Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kathryn

kathryns b5 journal

ok i shall soon be starting b5 in approximately 10 hours time! im excited! k heres my "history":

i am 16 n a half, had acne since 12. varied between mild to moderate i would say. currently vvvvvvvvv mild. ive been on erythromycin antibiotics (no gud) n then a course of diannete (contraceptive pill used for acne). cleared me up but came straight back to haunt me again after i finished the 6 month course. n the doc told me cant use it for long periods. f*ckin doctors lol. u never see them with acne do u? thats y they dont UNDERSTAND evil.gif

so why is she usking b5 u ask? well ive been on dans regimen for nearly a month, cleared me up virtually part from blackheads on nose n the tiniest whiteheads ever. so pretty pleased. BUT my skin is v oily (yes and i use bp lol) and i have enlarged open pores which b5 is supposed 2 help. its no good for me having acne free skin when all i can now see is open pores which in one way r worse for me as u cant hide them with makeup sad.gifninja.gif

sooooooooo my b5 came today from www.rosemaryshealthfoods.co.uk, £20 somethin for 2 bottles of 270 tabs so 540 tabs of 500mg pretty good value i reckon with free delivery. i have decided to start tomoz morning. i read pantho's thread so ill be taking 10 tabs first 3 days then 20 thereafter.

i will try n update this every day or as often as possible. feedback/comments would be appreciated especially from anyone that has/ is using b5 that have both experienced success and failure and any info on initial breakouts side effects e.t.c. would also be great.

so hopefully fingers crossed, ill have crystal clear smooth refined skin within 3 months! biggrin.gifeusa_pray.gif

the pic is of me now. as u can see a bit of redness sad.gif and shinyness. u cant see the pores really tho. 2 b honest when this pic was taken they werent as bad - they tend to fluctuate from being visible to huge!! anyone else have this, as ive read loads of threads sayin pore size doesn't change, but mine do. or it that just cuz they r open or closed? also (sorry 2 babble lol) but i really do think there is a link between oil production and pore visibility. my hypothesis for the b5 is:

b5 > less oil production > closing of pores > refined skin (??!!)

post-11375-1105568447_thumb.jpg

post-11375-1105568447_thumb.jpg

Just a little warning here... where you might not have any horrible effects from taking b5 in huge doses for a little amount of time, eventually it will start to harm your body. You should really do more research on this method AND talk to your doctor. Any drug/herb/vitamin taken in that large of a dose is harmful to your body (why do you think every website promoting it warns of stomach aches, diareha, cramps, gas, etc). If we really were deficient in B5, it would take a much smaller dose to help it.

If that doesn't make you think then how bout this: If something so easy as taking vitamin B5 (bc people with acne have an imbalance in that according to this doctor) would "cure" acne, then why isn't the FDA and other doctors picking up on this or at least studying it? So far Accutane is the only "cure" for acne that's available in the US.

Your skin is absolutely beautiful. Look around, everyone has a bit of oil and visible pores (ignore the magazines, it honestly is airbrushing). BUT there are some simple things to try out that will take less time than taking 20 pills every day.

Check out these websites (I hope this isn't against the board rules, sorry if it is): makeupalley.com (you can research products and read hundreds of reviews from people who've tried them) and demadoctor.com (yes, it's a commercial website and their products are expensive, BUT there are quite a few good articles on acne so pay attention to what she says about BHAs and AHAs, etc).

I noticed that you said you tried erithomiacin (sp) and diannete. I'm allergic to erithomiacin so obviously that didn't work for me. I can't seem to find information on Diannete but I know when I was on Ortho tri Cyclen (a tri phasic pill) my acne got worse after a few months. Now I'm on Desogen (a mono phasic and it's fine). I'm not sure abotu Diannete but you should be able to be on other bc pills for many years and be ok. Something else that worked for me was Amoxocillin. I'm currently on that for acne. It's a regular antibiotic and it works like bp in that it get rid of bacteria. Some doctors won't even think about using it but I'm extremely grateful than mine did. I tried all the other traditional oral acne meds and they didn't work. It's also safe to be on for a long time which is good since most of the time as soon as you come off a med, you get acne again. I just won't be able to use amox. for an antibiotic when I'm sick.

