Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wait? I don't understand this? Is this saying that you should stop using medications and stuff. Because I use them and they work but then again I am expecting better results. So, if you just use water and instead of all the treatment it will help? This is like the opposite of the regimen then, right?

Yes :cool:

From my inbox:

jan, I appreciate the fact that you liked my post, but you forgot to give me advice on what to do, lol.

Quick background. My regimen is this

Neutrogena Facial Bar for Dry Skin + Moisturizer = Morning

Neutrogena Pore Refining Cleanswer + Moisturizer = Evening

I am definitely going to get rid of evening routine and just replace it with the morning one. I was wondering though, do you think this new regimen (facial bar in the morning and at night) will be a good transition before I go to water? I know you suggest apple cider vinegar, but I break out at random places on my face and it would be hard to tell where to apply it. Just looking for advice in general for a good transition, please hit me back.

Thanks.

When I initially started this, I was thinking about the same about the facial bar, but I read that soap through some experience from others produced bad results. I was scared, and didn't have enough faith in it compared to results from using vinegar. There was a post here about year ago that was spreaded REALLY good results about vinegar. A lot of people were having nice results, without much side effects, so I thought vinegar would be the best transition product.

I used to break out in random places too, so I used to put vinegar all over my face. I strangely liked the feeling of it, so I kept doing that until the 2nd month, where I only put it as spot treatment because I was having these rash-like acne, and while really small and unnoticeable, bothered me.

About a month ago, I tried to use Cetaphil Facial Bar (No a soap), and massaged my face with it. Mini rash-like acne appeared the next day. It scared the hell out of me because I've never had that for many months. Since then, I kept my hands off facial products. Right now, warm water and moisturizer. It's better than it sounds.

Your choice really. Experiment, and do what's best for you. If you really want me to pick which one, I'd go with vinegar. Maybe lemon instead if you don't want it. I've also tried lemon, but only for about 2 or maybe 3 weeks. I didn't see much improvemnt from it, but it certainly did not do anything bad. Maybe it works better? I don't know, and I hell am not putting anything on my face ever again.

Good luck.

I'll post this in the thread if you don't mind. :cool:

Been about a month now and i can see noticeable results from Jan Carlo's regime. Im an asian male, 17, who suffered from acne for the past 3 years. i've used bp, o2, more bps, dalacin t and lotsa lotsa bp! Acne changed my life and I deeply regretted it for the past 3 years! And in that 3 years of stupid medication, the girl that once had a crush on me wouldnt be ignoring me more and more because of my fucked-up face. It was hard, really really hard. I got more and more stressed as I can't concentrate on my studies and got retained on the first year of my seniors. And this year is my last year in high school and I need to look good so badly. So I did an intense acne research again and end up in this thread, I got glued to it and finished reading all the 22 pages, which I think has the highest potential to clear my acne. I think Jan is right about everything, acne product is such a scam!

I'm not breaking out big time now but i have acne marks all over my cheek and chin. I've threw all my acne products away and only use water to clean my face 3 - 4 times a day. I also use HEINZ Apple Cider Vinegar as 'on the spot treatment' but I dont do moisturizing as my face is oily. Im gonna try out the baking powder thing tomorrow! It's only a month and I cant wait to see what's next... It's all about you and time because your thoughts arent what makes your reality, but your beliefs are what makes you, your present you. Thanks Jan.

Sorry to say it but this a load of bunk in opinion. Firstly I have mild acne, comes with monthly hormones mostly and when I eat gluten (I have a gluten intolerance). I also have allergic skin because I have truly sensitive skin, many people think they do but don’t. I can also be prone eczema when irritated. I have not been able to wash my face with water SINCE I WAS A CHILD. If I do not use a cleanser on my face, and just go with water, I will break out, and it’s been that way since puberty, through my teen years and into my early and mid twenties – when my skin was very good. I use BP and AHA’s on my chin as I started to get hormonal breakouts about a couple of years ago. Before that I had quite envious skin. I use a mild cleanser, that does not contain any soaps, dyes, perfumes, drying agents or harsh chemicals and it is made to calm and moisturize skin (my skin gets really dry in the winter). Cleansers, a good non-irritating one, do not promote acne. I shudder to think that anyone with mild to moderate acne is using water on their face soley.

