Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DAY 179 (that's one day short of 6 months) WATER ONLY , no soaps, no BP, no topicals. WATER ONLY for 179 days. Hot water dip for 92 days, skipping some days though. No shampoo for 51 days (using the NO POO method).

My diet was NOT great over Christmas. I ate a lot of jolly ranchers, peach gummy rings, some chocolate, one packet of ramen, some candied peanuts, applesauce cake and even ham. Other than that.... Drank mostly water and ate plenty of veggies, some walnuts and lean turkey and some fish. I've also been mixing olive oil with the canola oil I cook with. Not sure if that's helping my skin but hopefully it's good for my heart. Interesting note: my face didn't seem to suffer for these Christmastime indulgences. Exercised almost everyday walking aerobics and weights. Actually LOST a few pounds over this time .

As for the face, still getting break outs, but doing better. About 5 zits OR LESS a week. Mostly they are on my upper cheeks , where I put the most BP when I was still using it. But I also get some lumps or bumps right near and behind the hairline ( in the sideburn area if I were a man). My forehead is nearly perfect, really my whole T zone (forehead, nose, cheek area just next to nose, upper lip and chin look great. I hardly ever break out in this zone now. My jawline is also in good shape, very few zits, but I never really got many breakouts on my jaw area anyway. Temples are nearly totally clear. It's just the cheek bone area and just below it that still get bumps. Right now I'd say I'm holding at between mild and moderate acne.

On the bright side, most of the bumps come and go away in a day or so. When I was using BP and soap , I remember the occasional bump lingering for months. More progress, I continue to have WAY fewer black heads than when using BP and soap. The blackheads I do have are tiny. Unfortunately, those blasted pink marks still take too long to fade. I wish I knew of something that would make them just be gone today. Skin tone continues to feel great though.

I feel hopeful at this 6 month mark, but I seriously wish my face were 100 percent clear and model perfect NOW!!!! I can dream can't I? Really, a person shouldn't have to live 25 yrs with acne. Bp did give me a few years with clear skin (thank God I had perfect skin for my first year as a high school teacher) but I am really convinced that BP also prolonged my problem. Right now, my facee is about the same as when I was using soap and BP.... so, my mind's made up.... no more soap or topicals for my face, ever.

Happy New Year to all .

Heres my regimen (It's basically doing nothing to my face at all).

1.Go to the pool swim laps fpr about 30 min.

2.Sit in sauna for about 15 min.

3.Jump back in pool for a few min.

4.take shower

Pretty easy if you belong to a pool if not it does not really matter either...

DAY 179 (that's one day short of 6 months) WATER ONLY , no soaps, no BP, no topicals. WATER ONLY for 179 days. Hot water dip for 92 days, skipping some days though. No shampoo for 51 days (using the NO POO method).

My diet was NOT great over Christmas. I ate a lot of jolly ranchers, peach gummy rings, some chocolate, one packet of ramen, some candied peanuts, applesauce cake and even ham. Other than that.... Drank mostly water and ate plenty of veggies, some walnuts and lean turkey and some fish. I've also been mixing olive oil with the canola oil I cook with. Not sure if that's helping my skin but hopefully it's good for my heart. Interesting note: my face didn't seem to suffer for these Christmastime indulgences. Exercised almost everyday walking aerobics and weights. Actually LOST a few pounds over this time .

As for the face, still getting break outs, but doing better. About 5 zits OR LESS a week. Mostly they are on my upper cheeks , where I put the most BP when I was still using it. But I also get some lumps or bumps right near and behind the hairline ( in the sideburn area if I were a man). My forehead is nearly perfect, really my whole T zone (forehead, nose, cheek area just next to nose, upper lip and chin look great. I hardly ever break out in this zone now. My jawline is also in good shape, very few zits, but I never really got many breakouts on my jaw area anyway. Temples are nearly totally clear. It's just the cheek bone area and just below it that still get bumps. Right now I'd say I'm holding at between mild and moderate acne.

