Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
greenbird

I'm a success story on the Regimen!

Hey everyone! Sorry in advance for the length of this post...

I'm 21 and have had moderate acne since I was 12. As I've watched my friends' acne clear up through the college years, I've kept expecting that mine would too, but it persisted and was just getting worse and worse. Suspecting that it was diet-related, I did an elimination diet and determined that sugar was causing my zits, but I was unwilling and unable to completely cut sugar out of my diet. But I wanted SO much to be free of the discomfort and feeling of unattractiveness that my acne had been giving me for so many years -- all I could see when I looked in the mirror every day was my zits, and it was making me feel worse and worse about myself. As a "last resort", I started the Regimen about four months ago, and believe it or not, my skin is now totally clear! I am so grateful to Dan and many of the posters here for all their wonderful advice, and in return I wanted to post about my experience to let some of you know what I've tried, what's worked and what hasn't, and hopefully inspire some of you to keep it up,

I was using Neutrogena On-the-Spot when I started, simply because I already had some in my cabinet. The first lesson I learned is that that stuff is NASTY. Especially during the summer, when it's hot and you perspire -- I was wiping white residue off my face every half-hour, plus it stung like crazy. My face turned bright red after a couple days and got drier and drier, until it was just peeling right off. When people asked, I told them I was just sunburned! Makeup, which I hadn't left the house without in years, became simply impossible to wear, because it just flaked right off and made everything look even worse. And my face felt like it was burning all the time, especially at night! After two weeks, although my skin had relatively fewer zits, I had to stop using it -- it was making me more miserable than my acne had.

Something told me not to give up, though, so I ordered some of Dan's BP gel and started using it. As I had with the Neutrogena, I followed the Regimen as exactly as I could. The BP gel was a thousand times better in every way -- no residue, no burning, less irritation (although the less irritation could have been because my skin had already gotten a little more used to the BP the first time I tried). Bit by bit, my skin was looking a little clearer.

After maybe three or four weeks, though, I seemed to have reached a plateau. I still had some zits, and my skin was just horribly dry. Every time I went into the bathroom, I was bringing tweezers with me to remove the flakes of skin that had become visible since my last mirror visit, and I had to be careful not to open my mouth too wide because it made my chin practically fall off. Even my neck, which I wasn't using any BP on, was flaky and dry. Reluctantly, I basically decided to ditch the Regimen -- I just couldn't handle the dryness any more.

However, I was scared to stop using BP completely -- I've been using a small amount of BP (in the form of On-the-Spot) or some other acne remedy ever since junior high, although never with much success, and I didn't know WHAT my face would do if I left it to its own devices! So, I kept using the BP gel but in a MUCH smaller amount, just enough so that all parts of my face would get some. After about a week, the dryness was subsiding, and continued to do so. But to my great surprise and delight, my zits started subsiding too! My skin was clearing, with maybe only two or three active pimples at a time. The places where my acne had been the worst (my chin and temples) were the slowest to clear -- I kept getting a few zits there even after everything else had cleared. But they were fewer and fewer. Furthermore, I found that I became less and less susceptible to breakouts after eating sugar, which is what I believe was causing my acne in the first place -- now I can eat a piece of cake, or even two, and still not get any zits (previously, that would have given me four or five by the next morning!).

So I kept doing what I was doing, and as the time has passed, my skin has gotten clearer and clearer. Now I am essentially zit-free -- I think I've had one pimple in the last month, and it went away fast. It has been a VERY gradual process, not like I just stopped getting zits once I found the magical cure. As of right now, I am using Cetaphil gentle cleanser twice a day, followed by a very small amount of BP gel all over my face. In the morning I use Olay moisturizing cream with SPF 15, and in the evening I use Eucerin intensive repair lotion (which is too greasy to use during the day, but keeps my skin from starting to flake). I wear a little makeup to cover those lingering red marks -- the ghosts of zits past! -- but for the first time in many years, I am not ashamed to leave the house without it.

So I guess the point of my telling all this is to say DON'T GIVE UP for those of you who are slow seeing results. It really has been very gradual for me, and once I stumbled along the routine that seems to be working, the progress was still slow enough that I could just barely tell I was even MAKING progress. But it was so worth the long wait and even the horrible discomfort when I started. My self-confidence has skyrocketed. When I'm talking to people face-to-face, I no longer wish they would stop looking at me or wonder whether they're grossed out by my complexion. I even had the confidence to ask a really hot guy out on a date a couple weeks ago (and he said yes!) and I don't feel dependent on layers and layers of makeup to make me feel presentable. I actually look like someone who has clear skin, not like someone who has acne,

THANK YOU DAN -- and please, never ever stop making that BP gel! Good luck to everyone here, and hang in there. I wish all of you the success that I have experienced with this.

greenbird

Ghosts of zits past -- LOL! Very clever biggrin.gif I'm so glad to hear about your success. Say, can you estimate the "much smaller amount" of BP you now use on your face?

whoooohooooo! yeah!! eusa_dance.gifeusa_clap.gif congrats to you and thank you for posting that!! wub.gif

excellent way of describing it, "It has been a VERY gradual process, not like I just stopped getting zits once I found the magical cure." It is a very gradual thing, and frustrating and difficult to notice! But once you reach that point where you are CLEAR, there's no mistaking it! Takes forever, but YEAH!! eusa_pray.gif

janeir - I do the BP in sections -- first my chin, then one cheek, then the other cheek, then my forehead. For my chin, I use maybe a quarter of a pea sized amount, literally just enough so that the entire area will get some. Each cheek takes about a half-pea sized amount, and the forehead is about the same as the chin. (I include my nose in the cheek portions -- left side of my nose gets done with my left cheek, right side with right cheek.) So it really is a very, very small amount. What of course I don't know is whether I could have STARTED with such a small amount and gotten acne-free, or whether it was necessary for me to go through the larger amount and then reduce it. I suspect the latter, because I had used BP in small amounts before without it really working.

surewhatever - Thanks for the congrats, and congrats to YOU also on becoming acne free!

greenbird