Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

what up jan carlo.. still remember me? this thread is never seemingly ending. you have my deepest respect bro.

well i pretty much stop concerning my acne now as the more you are concern, they more it gets to you. im on the regime for 9 months now and i still have acne, moderate that is. i still pop out everyweek though, especially in the nose region. i have overactive sebums under there i guess. to be frank, i still pick my acne. damn it! i can help myself, it is so withdrawing if i don't pick and i was thinking of the light therapy to "cure" my acne. i started to get a little frustrated cause i have a big event coming out in two weeks time. im kinda desperate. any comments on this JC?

what up jan carlo.. still remember me? this thread is never seemingly ending. you have my deepest respect bro.

well i pretty much stop concerning my acne now as the more you are concern, they more it gets to you. im on the regime for 9 months now and i still have acne, moderate that is. i still pop out everyweek though, especially in the nose region. i have overactive sebums under there i guess. to be frank, i still pick my acne. damn it! i can help myself, it is so withdrawing if i don't pick and i was thinking of the light therapy to "cure" my acne. i started to get a little frustrated cause i have a big event coming out in two weeks time. im kinda desperate. any comments on this JC?

well man, it's been 9 months already. i don't know if you're doing this right or wrong, but compared to others who have been doing this too, they're getting great results. maybe you should check back on your regimen and figure out the extra things that you're doing that's aggravating your acne. the more you notice it, the more it gets aggravated.

but all in all, i don't really know how severe or mild your condition is. it's all up to you to make the decision based on what you've been doing.

yeah but what about blackheads? they are a form of acne, they dont come from medications either. i have mild acne and i do find that is brought out be using products. support hey hey. i don't know... its my natural disposition to be skeptical.

This sounds like a good idea and might work for me, but I just can't risk how far I've come with BP. I'm not going to try this until I am 100% perfect with my current regimen, then I will slowly stop using BP.

DAY 129 for me going WATER ONLY. no bp, no soap or cleansers. Just WATER ONLY 129 days. I've also been doing the hot dip for 45 days.

I ate some chocolate this past week, not too much just little amounts each day. Some ice cream (rare for me) Exercised 5 days .Drank lots of water. Otherwise I have been pretty good about my diet recently. Lots of veggies and fruits, tiny amounts of walnuts and flax oil.

I had a bad break out before my period recently but it came and went fast . Now I have almost no active acne on my face (approx. 2 zits on my face and one hidden behind my hairline, quite a few red marks though but they are lighter than before). FEWER black heads than when I was using BP. The red marks are fading and when I do get a zit it fades much faster than when I used soap and BP.

There are still bad breakouts that come but I can definitely say that overall my face is improving. When I look closely at my skin, even though I don't use any products at all , it looks healthy in the areas where there are no leftover red splotches or acne. When I used BP it was always red, inflamed and sometimes cracked and dry in areas, almost always oily by the end of the day... no longer!!!! My face now feels balanced and clean even though I wash less and use no soap or products.

The more I reflect on my acne history, I now realize that products definitely made my acne worse over the years. There are pictures of me when I was about 14 with very mild acne. My high school graduation picture also has mild acne. SOme of my college age pictures I had fairly good skin. During high school and most of college I used nothing on my face just washed with Ivory soap. (should have used just water and got rid of the SLS shampoo, maybe I would have been acne free.) Then I used SA the summer after my junior yr in college. I remember taking it with me on a trip to Israel. Then, my senior year is when my acne got worse and sent me to BP. BP worked for a while and gave me PERFECT skin for a few years, but then its effects wore off and now , at age 35 (10 yrs later) ,I am still dealing with acne. I think that soap , , over washing, picking and SA and BP are what weakened my skin and made my acne last this long.

Gee, the pharmaceutical industry really did a number on me. Like so many young people with one or two zits .... I was so desperate and gullible. Not anymore though. My Dad once told me to not put anything on my face and to not wash it so much. WOW did he know what he was talking about. My aunt also said once to me that she never washed her face and I thought she was crazy. Now I can see that even though she never got out of grade school that she really has some insight.