On the bright side, most of the bumps come and go away in a day or so. When I was using BP and soap , I remember the occasional bump lingering for months. More progress, I continue to have WAY fewer black heads than when using BP and soap. The blackheads I do have are tiny. Unfortunately, those blasted pink marks still take too long to fade. I wish I knew of something that would make them just be gone today. Skin tone continues to feel great though.

I feel hopeful at this 6 month mark, but I seriously wish my face were 100 percent clear and model perfect NOW!!!! I can dream can't I? Really, a person shouldn't have to live 25 yrs with acne. Bp did give me a few years with clear skin (thank God I had perfect skin for my first year as a high school teacher) but I am really convinced that BP also prolonged my problem. Right now, my facee is about the same as when I was using soap and BP.... so, my mind's made up.... no more soap or topicals for my face, ever.

Happy New Year to all .

For anyone who's tried this, does it help fade scars? I heard that bp makes red/brown marks stay weeks longer than they should on your face. Also, how long does it take for your skin to get used to not having bp on it?

it's been a while, but i'm back. i won't be regularly posting here too much anymore. please keep this alive, and share the word. have a good new year.

only those who persevere and keep their faith will get good fruits.

this truly works!

i've been clear, and still clear. I don't do anything to my face at all.

ALTHOUGH, here are some things i've learned over the past few months:

-I am clear, yes, but my skin is still as vulnerable as it was to acne. If I aggravate my skin through some way, I get acne.

-Messing up my sleep cycle and sleeping less than 4 hours seem to aggravate my skin and 1 small pimple will form

-Food doesn't really matter too much - although it has an effect on the quality of the skin. Eat healthy!

-Live healthy, exercise, and with enough sleep - you'll continue being clear FOR LIFE!

good luck!

189 Days WATER ONLY. no soap, no cleansers, no BP. WATER ONLY for 189 days. This is Day 102 for doing the hot water dip, skipping some days though. No shampoo for 60 days (NO POO method).

Diet was up and down this week AS USUAL. I always eat lots of veggies and drink water but also splurge on candy and white floured foods and chips and chocolate on a regular basis. I have not found any link between any particular food and acne. Not saying there is none, it's just that when I eat all healthy, all the time, my face doesn't magically clear up. For example, I was recently sick for a few days and didn't eat hardly anything during that time... no change in my face. Also, I recall a trip years ago when I got sick and didn't eat hardly anything for a week and my face didn't change then. Like most people I too eat more junk during Halloween, Valentines and Christmas. Haven't noticed that my face gets any worse for it. I also have known folks who eat Fast Food, drink sodas nonstop and hate vegetables and they have gorgeous skin.

The only connection that I may have noticed with diet : There was a few years in the 90s when I severely restricting my Fat intake, ,you know during that Fat Free craze. At that time, I was into the first 2 yrs of using BP and my face was clear so I don't know if it was the BP or diet or combinatin (note that I did eat tons of fat free junk food at this time). Just a thought...maybe too many or an imbalance of fats in the diet may affect acne prone skin?

Jan Carlo has wondered in his previous posts if everyone has a threshold, that when that threshold is passes and a person eats too much junk, the body can't handle it and the excess causes the body to break out. Well, I cut calories from time to time to keep my weight in check and frankly haven't noticed that when I eat less (and therefore less junk) that my face is better. But, I certainly agree that there is much to be said about Moderation. Too much trash and not enough good healthy live food can't be good for our skin.

As for exercise..... For years, I didn't exercise at all and now I do so almost everyday. No change in my acne that I can link between activity/ sweat and acne. The only thing I know for sure is that hormones affect flare ups (I'm female). Perhaps if exercise or sugar or too many fats makes our hormones go out of balance that would cause breakouts. If that is true then just be mindful and try to pay attention to those factors in your life. And on that line of thinking.....eggs and poultry and milk products (because of the added hormones ) would be worth avoiding or limiting ?

