Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One thing I do is keep my nails cut short that way if I end up trying to pop or pick it will just be with my fingertips and not my nails digging into my skin!!! I've been doing really good the past month at not picking. I have a couple scars and when I look inthe mirror I focus on them to remind me what picking will do to my skin and it stops me from picking. I haven't had a breakout for a couple weeks now but the only time I think it's ok to pick is if there is pus coming out of the spot other than that leave your face alone!!!! If you have a spot that is really bothering you soak a cloth in hot water and hold it on the area to help it come out faster and then use a tissie and gently get it out. Don't use any force or pressure on your skin.

Hi Jan Carlo, I'm wondering if this method is suitable for very oily skin in a hot and humid climate? Shouldn't it be that without washing there would be more clogged pores instead? (pardon me for my question)

My Dad had a big problem with acne, with lots of scarring while my mum has none. She too advises your method, of minimal skincare products except the usual Clinque 3 step programme.

However, I'd like to ask a big question: I'm in the army now where I don't have access to hot water at all, vinegar would be difficult to smear on my face in the transition period. I would be sweating alot for most of the day, and whether this would affect the method you described.

Lastly, are there any methods you'd recommend to alleviate the itchiness that comes when new zits/cysts form without the use of BP?

Hi Jan Carlo, I'm wondering if this method is suitable for very oily skin in a hot and humid climate? Shouldn't it be that without washing there would be more clogged pores instead? (pardon me for my question)

My Dad had a big problem with acne, with lots of scarring while my mum has none. She too advises your method, of minimal skincare products except the usual Clinque 3 step programme.

However, I'd like to ask a big question: I'm in the army now where I don't have access to hot water at all, vinegar would be difficult to smear on my face in the transition period. I would be sweating alot for most of the day, and whether this would affect the method you described.

Lastly, are there any methods you'd recommend to alleviate the itchiness that comes when new zits/cysts form without the use of BP?

Well thank you.. I'm going to try to limit my washing. The thing is, I'm prone to having severe cysts that leave scars (although not big cysts that require operations) especially on the forehead and cheeks. I don't want to go to antibiotics again if only to preserve my liver. I've nothing to lose anyway. Will try to update this thread..

Hi, i'm from the philippines, i'm 18 yrs old, my acne started when i got addicted to some online games, i think it started when i was 16, it got worst when i started using ProActiv

i want to try your regimen, cause i don't want to be dependent on some expensive products, hmm i just want to ask what kind of cleanser are you using, also is it advisble to use sunblock, if so, what should i use to remove it after using it?

(sorry if my english is bad :D )

one of a few wonderful regimens. =)

cant agree with you more, jan carlo.

i never had a problem with acne in my life until last year, august. it started of as 2-3 pimples on my cheeks and since i was so used to have a "flawless skin" i couldnt stand having a little pimples on my face so i decided to be stupid and used neutrogenas acne system which had 10%BP and SA in it. the BIGGESTTT mistake i ever made in my life. my face was SOO irritated, itchy, turned red, my poregs got bigger and bigger!! since then, my skin hasnt been the same any more. i started breaking out more and more... and the more i break out, id get new products to "cure" it but always ended up worsening it. ive spent over 500 for the past 8months and did nothing to make my skin better.

my mom finally spoke to me a few weeks ago and said, "i shouldve told you from the beginning but i didnt and im sorry.. do me a favor and trust me on this. stop using whatever youre using and just use this cleanser and LEAVE YOUR SKIN ALONE." so i did.. first week, i started breaking out like crazy, got SOO depressed. so tempted to use my acne stuffs againn.. but i didnt and on my 2nd week, i didnt get any new pimples anymore. im on my 3week and my face is doing A LOT better than better.. i only have 2-3 active pimples, red scars, and a lot of tiny skin-colored bumps...

this is basically what i do-

AM

wash my face with cold water

go work out

take a shower and cleanse my face with a mild cleanser/hot water

spot treat with ACV

put moisturizure

wear mineral make up

PM

take off my make up with ponds make up remover or grapeseed oil

do quickie 2 wash with a mild cleanser/hot water

spot treat with ACV

do you think i should change anything?

and ive been thinking..and i finally decided to try Paula's 2% BHA Gel. trust me, ive been debating if i should use this or not for at least a month because it has SA in it.. using anything that has SA or BP in it would ruin my regimen.. but i heard Pauala's 2% BHA gel is different from any other SA products out there because it is PH balanced. the reason i want to use this is to get rid of my tiny skin-colored bumps thats been sitting there for months and months...paula's BHA is supposed to open up closed comedones...