Jan Carlo, ,thanks for your regimen. Out of desperation, I had already left BP and soap behind before I read your info here.... But it was your info that has kept me positive the past 4 months when I wanted to give up and run back to soap and or products. I wish more people would listen to your advice.

I decided to do this Water-Only Regime about a month ago and am 3 days into the second month. I started this for two reasons seeing as I was an exact example of what jan carlo stated as one of those poeple who doesn't actually have acne. My parents never had bad acne and have no scars on their faces. I don't have acne anywhere but my face. I got involved wiht proactive when I was in my early teens followed by other chemicals and my acne has gotten worse since then. I was also made fun of as a younger kid and that kind of took a tole on me in terms of my self esteem so I get really concerned about how I look sometimes. It is funny that after a month the only places I have acne are places where I have used BP and ceptaphil as opposed to the areas where I just used the ceptaphil and my skin is much better. I also dicovered the SLS in ceptaphil IS A BIG DEAL and whoever says it doesnt really irratate your skin is lieing. I used a SLS shampoo as a body wash for 3 weeks on my shoulders where I had not had acne ever and I could already see acne starting to form. 2 weeks after i went back to jsut water the acne is completly gone, so SLS is very bad. SLS is what I attribute most of my skins current state to. But anyways I was looking at frumpy's post about how the second month was the worst. I am starting to predict an awful second month as I am just getting into it and I am starting to see not necessarily zits just slight red bumps forming on my upper cheeks where I hadn't had acne in a very long time when I was using ceptaphil. Overall though I am getting used to the feeling of having normal un chemical ridden skin, yes it feels much different. That gunky feeling and the flakiness are almost completly gone except for on my upper cheeks where I can see the small red bumps. Overall I am predicting that by the end of this second month I will have much better looking skin. Also I just shaved for the first time with an actual razor and my skin feels really nice and smooth but I honestly can now see like 30 more red marks than I could before, it is very depressing. I am getting some Burt's bees radiance day cream for moisturizer since it is winter and my skin gets a little dried out every now and then. I will probably keep my progress posted on here for my own sake since I need somewhere to talk about this. But yeah, my birthday is on May 9th so I am planning on sticking to this regimine strictly till my birthday and having the best birthday present ever: CLEAR SKIN!

cetaphil cleanser

i used to wear foundation too way back during my first 4 months on this. i don't really recommend it, because it interferes with the progress. anyways, the cetaphil cleanser easily takes the make up off. if you're not improving, then it's the make-up.

this type of thing is highly belived in china. Im chinese and all my mom keeps on saying is , stop all products and just do nothing. Eat healthy, drink water, drink herbs, exercise. We use natural herbs to "cleanse" our body of toxic fluids and stuff and just let our body repair our skin. It's a shared common thought amonst chinese. When my mom asked her friends for tips for my acne.. they all basically gave the same answer. Eat healthy, drink water, drink tea, take this and that herb, avoid this and that type of food, etc. You rarely hear from a chinese person talk about all these american prescription creams and shit.

this type of thing is highly belived in china. Im chinese and all my mom keeps on saying is , stop all products and just do nothing. Eat healthy, drink water, drink herbs, exercise. We use natural herbs to "cleanse" our body of toxic fluids and stuff and just let our body repair our skin. It's a shared common thought amonst chinese. When my mom asked her friends for tips for my acne.. they all basically gave the same answer. Eat healthy, drink water, drink tea, take this and that herb, avoid this and that type of food, etc. You rarely hear from a chinese person talk about all these american prescription creams and shit.

good for you then

I am starting to believe that the acne on my neck is caused by using a wash cloth with nothing on it and rubbing lightly every nite. So tonight I will just let the water run on it as I put nothing on my neck anyway but I wear foundation and just use Netrogena clear soap for my face and seems to work great with a clean wash cloth. I still get some break outs on my face but a little neo cream helps loads.

Its time for another post.