I’d also be wary of putting vinegar, even diluted, on your face, it has a pH level of 3, which is pretty acidic and will disrupt the natural and healthy pH balance of the skin. Healthy skin has a pH of 5.5. When this normal balance is disrupted, bacteria and fungus colonize more freely, causing infection, which can lead to or exacerbate acne. Lemon juice is even worse – pH of 2. Irritating the skin can cause acne too by the way. And anything that irritates the skin will damage it if used over time because it breaks down the skins natural barrier.

I use products that alter the pH of my skin, but only in conjunction with a non-greasy, skin calming moisturizer that has anti-oxidants that counter act the PB. If you’re going to be using PB, and AHA or BHA or vinegar you must, must, must use a moisturizer of some kind that suits your skin (oily, dry, normal, combo). I guess if you’re only doing spot treatment with these products you may not need moisturizer if your skin is oily. But if you’re going to use a moisturizer you gotta use some kind of cleanser to get it off in the morning. (NOT soap, and by the way cetaphil made me skin breakout). And for heavens sake the same thing applies to women who wear make-up! Water alone ill not remove foundation.

People should really educate THEMSELVES through multiple sources before following any one method. Perhaps it works for Carlos, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to work for you, trust nothing blindly.

Been about a month now and i can see noticeable results from Jan Carlo's regime. Im an asian male, 17, who suffered from acne for the past 3 years. i've used bp, o2, more bps, dalacin t and lotsa lotsa bp! Acne changed my life and I deeply regretted it for the past 3 years! And in that 3 years of stupid medication, the girl that once had a crush on me wouldnt be ignoring me more and more because of my fucked-up face. It was hard, really really hard. I got more and more stressed as I can't concentrate on my studies and got retained on the first year of my seniors. And this year is my last year in high school and I need to look good so badly. So I did an intense acne research again and end up in this thread, I got glued to it and finished reading all the 22 pages, which I think has the highest potential to clear my acne. I think Jan is right about everything, acne product is such a scam!

I'm not breaking out big time now but i have acne marks all over my cheek and chin. I've threw all my acne products away and only use water to clean my face 3 - 4 times a day. I also use HEINZ Apple Cider Vinegar as 'on the spot treatment' but I dont do moisturizing as my face is oily. Im gonna try out the baking powder thing tomorrow! It's only a month and I cant wait to see what's next... It's all about you and time because your thoughts arent what makes your reality, but your beliefs are what makes you, your present you. Thanks Jan.

I am DAMN excited about you!

You're welcome.

You read ALL 22 pages?! That's like climbing mount everest. Good job and I am proud of you.

Keep up the healthy lifestyle, don't touch your face, moisturize, and you'll end up like me - towards a CLEAR skin, and finally be FREE.

I started practicing this when I was 17, same as you. It has been more than a year already. I recently turned 18 and getting that clear skin is the best 18th Birthday present ever.

Finally, "Your thoughts aren't what makes your reality, but your beliefs are what makes you, your present you.

Sorry to say it but this a load of bunk in opinion. Firstly I have mild acne, comes with monthly hormones mostly and when I eat gluten (I have a gluten intolerance). I also have allergic skin because I have truly sensitive skin, many people think they do but don’t. I can also be prone eczema when irritated. I have not been able to wash my face with water SINCE I WAS A CHILD. If I do not use a cleanser on my face, and just go with water, I will break out, and it’s been that way since puberty, through my teen years and into my early and mid twenties – when my skin was very good. I use BP and AHA’s on my chin as I started to get hormonal breakouts about a couple of years ago. Before that I had quite envious skin. I use a mild cleanser, that does not contain any soaps, dyes, perfumes, drying agents or harsh chemicals and it is made to calm and moisturize skin (my skin gets really dry in the winter). Cleansers, a good non-irritating one, do not promote acne. I shudder to think that anyone with mild to moderate acne is using water on their face soley.

