Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

yeah... i know how you feel.

im the author of the original post, by the way. this thread was buried for a while so I figured I should bump it just for fun before I slept yesterday. Hah, and you popped in.

And guess what time I slept, about 4AM. And guess what, no breakouts! I used to breakout whenever I would sleep that late, or stress too much, or eat certain foods in huge amounts. After following my theory for a year, I could all these extreme acne-causing things and not breakout.

I DO however breakout sometimes, but they're not too much as before when I used medications. I have red marks, but they're no problems - I don't even care about my face anymore - it's out of my to do list because of this.

Alright, enough rambling about myself. Was just too excited.

What do you believe caused your sudden breakouts, because i've never met a guy who would breakout all of a sudden even if he didn't breakout in his teens. Usually this happens to chicks because of hormonal issues or whatsover, or when they get pregnant.

I agree with you on all of your points, and you did the right thing to quite medications.

Now, here's my thing about your case - you've used medications for quite a while, so like I said in my original post, it damaged the structure of your skin and made it more prone to acne. To reverse it, you must let your skin heal. Now, the healing isn't instant. The skin on our face regenerates itself the slowest. Depending on your physique and many factors, it may take 6 to 8 months before you get your skin fully repaired. For me, it took about 10. It's not an overnight cure. As a matter of fact, it's not even a cure - it's just to allow your body to heal itself from all the damages medications have done to it.

Take that into consideration.

In addition, a moisturizer would help a lot - preferably Cetaphil's moisturizer.

Have fun, and I'd be glad if you post updates of yourself on this thread.

-

by the way, you shouldn't let this affect your confidence or self-esteem. it would be a downward spiral if you start having that kind of mindset. chicks read us like books, so they'll know.

well, i quit smoking (i was a pack a day+ smoker) and drinking coffee all at once, and my acne started pretty much right after that...i also got really really bad headaches for about 3 months afterwards. so bad that they had to do a spinal tap on me and STILL didnt figure out why i was getting them. i attribute those at least to the withdrawls, and im sure the quitting both of those at once probably threw off my hormone balance and more than likely attributed to my original flare up.

and you're definitely right about my skin being damaged. on top of the acne my overall complexion is just not as good. as far as the cetaphil moisturizer goes, i've tried it and it seems like every time i use it i wake up the next day with a few new pimples. it feels a bit too greasy for me, and from what i read the macadamia nut oil can be pore clogging. i dont have dry skin at all, in fact it didnt start to get this oily until i started moisturizing.

i'm gonna stick with the washing my face just once a day with this new face wash i have. i'll try it out for a month or so and see what happens. this will be the least i've put on my face in a long long time and it's definitely gotta be more gentle than the SA/BP etc etc. and i'm definitely tryin like hell to curb the stress and anxiety...i'm definitely getting better at it at least.

there will definitely be updates to come. :cool:

jan carlo,

I'm trying this (it's been about a week now) and I'm washing my face in the morning and night with only aveeno face bar soap. It says it's completely fragrance free plus hypoallergenic and non comedogenic.

also I am using a moisturizer that also is fragance-free and non-comedogenic but it says it's an AHA-based lotion. Is this okay? It doesn't irritate my skin at all, and even the cetaphil lotion made my skin sting. I used this face lotion before I started to regularly break out and it always worked really well for my skin.

I definitely agree with the minimalist approach here, but I'm not sure about using just water. It's just a horrible repeating cycle with people using harsh chemical products. I tried BP, and it left my face very red and the driest it's ever been (my skin is quite normal, usually; not particularily dry or oily).

Anyway, I started using an all natural tea tree homemade soap a few weeks ago (I made a thread about it). It's working wonders for me!! It's amazing what a gentle, natural bar of soap can do. I'm literally using nothing else. I have no active acne, and now I'm just trying to deal with red marks.

You say vinegar and baking soda help with fading of red marks?

There really is no point in me trying the water regimen because I am virtually clear. But if I WAS still getting acne, I would be open to it. (: Thanks for sharing.

hey jan carlo

I'm very interested in your idea. True, I wasnt suffering from any acne. However, I kept trying different stuff on my face and things seem to get worse. My dad was always telling me I'm putting too much stuff on my face and thats why I have acnes growing and my sis dont.

