Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jenfen75

Dermabrasion in march

I just wanted to say that Aimee girls photos are great. They have been very helpful to me in deciding whether i wanted to go ahead with the dermabrasion I have scheduled in march.

I have many surgical scars from the removal of cysts that would not go away. I know my skin wont look as good as those of you i have seen on this board who got the dermabrasion but I hope it helps.

I have heard that it can make acne come back and worse, as well as resulting in millia that have to be removed, orange peel skin and big pores.

My doctor said not to worry and that reading the internet was the worst thing to do, but then again doctors just dont spend the time with you explaining things like they used to.

Also how painful is it really? My doctor said nothing about putting bandages on right after the procedure, but i dont see how i would keep bacteria from getting on the fresh resurfaced skin.....anyone think this is weird?

(My doctor has been performing dermabrasion for about 20 years, but I am still nervous.....

I respectfully disagree that dermabrasion cannot help surgical scars. All of my scars were surgical scars--big ones at that. I have seen very good improvement in these scars, and that improvement continues even after 6 months. One thing to note is that dermabrasion is much more effective with respet to fresh scars, so if your surgical scars are very old, they may not respond as well as new scars. But, nonetheless, you could certainly get improvement on them.

--leo

My scars tend to widen and depress, years of cortisone and surgery have let some definite atrophic areas. However, I am having the scars excised and restitched in feburary followed by dermabrasion 6 weeks later in march.

I dont expext to ever fully get rid of a surgical scar. The incision line is forever because it has cut through all the skin layers, but I am hoping for the lines to look more like fine wrinkles than anything else.

Would love to here more about your revision to your surgical scars? Were they from trauma or acne?

Thanks for your replies... I will post before and after pics later.

Jen

Meet Peet,

Given that my response to what I considered to be misinformation contianed in your post was offered in a respectful manner, the very least I could expect is the same from you. I am not part of some special interest group nor am I attempting to "peddle" anything on here (what would I have to gain?) I have always tried to contribute measured and accurate information on this board and so I resent that you are taking this tone with me. In the future, please don't simplify my well-thought out and, I might add backed-by-experience, responses to people asking for advice into "pro-dermabrasion" propaganda.

I am sorry that your dermabrasion experience did not meet your expectations. Mine did and exceeded them. I have never claimed that dermabrasion will erase surgical scars, but rather that they can be greatly improved. Notice that I am not extrapolating that everyone will definitely be helped immensely by dermabrasion, simply that I was and therefore it is possible and, in some cases, likely. You on the other hand, through your one experience, are making the broad claim that dermabrasion can never help surgical scars. Since your experience does not contradict my claim and since my experience does fly in the face of yours, I would conclude that you in fact are the source of misinformation. Simple logical deduction. Enough said.

Now, Jenfen. I don't know if you'll be having dermabrasion by Dr. Y or not but I know that he really encourages abrasion within 4-8 weeks followed by an excision. This is what I did, and my results were very good (better on the fresh scar than on the older scar). You won't be left scarless, but, from my experience, you will emerge with a better result than just excision or dermabrasion alone. Best of luck to you and keep us updated.

--leo

Guest niko

Dermabrasion is a risky procedure which either helps you, breaks you, or does nothing, it's all a gamble.

Jen, may I ask where you're from? I'm just curious because I'm always looking to see if there are any other experienced dermabrasion docs closer to me than the wonderful Dr. Y. Thanks.

If, by long-windedness, you mean a thoughtful, thorough, and logical response to your simplistic overgeneralizations, then yes, I stand accused. My evidence is the improvement I see in my scars (and I assure you I have a very critical eye). They are much softer and far less noticable than they were. Perhaps, while you were unlucky with your dermabrasion, you were luckier with your excisions; mine, on the other hand, were not simply thin and flat--they were rough, somewhat widened (because they were, after all quite big), red, and in some places bumpy and in others indented. As for how this works--I do not know exactly, but my guess would be that it re-wounds the scar tissue in such a way that it re-heals in a more uniform and organized way, making it less obvious. I have never said that it eradicates the scar--I don't believe that is possible with any procedure. I know that it has softend and smoothed out my scar. That is a fact.

Now, feel free to share your own experiences, but do not attack me for sharing mine and please stop accusing me of saying stupid things that I have never said (such as that you are the only one on this board who has had a bad experience with dermabrasion--I said that your's is only one of the many experiences, good and bad, of dermabrasion being reported on this board). You lose credibility when you can't even articulate correctly the position against which you are arguing.

MeetPete,

You really need to let it go. Since I joined I've read many of your posts, some have been deleted so I wasn't able to read them. While I appreciate the time you take to research and post informative responses for many people, in some cases I've found that you are still consumed by your negative experiences in treating your acne/surgical scars and it becomes quite evident in some of these responses. I wish you luck in treating your scars but moreso towards finding internal peace as well. Thank you for your contributions to this board, I am well informed due to people like you. But please, don't let unfortunate experiences leave you so bitter because many people can do without that kind of influence on this board.

As I come from Australia and have had a derm with Doctor Y I believe I can comment here. I am sure overtime I have come across some of the surgeons Pete has had for dermabrasion. In some ways I can understand why he is so frustrated and probably has had poor results. The surgeons here for Dermabrasion/dermatologists, most of them that is, are awful. I personally would not have them touch me, other than a very good one I found who does the diamond friase.

I do feel however that experiences with a particul surgeon in relation to a procedure as oppossed to a procedure alone are far more appropriate. Also to make comments on doctors/procedures when never meeting that doctor or having the procedure done by that doctor to me seems a way of getting frustration & unhappiness out of ones life rather than making a valid assessment.

I fully support Leo's experience as it is the same for me.