I’d also be wary of putting vinegar, even diluted, on your face, it has a pH level of 3, which is pretty acidic and will disrupt the natural and healthy pH balance of the skin. Healthy skin has a pH of 5.5. When this normal balance is disrupted, bacteria and fungus colonize more freely, causing infection, which can lead to or exacerbate acne. Lemon juice is even worse – pH of 2. Irritating the skin can cause acne too by the way. And anything that irritates the skin will damage it if used over time because it breaks down the skins natural barrier.

I use products that alter the pH of my skin, but only in conjunction with a non-greasy, skin calming moisturizer that has anti-oxidants that counter act the PB. If you’re going to be using PB, and AHA or BHA or vinegar you must, must, must use a moisturizer of some kind that suits your skin (oily, dry, normal, combo). I guess if you’re only doing spot treatment with these products you may not need moisturizer if your skin is oily. But if you’re going to use a moisturizer you gotta use some kind of cleanser to get it off in the morning. (NOT soap, and by the way cetaphil made me skin breakout). And for heavens sake the same thing applies to women who wear make-up! Water alone ill not remove foundation.

People should really educate THEMSELVES through multiple sources before following any one method. Perhaps it works for Carlos, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to work for you, trust nothing blindly.

If you read the thread, you'd see me mention that you should use some kind of cleanser if you wear makeup. In addition, you should educate YOURSELF that the whole world does not revolve on you, so if Cetaphil breaks you out, doesn't mean everyone else will break out from it, or if just using water doesn't help, doesn't mean everyone else are cursed with acne of your type, and just because you read a couple of sentences from this thread, doesn't mean you're free to comment on the two sentences you read, without proper information. I specifically mentioned that moisturizers should be used. This didn't just work for me, but for a lot of people. You should have figured that out already if you read the thread. Now how about you take your motivation to post something like this without having proper reading, and trial, and shove it up your ass. Good luck with the shoving.

Hey jan, how many months does it takes you to be free from acne [not entirely free but like 5 acne/month (small ones)]. Btw, I found out that i still have 1 no-so-noticeable cyst on my left cheek. And issit alright to put ACV on there as an on-the-spot treatment?

hmmm... about at the 8th or 10th month. 6th Month is where I'm kinda on the edge of the cliff, where diet and lifestyle directly relates with breakouts exponentially. In the 8th or 10th month, the slope became less steep. I'm at the 13th month, and it's only 1 or 2 acne a month, as if I'm a "normal person" again. I'm not entirely sure about these records, because I did not write a detailed journal about my progress, but they're around those month that I mentioned.

ACV is nice for big pimples in my experience. Takes the puss out fast, smooth, and easy.

Good luck

Ok got it.. But I still don't think i need moisturizer, my face wont get dry after washed and putting moisturizer makes my face moreee oily.

Update : I only breakout out 3 small acnes this week which means alot to me. I usually breakout out more than that. It's not even a month YET, but I already can see significant results from this regiment. What's really frustrating is the scars left behind, but I'm cool with that. Actually there's alot of ways to remove acne scarring.

Acne Scarring

Scars do follow serious acne. I suffered acne for the past 3 years and now I have acne pits on my face. The good news is that now that I have got my acne under control, the question is what to do about the remaining scars. Do not pick any acne. If you do not wish to spend some money, I think using baking powder as an exfoliater is the safest and cheapest idea around. Whatever you do be patient, and consistency is very important. And still there are several things you can do. And again, I would like to caution that it is important to seek the advice of a board-certified dermatologist/cosmetic surgeon who understands skin of colour.

Very bad acne scars are difficult, if not impossible, to clear up completely. But you can make significant improvements in your appearance. While a skilled cosmetic surgeon can help you, it is important to be realistic. Please do not expect baby-smooth skin.