Now that I've said that, I am going to start skipping this diet/ exercise info, unless I notice some correlation between diet and acne. So far, I can't link the two after 189 days, but then again I haven't really removed and reintroduced any foods to find out for sure.

Face is looking pretty good these days. I haven't had any major flare ups. Maybe 4 or 5 small zits this week. The zits I get now are smaller and less inflamed, going away faster. Again, much fewer blackheads than when using BP and soap. Black heads are smaller and less noticeable. Not as many stubborn ones as I used to have when using BP. You know the kind that won't budge if you try to extract them. Now , on the rare occasionI try to extract a blackhead it usually does so easily.

I have not used shampoo on my hair in 60 days, instead I am doing the NO POO. Hair looks good, it’s shiney and soft.

I have outlined this NO POO method in a previous post. If you are curious just scroll back a few posts and check it out.

Right now, my face is not acne free, but it's as good as the past few years using soap and BP and I AM FREE from products and I AM NOT as obsessed with my face as I once was. Less washing, less mirror checks and I don't feel as hopeless. At 35, I actually see the light at the end of the tunnel and feel like I will eventually grow out of acne, something I thought would never happen before. It has been tough at times during the past 6 months but I'm am SOOOO GLAD that I tried this WATER ONLY regimen. No more bleached hair and shirts from BP. No redness or cracking and dryness and oilyness that are the result of overwashing, soap and BP. My face is softer and the acne, while there are occasional breakouts, it is subsiding.

DAY 205 WATER ONLY No soap, no cleansers, NO BP NO topicals WATER ONLY for 205 days.

Hot dip for 120 days. NO POO hair care method for 79 days.

5 zits this week. Only two currently a bit inflamed. These are hormonal because it's close to that time of the month. Still lots of those ugly red splotches. IT TAKES SOOO LONG FOR THEM TO FADE , ,UGH! Here's where the zits are: Except in that place right above and between the eyebrows, my forehead is perfect. Right temple is perfect. Lower left temple has two zits . Right cheekbone has one zit and one zit on my chin. The rest only have minor blackheads and those red splotches which make my face look worse than it is. A big difference and improvement from when I first weaned myself off BP and soap and my face was almost covered in zits and nasty blackheads . My face now , using water only and washing lightly and infrequently, is about the same as when I was using gobs of BP and overwashing with soap .

I do the hot water dip much less frequently now. About every two or three days. I only let the water splash on my face for a few seconds on days I don't hot dip. NO OILy skin , NO DRY FLAKES and much fewer blackheads and I am washing my face with WATER ONLY and very little.

I still find myself touching my face when watching t.v. or reading, kind of searching for bumps. This is definitely a habit that is hard to break. I think this may exaccerbate acne too, turn little zits into bigger ones. I notice my face always looks better when I touch or pick less.

Update on NO POO hair care. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS!!!! My hair is thicker and shinier and the areas that thinned a bit are growing back great!!!! Dump your shampoo (even your SLS free shampoo) and try the NO POO method for just one week!!!! If you want the instructions it is in a previous post. But.... I recently changed my NO POO routine a bit..... I now use only 1 teaspoon of baking soda to 2 cups of water and 1 Tbsp of ACV to 3 cups of water.

DAY 205 WATER ONLY No soap, no cleansers, NO BP NO topicals WATER ONLY for 205 days.

Hot dip for 120 days. NO POO hair care method for 79 days.

bump!

it's good to see you guys active still.

special mention to Frumpy Bumpy for making this post alive.

spread the word!

by the way... i'm still clear :)

scars are there, but who cares - i'm as clear as i can be.

DAY 224 WATER ONLY. no soap, no bp, no topicals WATER ONLY for 224 DAYS.

hot water dip 137 days (skipping days more and more)

No Poo shampoo method 97 days

I had been using Sulfur soap on my scalp for a scalp infection I have suffered with for years and noticed my back and some parts of my face starting breaking out (I haven't backne for a long time).... confirming that soap definitely makes me break out. So I stopped using the Sulfur soap on my scalp and went back to NO POO for my hair.