Anyhow, I'm currently on panoxy 5% (bp) and a topical antibotic. I've decided to gamble and take a try at your way :confused: . So I'm curious about using the vinegar. When do you start using it? How do you use it (do you like apply it over your face after or before wash) ? How long do you leave the vinegar on for? Which brand (will for example, apple vinegar or such other vingar products do)?

Sorry for all these questions and I hope this natural regimen will prove worthy despite its drawbacks at first. :)

Jan,

You may be interested in this topic, particularly yake's post:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...7entry1122597

As per an update on myself, I'm still waiting for my numerous redmarks to vanish (remember, these have been around since mid-to-late February, when I started the do-nothing regimen). I held off masturbation for three weeks and my more stubborn shallow scars all but vanished - I'm wondering if there's something to this (i.e., the vitamin D, zinc, and protein lost in ejaculation), and I wonder if it will have any effects on redmarks.

While on vacation, I had a few more breakouts across my cheeks comprised of extremely small pimples. Unfortunately, they were very numerous, and even less fortunately, they also are taking ages to heal.

I was considering using a "Green Tea Poultice" by Skintactix to help speed up my skin's healing process. I have a bit of faith in this company, because they seem to know most of what they're talking about (just read their acne tips: http://www.skintactix.com/acne_tips.htm) and they have excellent customer service. As an alternative I was considering Bio-Oil since Dami4n has had such success (http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=97977)

What do you think about these products? I'm leaning more towards the Green Tea Poultice right now.

fuck the red marks dude. the more you think about them, the more insecure you'll be. they'll vanish soon. don't worry.

well, one particular statement caught my eye -- that you stopped masturbation.

i gotta say... that's something not all men can handle, so good job. i did too, and it improved my sex drive.

but... there ARE improvements in your face, right? 4 months should be enough to see GREAT improvements.

along those months, i got some breakouts too, so don't freak. it's natural.

the skin regenerates itself completely every 6th month. you're not there yet.

about the skintactix, i personally haven't tried or heard about them, but it seems that they really do know what they're talking about, and have the same theory as mine.

i don't know though, it's your choice. if it were up to me, I wouldn't do it, because in my 4th month, I've been seeing improvements already, so I thought that if i kept it up, i would finally be clear, which I did.

have fun.

Great thread! Been on this regimen since late april-May! Natural e way to go!

fuck the red marks dude. the more you think about them, the more insecure you'll be. they'll vanish soon. don't worry.

well, one particular statement caught my eye -- that you stopped masturbation.

i gotta say... that's something not all men can handle, so good job. i did too, and it improved my sex drive.

but... there ARE improvements in your face, right? 4 months should be enough to see GREAT improvements.

along those months, i got some breakouts too, so don't freak. it's natural.

the skin regenerates itself completely every 6th month. you're not there yet.

about the skintactix, i personally haven't tried or heard about them, but it seems that they really do know what they're talking about, and have the same theory as mine.

i don't know though, it's your choice. if it were up to me, I wouldn't do it, because in my 4th month, I've been seeing improvements already, so I thought that if i kept it up, i would finally be clear, which I did.

have fun.

Hi Jan,

Glad to see you're still sticking with me. In a couple days I will be 4 months into the "do-nothing" regimen on the dot (began February 20th). Like I said, it's all a bit strange - before benzoyl peroxide, I'd always get pimples on the "T-zone" of my face - now I get very few pimples there, except that I do get numerous very small pimples on my forehead. I never used to get acne on my cheeks, but now I'm dealing with very numerous (although extremely small) pimples on my cheeks, and they take forever to heal - they just sit there, and sit there, and sit there some more (hence, redmarks). I've read before that the skin on the T-zone of our face is tougher than that of our cheeks, and therefore heals faster, although I can't verify this.

Basically, the *type* of acne I get is extremely mild - but unfortunately the pimples are very numerous, and they take a long time to heal, both of which I attribute to bp's adverse effects. I think because of all this, my skin only looks slightly better from when I started. I'm wondering if perhaps my sunblock I've been using recently on my face caused a few of these pimples.