Anyway, sorry for the long post.

Good luck Kathryn.

I'm half way through my 3 month B5 course and am STILL 'waiting' for all these nasty side effects (as listed above) of B5 to kick in, so don't believe all the naysayers just on face value.

Take a read through Dave's B5 log on this board, he's had some amazing results and is delighted with his B5 treatment, so it can, and does work.

I'm not sure how noticeable it'll be though if you're just on it to reduce pores, will take a long time if it does happen. I can't say I've noticed these benefits on my course yet, but fingers crossed.

B5 is crazily expensive in the UK isn't it - I've spent £120 on my B5 so far, which will see me through till the end of the 3 months (and beyond), but hopefully it'll all be worth it in the end.

Again, good luck - and keep us updated.

Kathryn,

I agree with portrgirl, vitamins are *NOT* harmless! The side effects of an overdose of vitamins are long and quite serious. People usually thinks vitamins are good for one's health, but when overdosed, they do more harm than good, even on long term.

I seriously advise you to go look into the dangers of that.

Basically, one of the most commented and toxic medication, Accutane, is NOTHING more than a superdose of vitamin A. And they have to check your blood every month if you're on it.

Vitamin-overdoses are not a thing to play with, and I know, i'm on Accutane myself and in my family there are some docs who warn for it.

Besides, you look real beautiful in that pic, you're skin seems flawless to me, I don't think it has to undergo such harsh treatment?

Greets

I've heard lots of bad side effects of B5 but I'm thinking I'm gonna take my chances. u take chances everyday in life i don't see why this is different. n many posters on the board have had success, but i appreciate ur comments like i said in the original thread.

I'm not sure how noticeable it'll be though if you're just on it to reduce pores, will take a long time if it does happen. I can't say I've noticed these benefits on my course yet, but fingers crossed.

Kathryn,

You are young and your skin is beautiful. I don't even see what you are trying to gain from taking the b5? It might make sense to me if your face was broken out, but since it isn't, why are you needlessly taking a risk that you don't have to take?? I'm not saying you will definitely experience bad side effects, but why take the chance when you don't need to.

DAY 4

Ok so I am on day 4 of B5. Today I will be taking 5 tabs x 4, the previous 3 days I have been taking 5 tabs x 2 per day.

SKIN CONDITION

OK well, I haven't seen any improvement yet. I didn't expect to. As I said earlier i break out occasionally but the main problems are open pores and oil production. So, I have 3 tiny whiteheads on the left side of my face by my hair and lots of blackheads on my nose. The three whiteheads have appeared since taking the b5, this may be start of the "initial breakout" some people mention when taking b5 or it might be coincidence. And i still have redness. Red marks haven't changed either.

So i am going to ramp up the dosage today and see what happens over the next few weeks.

WELLBEING

Well I felt a bit sick last night and kinda light headed it was a strange feeling. I was very tired because i have been partying a lot lately so I don't know whether that was the reason. eusa_dance.gif Other than that I have felt no difference in my wellbeing. I have been having more gas than normal lol and Dave ( see his log) has said he gets that. It isn't too bad at the moment!

Sooooo shall update y'all soon!

Yoou shouldn't really be careing about acne. your skin is vitually acne free.

so wat u have a few blackheads on your nose

every has blackheads. Your i really pretty girl i think u shouldn't be harming urself and get on with life.

I think u've knid of got obesessed.

sorry if any of this is offensive.

DAY 5

okie dokes, I've taken 3 lots of b5 ( 5 at a time) so just got 5 more to go @ bout 10pm

SKIN CONIDITION

OMG ITS a bit sh*tty, the crappiest its bin for a few weeks. ok peeps, those whiteheads on my face have gone but one, but i now got those annoying bumps that don't have much in but stay forever.

the worst is i have a huge f*cker on my forhead in the middle eusa_doh.gif where evryone can see it god dam, i just bought some more tea tree today n i felt conscious buying it in the shop cuz of the intruder on my forhead. o well. my pores are v big today n my skin is very oily more so than before i started b5 i think, i think i also have a spot coming on my right cheek but i am thinkin i have applied t tree i might just have caught it in time. i also got a small whitehead under my eyebrow but i think i pinched the skin plucking them last night and it has gotten infected. GOOD THING - my chest seems more smooth n refined and the 3 whiteheads have gone down a lot so not all tis bad. and (i don't know whther i am making this up) i heard somewhere that acne medications work from the bottom of your body upwards?? please correct me lol if i'm wrong? so if this is the case, my face may soon follow!!!!

