Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hello123

Acne Prevention for Mild/Moderate Case?

Hi,

I've tried many topical treatments (Tea Tree Oil, Neutrogena) And have found ways to treat and heal acne, but I'm sick of this. I don't want to have to wake up and treat acne, as well as cover it up with a little acne stick (i'm a guy, damnit). So now I'm looking for something to prevent this, so I can just wake up, shower, change, and leave.

I'd rather not watch what I eat all the time; I'm a college student and I can't be bothered going on a special diet.

My face really doesn't get very oily by the way. So can anyone something (effective and proven) that PREVENTS mild/moderate acne, and is mildly low on the sideaffects?

Thanks in advance!

I feel ya, baby--you just wanna stop thinking about it, no? Well, after 25+ years of experimenting with everything under the sun I found two things that enhance whatever "regimen" you are using. During the winter, I use only these two products, and they keep my skin clear. (During the summer, I have to use the regimen, especially if it sreally humid.)

One is sulfer soap -- you use it just like regular soap, but it helps to leave it on a bit longer (30 seconds, say) It smell a little funky, but my boyfriend doesn't seem to notice once its rinsed off. It will also make you skin smooth, which you may not care about, but the ladies will! I use one called "Grandpa's Old Fashioned SUlfer Soap," or something like that. I buy it at my local health food store, and have found it at other health food stores. Its so cheap, but very effective. Great for body acne, too.

The other is this magical potion--everyone I know who has tried it for one day, on one pimple, is so impressed that they shell out the big bucks to get more. It is a probiotic cream, like yogurt for your face--which you can use as a moisturizer, but now that my skin is clear, I use it just on the one pimple or problem area (they pimple heals quicker and leaves no scar!) I only know of one company that makes it, which is Epicuren (search the web for suppliers). I go to beautynhealth.com for its super nice people. Its pricey, but OMG, its so worth it. I don't know why more people don't know about it.

By the way, I eat pizza like, three times a week now. (But I do eat salad every day. Do eat your vitamin Bs--they really do help. Get a supplement from thehealth food store where you will be getting your Grandpa's soap!)

Good luck!

[

quote=hello123,Jan 12 2005, 12:44 PM]

Hi,

I've tried many topical treatments (Tea Tree Oil, Neutrogena) And have found ways to treat and heal acne, but I'm sick of this. I don't want to have to wake up and treat acne, as well as cover it up with a little acne stick (i'm a guy, damnit). So now I'm looking for something to prevent this, so I can just wake up, shower, change, and leave.

I'd rather not watch what I eat all the time; I'm a college student and I can't be bothered going on a special diet.

My face really doesn't get very oily by the way. So can anyone something (effective and proven) that PREVENTS mild/moderate acne, and is mildly low on the sideaffects?

Thanks in advance!

get some retin-a. it works wonders especially if your acne is not that bad. my skin hardly ever breaks out badly anymore. at most, i will get maybe one, two zits a week. but you never ever should pick at your face... retin-a is not an antibiotic and it won't heal already inflamed acne. anyways it takes a long time to start working but it's worth it. trust me! by the way... it is a preventative measure. it will keep new acne from forming, unless you do something like drink too much alcohol or pick at your face. that means waiting until your current breakouts finally clear up. meaning... one month to see an improvement and about 3 or 4 for maximum effects. anyways i have been on it since april 2004 and my skin is a million times better.

Thanks for the replies!!

Wow that epicuren is pretty expensive. Man, if my buddies saw me putting on all those products, I'd get teased for months! But hey, if it works, might be worth it. Searched for reviews and couldn't find much on it, but I'll definately take it into consideration.

About Grandpa's Soap, do you mean "Thylox soap" which contains sulfur?

As far as Retin-A goes, I do have some sensitive areas on my face and am a little concerned about the dryness, but that's not really what turns me off about it. It's just really hard to read about a product that will cause me breakouts before it works. Quite a long time to experiment with something that may or may not do the trick.

What do you guys think of these hormone pills?

-Thanks

Don't be afraid of the initial breakout. Like they say, you gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette rolleyes.gif

Honestly it won't get any worse than it is now. And your skin gradually gets used to it so there's not so much dryness and irritation in the later stages.

I know its expensive, but it last pretty long if you just use if on acne prone areas--it doesn't take much! But yeah, hide the bottle--its too pretty (lucky for you, the fragerance is very very light--no one will notice but you--and it fades quickly)...It has worked for about a dozen people that I have lent it to--they should give me commission! I don't know why its so under-advertised. I found out about it while reading an interview with Carry Ann Moss (the chic from Matrix), who describes herself as having really bad acne! So she uses this stuff, and unless there is some heavy airbrushing going on...

Thylox soap is the one--they recently changed the name, I think. It used to just be sulfur soap, which isn't very cool sounding...And if the Epicuren stuff smells to flowery for you, the mild but quickly fading rotten egg smell should help negate it...(just kidding--the smell only lasts during the lathering, and its very mild. More funky than gross.)

Retin-A didn't really work well enough for me to justify the constant redness and dryness and sensitivity. Ick. Too mcuh trouble, too, with having to wait until your skin is totally dry before applying, etc. I just like to slap it on and get out of the house, too.

Haven't tried the hormone pills--I'm anti-messing-with-your-internal-chemistry unless absolutely necessary. I'd use it as a last resort. Especially if this other stuff works, right?

Good luck -- let me know how it works out for you!

--hobochic

Thanks for the replies!!

Wow that epicuren is pretty expensive.  Man, if my buddies saw me putting on all those products, I'd get teased for months!  But hey, if it works, might be worth it.  Searched for reviews and couldn't find much on it, but I'll definately take it into consideration.

About Grandpa's Soap, do you mean "Thylox soap" which contains sulfur?

As far as Retin-A goes, I do have some sensitive areas on my face and am a little concerned about the dryness, but that's not really what turns me off about it.  It's just really hard to read about a product that will cause me breakouts before it works.  Quite a long time to experiment with something that may or may not do the trick.

What do you guys think of these hormone pills?

-Thanks