Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BASIC OVERVIEW

Basically, our skin naturally, was structured for it to be able to control and maintain itself, just like how our body produces certain amount of hormones and etc to maintain homeostasis. It produces the optimum amount of moisture, and etc... Naturally, it's not flawful and acne prone. (There are exceptions however, just like some people are born without limbs, some people are born with a skin very prone to acne. Now, of course I took this into consideration so I wrote down on my first post who I believe would benefit the most from this (ie: people who have no acne anywhere else except their face))

Now, the problem with some of us is that we use SO much medications, chemicals, and etc at our mild or even low moderate acne that eventually and overtime, the chemicals contained on these products (BP included) destroy our skin structures. In analogy, it's just like bombarding a city to eliminate all the bad guys, but at the same time, killing innocent ones.

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE

I am an acne sufferer. WAS an acne sufferer. I followed my research and experimented in my own skin. After a year, my results were excellent.

Here are mini updates I wrote in my journals regarding my condition:

UPDATES AND PROGRESS (Descending Order)

1/11/06 UPDATE: Well... what can I say - I'm clear. Been clear for many months. I can officially say that my skin has finally recovered from all these chemical damages done from commercial products such as Pro-Activ, Murad, BP, and etc... I don't care about my skin anymore. I don't take care of it, don't look at it, and even go against my diet advices. Why? Because I never get BAD BREAKOUTS anymore, even when after eating boxes and boxes of chocolates, pizza, and spicy stuff. I'm glad I started this. It's been a struggle waiting paitiently and faithfully, but my God, it was worth it.

Also, acne is not caused by dirt and oil production. However, excessive oil production is bad. In addition, Proactiv sucks! Lastly, Benzoyl Peroxide is a temporary acne prevention. However, if it works for you, then sucks for you since you'll be depending on it forever. Depending on water is not as bad as depending on medications.

Also, Benzoyl Peroxide has totally worked for me, but realizing that I will be dependent on it, I stopped. As a result, acne galore.

In addition, ProActiv has certainly worked for me, but realizing that I will be dependent on an over-priced product, I stopped. As a result, acne galore.

Hey ive kinda been doing this the past 3-4 weeks and my skin is looking ALOT better than before. I dont wanna jinx it but my skin is so much better now than it was when i was on acne medications. My red marks are looking better and pimples are coming and going(thats even if i get one). I like this because my skin feels alot more comfortable than washing it with harsh cleansers. I dont do the Vineger but i might try it out because it seems to help alot of people with their redmarks. I also use the Cetaphil cleanser at night to at least clean my skin and thats the most gentle cleanser.

My regimen is:

Morning-wash with water

Night-wash with Cetaphil and apply a littl bp only on the pimple.

You are very RIGHT! I had gone on accutane, but a certain food made my hormones go crazy (f*cking media lying that it's good for you it ruined my skin!)

ANYWAY, neither of my parents have acne scars on their face and yes, like you described my jaw and neck area is perfectly clear and always has been (knock on wood) and only sections of my face even after eating the bad food ever broke out.

if i had never gone on all those horrible meds, creams, face washes when my acne was milder I'm sure it would have vanished without a trace because now that I think of it I was MORE depressed over how red dry and irritated my face always was than i was about the acne! also, it's been almost seven years since i took accutane and this is where id disagree with you, i think accuatne works long term for some because whatever caused their skin to freak out isn't happening anymore and accutane overrode that, But for some, the problem is still there and so acne comes back.

FYI most acne cleansers have sodium laurel sulafte which is highly comedogenic and very irritaing. I use nothing on my face but neutrogena fragrance free soap and avoid acidic foods 9acids give me eczema) and if I didn't have these ugly little scars from ONE-TWO bad breakouts years ago my skin would be close to great now.

I WOULD NOT EVER USE ANY ACNE TREATMENT THAT MAKES YOUR FACE RED OR OVERLY DRY EVER YOUR SKIN WILL GET WORSE. AND MOST TREATMENTS DO JUST THAT> AVOID SLS IN CLEANSERS, ALCOHOL< AND MENTHOL>

Just before I grew out of my acne I came to the conclusion that for me, doing nothing was better than anything(Or at most keeping my regemin at a minimum).

If you want a product that kills bacteria better than anything and isn't harsh try manuka oil. If you want to replace the sebum on your skin use jojoba(Very similar to sebum) or emu. In fact, if you are trying to thicken the skin, emu oil works wonders for it and it's also great for taking out the red(As in red spots and red tone), kills bacteria, and conditions the skin really fast and well. Emu oil is a secret that most people don't know about that gets rid of dark circles under eyes because it's usually caused not by lack of sleep or alergies but by thin skin in that area, thus emu oil works wonders. I'd also do the innertalk tapes I've been talking about or the binaural beats as my stress and anxiety was ruining my life and they calmed me down instantly(Those also helped me get into meditation which combined relaxes me to no end).