- New Technology

In some cases, laser and light treatments have been effective in reducing acne scarring.

Laser and light treatments, in particular, are used to stimulate and renew the body’s natural collagen.

- Punch grafting and excision

A qualified dermatologist can graft skin from another part of your body to fill the ‘ice pick scars�. Dermatologists call this punch grafting.

In Punch excision, the acne scar is removed and no transplant or graft. After the skin is removed, the doctor stitches or tapes the normal skin together. In a few days the area begins to heal naturally. There’s very little scarring, although you may see a small marks.

For the above, you have to check whether there is a history of thick scarring or keloids in your family.

- Dermabrasion is like sanding the skin

If you decide to explore dermabrasion, make sure you consult a doctor with lots of experience. Dermabrasion is usually an effective treatment for people with lighter skin.

- Microdermabrasion

Microdermabrasion is gentler and safer than dermabrasion for Asian, olive and dark skin.

Layers of skin are not rubbed off, and you won’t need an anaesthetic. Because your skin will be gently “blasted� with fine particles, you’ll be asked to wear a protective eyewear to prevent the fine particles from damaging your eyes. The doctor will use a handheld instrument to spray tiny crystals of salt or aluminium oxide at the area being treated. The debris and top layer of the skin is swooped up with a vacuum like suction. This is a very superficial procedure, but it also stimulates collagen production and refreshes the skin.

- The Bottom Line

Please do not give up or stop mid way, or get discouraged. It may be tempting to bounce from doctor to doctor as you search for a quick fix for your scarring. Remember, there are no miracle cures.

Congratulations. Somehow that makes happy, yet jealous at the same time for beating me, lol.

About my scars, yes I do have them. It marks a trail of 7 years of acne. However, after the red marks that marked them were gone, they became less noticeable unless looked upon a magnifying glass, so I don't worry about them anymore. However, I do have them, that's a fact, and also that I won't have perfect perfect smooth skin. I probably will not do any of those procedures above especially microdemabrasion because there were many cases where it further worsened someone's acne, plus they cost a lot of mula. I am perfectly happy about my current skin.

I'm going to go ahead and try this, since my acne can't get much worse than it is now (by my usual acne standards). Jan, please check your inbox when you have a chance, I sent a PM with specific questions. Thanks!

I have two big pimples and few small ones last week, it's getting worst. But I know that it'll gone soon. No worries at all. Cuz it was a busy week, ate lots of junks and didnt drink enough water. And I still have lotsa acne marks trailing. I can't wait till next month, and btw, it's only my first month and I already can see significant results from my face. The only problem is the marks! *Grrrr*

oh man, junk is a total no no. seriously. el pollo loco ice creamS gave me ONE medium zit. It's gone now, but it lasted for 2 or 3 days. I promised myself to NEVER ever try something like that again. Regular ice cream don't break me out though.

I think you are one the right track. I start breaking out last year in July and it freaks me out. Like most people, I reach out for any acne medications I can find in the market and I've tried lots. Now to think back, there may be few factors that contribute to the break out... stress and (drum roll plsss)... women's soft spot for new facial product :lol:

So after piling loads of medications on my face and not getting result, its typical that one gets more and more desperate. I surf the net and stumble across this site. Have just started trying the Clear Skin regime when I come across this forum.

Many years back, I suffered mild acne and I stop using make-up and cleansers to switch to plain ol water. I did this because I thought most of my brothers don't use any cleansers and yet they don't have zits. My mom use plain water too and clear skin!!!

Reading this post is like a wake-up call. I think I'll switch back to water and update soon on my "progress" (finger crossed)

I have mild acne now. After using BP, I dun have pimples but I had bumps under my skin *yikes*.

:pray: Hope to achieve clear skin like what I used to have before July attacks...

God created me and my skin from tiny bits and chose to make me acne prone? Thanks God, I love you.

(note: sarcasm)

God created me and my skin from tiny bits and chose to make me acne prone? Thanks God, I love you.