I am barely just splashing my face with water most days and sometimes doing the hot dip method on others.

I still break out but face is continuing to improve. Forehead and temples are great, ,nearly perfect. My cheeks are the last hold out, I get some bumps (not white heads, and not exactly cysts) every few days. Black heads are much much better, MUCH FEWER and smaller. Face is not at all oily, maybe a tad dry if I do an exercise walk outside when it's bitter cold. But I never moisterize.

The worst part to my face right now, the part that really makes me embarassed, are red marks. They take so long to fade.

BY THE WAY , I posted a picture... it's a 2-3 months old. You can see that there are lots of red marks on my cheeks and near temple. I will try to update to show progress. I have some old pics too that I will post to show how bad my face was when I went off BP. If I had the nerve I'd put photos of me from my teens and twenties and you'd see that my acne then was almost nothing compared to right after I got off BP . Which proves that BP made my skin dependent on it and without it, much worse.

Did anyone experience success going straight to water only without the vinegar stage? I'm doing the DIP regimen which is basically the same thing and am hoping for the beeessstt.

Hi, I signed up just for this thread because I am hopeful it can help me out. I have some questions and such, though, and I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me out. Sorry if any of it has been answered before but I'm not up on buzz words and let's be honest - who has time to trawl a 38 page thread?

Basically my skin type is pretty weak. I am really, really sensitive on my face and have been since about age 16 (turning 20 very soon). I am slightly oily, but not very. I do not touch unless there is a really aggravating itch that won't go away. I've been on Dan's BP regimen for about a month and I've found that it has made my face skin feel "weaker" as previously mentioned in this thread. It doesn't work 100% and I've been willing to stick it out, but finding this thread makes me think I should try the more natural option of eventually getting to hot water. Nobody wants wrinkles or scars if they can avoid it, and a "natural" regimen that lets my skin rebuild would be fantastic.

So here goes:

- When I slowly come off the BP do I leave a couple of days then immediately start using vinegar?

- What kind of vinegar are we even talking about?

- Where can you usually buy it?

- How much should you use?

- How long do you leave it on the face?

- Do you wash it off afterwards?

- Do you make sure to wash your hands before washing your face with the hot water?

- When it is cold out and skin gets dry, when should you moisturise? Just once a day?

- What's the general consensus about a couple of cups of tea a week late at night?

- How about shaving? What kind of lather should I be using?

Additional information about me: I live in the UK, lift weights and run 3x weekly (mon/wed/fri mornings), have been cutting down on sugar, take cod liver oil tablets (healthy joints) and multivitamins + iron.

Cheers very much folks.

if you're determined, you can look it up here. all info are in the first post. i did the grunt work. you now have to do your part. you can start going backwards from the last if you want some additional detailed insights.

Basically, our skin naturally, was structured for it to be able to control and maintain itself, just like how our body produces certain amount of hormones and etc to maintain homeostasis

I am currently on accutane and will be off as of March 23rd. I am definitely going to do this, because I would think this would be a prime state for me to try this in. I have been using nothing but cetaphil gentle cleanser and moisturizer for the past 6 months and I think I will just start right off with water/moisturizer. I am going to use the moisturizer because if I don't my face looks like a snow ball. I have a few questions though.

I use hair gel, so would it be ok to go with the no shampoo method? I don't use that much and it isn't actually gel either. It's Sumo Tech by bumble and bumble, which is a wax. I have only been washing with Nizoral every 3-4 days and I put conditioner + a lot of liquid vitamin E in it and wash it out with water later or else my hair get ridiculously dry. I just don't know if water is enough to wash out the chemicals from my hair product, which I won't give up using.