I don't think anything on this thread can help people with real moderate acne either as that may require more things but for mild, mild-moderate people it can work wonders.

Oh ya, there were other things that pretty much cleared me at one time or another and weren't harsh at all but I didn't either like the smell(Neem oil), or couldn't be bothered with babysitting it(Kombucha tea). Other things that helped a lot were the aloe-niacimanide solution, the BC glacial clay(Expensive for people outside of BC area but the best clay there is), propolis tincture, tons of Vit C from food sources(Even though it was much less than taking even good absorbing pills, it still helped better and I healed fast), salt(with table or epsom), and aluminum oxide crystals. I experiemented with all of them either seperately or a few at a time and I was always pretty much clear with them but for some reason or another didn't continue, either for the cost or the hassle or whatever.

Sorry for the thread hijack, go on...

Yep! Thanks Chloe. I just examined my face in a mirror today, and my acned face a long time ago, which greatly depressed me whenever I look at my face, is now, GONE! I am very sure this method works. Very very, 100% sure. Although, not for all people though, just like what I said on my first post.

HOWEVER, MY POINT OF MAKING THIS TOPIC IS THAT THE MORE YOU USE MEDICATIONS, THE MORE YOU DAMAGE YOUR SKIN, AND MAKE IT ACNE PRONE. THIS METHOD IS THE BEST BECAUSE IT ALLOWS TO EFFECTIVELY JUST BE DEPENDENT ON WATER. (IN THE PAST WEEKS, I HAVE USED HOT WATER, NOT INSTANTLY HOT, BUT GRADUALLY WASHING MY FACE FROM WARM TO HOT (WASHING LENGTH: MAXIMUM OF 1 MINUTE)).

I know it seems absurd to just use water for acne, but guess what, it works.

Why, and how?

WELL, JUST LIKE WHAT I SAID, YOU MUST PERFORM THIS IN A GRADUAL MANNER. TRANSFERRING FROM USING MEDICATIONS, THEN QUIT AND USE WATER IMMEDIATELY WOULD OF COURSE BREAK YOU OUT, AND EVEN WORSE, MAKE IT TOTALLY WORSE AND CAUSE CYSTIC AND BIG ACNES.

I just made up the benzoyl peroxide to vinegar to water transition. I can't think of any other transition or substitute to vinegar, but I believe that that is the best mid transition.

I may be wrong with the accutane thing, and I accept that, because I had no experience with accutane. I just made up a hypothesis about it. However, this water thing really works.

In the past three day, my average sleep is 4 hours because of certain projects and etc, and guess what, you expect me to have breakouts right? Well, nope, that didn't happen. I don't know why, but even with vinegar, even by staying up late, I would still get breakouts, while with water, it is different.

Sorry though that this isn't a fast solution for acne. You still have to suffer gradually for an approximate length of like 3 to 4 months with various levels of breakouts. However, after your face have transitioned and healed itself from all those crap you put in your face, and Benzoyl Peroxide is included too as a crap, your face will be dependent on nothing else but HOT WATER. Hot water may irritate your face, but I guess it just depends on the individual. I know my face could handle a lot because it has been loaded with crap like benzoyl peroxide in the past so it's used to strong stuff, so I guess I could use HOT WATER.

Note: I do not use soap or anything, and am scared to use one. I don't need one because ACNE IS NOT CAUSED BY DIRT!

Anyways, there is no overnight solution, or weekly solution, but this solution would certainly work, but only after a few months.

Which is better, have an overnight solution such as Benzoyl Peroxide, but be entirely dependent on it forever, or have a long-term solution where you'll be entirely dependent on just WATER.

...yup, your choice is yours.

Just before I grew out of my acne I came to the conclusion that for me, doing nothing was better than anything(Or at most keeping my regemin at a minimum).

If you want a product that kills bacteria better than anything and isn't harsh try manuka oil. If you want to replace the sebum on your skin use jojoba(Very similar to sebum) or emu. In fact, if you are trying to thicken the skin, emu oil works wonders for it and it's also great for taking out the red(As in red spots and red tone), kills bacteria, and conditions the skin really fast and well. Emu oil is a secret that most people don't know about that gets rid of dark circles under eyes because it's usually caused not by lack of sleep or alergies but by thin skin in that area, thus emu oil works wonders. I'd also do the innertalk tapes I've been talking about or the binaural beats as my stress and anxiety was ruining my life and they calmed me down instantly(Those also helped me get into meditation which combined relaxes me to no end).

I don't think anything on this thread can help people with real moderate acne either as that may require more things but for mild, mild-moderate people it can work wonders.