It has been about a month and a half now. My predictions about having an awful second month where kind of true and kind of not true. I go to college in Madison and over thanksgiving break being at home and not having any worries or anything I was completly clear. I think I only got one new pimple while I was at home and the red marks faded a lot. But it has been a couple days since I got back to Madison and I think all that junk food I ate at home is catching up with me. It doesn't help that I am stuck eating cafeteria food although I do eat as healthy as I can. Tonight I shaved and of course every redmark from every pimple I have had is now much more visible. Although I have been using burt's bee's radiance night creme to help my face get some moisture in it and repair itself. It has been working very well, My skin is in much better condition. I wish I could say I am 99% clear but unfortuneatley I can't. I think one problem is the lighting in the bathroom is flourescent and that makes redmarks and acne much much worse. The one thing that is keeping me going right now is the fact that the skin on every other part of my body except my face is so clear and wonderful and I hope that eventually my face will fix itself. Self-esteem levels dipped kind of low tonight but hopefully when I wake up some of the redness will be gone and some of the pimples I popped will be healed up. Well I need to get some sleep, early class tomorrow.

Hello Jan Carlo and everyone else

I don't think that your regimen is that out-of-the-world. I think it is also something that people in the Organic community believe i.e. washing your face with water sometimes and using a mild cleanser at other times.

Here is my personal experience: I am 22 and like many of the posters here, have a family blessed with incredible skin. When I was young I used water to wash my face and never had a single break out. I attributed it to young genes. I only started using a facial wash/toner/moisturiser when a nurse came to my primary school to lecture us on the importance of using a 3-step cleaning system.

So being an obedient girl (how can a nurse be wrong, right?) I went home and told my mom that I needed these 3 products too. Perhaps if I had stuck with one brand, I would have been fine. But girls being girls, we love to experiment with new products and I soon had an array of stuff that included skin whitening/scrubs/masks... you name it. Everytime something new came out, I would rush to buy it from the local drugstore.

Well, as everyone can probably guess, the next thing I knew, my face started breaking out. To combat it, I would get a pimple cream or the equivalent to treat it. When something did not work, I blamed it on the brand and would go in search for the next, new miracle cream. I never thought that the products were to be blamed.

When my younger brother started breaking out due to puberty (just some spots on his forehead), he refused the advice of my mom to wash his face. He continued using water, much to my horror. He was always lazy about skincare and would never bother slapping on any products on his face. I, with my imperfections, would wonder how it is that he could treat his face so poorly. I thought that he would end up like me, pimply and scarred.

Well it turned out that the joke was on me because his face soon cleared up after he grew out of puberty. At the height of my breakout (around 17 years old), I had huge red pimples all over my cheeks and chin. In desperation, my mother took me to the doctor where I was prescribed antibiotics, Retin-A and some AHA face wash.

These things cleared me up for the first 3 months I was on them. The moment I was off the antibiotics, the pimples that I thought had left me forever came back again. They were definitely less severe, but it made me realise how much I had to depend on drugs if I wanted to keep my face in check. However, I was unwilling to take the oral medication anymore.

My skin became from red and pimply to red, less pimply and very thin. The Retin A combined with the AHA made my skin weak and blotchy. Everytime I went for facials, the beautician would ALWAYS remark on the fragility of my skin and ALWAYS reccommend their products as if they were the next new miracle. But by then, I was no longer naive and had given up on new fancy products.

The turning point came when my friend stumbled on a mineral makeup website called Monave. She raved about it and got me to try it. I did, and realised that the makeup did not aggravate my skin like other foundations. From then on, I got more intrigued and went to do research on organic skincare. The founder of Monave is like you, Jan Carlo, who believes that that cleansing should be minimal and uncomplicated.

After some experimentation with several organic products (even prganic brand switching is not something good for your skin), I settled on Aubrey's. This is what I did:

Cleanser: Aubrey's for sensitive skin

My "pimple cream": Aubrey's Aloe Vera

It has been about four months now and I am happy to say that my skin is happy and I currently have 0 zits. I have two recovering ones, which are scabby (because I cannot help picking at them).