WELLBEING

i haven't had much gas maybe cause my body is nearly adjusted to b5? i feel tired tho don't know whether this is to do with the b5. other than that im feelin gud

ooo dear my tablets say they contain 550mg of calcium pantothenate... whats the difference? sh*t its just dawned...have i bought the wrong tabs??!!

ooo dear my tablets say they contain 550mg of calcium pantothenate... whats the difference? sh*t its just dawned...have i bought the wrong tabs??!!

DAY 6

SOOO im on day 6! well things r ok. these tabs r a bit big tho im having a bit of difficulty swallowing, there like hitting my throat on the way down and after i swallowed them , it still feels like they are there.. anyone get this feeling? o well if it gives me clear skin i dont give a monkeys.

SKIN CONDITION

well as i said yester was a bad day. that f*cker in the middle of my head has gone down loads. It doesn't hurt anymore i think the stuff in it has been drained away. i am so proud i didn't pop it! my skin is softer today than yesterday and my foundation has stayed quite well. i think my skin is less oily too... bout 15-20%. so i am kinda pleased...just gotta hope this continues its still very porous though sad.gif

WELLBEING

weeeeeeeell i am kinda stressed! i had chemistry coursework experiment this afternoon doing a titration ( which is really hard) n i had a bit of a cry after (pathetic lol i no) but i dont think that will do my skin any goodcuz i normally break out when i stress bout stuff. ive had NO gas at all; no cramps, no sickness either etc etc. feel tired tho and i got hockey training in a bit, better get awake before that - or if not the bleedin wind (its freezing here) and my coach shoutin orders at me will! lol

DAY 7

k well a week has gone. with the swallowing tablets thing i have found it easier to swallow them with juice and water not just water, so if any1 else is having problems try this

SKIN CONDITION

ok well my skin is definately worse, but im cool with it. im hoping this is the initial breakout. since b5 ive had 2 deep pustules that i havent had that deep for ages - one on forehead and one by my nose. my skin doesn't feel clean either even when i wash it. i use vinegar and water rinse for my red marks, and this week i have been seeing a lot of redness when i am using this method. i think the b5 has made my skin more sensitive. so now im doing this using a weaker solution of vinegar. its a bit less red now. at the mo i hav one pustule (by my nose that came up today) 3 whiteheads that are inflamed 1 normal whitehead and a weird thing above my lip i'll have 2 take a foto n load it up here i cant decide what sort of blemish it is.

WELL BEING

well im in a good mood,p rob cuz i just ran for 2 hrs doing fitness training. if ur thinkin ok y she feel gud bout it, i duno, exercise makes me feel really gud! neway as regards with effects to b5 had none yet; had gas first 2/3 days now gone, no sickness, no diarrhoea(however u spell it) nothing at all.

DAY 10

i haven't updated for a few days....

SKIN CONDITION

well i think i am definately experiencing the breakout a lot of peeps get when starting b5. i have several whiteheads round my nose. i also have 1 deeply inflamed whitehead in between my eyebrows and a deep thing by my nose; its red, not pus filled but hard, it hurts 2 touch but it isn't huge... i dont know what it is!

i also have a blackhead on the side of my nose. the area has been hurting for 2 days but i couldnt see a spot it was just really sore. well today i woke up n there was a lump like a massive blackhead. n literally 2 mins ago i felt a funny sensation where the spot was n i looked in the mirror n all of a sudden its full of pus! weird! that has never happened to me before!

my pores r vv crappy n my skin is v oily.

i am prayin this is the breakout! to think all this crap was under the skin waiting to break free! i have just read the clearskin.net article. it says if u don't see improvement in 2 weeks up the dose. so if i dont see an improvement i will be upping it to 15g, 30 caps per day omg i don't know whther i can handle it.