I also wanted to know if it is ok to moisturize with no cleanser. My face is really dry and if I did that I would only be using water at night or early morning before I head out. Is this ok?

werd

I used alot of products on my face over the years, and I found out by myself that taking everything away and off your face except for water and a mild face wash works the best....using harsh products on your skin like BP is crazy to me. The skin produces it's own oils to protect itself and all the products and washing only makes it worse.

Washing your face once or twice a day is enough, now in the morning all i do is wash with cool water and forget about your face, no touching or anything and see the difference, it really works. You will still get pimples but they will heal/dry faster.

Just don't touch them whatever you do.

I hate people who say put this and this all over your face, it makes it so much worse. It's why when i went camping my face always cleared up because I forgot about it and left everything off it, I still wear makeup, moist etcetc just keep the harsh acne/face products off.

They say the problem comes from the inside, so why are we all clogging and aggravating our skin on the outside keep everything off and let your skin breath and heal wish I did this earlier. Hell to all of the adds/acne products.

I'm not going to wash my upper back or middle chest too because I get acne there as well. Is there anything I should look out for as far as funguses go? I live a very clean life and don't plan on picking up any stray cats or anything anytime soon btw.

This is the most brilliant post ever, wish I had found it 2 years ago.

I recently got out of boot camp and of course it sucked but I noticed that everybody with clear skin barely even touched their face in the shower

(yea i had to shower with 80 other guys unfortunatly) they just splashed some water on their face, washed off with some body soap and went

on about their business. Also, I went in the bathroom at night on a few occasions and found a guy with real bad acne smearing some

cream all over his face. Makes you wonder huh? these acne meds are a joke...

Before going into boot camp I was using the dip method and it worked pretty good but my pores were still real big and i was breakin out a bit

because i just abrubtly stopped using all meds/soaps/etc. After my discovery in boot camp I have not been using any regimen or method at all.

Just take a shower at night, wash my hair, and wash off my body with soap and just splashing some hot water on my face. Well guess what? it is really

working, my skin is looking great and my pores have shrunk alot makin my skin look alot more healthy. Instead of wakin up with like 3-6 whiteheads everyday now

I have one like every other day or every 3 days, so my skin is slowly getting better and hopefully soon my acne will be a thing of the past.

So enough rambling, just wanted to give this thread 2 thumbs up and say that water is the way to go.

Please excuse my language everyone but holy fucking cow I am fucking clear!!!!! I haven't got any new spots in a couple weeks now and even last week during my period I didn't break out!!! I am amazed with how good my skin looks. I have about 5 red marks and 2 little scars but my skin looks almost flawless with makeup and not bad without makeup. I was doing the dip 2 times a day for a while. Now all I do is splash with hot water in the morning then apply acv then mineral makeup. At night I remove my makeup with hot water and cetaphil then apply acv. I also steam a couple times a week and do a honey mask with organic honey. I'm now one of those people who can just wash with water and go! After years of struggling with acne and trying so many topicals I'm so happy to be getting my life back and not obsessing so much over having to spend so much time and money to have decent skin! I'm proud of myself cause I've learned to stop picking at my face and constantly checking it in the mirror too. I'm pretty sure the cause of my breakouts were from liquid makeup and all the acne topicals I was using. Since I stopped using all that a few months ago my skin just keeps improving. I went from having new spots everyday and tons of red marks to now just having a few fading redmarks. It took time and a lot of patience but it was worth it.

Hey guys I just started this "regimen" today. I was currently using the Arbonne products and they helped about 50% of my zits. I usually get 1-2 new whiteheads a day with the arbonne, which I can't live with >_>. Anyway So far so good, just a couple whiteheads today but like you said that's predicted. Oh and the ACV does wonders on my redmarks! My mom came up to me and told me that my face is already looking clearer!

But I always seem to pick at my zits, it's a horrible habit. I can't help it. I do it when I write or when I'm stressed. It takes me a minute to catch myself, and I feel like slapping my hands(punishing them :P). Anyone have any tips to break this habit?