Throughout these 4 months, I still had breakouts (usually two HUGE ASS pimples) and I wanted to give up. Sometimes, I would be in the bathroom, staring at the mirror with all my makeup off and trying to squeeze my pimples to death. I felt so terrible and wondered if I should try ANOTHER option. But truth was, I had nothing else to use anymore. I had exhausted everything and there were NO alternatives. Okay, actually, I have never tried Dan's Regime because I have never heard of it until now, but it's the same as blasting your pimples with pimple cream which I have done before anyways.

Now I have just started on Spectro Jel for acne and sensitive skin and of course, the aloe vera which I slather on my face every night, because my Aubrey's ran out and it is fucking expensive. So far so good too :)

I think the overall theme of your topic is to use as little products as possible, and where you have no choice, use the ones that do not contain harsh chemicals. Take care and hope everyone is doing well!

DAY 150: WATER ONLY. no bp, no soap, no cleansers NOTHING but WATER only for 150 days. hot water dip for 64 days (some days I skip this dip though).

Doing great. My diet has been up and down, chocolate is my weakness but I try not to eat too much of it or sugar or too much if any processed junk or food dyes. I continue to exercise almost everyday walking, aerobics and weight training.

Some new things I'm doing: I have been eating a teaspoon or so of cinnamon everyday (supposed to help with blood sugar ups and downs and therefore insuling hormones), I've been mixing extra virgin olive oil with my canola oil for cooking, stopped using jojoba oil on my skin and hair altogether (I don't need to moisterize because my skin is just right , not oily and not dry!!!! even though I haven't used soap in over 4 months). I have also been washing my hair using the NO POO method, no more shampoo of any kind and believe it or not my hair is looking and feeling shinier and softer and staying cleaner than ever. I just use baking soda and vinegar washes 2 x a week and I used to have to shampoo everyday.... Another change I am making a real effort not to pick, or touch my face.

My skin is looking great. I think I went for like 2 weeks without getting a pimple. Recently because my time of the month is near, I have gotten a few teeny tiny ones but they are SO insignificant compared to the bumps I used to get. Pale pink marks still need to fade though. If they were gone I'd be 80 percent or more clear, maybe 90 percent.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah and Happy New Year to all!!!!

DAY 150: WATER ONLY. no bp, no soap, no cleansers NOTHING but WATER only for 150 days. hot water dip for 64 days (some days I skip this dip though).

Thank you for posting! I just hit the 2 month mark and my spirits have been a little low lately with all the recent breakouts and continuous winter dry skin. Hearing that you're on your 5th month and coming along nicely really encourages me. =) About a month ago I too started going No Poo and it went great like I only needed to wash every couple days instead of everyday and the minimal acne on my head went away. But I was using just baking soda so after two weeks it left a white residue. Now I massage my scalp with baking soda and put a small amount of Kiss My Face organic shampoo for the rest of my hair and it's working great!

Again, thanks for posting and happy holiday too!!

Well I posted a couple weeks ago about how my second month was looking awful. Well I was wrong. After a week of acne it all startd to go away. Now about 2 months into only using water my skin is acne free other than one very faint red spot. My skin is finally getting used to the water and barely gets dried out anymore. The funny thing is my regime consists of taking a shower every other day. Otherwise I dont wash or touch my face. Since I have started running 3 miles everyother day my skins condition has improved greatly. Its funny that before I was so worried about my face and washed it twice a day with some sort of cleanser. Now with about two months of washing it once everyother day I am 99% clear. I eat pretty much whatever I want but I am pretty sure the one faint redspot on my face from a pimple I got last week is because I ate a huge bag of trail mix with m&m's in it. That much chocolate was bad. But I mean overall I just eat what I feel like and I hardly ever get pimples now. My skin is finally the right texture. You know that not dry but not oily look you see on people with completly clear skin. It is finally like that. It is such a nice self-esteem boost to know that my skin is clear. Trust me on this, This regimine is worth it. The first month and a half will suck. If you are someone who does not have acne on your body other than your face this is probably for you. For me it took about a month for my acne to start going away. It took another 2-3 weeks after that for my skin to stop being so dried out. I still put on lotion every now and then after I take a shower because this winter wind is brutal on the face. But for the most part my face is now the way I wanted it to be for so long. The good thign is it only gets better with time. So for anyone that is thinking about this and thinks they might be an example of a person who has used to many creams and washes jsut do it. I am living proof that if you are patient with this it will work out. I want to thank Jan Carlo and everyone who has been posting their results on here to keep me encouraged. Goodluck to everyone who is sarting or is already on the water only regimine

