Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UK_Guy

Best oral antibiotic that isn't minocycline?

Hi - I found minocycline (100mg / day) to work *really* well for my acne for over a year and a half, but it seemed to lose its effectiveness somewhat after that (though I think my acne was still better than taking nothing). I've tried doxycycline (100mg / day) for about 4 months, which was kind of okay, but wasn't nearly as effective as the minocycline originally was. Currently I'm trying oral erythromycin (E-Mycin brand, 400mg twice a day), I've only been on this for about 6 weeks, but if anything my acne is quite a bit worse than when I started, so I may give up on this when the tablets run out sad.gif

What other oral anti-biotics work well for acne (even if only for a year or so) and don't have major side-effects? Is oral tetracycline worth trying? If so, what brand (or is generic okay?) and what dosage? At least the generic version is cheap (unlike minocycline)

Thanks

Hi - I found minocycline (100mg / day) to work *really* well for my acne for over  a year and a half, but it seemed to lose its effectiveness somewhat after that (though I think my acne was still better than taking nothing). I've tried doxycycline (100mg  / day) for about 4 months, which was kind of okay, but wasn't nearly as effective as the minocycline originally was. Currently I'm trying oral erythromycin (E-Mycin brand, 400mg twice a day), I've only been on this for about 6 weeks, but if anything my acne is quite a bit worse than when I started, so I may give up on this when the tablets run out  sad.gif

What other oral anti-biotics work well for acne (even if only for a year or so) and don't have major side-effects? Is oral tetracycline worth trying? If so, what brand (or is generic okay?) and what dosage? At least the generic version is cheap (unlike minocycline)

Thanks

I wish I could answer all your questions! Unfortunately, I don't think there is a "best" antibiotic to take... the one thing I've learnt from these forums is that everyone's experience is different. Everyone's skin is different and some people respond better than others to different things.

Like I posted in the other thread, I was prescribed Erythromycin initially. I can't remember the dose, but after 3 months of doing nothing, the dose was doubled. It still did nothing. After 7 months on Erthromycin, I was changed to Doxycycline. The first few weeks of that cleared me up quite a bit, but then, again, nothing. After 3 months I was changes again to Oxytetracycline.

I was on Oxytet for 9 months altogether. The first 3 months I was taking 500mg a day, then it was doubled to 1000mg a day. Every so often it made me sick, and again, it made no difference to my skin. All these antibiotics I was using alongside various topicals, e.g. Differin, Zindaclin etc.

Eventually, after my doctor decided I wasn't making any progress, I was referred to a derm who has put me on Roaccutane. I'm now on my 3rd month.

The only thing that made any difference to me apart from the 'tane, was Duac gel, which cleared me up a lot. But if you read a lot of the threads, you see that Duac didn't work for some people, and likewise, the antibiotics that didn't work for me, did clear some people's skin.

I'd try and stick with the Erythromycin for a while longer... it can take up to 3 months to notice any improvements with antibiotics. Like I posted in the other thread, unfortunately lots of strains of bacteria are resistant to Erythromycin, which is why it doesn't work for a lot of people. I don't know how severe your acne is, but also I think some antibiotics only work for people with mild acne. Don't quote me on that though.

I know I've been rambling here, sorry I can't give you any straight answers. Much of it is just trial and error, seeing which treatment is best for you.

I wish I could answer all your questions!  Unfortunately, I don't think there is a "best" antibiotic to take... the one thing I've learnt from these forums is that everyone's experience is different.  Everyone's skin is different and some people respond better than others to different things.

Like I posted in the other thread, I was prescribed Erythromycin initially.  I can't remember the dose, but after 3 months of doing nothing, the dose was doubled.  It still did nothing.  After 7 months on Erthromycin, I was changed to Doxycycline.  The first few weeks of that cleared me up quite a bit, but then, again, nothing.  After 3 months I was changes again to Oxytetracycline.

I was on Oxytet for 9 months altogether.  The first 3 months I was taking 500mg a day, then it was doubled to 1000mg a day.  Every so often it made me sick, and again, it made no difference to my skin.  All these antibiotics I was using alongside various topicals, e.g. Differin, Zindaclin etc. 

Eventually, after my doctor decided I wasn't making any progress, I was referred to a derm who has put me on Roaccutane.  I'm now on my 3rd month.

The only thing that made any difference to me apart from the 'tane, was Duac gel, which cleared me up a lot.  But if you read a lot of the threads, you see that Duac didn't work for some people, and likewise, the antibiotics that didn't work for me, did clear some people's skin.

I'd try and stick with the Erythromycin for a while longer... it can take up to 3 months to notice any improvements with antibiotics.  Like I posted in the other thread, unfortunately lots of strains of bacteria are resistant to Erythromycin, which is why it doesn't work for a lot of people.  I don't know how severe your acne is, but also I think some antibiotics only work for people with mild acne.  Don't quote me on that though.

I know I've been rambling here, sorry I can't give you any straight answers.  Much of it is just trial and error, seeing which treatment is best for you.

For me

1. tetra : worked a little

2. mino : worked like magic. I think it is the best

3. cephalexin : sucked big time. Made it double worse

My breakouts were kind of weird, I would never have my face covered with cysts, but I would get like 1 or 2 monster cysts per month or two.

So yaa mine was moderate in count but severe in size, so it would make it modulosevere , he he smile.gif

BTW : Mino oral + BP topical is touted to be a very effective combo cas the bacteria cannot develop resistance to any of them if they are used in combo...

BTW : Mino oral + BP topical is touted to be a very effective combo cas the bacteria cannot develop resistance to any of them if they are used in combo...

Wow im glad Tetra is working good for me! like that when i get Imune i'll have a back up plan in MIno.

Does Minocycline still work for you? If so, how long have you been on it? Just wondering whether its worth giving it a go again, as I was much better on that, even when it didn't seem to be working as well as it did initially.

I have had luck using Azithromycin 250mg 3 consecutive days per week. I.E. MTW. There are several studies from Italy and India that show favorable results with this medication when compared to Minocycline. The dose in the studies is 500mg per day, however, many of my patients clear very well. Erythromycin and tetracycline are very *old school*. About 60% of p. acnes in the U.S. population is resistant to Erythromycin.

What about the rest of the week? Just to make sure I've understood properly- you take 250mg on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, then repeat this every week? Or is it a one-off thing? The capsules are very expensive if its something you have to repeat weekin, week out.

I may give this a go if the erythromycin doesn't work (its still doing nothing so far)

Do you have an URLs to these studies, I would be interested to read them