I know before you've said that the skin regenerates itself completely after six months - this is heartening news. I'm wondering if, after the six month mark, after my face has gone a full six months without being ravaged by chemicals, it will start to deal with pimples properly (i.e., the pimples vanish quickly, and therefore no more redmarks).

Your thoughts would again be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tristam

i've had those small pimples too - lots of them, but small (since when I started this). I wrote about them I think on my first post, or somewhere around this thread. They'll go away soon, don't worry. It will take a while to get out of that phase, but there's an end. If you're still using vinegar, stop it. good luck.

Jan,

You're right. I read back through your first post and noticed that you noticed you had numerous small pimples, which are very visible in sunlight and a clear mirror. This is exactly the same with me, except that I'm a year and a half behind when you started the "do-nothing" regimen. >.<

I'm still definitely considering the "Green Tea Poultice" from Skintactix. The ingredients are natural, from what I can tell, so this follows the "no chemicals" mantra. As far as I'm concerned, it's exactly what my skin could use. Green Tea is anti-inflammatory, and so perhaps it would be effective at preventing these small pimples - at the same time, it has ingredients like Zinc, which should not only speed up the healing process of my redmarks, but of my skin in general.

I'm glad to see that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I just wish I could get to the end of the effing tunnel faster. :P

EDIT: Oh, and I haven't been using vinegar since March, so I'll update my signature.

I have read all 30 pages and I am in the first week of doing the "Laissez-fair" approach. I have had severe acne during HS and it has dropped off since college. I am 25 and currently have mild acne flare ups. I have tried everything on this planet and nothing ever truly gave me consistant clear skin. I have no acne on my body except for my chin and around my lips. That is the only spots that flare up. I have always wondered why is it only those spots. My family is acne free, with my mom having the occassional "stress" zit here and there. I have good scarring on my chin area and have started "fraxel" treatments. I just had one zap a week ago. The treatment requires absolutely NO application of ANY acne products for 10-12 days. Only mild cleanser (cetaphil) and moisturizer.

Of course, three weeks before my treatment, I had a flare up and was worried about going into treatment with a couple of active zits every other day or so. The doc said it would be fine, it is not that bad (of course we are always our own worst critic).

I was worried about doing nothing to my face. I have always had a strict regimine and never missed a session. But I had to do what I had to do. The first three days I saw a great improvement. I was gaining one or two zits every other day or so and now they are gone and I have had everything in control. I was amazed. I jumped on this site (i first learned of it when researching for "fraxel") and found this post. I have complete confidence in this approach. All my friends, my wife, family, just take the normal shower, and do not touch their face with any products. Sure someone may have the soft cleanser, and that may be it.

I want to be able to only use water. But mentally it is hard. I ahve been programmed to use products for over a decade. But for those who can't find the courage to do so, go for it. I think of everything I have tried and found no complete success.

Instead of using ONLY water, I do another approach, that is mostly a "mental" trick. I grab a wash cloth and swipe my bathroom sink to make it clean. I run hot water into the blocked sink, enough to put my hands in it and splash my face down. But what I do is take my cetaphil bar and take a couple of wipes on my hand and then swish it in the water. So the water is a bit soapy, but I am not putting it directly on my face. Then I take the water and splash it on my face. I am excited about this and I hope people take everyone's success in this.

I look at it like being hypnotized at a comedy show. If you have never seen it, a hypnotist will grab volunteers out of the crowd and bring them on stage to hypnotize. There are always people who it does not work on and there is always people who are in a trance. The comedian will do comical things with the hypnotized volunteers. But why do you think the other people couldnt get hypnotized? they didnt believe in it, they thought it was crock, they were afraid of the unknown and mentally, could not do it. You have to have 100% faith in this and maintain it!

I've been doing a "semi-nothing" routine for 2 weeks now. I stopped manually exfoliating, stopped putting neosporin or BP on my face, and have only used Cetaphil and emu oil. I work outside and therefore sweat thoughout the day, so I feel when I get home I must wash with something besides water. I only wash for around 5 seconds and then rinse off. It's hard not to exfoliate because I still have some flakiness here and there. I can also see that white gunk inside the pores on my nose and surrounding areas. My skin is very sensitve, even just splashing water on it will dry it out and cause flakes. I'm wondering if anybody else who has skin like this has done this regimen and their skin has somewhat normalized. I know it's only 2 weeks in, so I have a long time before I should see results. I just hope that the flakes will go away soon.