That's funny, jan. I have been a long-time visitor of the RED MARK forum. I first came here just like a week ago because I noticed there were 8000 posts on this forum! Anyways, I independently came to the same conclusion as you. I left a post on the RED MARK forum about 3 weeks ago or so explaining the progress I made just from cleansing twice a day and applying NO products--> Never had clearer skin in my life. I make a lot of similar points in my post about acne and they seem to be right. I am going to drop the cleanser soon and try your water-only idea.

DAY 163 WATER ONLY. no soap, no cleansers, no products , no BP etc. WATER ONLY. Day 78 Hot water dip (skipped some days though). 35 days going without shampoo ( NO POO method ).

This past week I ate well, mostly fruits and veggies, whole grains, beans, soy, tried to cut down on chicken and fish and eggs because I am beginning to think the hormones in them cause me to break out (like PMS) but not sure. Drank plenty of water, some unsweetened green tea. Worked out most days .

Still breaking out this week, maybe 6 zits this total past week, fewer by far than month 2. Even though I have a lot of pink splotches leftover I'd say my acne is between mild and moderate. About the same as when I used BP the past few years when it got to the point where it didn't work. WAY FEWER blackheads and much fewer clogged pores. WAY better than the 2nd month , so for those of you who are into that severe breakout stage HOLD ON and don't give up.

Right now, I am feeling very hopeful. My forehead is almost perfect. Cheeks and chin are broken out with a few bumps, but the worse part are those pink marks!!!!!! Skin is very soft and not dry and not greasy or oily or grubby even though I haven't used any soap/cleanser in 163 days. I haven't used any moisterizer in 39 days.

Recently I gave up shampoo too. Before, I was using the SLS free shampoos but now I use the NO POO method 1 Tblsp. of Baking SOda in 1 cup water, apply to roots and gently rub for 30 seconds. RINSE WELL. 2 Tblsp. of Apple Cider Vinegar in water applied to hair. Rub gently a few seconds. RINSE WELL. My hair is very shiney and soft and clean. I do this approximately 2 times a week, whereas before I had to wash every day or every other day. Since doing this NO POO shampoo, I have a lot fewer breakouts at my temples.

For those of you who are trying the water only/ no med route and you're having second thoughts, DON'T!!!! Please give this at least 6 months. Your face may get worse before better, especially if you are a product freak. Also, recognize that there will be ups and downs. Your face will not be horrible one day and cured and perfect the next. There will be good days and bad and the progress may be slow but just give it 6 months to find out how your face will look without all those cleansers, soaps, ointments, moisterizers etc. Good Luck

Happy Hanukah and Merry Christmas to all.

hey Guys , Ive been free from products for 95 days using mainly just water. I have recently started using ACV at night diluted 50/50 with water. Does that count as being prdocut free or would you suggest i even drop that to. It seems to be working quite well but i still break out daily.

Heres my regimen (It's basically doing nothing to my face at all).

1.Go to the pool swim laps fpr about 30 min.

2.Sit in sauna for about 15 min.

3.Jump back in pool for a few min.

4.take shower

Pretty easy if you belong to a pool if not it does not really matter either...

well i can tell u guys my bro has been using ph 5.5 water (made from this kangen water machine), just spraying it on his face at least twice a day, and his skin looks WAY better and all his cysts and nodules are gone. yes he had severe acne.

i'm currently trying it myself, coz after accutane i still occasionally get big bumps.

For anyone who's tried this, does it help fade scars? I heard that bp makes red/brown marks stay weeks longer than they should on your face. Also, how long does it take for your skin to get used to not having bp on it?