MeetPete,

You really need to let it go.  Since I joined I've read many of your posts, some have been deleted so I wasn't able to read them.  While I appreciate the time you take to research and post informative responses for many people, in some cases I've found that you are still consumed by your negative experiences in treating your acne/surgical scars and it becomes quite evident in some of these responses.  I wish you luck in treating your scars but moreso towards finding internal peace as well.  Thank you for your contributions to this board, I am well informed due to people like you.  But please, don't let unfortunate experiences leave you so bitter because many people can do without that kind of influence on this board.

This post right here pretty much sums up what a *removed by Moderator* you are. I've been reading your posts for some time now and you've mentioned several times that your unsuccessful dermabrasion was due to your incompentent doctor. Do you honestly think that Dr. Yarborough, a well respected Dr. in his field, a man that has practiced dermabrasion for over 40 years would publish an article that was a total lie? I'm sorry you had an awful dermabrasion but how can you discredit the improvement that people are seeing? A smart guy like you should know that a sucessful dermabrasion is dependent on the skill of the practitioner, but for a smart guy like you, you can be a real *removed by Moderator* (Napoleon Dynamite) at times. I enjoy reading your posts but your "lost cause" claim really irritated me, hence my post. If someone respectfully disagrees with you, you don't have to blow up on everyone. You don't know everything, *removed by Moderator*. Take care.

Your such *removed by Moderator*, you and your female ilk like miss

shady seem to sadly make up the majority of uninformed opinion on this board, its

the blind leading the blind, its a wonder I and folks like Old Guy stick around and try

to educate you folks since you seem like a lost cause.

No need to wish me luck in treating anything since my scars have been treated and

are within tolerable limits. I merely stick around this board to provide information not

to win friends and influence people so I dont give a rats ass if my opinion casts a

shadow over the little Alice in Wonderland fantasy world you and your

dermabrasion pals have created for yourselves.

I've had to edit several posts due to personal insults. Everyone is free to share their opinion, but let's not attack each other. Thank you!

Haha oh dear. Grumpy old man. You are a good guy, but you have a certain arrogance about you, which is very irritating. Good luck in your life.

Meet Pete, if you do continue to post here, please can you change your posting settings so that everything you write is not double spaced? It's annoying to read.

If the insults continue, this thread will be locked and we will discuss suspending certain people's posting abilities. Discussion and debate is welcome, but open insults will absolutely not be tolerated.

Thankyou.

Rossignol.

If the insults continue, this thread will be locked and we will discuss suspending certain people's posting abilities. Discussion and debate is welcome, but open insults will absolutely not be tolerated.

Thankyou.

Rossignol.

I just wanted to say that Aimee girls photos are great. They have been very helpful to me in deciding whether i wanted to go ahead with the dermabrasion I have scheduled in march.

I have many surgical scars from the removal of cysts that would not go away. I know my skin wont look as good as those of you i have seen on this board who got the dermabrasion but I hope it helps.

I have heard that it can make acne come back and worse, as well as resulting in millia that have to be removed, orange peel skin and big pores.

My doctor said not to worry and that reading the internet was the worst thing to do, but then again doctors just dont spend the time with you explaining things like they used to.

Also how painful is it really? My doctor said nothing about putting bandages on right after the procedure, but i dont see how i would keep bacteria from getting on the fresh resurfaced skin.....anyone think this is weird?

(My doctor has been performing dermabrasion for about 20 years, but I am still nervous.....

I find this thread rather amusing. I actually kinda liked Meet Pete's arrogance. It gave the board some flavor. I do think he is also very intelligent and knows a great deal about scars and revision techniques. Unfortunately, I kinda have to agree with Shade in that the repercussions of Meet Pete's negative dermabrasion experience has scarred him in a different way. I think it has severely narrowed his thoughts and understanding on the procedure. That is truly unfortunate. We are all here battling acne scars. There is no reason to be boasting egos back and forth. It's really pointless when you really think about it. If it makes you feel better about yourself, seriously guys, we'd need more help than this acne.org board is here to provide.

I'm not a doctor, nor a scar expert. But as Leo indicated, I don't have to have a medical/technical explanation for the scar correction. The scars from my punch floats, that is, the new semi-circular to circular scars created by the punch float method have been removed ALMOST entirely. There is one punch float where the surgical scar seemed to have little to no improvement and at this point is still clearly visible. That is one out of the 21 that I had done. Perhaps the "bridge-over" has not occurred on that scar just yet, but I'm doubtful if it will as I'm now starting the 4th week since my dermabrasion. So Meet Pete is not completely off the board with his claims. However, casting the broad claim that surgical scars cannot be removed by method of dermabrasion is simply incorrect. I have 20 surgical scars from the punch float procedure that have been successfully removed by method of timely dermabrasion.

I do not belong to a cult but I am pro-dermabrasion. I’m in no way ashamed of that and I’ll tell you why, punch floats and dermabrasion with Dr. Y are the only methods I have ever tried that proved not only successful but also exceeded my expectations on many levels. I do not have perfect skin. I still have acne scarring. I received great improvement from these two procedures thus far and am reserving final judgment until 1 year post-op.

I can tell where one was if I look very closely. I would say that the biggest change occured between the two and three month mark. Dr. Y said to look for final improvements overall after one year so we'll see. I don't remember any dramatic changes with my other ones during that time, but I wasn't as focused on my skin at that point...ah the good ole days..lol.

Misty, You don't remember dramatic change with your other dermabrasions you mean, or punch floats?

I can tell where one was if I look very closely. I would say that the biggest change occured between the two and three month mark. Dr. Y said to look for final improvements overall after one year so we'll see. I don't remember any dramatic changes with my other ones during that time, but I wasn't as focused on my skin at that point...ah the good ole days..lol.