(note: sarcasm)

This is supposed to be funny right? In this case, I'll do my fake giggle.

but really, you need some support or something? or is the post just random.

I think you are one the right track. I start breaking out last year in July and it freaks me out. Like most people, I reach out for any acne medications I can find in the market and I've tried lots. Now to think back, there may be few factors that contribute to the break out... stress and (drum roll plsss)... women's soft spot for new facial product :lol:

So after piling loads of medications on my face and not getting result, its typical that one gets more and more desperate. I surf the net and stumble across this site. Have just started trying the Clear Skin regime when I come across this forum.

Many years back, I suffered mild acne and I stop using make-up and cleansers to switch to plain ol water. I did this because I thought most of my brothers don't use any cleansers and yet they don't have zits. My mom use plain water too and clear skin!!!

Reading this post is like a wake-up call. I think I'll switch back to water and update soon on my "progress" (finger crossed)

I have mild acne now. After using BP, I dun have pimples but I had bumps under my skin *yikes*.

:pray: Hope to achieve clear skin like what I used to have before July attacks...

bumps under you skin?! [ugh (shudders)]

If you really have mild acne, then you have a really good chance of getting fast results.

Good luck, and have fun.

Hey jan. I have pretty much given up on your regimen, sorry to say. I suppose I still have four months to go after my initial, but great breakout by the end of 2005. I really believe that it works however, but I simply don't have the strength or confidence to go on the way I am. Perhaps four months from now, if I didn't use anything, I would start getting better. But I am after all a teenager, and perhaps by the time I'm 22, it'd be over, even with BP or other medications. I guess I'm back to square one. Ah well, I'd try it again another point in my life..

Seriously, you shouldn't quit what you have started. How long have you been doing this? I still broke out even at around the 5th month. Sometimes, I would get big breakouts, and although they would last significantly less than when I used medications, I still kept up. By the 10th month, on which I don't use cleansers, but only water and moisturizers, is when I seriously DO NOT get any kind of breakout with more than 2 pimples. If I stopped during my 3rd to 5th month where I still would get breakouts, even though not as massive as the initials, and went back to medications, I would not reach the 10th month and be as 99.9% clear as I am right now. I suggest you keep up. Show me a picture of your current condition right now if you can.

Anyways, have fun, and good luck.

Is it okay if I use white wine vinegar? That's all I have at home.

:shock: No. :naughty: Wine vinegar has a neutral pH value. Use Apple Cider Vinegar which is only 5 % acidity. Don't worry, ACV is cheap.

Hey Jan,

Ive been using your method for a week or two now and it does seem to be helping a bit.

I had been using a bp face wash for almost 4 years to keep my mild/moderate acne under control. However, at the age of 22 i thought that i shouldnt need to be doing this anymore and i felt that my continuous use of bp over the years was what had made me so susceptible to acne still at age 22. So i stopped cold turkey, and started using a face wash with tto in it. Boy did i have some breakouts. I broke out pretty badly for my standards and because i had been pretty clear with the bp i thought it was even worse than it was. It was bad though. This continued for a month or two. However about a week and a half ago, i thought what the hell and gave up even the tto wash and have been just using water to wash my face in the shower morning and night. I am still getting lots of pimples however i think that im getting less using just water than when i was using the tto face wash.

I really feel that your method is great and i know it works because my brother had acne as well but he never treated his and just used regular face washes and stuff and he eventually just used water and he outgrew his acne about age 21. He has used only water for years now with no acne. So it does work.

However, what i want to know is, can you describe your acne for me. I ask this because my acne is a bit diff to my brothers as his was mainly on the outsides of his face such as the cheeks and temples, whereas mine in focused mainly on my chin and upper lip area with a bit in the centre of the forehead. (so the T zone). My acne is also very pustular, the pimples i get are small white puss filled pimples, there normally not that red and they go come up and go away in a matter of days. Do you think the type matters?

If you could describe your type/area/severity etc for me i would appreciate it, thanks.