Also, you mentioned that we should use cream, not moisturizing one but something like pearl cream or placenta face cream that has vitamin a/e in it, right? well, i wanted to try Green Cream that has Retinol in it [Retinol, the animal form of vitamin A, is a yellow fat-soluble, antioxidant vitamin important in vision and bone growth]. i am not sure if you heard about Green Cream but it is one of the biggest forum on Acne.Org as well..

here's a brief description:

"Green Cream® is a high potency retinol that is scientifically formulated to repair sundamage and reverse the effects of aging skin. Green Cream's proprietary delivery mechanism, Green Polymer Cooling Gel (GPCG) allows it to carry one of the highest concentrations of retinol on the market today while minimizing the side effects commonly associated with using such an active product. The result for users is a younger looking, smoother and more luminous skin"

so what do you think about that?? the only thing im really worried about is the purging period.. people who are in love with this GC said they would never be without this Green cream for the rest of their lives but the purging period was like hell because all the bad stuffs thats been sitting under your skins going to come out and youre going to have a horrible break out...it last for 2weeks but after that, u will see a good result.. it takes a few months to see it working and to achieve a max. result, u must stick with it for a year..and some said acne comes back when you stop using it..

let me know what you think about paulas, green cream and my current regimen.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!! and ur regimen rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!=]

p.s. which pearl cream or placenta cream do you recommend? do u have any website that sells a good one? or know a store that carries a good one?

so what temp should the water be when rinsing your face? if i let hot water run on my face, my face is annihilated/dry/discolored/red like crazy. if i use cold, i feel it's not good enough.. so what, warm? cool? right in the middle?

Hey...This regime actually looks quite interesting. I seem to agree with the fact that your skin, left alone, could regenerate itself without the aid of creams and crap. However, I've been using BP for well over 3 months now in combination with anti-biotic pills for acne and my acne seems to be doing better. Are you suggesting that I stop using BP and start using vinegar instead?

Will it be better for my skin in the long-term?

I just wanted to say thanks so much Jan Carlo. I came across your water only method back in July and I dropped all I was using on my skin and started with just water. I also added some other things like aloe and changed from liquid to mineral makeup. My skin is totally clear now and my redmarks are almost gone!! It didn't happen over night and it took time like you said but it was worth the wait. I actually have my life back now and I don't have to hide in the house cause of acne! I used BP for about 5 years and my skin looks and feels so much better without it.

Is there a such thing as becoming dependant on ACV? I wanna start using some for my redmarks, but I'm afraid that eventually when I stop using it I'll go through another initial breakout.

PS. On April 1st I hit the 6 month mark. =) Still coming along, slowly but hopefully surely. My skin is a LOT smoother and only a few zits here and there. However, darrrrn these redmarks!

Is there a such thing as becoming dependant on ACV? I wanna start using some for my redmarks, but I'm afraid that eventually when I stop using it I'll go through another initial breakout.

PS. On April 1st I hit the 6 month mark. =) Still coming along, slowly but hopefully surely. My skin is a LOT smoother and only a few zits here and there. However, darrrrn these redmarks!

I do believe you that not using topicals is better for acne, but, I think that diet and exercise also play a major role. Make sure you are getting enough of all of the necessary vitamins and minerals, and get a lot of exercise along with not using topicals for optimal improvement.

I really think people should try this! If it worked for us I'm sure it would work for many others!!

Jan Carlo, I am going to start your famous/infamous regimen today. After realizing that my biggest problem this past year+ has not really been acne, but redness/dryness/irritation, I have decided that it was time to stop loading my face up with globs of chemicals on a daily basis. Most recently, I have bought a wide variety of "Extra Gentle" cleansers (after faithfully using Clearasil Ultra for about two years), but they ALWAYS dry my face out! So today I will take the plunge, and do my best to live without all those harsh chemicals.

I might modify your regimen a little though, at first. Since I am still somewhat wary of using NO facewash, I was thinking about buying Cetaphil's cleanser. And since I still might want to eliminate a few zits in a timely manner, would it be so wrong to buy a small tube of spot treatment to use at night? While this may sound a bet excessive compared to your all-natural, barebones regiment, it is a DRASTIC step down from what I had been using for the past year or two. We're talking loads of Clearasil Ultra face wash and 10% BP cream, Retin-A, occasionally Persa Gel, multiple brands of "acne-fighting" moisturizer, and BenzaClin. So what do you think? Does that sound like a good start to a mostly chemical-free regimen?

Acne seems to be a man made problem which is becoming more wide spread. Acne is symptom of a deeper problem, which is why it is no surprise that dermatologists have such little success with their patients. They provide treatments for the symptom but never fix the root cause of the problem, this means that a patient will be forever clearing up an external problem without adressing the reasoning behind it.

Alot of the products people put on their face only breakdown the skins own natural defenses, which is in part a reason why adult acne is becoming more prevalent.