Oh ya, there were other things that pretty much cleared me at one time or another and weren't harsh at all but I didn't either like the smell(Neem oil), or couldn't be bothered with babysitting it(Kombucha tea). Other things that helped a lot were the aloe-niacimanide solution, the BC glacial clay(Expensive for people outside of BC area but the best clay there is), propolis tincture, tons of Vit C from food sources(Even though it was much less than taking even good absorbing pills, it still helped better and I healed fast), salt(with table or epsom), and aluminum oxide crystals. I experiemented with all of them either seperately or a few at a time and I was always pretty much clear with them but for some reason or another didn't continue, either for the cost or the hassle or whatever.

Sorry for the thread hijack, go on...

so, how does this explain why I got acne in the first place when I was 14,...now 19 ? I never used anything other than soap and water before I got acne

When you were 14, your hormones, just like any other teenager, will be out of place because of that puberty/adolescent stage. Most people, at their teenager years have great possibilities of getting acne, because of our hormones changing which affects stuff that I don't want to go over. Stuff like sebum production and all those shizzies. Ok, now you ask why there are only a few who have acne? Why? Because those few, including you and me, are genetically, or somehow by some force of nature or something, got the bad type of skin, making us prone to acne. And that kind of skin, plus over-excited hormones = acne.

Now, the thing is, after adolescence, or puberty, or teenager years, our hormones will slowly balance itself, which means, less percentage of acquiring acne. That is why some of us rarely get acne after 20s. However, there are a big portion who still get acnes on their 20s or so. Usually, by the time one becomes 16 or 17, their hormones balances itself. Depends on the individual though.

Now this is the mistake everyone has been doing: Using strong medications, etc... to cure/prevent their acne because they believe that they have a high moderate or severe acne. Those medications, such as Accutane and such, are only for people who are truly acne prone: those who got it genetically. And those people are just a small percentage of people who actually has acne.

Most people, like me, and maybe you, have acne just because of our hormones being unbalanced during our adolescence years. It is not caused by our bad glands, but rather, by our hormones. Those are the ones with severe ones (cuz of bad glands and bad skin acquired genetically). So, we naturally just get acne during those times. Some people think that they have acne because of dirt, so they over-wash and over-scrub and stuff, making their skin more prone. Also, there are those who use strong medications, intended for only moderate or serious acne, such as Benzoyl Peroxide to cure their mild acne. This is dangerous because it will make it even worse.

Also, Benzoyl Peroxide will interfere with your sweat glands. This is not good for people who have mild acne, because we have normal glands, and if we constantly pour BP over it, it will ruin it, making you prone to wrinkles.

So, by doing all these shizzies, we all irritate and damage our skin, making it more proner to acne. I mean, doing those stuff are needed, but only to a small degree. And now that is where WATER comes.

Alright. I think I answered your question.

so, how does this explain why I got acne in the first place when I was 14,...now 19 ? I never used anything other than soap and water before I got acne

so you dont use any moisterizer/face wash or anything...or have you gradually toned it down..till you didnt have to use it anymore?

funny cuz my mother tells me the same thing...you put too many products on your face...I fall under the category mild acne/ no one in my family has acne.

i never had acne until i was 14...and i started with the creams and harsh and not so harsh products...and i never got clear. But before then i use to just use water...and put vasoline on my face...which is so greasy and it never broke me out before.

Im 22 now..and still have mild acne..i do tend to touch and pick my face alot so that contributes to the problem but....BP gives me these huge cyst..so i stopped with that and started using more natural products...vinegar/aloe vera and moisterizer...

thanks for the imput....I think ill give it a try...just got to get that courage you were talking about...

so you dont use any moisterizer/face wash or anything...or have you gradually toned it down..till you didnt have to use it anymore?

funny cuz my mother tells me the same thing...you put too  many products on your face...I fall under the category mild acne/ no one in my family has acne.

i never had acne until i was 14...and i started with the creams and harsh and not so harsh products...and i never got clear. But before then i use to just use water...and put vasoline on my face...which is so greasy and it never broke me out before.

Im 22 now..and still have mild acne..i do tend to touch and pick my face alot so that contributes to the problem but....BP gives me these huge cyst..so i stopped with that and started using more natural products...vinegar/aloe vera and moisterizer...

thanks for the imput....I think ill give it a try...just got to get that courage you were talking about...

THIS WILL, AND IS PERFECT FOR MILD AND MODERATE ACNE ONLY. SORRY PEOPLE WITH SEVERE ONES. IT'S JUST YOUR CAUSE OF ACNE IS DIFFERENT FROM PEOPLE WITH MILD AND MODERATE. For severe ones, accutane is the perfect solution. Accutane however, is not that effective on mild and moderate cases (I think). Those are the cases where even after using accutane, acne comes back. It is because you have already ruined your skin from strong medications that your skin is already acne prone. Medications: BAD.

i stopped reading there.