i also read on it that diet can help b5 progress. so from now on im cutting out kit kats ( thats my weakness) and walkers ready salted crisps lol. thats about the only bad things i eat. i eat wholemeal bread limit 2 slices/day, wholewheat pasta, brown rice e.t.c n my mom always cooks everything no ready meals. i eat loadsa fruit n veg.

i also read about how b5 helps hormonal acne. cuz i am sure i do have hormonal acne cause when i was on b/c pills i was fine no oil n no spots. i was worried b5 wouldn't help hormonal acne because its about fat metabolism. but b5 is used for hormones aswell so therefore: more hormones = more b5 being used for hormones = less b5 for breaking down fats = more oil!

WELLBEING

knackered knackered knackered knackered! omg is any1 else experiencing this. been going to bed @ 9.30pm every night, normally go to bed @ 11pm still exhausted!

nothing else to say really

ps sorry for the long post!

DAY 11

SKIN CONDITION

k, well when i woke this morning and washed my face i found my skin was really good. it was quite refined around my cheeks and it was less red also. it was quite dry + tight however round the cheeks, (even though it was oily when i woke up - weird) so i put on moisturiser but my skin went red again sad.gif. i have once new spot its v small like a whitehead dot that isn't raised or imflamed. that blackhead to whitehead spot is just a red mark but it hurts 2 touch the area, i think its cuz i popped it but didn't get all the crap out oops. that lump thing is there but its significantly smaller. the one between my eyesbrow has remained the same too. my skin feels a LOT less oily now, by this time it would normally be an oil slick eusa_clap.gif maybe the b5 is starting to work?

k i am stopping the wellbeing cause b5 isn't making me experience any bad effects. ill write bout it/them if i do have bad side effects.

DAY 13

well its 2 weeks tomorrow since i started

SKIN CONDITION

well to be honest with you, i expected improvement by now. cuz i have mild acne. i thought my oil had decreased bt now its just oil again. i have 2 new spots formed. i am pretty peed off. my skin is also gettin dry in some places. like my cheeks. but then oily again my midday. im using oil free moisturiser by neutrogena - visibly clear its called. is this a bad product?

i won't give up though. im not taking a b complex either is that why i'm not seeing progress?what would u recommend?

ive read up on b5 lots as im about to start a course too and i think a b complex is quite an essential part to keep your system balanced. I recommend you take it! Its imbalances that are screwing us in the first place right?

Ive ordered my pills from b5supplements.co.uk, bit more pricy but the b complex and many other vitamins for balancing are included in the tablets, so less fuss. Im happy to pay a few quid more for that.

P

i just wanted to let everybody know that high doses of b5 actually works. i've been battling acne for over 6 years. i am 23 years old and i'm really sick of getting new pimples, especially when i am about to be a teacher. i tried accutane about a month and a half ago and once my hair started falling out, i said forget it. i did some research and came across b5. i was really skeptical about it but i told myself that i had nothing to lose. the first couple of weeks i would get about 2 zits a week compared to the usual 4-5. no in my 5th week i can say that i'm 99% clear except for some residual red marks that don't really bother me because i know in time they will fade away. i'm sorry for posting under this account but i really wanted to let people know to go ahead and try it. my regimen goes as follows. p.s. the only bad thing is that i take a lot of vitamins, however, the results are fantastic!

10 grams of b5 (pantothenic acid)

-2 time release in the morning (country time-(brand name))

-6 grams throughout the day of solgars b5

-2 grams country time before bed time

I also take

-2 b complex vitamins- to prevent vitamin deficiencies

-1 gram of biotin with every dose of b5

-every other day a multi-vitamin-because it has iron in it and i heard that high doses of b5 causes iron deficiency which my trigger hair loss.

so that's it, go for it! i swear that im just a regular person and i am not trying to sell anything. i am just hear to help people who suffer from acne because i know it can ruin your life if you let it. remember, a lot of people have acne so don't think that acne has targeted just you. go through life with the motto of who cares, im sure all of you have people in your life that love you and forget about impressing the people that you don't care about. good luck everybody, sorry this message is so long.