutely wonderful. I broke out a little bit (nothing above the average for my skin) before my period. Blemishes healing super duper fast. kin looks and feelsa thousand time healthier. I am amazed that my skin has gained back a healthy coloring. It all looks the same color now, besides blemishes and scars. I don't feel that I need makeup anymore because my skin is so even toned, and makeup never covers up blemishes or scars that well anyways. Skin feels very smooth and soft, and most of the peeling of dead skin has stopped. Blackheads on nose are falling out very fast. Around my period my chin felt like massive cysts were forming all over, and I got a little scared. But I stuck to it and let my skin take over the battle. And guess what!? Nothing errupted except atiny whitehead and the swollen feeling has gone away! all I did was ice it for like 15 minutes ONCE. My skin really took care of itself. I've been eating really well but the few days I ate a bit of crap nothing with my skin changed, I just felt a little bloated. :)

Hair: Hair is soft, silky, full of body and luster. Feels very nice. Not oily at all, and I'm very pleased.

You guys, update us on how this is working for you?

Well its been 13 days now since i stopped using any type of cleanser on my face and today i had a breakout just when i thought things was going great, i've got two spots on my neck, the worse area for acne on my body above my shoulders, i've got two news spots, well one is a small spot, the other is like a cysts, i think i need some support with this regimen, i'm thinking of going bacl to cleansers but i so wanna stick with this, all i'm using is water and a moisturiser as i get dry skin quite badly, i'm not using ACV though, the one problem i have with this regimen at my house too is the taps only give off cold or hot water, so i've been washing in cold water for 13 days which i dont think is too good, so i think i'm gonna have to start washing with the shower head so i can wash in lukewarm water what do you guys think, please just some support and feedback would be great so i can try and tell myself to stick with this regimen even though i've had a breakout today, just a bit of background i never used BP before on my skin just water and a cleanser but now i'm just using water.

Thanks

I'm a little down tonight. I recently stopped wearing any makeup at all, only on a day or two when I'm really in the mood or something, but basically none at all. Water only, I wanna keep to that as much as possible, but I feel like people are talking behind my back. I'm pretty sure a few are... I tell myself "whatever, just live and be happy" but some days it's rough. I know there are much bigger problems inthe world so I feel silly concentrating so much on this tiny one, but it still sucks. Why must society make me feel like I NEED makeup? Because I'm a girl?? I'm a little down right now, that's all...

Well its been 13 days now since i stopped using any type of cleanser on my face and today i had a breakout just when i thought things was going great, i've got two spots on my neck, the worse area for acne on my body above my shoulders, i've got two news spots, well one is a small spot, the other is like a cysts, i think i need some support with this regimen, i'm thinking of going bacl to cleansers but i so wanna stick with this, all i'm using is water and a moisturiser as i get dry skin quite badly, i'm not using ACV though, the one problem i have with this regimen at my house too is the taps only give off cold or hot water, so i've been washing in cold water for 13 days which i dont think is too good, so i think i'm gonna have to start washing with the shower head so i can wash in lukewarm water what do you guys think, please just some support and feedback would be great so i can try and tell myself to stick with this regimen even though i've had a breakout today, just a bit of background i never used BP before on my skin just water and a cleanser but now i'm just using water.

Thanks

To bulbagrrrl: I understand how you feel now. You even have the courage of not wearing makeup, I haven't been successful in avoiding wearing makeup. I wear it like almost everyday otherwise I wouldn't leave home and I still know some people talk behind my back. That's tough huh? I really want to wash my face with water only but it's so damn oily, water only cannot wash them all away!

I want to start this regimen......except I feel like I have to wear makeup.......Im in college where all the girls are gorgeous, flawless skin....I would have zero confidence if I ditched makeup......so I'm going through the worst breakout right now, my skin's never been this bad......just washed my face in the shower not to long ago with hot water and then moisturized with juicebeauty organic moisturizer. I wonder what my face will look like tomorrow morning :-/

I have registered just for this thread. Im a man and Im 20. I had acne for most adolescence but I was very worried about it so I used BP,SA evrything.

But I am very indepedant in nature so I was pissed of being "in needs" of these product for my skin. What if my plane crash in a tropical island with 2 young ladies? No drugstore here uh.. Thats the kinds of thoughs I had..well..

So I just used water. Washed face with water only 2 times a day and thats it (shower and morning). It took a week. After that you can FEEL ur skin is more natural. And without lying, I can say that I am 100% clear, that means NOT A SINGLE BREAKOUT.

BUT, there is a BUT, since my face is completly clear I have noticed that I have some kind of hyperpigmentation because the skin around my nose is very red. When I wake up my face always look nice, same glowing color (dunno why btw).

But when I eat breakfast and start the day I can see that the skin around my nose is reddish.

I just looked in the mirror and its more the skin just above the mouth like where (guys) have a mustache.

So I am at the point where Im using a really sensitive cleanser without "active ingredient", (Nivea Men Sensitive Face Wash) because the nose is a problem in my family. My parents both have pores on their noses,etc.

But it is allright because the rest of my face is now BALANCED and I can do whatever with it and I wont breakout. Maybe because Im now older.

So I'll end by saying that water has cleared my acne and rebalanced my skin. But if someone has suggestions for the red skin below nose, help is welcome.

Thanks