1) accutane is effective on all types of acne, more so on less severe cases.. look at jessica simpson, she HAD mild acne and then she went on accutane.

2)by medications do you mean bp, sa, or tetracycline? well no duh medications wear off, ur not a genius

3) your new here, dont make a miracle post

But whatever, don't do it, then don't do it, sucks for you. I know a lot of people who have accidentally followed this regimen, and worked, but discontinued because due to lack of courage and not noticing that he or she has not breaked out from this regimen.

In the long, long run, anything with oxide in it will not be good. You're skin will age faster and you'll look older than you really are. It's a tradeoff, do BP now and hope that you grow out of it in a few years, or do it for decades and pay the price later.

Benzoyl Peroxide is a temporary acne prevention. However, if it works for you, then sucks for you since you'll be depending on it forever.

Jon Carlo - those tips u gave, i've been doing it for some years now (though i still eat a bunch of chocolates every now & then) biggrin.gif

I'd been suffering s.e.v.e.r.e acne like forever.. it runs in my family. All my brothers suffered the same. I have had my friend staring at my face and actually told me that she would rather kill herself if she had my problem - I was so stressed out and drastically quit all the medications! Cuz they weren't helping either. Well that was over 5 years ago! smile.gif

And yes, i still had breakouts of big ol' cysts, papules, white heads, etc.. all those bad acnes .. gradually tamed down.

As time goes by, the less i worry = less breakouts. Right diets & exercises sure help! smile.gif

Now, i've been doing the vinegar/lemon regimen for almost a month and it helps a lot with complexions and does a real gr8 job preventing breakouts (after a week or 2) as the vinegar/lemon resets skin pH to normal. Now, i only have one small mild acne instead of bad ones..So this works EVEN for those with severe acne problems... Yep, it TAKES TIME, Patience & persistence wink.gif

i also came across a web giving tips for making your own mild cleanser by mixing honey and milk! Ppl with SLS sensitive might want to try this cool.gif

Jan Carlo, ever think that this worked for you because you grew out of your acne? I didn't get acne bad at all until I was about 16 years old. Since then it became gradually worse until I started using medications which helped to tame it. Now I know for a fact that if I stopped using these medications and only used water, I would have a horrific breakout, and no matter how many months I waited, it wouldn't go away. This is because I am genetically predisposed to acne. My father had severe cystic acne, and my mother also had bad acne when she was young. Anyways the point is that you probably are just one of those lucky enough to have grown out of it at a young age. Besides, I wouldn't be declaring my acne miraculously cured if I were as young as you rolleyes.gif

Jon Carlo - those tips u gave, i've been doing it for some years now (though i still eat a bunch of chocolates every now & then)  biggrin.gif

I'd been suffering s.e.v.e.r.e acne like forever.. it runs in my family. All my brothers suffered the same. I have had my friend staring at my face and actually told me that she would rather kill herself if she had my problem - I was so stressed out and drastically quit all the medications! Cuz they weren't helping either. Well that was over 5 years ago!  smile.gif

And yes, i still had breakouts of big ol' cysts, papules, white heads, etc.. all those bad acnes .. gradually tamed down.

As time goes by, the less i worry = less breakouts. Right diets & exercises sure help!  smile.gif

Now, i've been doing the vinegar/lemon regimen for almost a month and it helps a lot with complexions and does a real gr8 job preventing breakouts (after a week or 2) as the vinegar/lemon resets skin pH to normal. Now, i only have one small mild acne instead of bad ones..So this works EVEN for those with severe acne problems... Yep, it TAKES TIME, Patience & persistence wink.gif

i also came across a web giving tips for making your own mild cleanser by mixing honey and milk! Ppl with SLS sensitive might want to try this  cool.gif

Jan Carlo, ever think that this worked for you because you grew out of your acne? I didn't get acne bad at all until I was about 16 years old. Since then it became gradually worse until I started using medications which helped to tame it. Now I know for a fact that if I stopped using these medications and only used water, I would have a horrific breakout, and no matter how many months I waited, it wouldn't go away. This is because I am genetically predisposed to acne. My father had severe cystic acne, and my mother also had bad acne when she was young. Anyways the point is that you probably are just one of those lucky enough to have grown out of it at a young age. Besides, I wouldn't be declaring my acne miraculously cured if I were as young as you  rolleyes.gif

In the long, long run, anything with oxide in it will not be good. You're skin will age faster and you'll look older than you really are. It's a tradeoff, do BP now and hope that you grow out of it in a few years, or do it for decades and pay the price later.

I would just like to say that I think you could make a great living doing informercials. Anyways, I wouldn't say my acne was ever SEVERE, but it would go through cycles of getting better, and then a lot worse. Retin-A is the only thing that's ever helped. I've never considered it severe enough to where I think I need Accutane, then again I know that just water would never work.