Hi.. im new here and i agree about using "natural remedies". Ever since i started using Baking soda wash and Apple cider vinegar (moisturizer after) iv noctice huge results. I got a breakout at first but i think thats b/c the vinegar sucked out all the new unformed zits(cyst's) that hadn't surfaced yet. I get acne on by back mostly but after 2 and a half weeks of BS and ACV i get only small ones and 2 maybe 3 live ones at a time. And red marks fade much quicker.

Another thing that works great is to take a bath in UNREFINED SEA SALT(A quich shower rince and moisturize afterwards). I noticed BIGGER RESULTS from this..my acne shriveled up in like half the time it would if i was on Pro Active(BP is SHIT for your skin trus me on this :snooty: ). Red marks Too.

Im a believer!!!!!!!!!! :dance:

Hey jan,

What sunscreen do you use and what kind of regeneration products or methods do you recommend/use - Emu, CP, exfoliation?

Also - sent you a PM, so check that out - it'd be awesome to hear more specifics of what you're doing/using.

~Tyler

My body acne has gone down so much since I don't use products on it. I need to use the BP solution until I get clearer since then I might try the vinegar and then to water to be natural. I really want to be more natural. hehe. Thanks for this thread!!!

Hey jan I have one more quick question (just started to go off my medications today :shifty: , the sooner I start, the sooner I get over with it..)

So, I have some whiteheads and pores that seem to be clogged up with oil and stuff (they look like tiny holes or circles on your face). Not only does the clogged pores look nasty, just the thought of them turning into pimiples, makes me want to squeeze them out... :confused: . So, any way to deal with that? Or just let it be and wait till its a pimple....well I dont want that...

can I apply vinegar on those pores and on whiteheads?

Thanks again.

btw, is it ok if I do the egg white mask thing? Have you tried it yourself?

hey jan, i have a quick question for you.

what was your skin's oil level like going into the do-nothing regimen? about 10 days ago i finally decided to ditch even my cleanser, and as a matter of fact, the only time my face sees any water is once i day when i shower. maybe twice on some days. anyways, i had pretty oily skin going in, which seemed to calm down after 4 or 5 days and then recently got really really oily over the past 2 days. just wondering if you experienced anything like this.

General Question for all people using this method:

Is anyone using just a gentle cleanser and water, or just water only?

The only thing that I'm doing now is cleansing gently with Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser, and Jessfoliation every other night. I'm considering going to just water, but have not decided yet.

thanks.

i've been doing the water-only regimen for about 2 weeks now. My routine is: wash with water only 5 days a week, and use a mild cleanser (cetaphil) 2 days a week. I started thinking about it, and using only water to wash the face seems a little dirty. Imagine using only water to wash your whole body. You stank ass! So, I think using Cetaphil a couple times a week is a good balance.

:D ...

MURAD HAS BEEN A PLEASNT EXPERIENCE F0R ME. IVE HAD ACNE THROUGHOUT MY YEARS 0F HIGH SCH000L.

MY FRIEND RECOMMENED MURAD( SHE ALSO HAD ANCE PROBLEMS), AND I WAS PATIENT IN USING THE PRODUCT AND MY FACE IS S0 CLEAN.. HAHA.. I AM HAPPY AND HAVE M0RE C0NFIDENCE. I N0 L0NGER HAVE T0 WASTE TIME P00TING 0N MAKE-UP P0UND F0R P0UND. JUST A LIL GL0SS AND IM 0WT THE D00R

my main reaction to the original post is HUH?!?!?!?

ignore acne and it will go away? stop using products, medication and eventually use nothing but water and you'll be clear? I don't know how it works but believe me it's true? :rolleyes:

Did you know that 54% of the people who read this had pasta for dinner? See, I can make up facts and put a % with them too.

Anyway, I call BS........ but I'm sure the person who wrote this had fun writing it.

I'm going to go read the "acne free in 3 days" ebook now......... *reads*........ ohhhhhhhhh, apples!!!!! Well I'll be damned! It's actually apples and enema's that cure acne....... silly us.